• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony engineers working on PS Vita "cost reduction" for post-2012 price cut

If they cut the screen it will play out just like PS2 BC. People wouldn't buy a PS3 until they cut the price, they removed the BC to cut the price, and people are still complaining about it to this day. If Sony kills the OLED to cut the price of the Vita, plenty of people clamoring for a price drop today will be up in arms about Sony cutting features.

Sony dropped the price of the PS3 7 months after launch by $100 and kept in BC at the time.

Vitacat

we need apps, man, apps.

vita hardware is fantastic, i don't want to use it just for games

THIS.

If Vita had something akin the the iOS app store, I would be much more inclined to buy a Vita. I would love to have a small tablet/game device with good controls, and Vita has the hardware for it. But Sony is Sony.

Silvawuff

I think some consumers are holding out specifically because the choice is:

1. Early adapt, pay more, deal with lack of games and support.
2. Wait, system may get redesign and/or price drop like PSP did, more interesting games will be available by then for cheaper.

I love the concept of the handheld, but I'm willing to wait because I like option two better.

They'd be stupid to drop the OLED. Most phones use it nowadays so there can't be much of a difference between that and a good quality LCD. I can't see Sony slapping a piece of shit LCD on the vita for the sake of cost cutting. If they're going to go that far, just fucking cancel the vita altogether.
Hahaahahahaha

P90

Why didn't people pick up a Vita when Gamestop had the $50 gift card with a Vita purchase back in June? True, the Vita didn't technically cost $199, but it is close enough for horseshoes for me.

The memory cards need to be bigger and cheaper, like now. Also, why would someone want a Vita without the OLED screen?

The 3DS and Vita complement each other very well. Hopefully their libraries will reflect this like the DS and the PSP.

kuroshiki

Why didn't people pick up a Vita when Gamestop had the $50 gift card with a Vita purchase back in June? True, the Vita didn't technically cost $199, but it is close enough for horseshoes for me.

The memory cards need to be bigger and cheaper, like now. Also, why would someone want a Vita without the OLED screen?

The 3DS and Vita complement each other very well. Hopefully their libraries will reflect this like the DS and the PSP.

Not only that amazon was giving $50 gift card for vita too about 1-2 months ago.

Those people who are 'waiting' for price drop makes no sense to me... why not grab it when there was a deal?

Christmas is coming. I'm waiting for 50 bucks off the device plus 50 dollars in giftcards. That way I can probably combine it with some other obscure deal and maybe get a game or two or a discount on a 32 gb card. Considering ys 4 and killzond aren't going to be out for a while, it is no rush.

My problem was by the time I bought my psp go, there were loads of games available. More got released and I found some others so it became a truly awesome console for me. I love the vita and want to support it, but if the deals have already been going on like they are now, Christmas is sure to be bonkers.

If they had added a video out, I would have purchased a Vita long ago.

I'm not paying $40 for a handheld game that I don't have the option of playing on a big screen. Sony deliberately omitted the feature for fear that it might canabalize PS3 sales, which is fine because if they want me to defer to my PS3, I'll defer to my PS3. I'll play console game prices for handheld games once I'm attended by the same experience. And no, the ability to play on the go doesn't justify the price nor does it make up the difference.

kuroshiki

If they had added a video out, I would have purchased a Vita long ago.

I'm not paying $40 for a handheld game that I don't have the option of playing on a big screen. Sony deliberately omitted the feature for fear that it might canabalize PS3 sales, which is fine because if they want me to defer to my PS3, I'll defer to my PS3. I'll play console game prices for handheld games once I'm attended by the same experience. And no, the ability to play on the go doesn't justify the price nor does it make up the difference.

What t... I don't even... you fucking serious?

Razgreez

Put them side by side, and besides the deeper blacks, the Xperia S has a better screen. You're blind if you dont think so.

