• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony engineers working on PS Vita "cost reduction" for post-2012 price cut

Duxxy3

Super LCD
Memory change of some sort
Remove a luxury feature or two
Yada yada yada

$199 with storage of some sort.

Would you say that the 60GB ps3 and the 120GB ps3 are different systems?
The PS3 and the Vita aren't really comparable here. Name all of the features that can be reasonably stripped from the Vita. There aren't many. Sony was dumb to include PS2 hardware chips in the PS3 from the beginning and stripped them out later to save costs. What is going to be stripped from the Vita? Completely changing the screen and the structure of the memory for the system would be pretty huge changes at this point. If they are going to go that extreme to save $50 per system then they might as well start over.

Gravijah

The only way I would consider that kind of downgrade is screens would be with an HDMI out inclusion and dropping the proprietary memory.

i don't see how it would be a downgrade, since you wouldn't get horrible vertical lines on certain colors on a large number of units.

The PS3 and the Vita aren't really comparable here. Name all of the features that can be reasonably stripped from the Vita. There aren't many. Sony was dumb to include PS2 hardware chips in the PS3 from the beginning and stripped them out later to save costs. What is going to be stripped from the Vita? Completely changing the screen and the structure of the memory for the system would be pretty huge changes at this point. If they are going to go that extreme to save $50 per system then they might as well start over.

OLED can certainly be reasonably stripped from Vita. No game requires it to run. It's just a visual thing. OLED is probably the biggest cost component as well.

i don't see how it would be a downgrade, since you wouldn't get horrible vertical lines on certain colors on a large number of units.

But what if i got a perfect one ;_;

boiled goose

good with gravy
hmmm.

announcing a pricecut now that will not happen till next year is silly.
now ppl will hold out on buying one during the holidays... :/

KalBalboa

Banned
$250 bundles this holiday are a must.

$250 for a wifi, a game and a 4 gig (I know, I know) or $300 for a 3g, game, and 8 gig.

We have a Madden, Assasin's Creed, and Call of Duty bundles coming stateside. Any word on that LBP one?

Jack Tretton said removing BC didn't save money, they just wanted you to buy PS3 games.

OLED can certainly be reasonably stripped from Vita. No game requires it to run. It's just a visual thing. OLED is probably the biggest cost component as well.
It would take a complete change in the manufacturing process and in other parts of the system. OLED screens in general have better power efficiency then LCD screens. This would have to be accounted for when redesigning everything. There is also no guarantee as to how current games will look on a different screen or how the public will react to a complete downgrade in a product.

iammeiam

$250 bundles this holiday are a must.

$250 for a wifi, a game and a 4 gig (I know, I know) or $300 for a 3g, game, and 8 gig.

We have a Madden, Assasin's Creed, and Call of Duty bundles coming stateside. Any word on that LBP one?

So far Madden and AC have had their memory cards removed (Madden bundle box even says you'll need to go buy a memory card for many game features to work), LBP has a price but no word of memory card, and CoD bundle has a memory card but no price. Given the CoD bundle also includes a case, I think, expect it to come in over $250.

The bundles seem to basically be boxed free-game-with-Vita deals so far.

Duxxy3

There have been a few smart phones that needed to change from oled to super LCD because of oled shortages. I don't believe they changed anything internally on the phone.
Also, I don't believe tretton for a second regarding bc. Removing something from a product DOES make it cheaper to make.

Ok I will buy the same model when the new model out.

Most of times, the new model will feel cheap plastic.

I feel the same way about that as we saw with each PSP release. I'll hold on to my 3G model till a 3rd or 4th revision comes out in a few years with more features.

KalBalboa

Banned
So far Madden and AC have had their memory cards removed (Madden bundle box even says you'll need to go buy a memory card for many game features to work), LBP has a price but no word of memory card, and CoD bundle has a memory card but no price. Given the CoD bundle also includes a case, I think, expect it to come in over $250.

The bundles seem to basically be boxed free-game-with-Vita deals so far.

Yeah, you're basically getting a $40 freebie.

I'm guessing $300 for the Call of Duty Vita pack then. What size card does it come with, 4 gig? 8?

what's going on this thread
tumblr_kw5wafVbFO1qzftyro1_250.gif

iammeiam

Yeah, you're basically getting a $40 freebie.

I'm guessing $300 for the Call of Duty Vita pack then. What size card does it come with, 4 gig? 8?

I actually can't find a source cofirming the memory card anymore--I thought I read there was one, but everywhere just refers to the custom Vita, game, and pouch. So maybe no bundles will include a memory card after all?

