• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files third trademark application for "The Last Guardian"

Dice//

Banned
I have honestly stopped caring till I see a new gameplay video. Or be at risk of hyping up any more than it deserves right now.

WalkMan

Banned
How incompetent do you have to be to fuck around for this long and produce absolutely nothing?

Yea because there is actually a team sitting there twiddling their thumbs and not because the team members have been moved to prioritize other projects.

2thepoint

I just want this game to be reannounced so I don't have to read through another awkward E3 interview with Shuhei saying the same thing over and over again - I'd say he cannot wait to just let it be out in the open so the questions will stop.

I'd say E3 2015 is time, at least for a teaser.

Has he? Can you post a link?
He is working as a freelancer, but still very much leading it's develpment, as far as I know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734145

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

His work is done.

How incompetent do you have to be to fuck around for this long and produce absolutely nothing?

They weren't actively working on the game all this time. Team ICO is just a group of people at sony japan who liked working together. Most of them have been split working on different games across studio japan, and its not like the studio itSelf has released nothing lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734145

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

His work is done.
The way he clasifies his work as ''my creative work'' tells me that he is still working on the project. The creative process must surely be done, now it's the execution and programing that's the matter at hand. The technical aspects. He hasn't left.

Now, where is that ''The Last Guardian support group'' thread again?

Holy shit this is incredible
why can't chrome handle gifs this is ridiculous

Chrome has been awful with gifs for a million years, you can try this (posted by a Reddit user a day or two ago), but YMMV

Navigate to chrome://flags
Scroll down to the setting that reads:
Enable GPU rasterization. Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Use GPU to rasterize web content. Requires impl-side painting.
Enable it
Restart Chrome

If you can't change to GPU rasterization, you need to scroll to Override software rendering list and enable it.

Chrome basically hangs when trying to render gifs.

hemo memo

Gold Member
qh8yIyh.gif

Lmao this is great

Fury451

Banned
Actually it does. If Picasso announced he's gonna paint something new, you know it's going to be good. And that's for a reason. It's not just a random or shallow arrangement of stuff. It's a bold vision, delivered in a meaningful form.

What Ueda did with Ico and SotC is incredible on many many many levels. He is an artist first and foremost. Ico is a piece of art that no other game approaches even remotely except for SotC.

The simple fact that TLG is not out yet should clue you up on the fact that these games are not just there for show. They are released when they are ready, not when a arbitrary deadline has been reached.

So it's not abound blind faith. It's about complete and utter trust in the man behind these games. Unless his brain got some serious injury, I have complete trust in the fact that he will deliver something on par with his previous 2 masterpieces.

And I'm calling you "not a fan" because you seem blind to the artistic part of Ico.

i'm sorry if this reads very snobbish but I can't stand when people don't give Ico its due credit and go on on praising SotC.

I don't mind having a discussion, but I'm not sure why not liking Ico but praising SotC makes me "not a fan". I acknowledge the artistic merit of Ico. The game itself just does nothing for me really. I'm not sure what can be done to change that. By no means does that mean I can't acknowledge it's place in gaming history or view it as a relevant and important game. I don't like Picasso either for what it's worth, but I can appreciate his uniqueness and talent separately from my emotional indifference to the majority of his work. I'm more of Van Gogh fan personally ;)

To use your example further, you can acknowledge an artists' talent, but not love every work they make. Or put differently, one work may resound strongly and another less so. If games are art (which I believe), and art is highly subjective based on personal or emotional responses, it can't be helped if something just doesn't resonate unanimously. Ico isn't a bad game or anything which I never meant to imply; quite the opposite as I intended to say, it's just not one that I adore personally or one that I relate to with on any profound level from my own experience. I can say objectively it is art however.

That is why I don't believe that everything Team Ico puts out is destined to be a knockout. Sure, they're not rushing. That's great. But we know nothing of this game or why it should be getting heaps of hype and praise with nothing more than a concept trailer that is exceptionally old at this point. Will it be good based on the pedigree? Well, we shall say that the likelihood favors their track record, but it doesn't guarantee that it will have been worth the wait. That may be unfair however, so let me say this- their track record does not mean that this game will resonate with anyone as strongly as those works did automatically.

It's the same reason I didn't just assume Bloodborne would be amazing despite the enormous talent involved, though the odds favored it to be excellent (and indeed it appears that way). A piece of art (or any sort of product) still has to be judged on it's own merits, not solely because the artist or producer has made talented works in the past. Not doing so gives a "free pass" to anything just because.

This may seem like an off topic example, but I loved MGS3. I assumed MGS4 was going to be a game I loved. It wasn't. Lesson learned. I can appreciate what it was trying to do, and it succeeded highly in some areas, but overall it did not resonate with me in context of the series as strongly as I figured it would. Kojima still remains a visionary in my mind however, and MGS4 an important game despite what I would consider a series of disappointing and egregious story plot lines in 4. But I didn't care much for Ground Zeroes, and though I will be there for Phantom Pain, I wait to be impressed rather than giving the benefit of the doubt.

