• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

IN&OUT

Banned
So Assuming PS3/360 are selling about the same (600k for the quarter).

MS and Sony reports would indicate PS4 selling 2.9m vs 0.5m for Xbone in the last quarter.

I say god daaaaam!

Thats almost 5:1 ratio for PS4 !

Mikey Jr.

MS and Sony reports would indicate PS4 selling 2.9m vs 0.5m for Xbone in the last quarter.

I say god daaaaam!

That can't be right.

I think the Xbone number is higher?

Marco1

You have to hand it to Sony, they've done well.
I'll never forget them standing and bowing after the hacking scandal. That one thing changed my opinion on them forever.

IN&OUT

Banned
That can't be right.

I think the Xbone number is higher?

I remember in MS report thread, people started adding NPD numbers and speculating about EU numbers, and they end up with 500/600k sales for X1.

Remember that X1 is practically dead in EU and didn't do so hot in USA for 3 months.

Bundy

Banned
I'll never forget them standing and bowing after the hacking scandal. That one thing changed my opinion on them forever.
Yeah, it was a bad time for them.
But the "bowing" video was amazing.
I really like the company and the people behind it (not only the PlayStation division).

Honor and shame are huge parts of the japanese culture.
Believe me, I'm an expert!

Chobel

Yeah, I know he has contacts/works for them, but I was wondering if that was a hint at something he knew or was just guessing without info... :)

This comment of his suggests the former.
Verendus said:
That's not true. The first price cut time period has already been planned somewhat. Plus, unless Microsoft plans on cutting their price $200 (which they won't), it doesn't really make a difference to SCE. They're sitting comfortably for the next year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95520703&postcount=853

Yeah, but isn't the Vita as well? I know this is software and only the UK, but software ties into who's selling hardware, and I'm pretty sure the UK is the Wii U's worst, or close to worst, PAL country

gibv2QZ.png

(Disregarding the MK boost, they both seem to be in the pit)

Then obviously Vita is doing a lot better in Japan and Wii U is doing better in NPD.
But judging by the charts for each country in each PAL thread, I can't see one doing a lot better than the other.

Someone did some math earlier...

EDIT:
Found it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123434156&postcount=188

He didn't do PSP sales, but still, if Japan is Vita's best territory how could Europe have covered anywhere close to that amount?

EDIT2:
Basically, the Vita sold 190,000 during that time in Japan and 89,000 in NPD.
There's 471,000 left to account for with only Vita Europe, the 35K of PSP in Japan, and whatever likely negligible PSP sales WW. I'm not sure it could be much higher than 35K.
See what I mean about the .75?

I think you're underestimating the power of Playstation in PAL region, Sony always managed to sell way much better than their competitors there. Take the PS2 for example, in its later years the PS2 used to sell like 10k/month in US + JP, yet some how still sell 4-5m/year WW. Like 98-99% of its sales in those years were from PAL region.

I think there is a good possibility that PSP still sell 100-200k/quarter in emerging markets. PS1/PS2 both sold millions in emerging markets in their later years despite being completely dead in US/Japan.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Console victory for Sony was largely anticipated, but what really surprises me is that PSV sales are trending to taking over 3DS in the next quarter or two, unless I read the data all incorrectly?

DarkMehm

I really don't think so. Vita games never seem to chart and that graph I just posted shows that in the UK, the Wii U and Vita seemed pretty close if you don't take MK into account.

It'd be a lot easier if we had HW numbers, but Japan is far and away Vita's best territory, and in my eariler post I explained how much Europe would have to make up to reach that .75 figure. It's impossible.

If they did overship, by how much I wonder...

The eternal "where the hell does Sony ship their systems, to Mars?"-question.

PSP sold like 25 million in Europe and almost nothing ever charted. Handhelds have traditionally not even half the tie ratio consoles have.

Another reason is that Sony CE is the only real global company out of the three. SCEE alone has 109 regions they distribute, market and sell their products. Just let that sink in for a moment. The other two probably don't even have an official presence in half of that worldwide, use 3rd Party Distributors in a few other countries and aren't present at all in some others. Nintendo for example still uses Bergsala for the Scandinavian countries. This really hurts in the long term as a 3rd Party Distributor can never do as great of a job as the producer of the product can. Just for this reason alone Sony always starts a console generation as the heavy favourite for the throne and must do something really wrong like the first years of the PS3 to be in a vulnerable position. Being in this position helps the Vita too. People always lowball their Vita figures because even the most respected sales agers here think in small dimensions. They add their MC and NPD figures, look at software charts in Europe and estimate a figure that is not even close to the real thing.

Takao

Banned
Console victory for Sony was largely anticipated, but what really surprises me is that PSV sales are trending to taking over 3DS in the next quarter or two, unless I read the data all incorrectly?

That's not happening when you compare the upcomming software lineups. 3DS has Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Smash Bros, etc. while Vita has ... Phantasy Star Nova in Japan?

