• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony engineers working on PS Vita "cost reduction" for post-2012 price cut

Sid

What OLED is no where near as big of a selling point as Blu Ray or 3D for the 3DS. People designed there games around the extra space of a blu ray disc and 3d of the 3DS. The only thing that would change with the removal of OLED is a slight change in how the game appeared.
It's one of the main selling points for vita albeit not as big as blu-ray for ps3

If they cut the screen it will play out just like PS2 BC. People wouldn't buy a PS3 until they cut the price, they removed the BC to cut the price, and people are still complaining about it to this day. If Sony kills the OLED to cut the price of the Vita, plenty of people clamoring for a price drop today will be up in arms about Sony cutting features.

If they cut the screen it will play out just like PS2 BC. People wouldn't buy a PS3 until they cut the price, they removed the BC to cut the price, and people are still complaining about it to this day. If Sony kills the OLED to cut the price of the Vita, plenty of people clamoring for a price drop today will be up in arms about Sony cutting features.

Sony would have never been in these situations if they haven't made their products so expensive by including multiple features, & then to sell them at huge losses.

Sid

Sony would have never been in these situations if they haven't made their products so expensive by including multiple features, & then to sell them at a huge loss.
Vita is not being sold at a huge loss,break even or at a profit,even better if you include the price of a card

SkylineRKR

If they drop OLED for something shitty, then...

8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

us early adaptors have some collectors item on our hands.

But the back touch seems to be a missfire. Sad, because I thought it had great potential when it was unveiled. I thought it would be great for browsing and navigating because the screen would be kept clean and visible. But I have to say it sucks, way too much accidental stuff going on with it.

It's one of the main selling points for vita albeit not as big as blu-ray for ps3

I really don't think OLED is a huge selling point for Vita. Sony has never focused on it in any advertising I've seen. Maybe to gaf, but I doubt anyone else even cares.

Sony would have never been in these situations if they haven't made their products so expensive by including multiple features, & then to sell them at huge losses.

So you're saying they should have never included PS2 BC in the first place? I wonder how well that would have gone over.

In bold: Didn't say that, but other features, like Blu-Ray & the Cell Processor inside the PS3, & the OLED screen on Vita.

I see where you're coming from, but personally I would not be able to do without the OLED on Vita. It's one of the biggest features for me.

It's true that they don't really market it, but every time I've seen someone play with or see a Vita for the first time, the screen is the very first thing they comment on. If they can somehow make the price of entry more appealing without removing the OLED, it can definitely become a strong selling point just by word of mouth.

I think they should separate the face buttons and dpad from the analog sticks more... like WAY further... hard to play that thing without accidentally nudging the analog stick... doesnt help that both dpad and face buttons are smaller than the PSP's...

Somebody feels how I do!! :)

me personally, I want them to make it wider and thinner with contours on the back maybe to grip on.

Maybe get rid of the back touch pad.

I think for me also, I think they should do a slider model, if they can get the slimness down.

The Vita is like 7 in wide. Even if they cut the total width to 5in (with screen being 4 1/2 wide, leaving room for bezel, speakers holes, or whatever).

Would leave 5 inches of width across to lay buttons and stick on the botton slider. DS3 is about 5 1/2 in wide. I think that should be plenty of room to separate the sticks from the d-pad and buttons more.

Plus if they can figure out a way to embed the sticks deeper into base and so it will slide shut of course.

They can work hand in hand with the PS mobile stuff, so it can run apps easier and the user can just use it as a straight "mini tablet" if they want, so they can still palm it (like a Galaxy note) when you just want to browse or play some simpler stuff that just uses the touch screen.

I see where you're coming from, but personally I would not be able to do without the OLED on Vita. It's one of the biggest features for me.

It's true that they don't really market it, but every time I've seen someone play with or see a Vita for the first time, the screen is the very first thing they comment on. If they can somehow make the price of entry more appealing without removing the OLED, it can definitely become a strong selling point just by word of mouth.

Well I don't think they should automatically go to dropping the screen but if they can't get Vita down to 179-199 without losing money they should instead of keeping it at 250 to die.
Lolwhat? Geez, talk about make your own misguided interpretation.

The market has already decided that 250 is a bad price. Now they're telling people a price drop will come next year before the holidays.

Shahed

OLED is pretty important to me. I've held off on playing several of my PSP games that I bought on PSN. The main reason was so I could play them on an OLED screen on the Vita

Aguirre

trouble is, is it not kinda impossible to have a price reduction? i mean they'll have to break even at least first after the research and development, advertising, etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol just exactly to whom is OLED a selling point? 95% of people probably assume its just LED and I bet those people barely know what that even means.

ohlawd

I'll wait for the price cut. I'm in no rush when the only games I'm interested in so far are P4G, Gravity Rush, Ys and AC3:L.

lol just exactly to whom is OLED a selling point? 95% of people probably assume its just LED and I bet those people barely know what that even means.