Khayam

Banned
If games are art (which I believe), and art is highly subjective based on personal or emotional responses, it can't be helped if something just doesn't resonate unanimously.

See, I don't believe that and maybe that's the core disagreement here. I believe gaming can be an art form but I'm also of the strong opinion that the vast majority aren't. Just like movies, some of them are pure entertainment and do not call for any artistic pretentions. Any random dude can have generic ideas and morph them into a movie or a game if given enough money. That's why I hold the actual artistic games in very high esteem. Most people don't even know what Ico is about and aren't able to judge for what it is.

Ico is a poetic game about a mother who is preparing a ritual to transfer her soul into the body of her young daughter. For the ritual to be successful, the mother needs to keep the young girl mind as empty as possible and to do that, she locks her up in suspended cage where she has no interaction with anything.

Ico is a boy from a neighbouring village who is supposed to be the last sacrifice for the ritual. But he rebels and frees the girl. And all the whil they are trying to escape, the player gets the opportunity to watch Yorda become a person instead of mindless body. She goes from a clunky AI that can't do anything by herself and that needs the player to hold her hand (one of the most amazing feature ever, combined with the vibration of the controller mimicking her pulsating heart) to an actual strong woman who ends up saving Ico.

I'm not going into details but know that there is much more to this simple outline. Anita Sarkeesian says in her videos that Ico was a game that damages the image of women in video gaming when it's the opposite. Ico is a feminist game and is empowering for women. And i think Anita is not the only one who doesn't know what Ico is about yet still yaps about it.

This may seem like an off topic example, but I loved MGS3. I assumed MGS4 was going to be a game I loved. It wasn't. Lesson learned. I can appreciate what it was trying to do, and it succeeded highly in some areas, but overall it did not resonate with me in context of the series as strongly as I figured it would. Kojima still remains a visionary in my mind however, and MGS4 an important game despite what I would consider a series of disappointing and egregious story plot lines in 4. But I didn't care much for Ground Zeroes, and though I will be there for Phantom Pain, I wait to be impressed rather than giving the benefit of the doubt.

I get your point but I can't put Kojima on the same level that Ueda. Kojima is a visionary but Ueda is an artist.

To sum it up, its obvious that there is no guarantee that TLG will be a masterpiece. But if isn't, it will be because of technicalities on which Ueda has no control. I completely trust Ueda because such good art is a lifetime calling and that's pretty much it.

Anyway, thank you for the debate, I hope you'll have the opportunity to resonate more with Ico and see how much more there is to it than what is on the surface.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What I want to know, is will Last Guardian drop before Half Life 3.

Alright fuckers.

Take your bets.

Holy shit this one is hard.

I'm going to go with TLG.

Because.

I...

I don't care about half life ok.

I care about Half Life and I'm certain TLG is coming out before Half Life 3

Peterpan

See, I don't believe that and maybe that's the core disagreement here. I believe gaming can be an art form but I'm also of the strong opinion that the vast majority aren't. Just like movies, some of them are pure entertainment and do not call for any artistic pretentions. Any random dude can have generic ideas and morph them into a movie or a game if given enough money. That's why I hold the actual artistic games in very high esteem. Most people don't even know what Ico is about and aren't able to judge for what it is.
I have never played ICO only Sotc. But please your post is so subjective it makes my head spin. We live in a Post-modern era don't come here with this. Art is subjective and if I decide Transformers is art or my shoelace is art you can't tell me it is not. If someone thinks ICO is rubbish it is for them end of story. Your truth isn't the only truth and gaming can't be art only when you want it to be, it is or it isn't. You just pushing your idea by any means, twisting and bending the medium to suit your idea, that ICO is the be all and end all.

Paxem

Banned
Sony is clearly doing this to keep the hype around this game alive which is a good thing for the PS4 since a lot of people still think it's being developed for the PS4. Get over it TLG is dead and there is no where it's coming back.

I'm just trying to lower my exceptions for the next E3 so when there is no TLG announcement my heart doesn't get crushed again :(

barit

Holy shit. Release a dynamic theme called The Last Guardian and be done with it Sony

This game man. Crushing dreams of gamers around the world since 2010

Seriously it's not even funny anymore

yes i'm mad

Vire

Ueda said he isn't even working on it anymore. Who cares at this point.

Most of the people who worked on Shadows and Ico are no longer even at the company.

spats

Here we are, in the year of our lord 2015 and I'm watching twitch streams of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII XV demo. Never thought that'd happen either.

I believe.

Well, all good things come by threes, I guess. So TLG must really be awesome when it is released somewhen within the next couple of decades...

Top Bottom