PSP sold like 25 million in Europe and almost nothing ever charted. Handhelds have traditionally not even half the tie ratio consoles have.

Another reason is that Sony CE is the only real global company out of the three. SCEE alone has 109 regions they distribute, market and sell their products. Just let that sink in for a moment. The other two probably don't even have an official presence in half of that worldwide, use 3rd Party Distributors in a few other countries and aren't present at all in some others. Nintendo for example still uses Bergsala for the Scandinavian countries. This really hurts in the long term as a 3rd Party Distributor can never do as great of a job as the producer of the product can. Just for this reason alone Sony always starts a console generation as the heavy favourite for the throne and must do something really wrong like the first years of the PS3 to be in a vulnerable position. Being in this position helps the Vita too. People always lowball their Vita figures because even the most respected sales agers here think in small dimensions. They add their MC and NPD figures, look at software charts in Europe and estimate a figure that is not even close to the real thing.

PSP sold 40m in PAL region.

I still can't believe that PSV out shipped WiiU by that much despite MK8 and was so close to 3DS.

Is it possible EU is PSV's best sector?

It well could be, but again people are forgetting about South America. Nintendo and Sony don't have the presence there that Sony does and that gives them a boost as well. Vita is probably pulling these numbers in a number of regions we simply don't have tracking for, same as the PS3 and PS2 before it.

3ds is outselling vita all over the world. The only reason it's this close is due to overshipments of the 3ds still being out there.

Steel

Banned

I say god daaaaam!

Wait, wait... If that 0.5m is right then the vita+PSP outsold the xbone WW? What?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, wait... If that 0.5m is right then the vita+PSP outsold the xbone WW? What?

Not outsold, but possibly, over-shipped by a small margin.

Xbone was already stacked in stores everywhere [sales could be higher because of the large old stock] and MS announced last quarter that in this quarter they will ship less [although it is strange they did not ship more, they had to supply enough consoles for Kinectless SKU launch].

Currently, difference between Xbone and Vita is.... that Xbone is viewed as almost undesirable, and Vita is sold out almost everywhere. Both stores and Sony are caught in surprise by the sudden demand. Sadly, Vita does not have big software releases to sustain this spike in demand. It has hundreds and hundreds of smaller games, but not imminent big "hit".

Mory Dunz

I think you're underestimating the power of Playstation in PAL region, Sony always managed to sell way much better than their competitors there. Take the PS2 for example, in its later years the PS2 used to sell like 10k/month in US + JP, yet some how still sell 4-5m/year WW. Like 98-99% of its sales in those years were from PAL region.

I think there is a good possibility that PSP still sell 100-200k/quarter in emerging markets. PS1/PS2 both sold millions in emerging markets in their later years despite being completely dead in US/Japan.

I suppose it's possible, but then the PSP and Vita would both have to be selling almost better in Europe than in Japan today, to reach those numbers. (Since we know the numbers for NPD, it's not coming from there.) I'll remain skeptical unless we could somehow get numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ok, thanks. One more GAF mystery solved for me.
No problem =)

Well, that's Verendus (not the avatar, that's Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder). Who's been known to have some accurate Sony insight from time to time. So in that case it might not be a reflection of the avatar so much as who said it.
Sure, i just ment that the avatar is a guy who looks surprised, and because Verendus said that the PS4 gets a pricedrop next year, the guy who quoted his avatar fits as a surprising reaction :)

todd360

They had an apology video where they bowed? All I got was da free gamez.

That is a joke post right? People are rushing out to buy consoles for a game they could have played last year on the PS3?

It's a nice bonus for people new to the console, but no one is going out to buy one specifically for it.

If anything the gap should close, MS has a strong lineup in the next few months. PS4 has DriveClub.
The Last of Us PS4 bundle is number 14 on Amazon UK right now. I would say yes, they are buying consoles for it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony might sell more PS4's this quarter than Nintendo is expecting to sell Wii U's their entire fiscal year.

They will do it easily. Nintendos FY15 WiiU forecast is 3.6M, easily achievable in Q3 for PS4. Sony also has a habbit of overshiping consoles in Q3, so that they are ready for early sales in Q4. That is the reason why MS manages to often ship more in Q4.

PS4 hardware is barely profitable, or it looses very little money.

When Sony starts earning $50 on each console, then it will get its gif. :)
There is more to the profitability of a console than just the hardware. PS4 sells software too and they clearly have most marketshare on next gen software.

nib95

Banned
Well, Xbox has technically already had a price cut but PS4 will get one next year.

2015 price cut is what I expected. But not till late in the year is my guess. Reckon there'll be great bundle deals even this year and early next year though.

Road

Good performance from Games, especially considering the negative impact that Network Services has been up until now. With the PSNow open beta starting, more revenue should come in and it should help offset the cost. It probably means Gaming will never lose money again unless PSNow is a huge failure and Sony has to write off the whole thing in one quarter.