Agreed. I don't even think that OLED will become popular for gaming consoles or dedicated gaming handhelds until the generation after Wii U/PS4/720/3DS/Vita.

Diablos54

Hmm, I really don't know if dropping the price after 2012 is going to have that much effect (Apart from making me buy one), without a steady stream of system sellers arriving at the same time. Well, at least we know it's coming.

Raonak

Banned
It looks like a terrible (non) move, but it could convince people waiting for a price cut to stop waiting and finally get it. Maybe.

yeah, people who were on the fence, but wre waiting for a price cut first might just pick it up since its gonna take time gor a price drop.

Well I don't think they should automatically go to dropping the screen but if they can't get Vita down to 179-199 without losing money they should instead of keeping it at 250 to die.
So you think if the Vita stays at $250 with an OLED screen then it will die but if they replace the screen with a worse one and drop the price to $199 then it will sell like hotcakes? Why would anyone who saw the Vita screen before buy a gimped version later for $50 less?

So you think if the Vita stays at $250 with an OLED screen then it will die but if they replace the screen with a worse one and drop the price to $199 then it will sell like hotcakes? Why would anyone who saw the Vita screen before buy a gimped version later for $50 less?

Not sell like hotcakes, but there is no market for Vita at 250. There is no market for any dedicated handheld at 250. Also who has seen a Vita screen anyway in terms of sheer numbers? I still haven't seen a Vita out in public yet. Most of the general public doesn't even know Vita exists.

Kizer

Personally, I am going to wait to see where this goes. Right now does seem like a good time to invest in a vita (or at the very least be more serious about purchasing one). I wanted to grab one of those holiday bundle packs this year but perhaps it would be better to hold out and wait to see about this price drop? Worst case scenario I could always grab one used, I am sure.

Not sell like hotcakes, but there is no market for Vita at 250. There is no market for any dedicated handheld at 250. Also who has seen a Vita screen anyway in terms of sheer numbers? I still haven't seen a Vita out in public yet. Most of the general public doesn't even know Vita exists.
You are assuming that there is a market for a $200 Vita with downgraded technology and im not sure there is. Removing one of the most important components of the system to move from the $250 range to the $200 range doesnt really make sense to me. Luckily, Sony doesn't strike me as the type of company that will just hack up a product in hopes for a few more short term sales.

Nekki

Who's getting screwed? The people who paid more and got a piece of tech that reflected that price, or the people who paid less and got a piece of tech that reflected that price?

It is getting screwed, out of the possibility of buying such a device. It sure as hell matters.

I wonder how much the back touchpad factors in price, not much probably.

Alchemy

But the back touch seems to be a missfire..

I don't think back touch is that expensive, and it is going to be great for PSX emulation (emulating R2/L2 buttons). It works well as a supporting control mechanism, like in FIFA or Katamari. Features like that are never destined to be control dominating additions.

jaxpunk

Agreed. I don't even think that OLED will become popular for gaming consoles or dedicated gaming handhelds until the generation after Wii U/PS4/720/3DS/Vita.

Ya because cell phones, tablets and tvs don't already have this tech. The amount of dumb in this thread is mind numbing. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

How about removing the memory card slot? Make it download only? Remove touch and the analog stick. Replace the battery with a cheaper one. Maybe disable games with wifi.

spadge

Most of the general public doesn't even know Vita exists.

I think this is what sony really needs to work on. I've mentioned the vita to a few non-gamer friends and they have absoutley no idea what it is.

Ya because cell phones, tablets and tvs don't already have this tech. The amount of dumb in this thread is mind numbing. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

OLED TV's cost thousands for a tiny screen. I don't even think any tablets use OLED displays yet.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
No price cut this year

Companies will always say no price cut until the day they announce it. The OT does not add any insight to a price cut date, no matter what any one at Sony says.

They'd be stupid to drop the OLED. Most phones use it nowadays so there can't be much of a difference between that and a good quality LCD. I can't see Sony slapping a piece of shit LCD on the vita for the sake of cost cutting. If they're going to go that far, just fucking cancel the vita altogether.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, guess I'm gonna hold off 'till next year. Maybe I won't if get a good deal with the AssCreed bundle, but man a cheaper price would make it worth the wait I guess.

Remove all the touch components, and the second analog stick.

You're welcome. :)

So, uhm, make it a PSP2?

IrishNinja

Hahaahahaha. dumbest thing I've read on Gaf.

you havent been in many sony threads the last day or so eh
this one says the Vita will be dead by the price cut, and assumptions on the screen too, it's slowly building

Companies will always say no price cut until the day they announce it. The OT does not add any insight to a price cut date, no matter what any one at Sony says.

no no no; nintendo does that shit man, not sony
ps3 was just an exception

Top Bottom