• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

Mooreberg

Holy crap, if trends continue through the holidays this is going to be great for Sony. If I were Microsoft I'd drop a bomb-ass bundle in early November and net some Christmas shopping sales.
It would be very surprising if there is not a Halo bundle in November. It must burn somewhat that Bungie is going to help move so many PS4 units two months prior to that.

Piggus

Yeah. At least it made the choice of what console to pick up first easy.

It'll be difficult to tell for quite a while. MCC has to claw some of the gap back, but I'd argue that bloodborne will extend the gap once again.

The gap will only get smaller if the Bone starts to outsell the Quad worldwide. And that ain't happening. I think people are overestimating the impact that MCC will have. It's not even a new Halo game...

inner-G

Banned
The real story is Vita/Vita TV rising like a Phoenix and almost selling what the hot new system sold (.75 to 1.1)

4.8 + 3.0 + 2.8 = 10.6

That sound about right for PS4? That assumes PS3 shipments were…

3.0 + 0.7 + 0.7 = 4.4

Is that too many PS3s?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
The gap will only get smaller if the Bone starts to outsell the Quad worldwide. And that ain't happening. I think people are overestimating the impact that MCC will have. It's not even a new Halo game...

Yeah, I worded that wrong. I was talking about the monthly sales gap. I think it has potential to decrease that gap for a few months before bloodborne (and the order, which I had forgotten about) extend it again.

Shengar

After nearly two decades and people still underestimate Sonys ability to sell in undeveloped countries. Yes, the PS3 is down in the US and Japan and maybe even the relevant parts of Europe. In all other parts (Eastern Europe, Middle East, Southern Asia, South America etc) it's still relevant and in most of these countries it should be the absolute market leader. Many small chunks can be totaled to a big chunk. (sry English isn't my first language). That's how the PS1 got to 102 million, the PS2 to 158 million and the PSP to 80+ million. So I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 shipments this quarter were at 1.0-1.4 million.
This is true. The Playstation brand is very strong in these regions. Despite the PS3 took so long to cracked while Xbox360 were hacked far earlier, PS3 still the more popular console because the Playstation name alone. It would be interesting if we have solid numbers for these regions, but even with Sony's official presence there, it still impossible thing to achieve and the guessing game will continue.
Speaking of Vita numbers, could emerging markets like south america, asia and china be buying Vita/PSPs?

That would make more sense as SCEJA has been bringing Vita games over in chinese and portables tend to do better in asia where there's more commuting.
Yes, the emerging market still buying PSVita and PSP. Though in my country PSP seems to not having new shipment for a long time. Many popular stores not having them in-stock anymore and the only way you could find one is to search in suburban-area stores. That being said, 3DS still more the popular handheld because now it could played pirated games and wider, better selection of its library.

Also about commuting, I don't think it's the same case like developed country where crime rate isn't that high. You couldn't simply play handhelds because: 1) The risk of being robbed 2) The public transportation isn't comfortable to let you play while commuting 3) Motorcycle is a popular choice over public transportation for commuting in some country.

onQ123

So Assuming PS3/360 are selling about the same (600k for the quarter).

MS and Sony reports would indicate PS4 selling 2.9m vs 0.5m for Xbone in the last quarter.

I say god daaaaam!

Thats almost 5:1 ratio for PS4 !

I think Nintendo & Microsoft might want to start looking at a early exit plan to this Generation like with the GameCube & Xbox OG.

Well there is still hope that the Xbox One could get on a good track when Halo is released or the price come down to $299 but looking at the way things are going we could be looking at the PS4 at 30 million at the end of next year with Xbox One & Wii U somewhere below 15.

I think Nintendo & Microsoft might want to start looking at a early exit plan to this Generation like with the GameCube & Xbox OG.

Well there is still hope that the Xbox One could get on a good track when Halo is released or the price come down to $299 but looking at the way things are going we could be looking at the PS4 at 30 million at the end of next year with Xbox One & Wii U somewhere below 15.

Nintendo I think will stick it out. They can still salvage something with first party titles and try to scrap by. They haven't burned through all that Wii money yet - so they've got time.

If MS tries to exit early, expect no new console from MS. Unless they can salvage something from this debacle - their investors and board will want to kill the Xbox division or move it to PC to cut down on costs. The dream of owning the living room is dead, and they know it.

That being said, both of them will just tough it out. Being second place isn't so bad for the Xbox One - it will have its exclusives and may actually hit its stride at $300 price point.

Mikey Jr.

I wonder if last of us remaster will be telling if Mcc can move systems.

If tlou doesn't move the needle much, then not sure how well mcc will do for Xbone.

orochi91

If MS tries to exit early, expect no new console from MS. Unless they can salvage something from this debacle - their investors and board will want to kill the Xbox division or move it to PC to cut down on costs. The dream of owning the living room is dead, and they know it.

It took MS 12 years to peak, but they squandered all that gain in market share and
it only took 9 months to do so. I can't see how MS can put out a new console after
this gen. XB1 would be lucky to get even half of what the X360 sold.

All I gotta say is,

The King is Back.

And it feels great.

Like all good things though, it will come to end. I'm tying to think of all the
possible ways Sony can royally fuck up what they've accomplished with the PS4.