The price is not the problem whatsoever. The Vita will see a very minor uptick in sales post price drop. When the Vita was announced, GAF thought that the price was fair and people were expecting it to be more expensive. The price is indeed fair for the hardware. Now GAF thinks that a price drop is magically going to drive sales. The answer is no.

Duxxy3

The price is not the problem whatsoever. The Vita will see a very minor uptick in sales post price drop. When the Vita was announced, GAF thought that the price was fair and people were expecting it to be more expensive. The price is indeed fair for the hardware. Now GAF thinks that a price drop is magically going to drive sales. The answer is no.

It was released a year after it was shown. By the time it came out it wasn't a good deal compared to what came out in that year.

KAL2006

Banned
I actually can't find a source cofirming the memory card anymore--I thought I read there was one, but everywhere just refers to the custom Vita, game, and pouch. So maybe no bundles will include a memory card after all?

Retailers and online stores will probably still bundle a memory card anyway. Here in the UK many Vita's come with a memory packed in for free anyway.

winjet81

Bad move talking about price reduction.

Now everyone who was about to break down and buy one are going to play the waiting game.

Anyone who really wants Vita badly enough can currently buy it off craigslist for sub $200, with a game, memory card and no tax.

The trolls in this thread aren't going to play a 'waiting game'... if they're too cheap to buy a Vita at $250, then they also aren't going wait over a year after it's released to save 50 measly dollars.

FishyJoe

Neo Member
By the time the Vita gets a price deduction, there will be sub $200 tablets with ultra hi-res displays and quad-core processers from every major manufacturer. The Vita will look last gen when compared to these newer devices. The only people that will buy the Vita will be niche customers by that time.

Oh wait, only the niche customers are buying now.

The problem with the Vita memory cards is that I can only use them on that device, and I have to pay a lot of money to do so. On the flip side, I can easily purchase a 32 GB SD card for my 3DS for $30 and use it in my digital cameras or computers.

liger05

Sony need to have a look at what nintendo did with the 3DS. No waiting around, no denials, just decisive action to turn things around.

Sony's attitude considering the Vita is performing way worse than the 3DS surprises me. They dont have the time to hang about!!

Banned
Remove the rear touchpad. Useless feature. I hated it in UC and turn it off in FIFA. I wonder how much it costs to implement it?

My real concern with the vita is the price for the Memory card, not the price of the handheld. The handheld is beefy enough to warrant the price tag. It just needs the games and cheaper memory.

Yopis

By the time the Vita gets a price deduction, there will be sub $200 tablets with ultra hi-res displays and quad-core processers from every major manufacturer. The Vita will look last gen when compared to these newer devices. The only people that will buy the Vita will be niche customers by that time.

Oh wait, only the niche customers are buying now.

Buy one of those then dude. Vita was never about keeping up with tablets, hell tablets will catch 720/PS4 as well. Will pure gaming devices die once tablet specs surpass them? PC blows away PS3 and 360 now, have they stopped selling? Either the value is there and you want a Vita or not. Really simple dude.

Nekki

If they remove OLED, i see a lot of complaints and Sony boycotts.

What will really happen is people will just bend over and take it, since that's all that actually happens when consumers are screwed like this.

Fixed1979

If they remove OLED, i see a lot of complaints and Sony boycotts.

What will really happen is people will just bend over and take it, since that's all that actually happens when consumers are screwed like this.

Who's getting screwed? The people who paid more and got a piece of tech that reflected that price, or the people who paid less and got a piece of tech that reflected that price?

Sid

This sounds like a revision for next fall,
$199
Slimmer vita and a new form factor(slider?)
Some form of internal storage just for saves

would be awesome,the game library would've grown big by then too

Sid

Who's getting screwed? The people who paid more and got a piece of tech that reflected that price, or the people who paid less and got a piece of tech that reflected that price?
I don't think that should happen,it'll be like ps3 without blu-ray or 3ds without the 3d though in that case it's pretty much useless but it was a major selling point for it

abic

Banned
I'd like better battery life, and I'll buy that immediately. More content is important too, so that I know the platform is here to stay.

I don't think that should happen,it'll be like ps3 without blu-ray or 3ds without the 3d though in that case it's pretty much useless but it was a major selling point for it

What OLED is no where near as big of a selling point as Blu Ray or 3D for the 3DS. People designed there games around the extra space of a blu ray disc and 3d of the 3DS. The only thing that would change with the removal of OLED is a slight change in how the game appeared.

Karuyag

I think they should separate the face buttons and dpad from the analog sticks more... like WAY further... hard to play that thing without accidentally nudging the analog stick... doesnt help that both dpad and face buttons are smaller than the PSP's...

Top Bottom