I have both and have put them side by side and played games on both of them. Seriously, there is no contest. Xperia S looks great for watching videos but for playing games, nope. Not even close.

I've actually, as yet, not watched a movie/video on my vita

What t... I don't even... you fucking serious?

hahaha, i rest my case

Good to know. I should let Sony know I'm working on my PS Vita "purchase incentive". Unfortunately, it seems to be taking some time.

HoodWinked

That thing is physically good looking. Damn.

nah it looks real cheap
psp7.jpg

and this is how it opens lol.
psp5.jpg

FishyJoe

Neo Member
Buy one of those then dude. Vita was never about keeping up with tablets, hell tablets will catch 720/PS4 as well. Will pure gaming devices die once tablet specs surpass them? PC blows away PS3 and 360 now, have they stopped selling? Either the value is there and you want a Vita or not. Really simple dude.

PC/Console comparison is a bad one. PCs are not lower priced with higher specs than consoles. Plus you don't have to carry PCs or Consoles around with you in your pockets or bag.

It's the mainstream consumer that is lacking in Vita sales. They will go to the store and see what they can get for $200. If the tablet has better performance and more utility, with the ability to play decent games, the mainstream consumer will be satisfied with one device. And without the mainstream consumer, there will never be enough consumers to entice third party developers to spend heavily in the platform.

In short, yes, gaming only devices such as the Vita will die if tablets have higher specs and lower prices. There may be some niche children/low budget devices that exist however that require minimum development effort.

P90

PC/Console comparison is a bad one. PCs are not lower priced with higher specs than consoles. Plus you don't have to carry PCs or Consoles around with you in your pockets or bag.

It's the mainstream consumer that is lacking in Vita sales. They will go to the store and see what they can get for $200. If the tablet has better performance and more utility, with the ability to play decent games, the mainstream consumer will be satisfied with one device. And without the mainstream consumer, there will never be enough consumers to entice third party developers to spend heavily in the platform.

In short, yes, gaming only devices such as the Vita will die if tablets have higher specs and lower prices. There may be some niche children/low budget devices that exist however that require minimum development effort.

The Wii had the mainstream consumer. Third parties hardly came to the party. Otherwise, I agree that tablets and iPod touch grabs game time and mindshare away from the dedicated handhelds. I see it with my own kids to a small degree, but especially with their friends.

The Wii had the mainstream consumer. Third parties hardly came to the party.

That's because 3rd party publishers treated the Wii like a red-headed stepchild while they treated the 360 & PS3 like A-list celebrities, all because of "HD power & graphics!".

And most studios had went under as a result. Link.

entremet

Sony went too bleeding edge with the Vita and it came back to bite them. Heck, I love the hardware, but in terms of making an affordable and sustainable platform they goofed. Thought they'd learn from the PS3.

Forever

Banned
Sony went too bleeding edge with the Vita and it came back to bite them. Heck, I love the hardware, but in terms of making an affordable and sustainable platform they goofed. Thought they'd learn from the PS3.

What else could they have done though?

itxaka

Defeatist
So happy that I got a launch one with all the features.

It's funny that while other console makers seem to improve their consoles (360 red ring) or cut the price to improve (3ds) so you want to hold on a bit before buying them, with Sony it's the opposite, if you want the full package you need to buy it at launch before they cut things from them (psx (com port), ps2 (HDD bay, digital output??), ps3 (ps2 compat, usbs, card reader), psp (lot of things, don't know them)).

So if you want a full vita, buy it now!

entremet

What else could they have done though?

Design a more modest platform that can be competitively priced without having to bleed money on price drops?

The big issue with PSP is that it didn't really sell much software in Western terrorities. Piracy may be to blame there.

Their success with their home consoles was having a competitively priced product that allowed 3rd parties to flourish. With the Vita they misread the market and when for a bleeding edge standalone gaming device.

Design a more modest platform that can be competitively priced without having to bleed money on price drops?

The big issue with PSP is that it didn't really sell much software in Western terrorities. Piracy may be to blame there.

Their success with their home consoles was having a competitively priced product that allowed 3rd parties to flourish. With the Vita they misread the market and when for a bleeding edge standalone gaming device.

Eh, that´s wrong way to look at things. First the Vita needed to be fresh after 4-5 years. With the advancement of mobile devices techs, Sony had to pack as much power as possible, for Sony the Vita to be relevant in the future. Besides these are off shelf components, so their price should go down in a year.

Bleeding edge ? Smartphones already reached parity with Vita hardware (SGS 3) and it needs to last 4-5 more years without any upgrades.

turnbuckle

It's nice to have options so I guess having smartphone app equivalents is fine, but if I want to use them I'd do it on my smartphone instead. Unless apps means games, then it depends on if it's better with buttons or touchscreen. I want games for my vita. Everything else mostly feels inferior or less viable than using my smartphone.

The OLED needs to stay. It's perfect. Other components should get smaller and cheaper over time, and Sony needs to be willing to accept losses on dropping the price. They're losing money anyways, better to do that while managing to push successful hardware.

kuroshiki

It's nice to have options so I guess having smartphone app equivalents is fine, but if I want to use them I'd do it on my smartphone instead. Unless apps means games, then it depends on if it's better with buttons or touchscreen. I want games for my vita. Everything else mostly feels inferior or less viable than using my smartphone.

The OLED needs to stay. It's perfect. Other components should get smaller and cheaper over time, and Sony needs to be willing to accept losses on dropping the price. They're losing money anyways, better to do that while managing to push successful hardware.

They are already losing money for each unit sold. I wouldn't be surprised if OLED is replaced with something cheapo. Apparently consumers don't really care.

Jarnet87

Not buying A Vita for a very long time, two price cuts or so. Not a Vita game in sight that I want to buy, so for me a $250 machine to play PS1 games is not viable. I'll buy one when it hits 150-175 or so.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That thing is physically good looking. Damn.

It's amazing how cheap feeling things can look good in photos and vice versa. That PSP is something you'd never mistake for the cheapest device imaginable when you see it in real life. It looks like some kind of Chinese knockoff when compared to PSP1000 or PSP Go.

saichi

Not only that amazon was giving $50 gift card for vita too about 1-2 months ago.

Those people who are 'waiting' for price drop makes no sense to me... why not grab it when there was a deal?

because those deal might still be there AFTER the price drop and there is nothing really make "those people" must buy the VITA right now?

I have both and have put them side by side and played games on both of them. Seriously, there is no contest. Xperia S looks great for watching videos but for playing games, nope. Not even close.

I've actually, as yet, not watched a movie/video on my vita

Well obviously games would look better since Vita games are far superior graphically. But we're arguing about the screen and the S has the better screen.

That review is a load of bs, just look at the comments. He's favoring Apple in the most obvious way. He's probably thinking: Oh well, if I have to review a Sony product, why not bash another one so people wouldn't come to the oh so funny idea of buying any. Two birds birds with one stone, etc etc...

Seriously....

SkylineRKR

Obviously they had to come up with something that would eclipse the PSP. The only advantage the PSP had over the DS was graphics. So making the sequel to the PSP a powerhouse was common knowledge.

Ofcourse they misread the market. If they actually did read it properly they should've called it a day for the handheld market and just let the PSP continue on territories where its still deemed relevant and just invest in home console entertainment as its their most prominent ace. Handheld gaming isn't what it once was, even powerhouse Nintendo is kind of struggling outside of Japan. They already did see the lacklustre reponse to the 250 bucks 3DS launch period, which already included more succesful handheld IP than Sony has, so I don't know what Sony was thinking. They also lost MH, and MH pretty much carried the PSP during its final 2 years or so. Europe and US largely left the PSP for dead for years now, and Japan just kept buying PSP's because they wanted to play MH.

Top Bottom