I wonder if last of us remaster will be telling if Mcc can move systems.

If tlou doesn't move the needle much, then not sure how well mcc will do for Xbone.

Completely different games. TLoU came out last year originally. It also isn't as big as Halo. Halo is also 4 full games. Different scale completely.

Iacobellis

It took MS 12 years to peak, but they squandered all that gain in market share and
it only took 9 months to do so. I can't see how MS can put out a new console after
this gen. XB1 would be lucky to get even half of what the X360 sold.

And it feels great.

I doubt it will happen again. Console gaming is quickly moving away from Japan, and the biggest problems that the PS3 faced were being tailored too much to Japanese gamers. The console was designed around being an extravagant media player and single player game console. PSN was literally an afterthought until a few years later as we got the better store, in-game XMB, Trophies, and so on. The 360 had all of those since day one because Microsoft was forward thinking. The problem is, they were forward thinking this generation in the sense of media consumption, which is what consoles are not purchased for.

If Sony continues the trend they had with the PS1/PS2/PS4 where they put out a killer gaming machine first and media player second that gets the job done, then they succeed. They went back to their roots of offering a console that is in the middle of their competitors in price and was not overly complicated to develop for. They also put their foot out first in revealing and releasing the console, which is what leveraged the success the PS2 and 360 had.

onQ123

Nintendo I think will stick it out. They can still salvage something with first party titles and try to scrap by. They haven't burned through all that Wii money yet - so they've got time.

That being said, both of them will just tough it out. Being second place isn't so bad for the Xbox One - it will have its exclusives and may actually hit its stride at $300 price point.

This is the part that has me thinking that MS might be having second thoughts about the Xbox One. The Xbox One that was announced is exactly what MS end plan was for Xbox, Always on always connected living room trojan horse & Kinect & Xbox TV was a big part of that but now that they had to backtrack on all these things I don't think they will be so ambitious about the Xbox going forward.

The crazy part is Sony & MS have the same plan MS just managed to piss everyone off with their approach while Sony pulled their trojan horse in nice & smooth smiling & waving at us.

But in the end Google , Facebook & Apple are looking at both of them laughing asking what are these two fools fighting for?

gatti-man

This is the part that has me thinking that MS might be having second thoughts about the Xbox One. The Xbox One that was announced is exactly what MS end plan was for Xbox, Always on always connected living room trojan horse & Kinect & Xbox TV was a big part of that but now that they had to backtrack on all these things I don't think they will be so ambitious about the Xbox going forward.

The crazy part is Sony & MS have the same plan MS just managed to piss everyone off with their approach while Sony pulled their trojan horse in nice & smooth smiling & waving at us.

But in the end Google , Facebook & Apple are looking at both of them laughing asking what are these two fools fighting for?
I think your wrong about goog/apple etc. The only reason they haven't entered the space is the knowledge that it comes with a huge cash bleed to compete with Nintendo and sony. If the market opens up you will see someone else enter. It's a valuable and important space.

PSNow is going to piss some people off and squander some good will, but otherwise, I can't see much changing really. If they can at least continue to put a happy face on their moves (unlike MS for some reason), they'll be fine.

onQ123

I think your wrong about goog/apple etc. The only reason they haven't entered the space is the knowledge that it comes with a huge cash bleed to compete with Nintendo and sony. If the market opens up you will see someone else enter. It's a valuable and important space.

I'm talking about the living room/TV connection.

Google ,Facebook & Apple has people locked into their services no matter where you are. (MS too but they lost a lot of time focusing on the Living room while Apple & Google was taking over the world.

Wait, wait... If that 0.5m is right then the vita+PSP outsold the xbone WW? What?
I really doubt that is right. Given just how low 360 sales have been this year in its largest market. It's been averaging around 50,000 units a month this past quarter in their largest market. I wouldn't doubt the shipment number is heavily slanted to One.

Not that it's a particularly inspiring showing either way.

So Assuming PS3/360 are selling about the same (600k for the quarter).

MS and Sony reports would indicate PS4 selling 2.9m vs 0.5m for Xbone in the last quarter.

I say god daaaaam!

Thats almost 5:1 ratio for PS4 !

Shipments, not sales. There's no reason to believe the PS3 and 360 shipments were the same.

Completely different games. TLoU came out last year originally. It also isn't as big as Halo. Halo is also 4 full games. Different scale completely.

Not sure about that. Just from the sales of the last games, they're close. 7M to ~8M, with the multiplayer part sinking quite quickly.

Does TLOU have the merchandise impact of Halo? Nah.

It'll be interesting either way. I expect both to sell well, but more of an also game than a system seller, like say Destiny.

down 2 orth

I dont think the stronger vita numbers can be attributed solely to Europe. Taiwan, Hong Kong, and especially mainland China (grey market) make up a large portion of the sales not attributed to Japan and the U.S.

Faustek

For the Vita Numbers I should add that I may have said Europe but I should have added "SCEE areas" as well as the emerging markets, South America and Asia(excluding Japan) and Canada. Or is Canada in the NPD? But even so I wouldn't say it is impossible for Vita to sell on pair with Japan in EU. Heck we're even getting retail exclusives centred to just one country. