• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files third trademark application for "The Last Guardian"

I just wonder if Shuhei reads Neogaf and is doing this on purpose to see our reactions. This has to be an inside joke at Sony now lol. If this isn't showcased at this upcoming E3, will everyone give up hope, or wait until next years E3 for another "reveal"?

At this point there's no point in even showing anything more until it's literally releasing the next day. People have overhyped the game based on a single trailer so anything that they should probably would be a disappointment or met with criticism of "it'll never come out". They might as well just have a big PR blowout the day it releases and see how many people buy it on hype alone. That worked pretty well for Duke Nukem Forever, at least initially, so I bet it would work alright here as well even if it is a bit of a different situation.

fy0kyk8.gif

;____;

Ueda said he isn't even working on it anymore. Who cares at this point.

Most of the people who worked on Shadows and Ico are no longer even at the company.

Wrong and wrong.

BibiMaghoo

I keep asking for links on this terrible news. Nothing stating he is no longer working on the game.

This was said November 2013. So he had finished some time prior to this.

In the latest issue of Edge magazine, Ueda open up about his feelings regarding the fact the game seems to be in limbo, as well as how the team remains motivated in the face of continuing upheaval.

"Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time," he explained.

"Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am.

"I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control."

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
"I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control."[/

I don't even understand what that last paragraph means. Is he saying it's basically not his fault ? Creative work ? Someone explains cause I can't even.

I don't even understand what that last paragraph means. Is he saying it's basically not his fault ? Creative work ? Someone explains cause I can't even.

Probably he just finished up concepts for the artwork of the game like character designs, possibly story elements, gameplay maybe, etc. It's all in the hands of the other developers and programmers to actually realize what he created though, which is much easier said than done, as the extreme delay has shown.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Probably he just finished up concepts for the artwork of the game like character designs, possibly story elements, gameplay maybe, etc. It's all in the hands of the other developers and programmers to actually realize what he created though, which is much easier said than done, as the extreme delay has shown.

Yeah OK, that's what I thought. He's probably a crazy perfectionist obsessing over super tiny details and expect nothing but the very best to match his vision, must be why it's been delayed so much.

I mean that's why SoTC is my favorite game ever and the masterpiece it is (well IMO at least), because it had so much talent put into realizing a clear, perfectly assembled vision through many details that make them all "click" together in the end. So if the team is the same and Ueda really still supervising the whole thing AND they moved it to PS4 with the complexity offered by the huge bump in power and details, well I can see why it's taking so long...

Not that it's any excuse, it's clearly become beyond ridiculous at this point. Though I wouldn't go as far as saying he's incompetent, you clearly don't release two games like ICO and SoTC by chance, but yeah, it hurts.

GnawtyDog

Banned
There is an old saying in Tennessee, I know this is NeoGaf, that says, "Fool me once, shame on....shame on you".....a fool me can't get fooled again!

I just wonder if Shuhei reads Neogaf and is doing this on purpose to see our reactions. This has to be an inside joke at Sony now lol. If this isn't showcased at this upcoming E3, will everyone give up hope, or wait until next years E3 for another "reveal"?

Tons of people, myself included, said that we would give up hope if we didn't see it at E3..... but we got hyped again anyways for TGS, and GC, and then PSX..... and now E3 again. It is pretty clear the hype won't ever die

Then again, I'm about to play FFXV for the first time so anything is possible

Based on what's been hinted by Ueda,etc, all around, I think this is a good educated guess:

As of end 2013, preproduction for TLG was completed, but it wasn't being actively developed at all. It was "on queue" waiting for the resources used for Knack and Puppeteer to be freed up before it could enter full production.

So creative work was "done", but production cannot start because the resources were pooled for other games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

It is not normal for a game director to just leave a project before full production has even begun. Ueda came up with some concepts, they put together a tech demo, and then after a few years of struggling he left the company. After that Sony never really put the game into full production.

If this game were truly in development then Ueda would not say 'my creative work is done' before the game has gone gold. If TLG still exists then it's not going to be a true follow-up to Ico and SotC, it can't be without Ueda leading the team.

Lemondish

My excitement for the inevitable re-reveal is caused in large part to the length of time this thing has been in development. I liked the original trailer, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this game has received such a ridiculously passionate following when it didn't actually show us much of anything during the announcement. Is it because its from Team ICO? Is that truly the only reason? Are they really that cherished by the gaming community to be so heavily scrutinized?

Hoje0308

Banned
Why are people insisting that Ueda is done with the project when he's still making comments about the game that only someone who is involved should know?

"Talks with Sony Computer Entertainment on The Last Guardian have been ironed out, and we’re making progress under completely new conditions," Ueda told Dengeki PlayStation. "I’m also working on some other things that I’ll hopefully be able to show in time if progress is smooth."

Anyone who still thinks the game is dead is beyond saving right now. You don't keep registering trademarks for dead/cancelled/non-existent games.

This costs like $225 in filing fees plus 1 hour of a lawyer's time. Why WOULDN'T they do it, if there is even a remote chance it will be completed. I don't think it is proof that the game is coming out, but certainly something is happening.

please still be happening

Why are people insisting that Ueda is done with the project when he's still making comments about the game that only someone who is involved should know?

On top of comments like that, I feel like Ueda's occasional comments on TLG's development and his role in it is largely taken-out-of-context. While he never went into detail about what's going on with the project, he has made some comments here and there that imo, gives a rather clear picture of what was going on at different point of times.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/22/ueda-puppeteer-and-knack-taking-priority-over-the-last-guardi/

"It's under earnest development," Ueda said. "However, SCE Japan Studio, who's working on The Last Guardian, also has titles like Puppeteer and Knack, and those are only the ones currently announced. Those are taking priority right now."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/the-last-guardian-ueda-terribly-sorry-for-delay

"I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control."

And while Shu called it a misquote, IMO, I think Jack Tretton's 'hiatus' thing wasn't entirely wrong.

The way I'm reading what Ueda is saying is that as of end 2013, pre-production of The Last Guardian was effectively completed. However, unlike the good old days of Japan Studio where he could have his team full-time on his game, he can't enter full production because full-production resources are taken up by Knack and Puppeteer. Both of those games have to ship first before he could get the programmers and artist of Japan Studio to start work on TLG.

Last night I had a dream that The Last Guardian was reintroduced as a Crash Bandicoot Revival.

It was called Crash Bandicoot: The Last Guardian, and it featured Crash Bandicoot talking and making witty comments.

I would be okay with this dream coming true.

Top Bottom