• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony engineers working on PS Vita "cost reduction" for post-2012 price cut

8byte

Banned
Hope you late adopters are ready for an inferior screen and cheaper parts! Reminds me a lot of early PS3 pricing.

"Too expensive! Price drop!"

*removes BC to drop price $100*

"No BC!? Will not buy!!!"

Taurus

With NFS, CoD, AC, Madden and new Fifa releasing before that ?
Are you kidding me? Why would any of those games make people want to buy a Vita? All I see is home console game, B-team spin-off, spin-off, home console game and home console game.

It's the fucking PSP all over again. People want home console experiences on a handheld? Yeah, well PSP sure showed how that worked out.

What about them? They were redesigned for cost reduction without features being removed, infact some, like the screen, even were improved.

So saying "The same way the Sony engineers made the PS3 price cut possible (cutting BC, Other OS). " when we have a precedent of the oposite happening with it's predecessor makes little sense.

I mean, what would they even do? Remove one stick? Remove the back trackpad? Remove the software based PS1 emu?
Shitty low end vita with shitty LCD incoming

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I continue to think that it's more a software issue, and that Sony could cut the price by $100 with no impact beyond a sizable initial bump and a modest increase in the weekly sales baseline, but hey. Not like we'll ever find out.

It's definitely both things, but why risking bad sales because of price with appealing software when you can attack from both sides?
We coulda had the answer with the 3DS, but we'll never know because SM3DL launched after the price cut

Are you kidding me? Why would any of those games make people want to buy a Vita? All I see is home console game, B-team spin-off, spin-off, home console game and home console game.

It's the fucking PSP all over again. People want home console experiences on a handheld? Yeah, well PSP sure showed how that worked out.

The PSP had JRPGs...Date Sims....

While that may look like a dis. I love my PSP and I love my JRPGs.

They really should have put internal memory in the Vita. Even if it was only 4GB. I don't think people would be bitching so much about the $250 cost if they didn't HAVE to buy ridiculously overpriced memory too. I realize they are probably trying to make up for a loss on the system itself, but they went too far. They should have at least gone no higher than this:

4GB - $14.99 (or maybe they shouldn't have even bothered with this one)
8GB - $29.99
16GB - $44.99

You know, that's already about the street price for those cards online. 4GB cards are frequently tossed in for free and 32GB cards hover around $75-80. In any case, the pricing of the memory cards was always about appeasing brick and mortar retailers who would not want to carry a system where every game is available digitally day one otherwise.

Personally I was able to get a used Vita with a 16GB card for $200 flat on eBay. Considering you're getting the most powerful mobile hardware available the Vita is a tremendous value at its current price.

Derrick01

Banned
Sweet, I'll hold off buying one until they cut the price then.

Yeah I've been struggling with the choice of which handheld I want this holiday season but I think this will push me towards 3DS. I would be pissed to buy a vita only to have the price cut 6 months later. $250 + whatever the price of the memory unit is a bit too much for me.

8byte

Banned
PSP screens have improved, not the other way around. And the "low end" was 8 years after release.

Yes, but LCD technology was also improving and becoming cheaper, and those revisions were also further apart.

Panic mode Sony isn't known for improving products to drop the price (see: 40gb PS3). This new Vita very well may be a lesser product to sell more units. It is entirely possibly that the OLED screen will get ditched to save money.

Edit: It'll be interesting to see the people who won't buy it know and are waiting for the revision pay top dollar for launch units with better build quality and features, haha. It's literally PS3 all over again.

Sony should have priced it at $399 like most people expected and then dropped it to $250 for the holidays. This is what they get for trying to sell products at a reasonable price.

PSP screens have improved, not the other way around. And the "low end" was 8 years after release.
PSP didnt use the most expensive screen technology in modern tech though. Oleds are crazy expensive and is the most expensive component in the vita. I suspect they'll keep the oled vita as its premium model and launch a cheaper LCD vita that will cost like 70$ less.

1. Fifa has been on top of PSP software charts for years.
2. Those 70 milions of PSP owners sure not wanted console experience on the go ;)

kuroshiki

Vita without OLED screen?

Some of you guys are insane. You guys actually want to trade zero lagging with 5 to 10 ms? And you call yourself a gamer. huh.

Miles X

This isn't the PS3, they can't afford to cruise along until they can afford a cut and expect everything to be rosey. I dread seeing Vita sales this xmas, they're going to be abysmal.

8byte

Banned
Vita without OLED screen?

Some of you guys are insane. You guys actually want to trade zero lagging with 5 to 10 ms? And you call yourself a gamer. huh.

No one wants to trade that, they just want their cake and eat it too, which simply isn't possible in Sony's current position. You either pony up money for quality hardware, or you wait it out and buy the inferior model at a lower price. It also sends a message to Sony that gamers simply aren't interested in affordable quality hardware with new technology. Vita + PS3 will have significant impact on PS4, and I doubt we'll see cutting edge tech in it as a result.

Iacobellis

It worked fine for the PSP. The PSP was outselling the DS until the Lite was released.

I like the people saying "the system is fairly priced, EXCEPT for the memory cards." Is the system even usable without a large memory card for the majority of the content?

Then perhaps you'd be more interested in the PlayStation Mobile line-up/upcoming PSN games. So much venom on this forum sometimes.

b3b0p

Wasn't it GAF that when the Vita was announced for $250 with all the features people were going crazy and saying they were surprised how *cheap* it was and thought it was going to be more?

Taurus

1. Fifa has been on top of PSP software charts for years.
2. Those 70 milions of PSP owners sure not wanted console experience on the go ;)
1. Because some customers actually bought a PSP, and that is not happening with Vita.
2. So how about those PSP software sales, can you give me some numbers to back up your claims? Afaik, people bought a PSP, then installed a custom firmware and pirated games or used it for emulators.

It worked fine for the PSP. The PSP was outselling the DS until the Lite was released.
Were you around when PSP launched? It was supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread. It was the almighty Playstation in a portable form, and it was sure to trounce Nintendo from their handheld throne. The hype was exceptional, and launch numbers were great. But in the end it absolutely didn't work fine for PSP, see abysmal software sales.

Wasn't it GAF that when the Vita was announced for $250 with all the features people were going crazy and saying they were surprised how *cheap* it was and thought it was going to be more?

Game journalists as well, but cheap should be determined by sales, not by manufacturing cost.

"The reaction to the hardware platform itself has been very strong," he said. "We are very pleased with the response we got. It's up to our expectations in terms of what we were hoping for in bringing PS Vita to the market.

If that part is true, wow. "We expected a bomb, and we got a bomb. Boom!" I'm sure their stockholders love that.

In the light of how weak the 3DS was/is, the Vita seemed like a huge bargain at the same price.

Miles X

If that part is true, wow. "We expected a bomb, and we got a bomb. Boom!" I'm sure their stockholders love that.

In the light of how weak the 3DS was/is, the Vita seemed like a huge bargain at the same price.

They don't care about their stockholds one bit, they've proven that over the years. And just recently refusing to share the split between PSP/Vita shipments.

Iacobellis

1. Because some customers actually bought a PSP, and that is not happening with Vita.
2. So how about those PSP software sales, can you give me some numbers to back up your claims? Afaik, people bought a PSP, then installed a custom firmware and pirated games or used it for emulators.

Were you around when PSP launched? It was supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread. It was the almighty Playstation in a portable form, and it was sure to trounce Nintendo from their handheld throne. The hype was exceptional, and launch numbers were great.

Yes I was and I just praised it with my post. I had gotten it as a gift by surprise shortly after the US launch and it could not put it down for days. It was a beefed up PS2 with more functionality than the iPod's at the time, it was just something else that no one had seen before. Piracy and lack of support from Sony in the later years is what ruined the platform.

Tobor

Everybody assumed that price would include internal storage.

Endo Punk

Don't cae about price drop I don't think the system is that expensive, just wow me at TGS like you did at Gamescom then you have a deal.

Hope you late adopters are ready for an inferior screen and cheaper parts! Reminds me a lot of early PS3 pricing.

"Too expensive! Price drop!"

*removes BC to drop price $100*

"No BC!? Will not buy!!!"

Sony's first price drop of the PS3 was at E3 2007 of $100. Seven months after launch and BC was still a part of the unit.

I like the people saying "the system is fairly priced, EXCEPT for the memory cards." Is the system even usable without a large memory card for the majority of the content?

If you're mostly buying retail games.

If you're at all interested in PSN titles, PSP games and going pure digital you should get at least a 16GB card. I think it sits at the most palatable price point. Frankly, the joy of having like 20 game on your Vita at all times, between minis, PSN only and full blown retail releases, is totally worth the price of the memory. At ~$45 the 16GB card is less than a year of XBox Live Gold. It's less than it costs to upgrade a Google Nexus 7 from 8GB to 16GB. It's half as much to upgrade an iPad or iPhone by the same amount of memory.

diamount

Banned
What a bad situation. I'd say the current price is fair with all the features you get, but you have to do things to move more units.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
They're probably going to shit up a new model of the thing, and not add TV-out (the one thing I'd actually want from a revision.) Might as well take advantage of one of the deals floating about than wait for the inevitable bootleg model.

The price was announced with specs. I don't think ANYONE expected internal storage. Especially since mem cards were announced as well (with no pricing).

Most people were expecting some minimal flash storage for saves, and did not expect the memory cards to be required for so many games. Tretton even said that there would be internal storage at one point and it took almost a week following the conference for them to clear that up.

8byte

Banned
Sony's first price drop of the PS3 was at E3 2007 of $100. Seven months after launch and BC was still a part of the unit.

Sorry, my memory is hazy. It was the MGS4 unit, correct? With the half-half BC (emulated CPU and physical GPU)? Even still, the amount of gamers hunting 60GB units at high prices was rather amusing to me, and I think we'll see something similar if the next Vita iteration is "gimped" comparatively.

It's good that they realize it for sure but that quote still irks me. I'm in that camp that believes Vita had the strongest launch lineup in PS history as far as quality goes. However, franchises like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, etc have all been crucial parts of Playstation and SE and Capcom were some of the biggest and most successful PSP publishers. I think it's weird that he'd be taken aback by the idea that people want these franchises on Vita before they invest. These publishers have shown zero indication that they want to support the platform with games like that.

As a matter of fact those publishers have shown indication that they do not want to support the vita.

I won't even entertain the idea of getting a vita until they have some build on storage on the damn thing. It should be standard in this day and age.

Were you around when PSP launched? It was supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread. It was the almighty Playstation in a portable form, and it was sure to trounce Nintendo from their handheld throne. The hype was exceptional, and launch numbers were great. But in the end it absolutely didn't work fine for PSP, see abysmal software sales.

Chains of Olympus sold 3 milion copies on PSP:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476940

Sorry, my memory is hazy. It was the MGS4 unit, correct? With the half-half BC (emulated CPU and physical GPU)? Even still, the amount of gamers hunting 60GB units at high prices was rather amusing to me, and I think we'll see something similar if the next Vita iteration is "gimped" comparatively.

No, that was 2008. The second price drop happened just 5 months after the first drop with the introduction of the 40 gig.

So released in Nov 2006. First price cut in June 2007 then second price cut in November 2007. So the PS3 got in fact two price cuts in its first year.

Top Bottom