But the real big news about these results are Mobile. As expected, the disastrous (non)launch of the Xperia Z2 didn't do any favors and they're saying the other phones failed as well. To make matters worse, Z3 (if the leaks are to be believed) will be one of the most uneventful upgrades ever. They can pretty much consider this a lost year for smartphones. Time to rethink the whole thing. They have run out of ideas for the Z line and, while the same can be said for iPhone and Galaxy X, Xperia does not have nowhere near the same brand power to keep selling based on name alone.

The complimentary console point was true of the GameCube; especially since it was a cheap price ($99). Still ended up in third. And that was with much better third party support than what the Wii U is getting. I can't see the Wii U going to $200 or less anytime soon due to the gamepad alone. That's the problem; it's a secondary console that's priced as a primary console.

For the US market at least (traditionally Nintendo's strongest or very close to it) the Gamecube had considerably worse support than the Xbox even if you're just talking about exclusives. It was still a small gap worldwide (2-3M) despite that and the Gamecube being priced similarly.

I'm not saying I think Wii U is going to wind up in second place, but I wouldn't say that the Xbox/Gamecube competition is instructive here either.

EGOMON

I am interested in how long PS4 can outpace the Wii sales trend? I mean surely they are going to cross path at some point

Speaking of Vita numbers, could emerging markets like south america, asia and china be buying Vita/PSPs?

That would make more sense as SCEJA has been bringing Vita games over in chinese and portables tend to do better in asia where there's more commuting.

For the US market at least (traditionally Nintendo's strongest or very close to it) the Gamecube had considerably worse support than the Xbox even if you're just talking about exclusives. It was still a small gap worldwide (2-3M) despite that and the Gamecube being priced similarly.

I'm not saying I think Wii U is going to wind up in second place, but I wouldn't say that the Xbox/Gamecube competition is instructive here either.

You're right, it will be even worse because this time Xbox One will "win" this battle for 2nd in the US easily.

Mrbob

I am interested in how long PS4 can outpace the Wii sales trend? I mean surely they are going to cross path at some point

It depends on where you define outpace. The Wii and PS4 will probably cross over, but then the Wii had such a sharp decline sales basically fell off a cliff and ended. So while the Wii will pull ahead, long tail PS4 and Wii will cross paths again with the PS4 outselling it.

Averon

Good performance from Games, especially considering the negative impact that Network Services has been up until now. With the PSNow open beta starting, more revenue should come in and it should help offset the cost. It probably means Gaming will never lose money again unless PSNow is a huge failure and Sony has to write off the whole thing in one quarter.

But the real big news about these results are Mobile. As expected, the disastrous (non)launch of the Xperia Z2 didn't do any favors and they're saying the other phones failed as well. To make matters worse, Z3 (if the leaks are to be believed) will be one of the most uneventful upgrades ever. They can pretty much consider this a lost year for smartphones. Time to rethink the whole thing. They have run out of ideas for the Z line and, while the same can be said for iPhone and Galaxy X, Xperia does not have nowhere near the same brand power to keep selling based on name alone.

I would not be surprised Sony essential kept the Z3 spec's static to avoid the Z2's disastrous delay's due to component shortages. But, yeah with even the S5 looking like it is slowing down, I think it going to be tough for Sony to see any growth in mobile. The fact that they can't or won't push into NA (besides T-Mobile that won't get the phone until 3-6 months after release) was a bone headed strategy.

Very very good for the first year.
2015 will be a MONSTER year.
Starts with The Order: 1886 and BLOODBORNE

Yeah and if you mix in the potential Price Drop maybe holiday 2015 phew. Got the makings of a killer year. Bloodborne is going to bring in a lot of hardcores I think that may of been holding off. Uncharted 4 is just going to be a blockbuster no doubt. First game post The Last of Us? Forget about it. God knows what else is awaiting us in 2015 but it is going to be an exciting year. Hope No Mans Sky hits that year also along with Rime and The Witness

The king is back, well done Sony. The rest of the year could be a challenge, but next year should be incredible.

Why? The rest of this year looks fantastic for Sony. Got TLOU and Oddworld this month. Next month is Diablo and Minecraft and Hohokum and Plants vs Zombies which was popular on X1. Then September is massive with the Destiny bundle and white Ps4 release. October sees Dragons Age and Evolve and DriveClub which will be huge as it will be the first major exclusive racer released. Then ou have the GTAV bomb exploding again. November had LBP3. And this is ignoring the big indies like The Witness and Hotline Miami and Starbound and everything.

Big rest of the year. Tons of games flowing like fine wine from August onward

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Surprising quarter for Sony overall. Obviously it's a nice result, not only for game but for the company as a whole. Time to start delevering. They should be an investment grade company. It's embarrassing that they are not.

Apt101

Holy crap, if trends continue through the holidays this is going to be great for Sony. If I were Microsoft I'd drop a bomb-ass bundle in early November and net some Christmas shopping sales.

Top Bottom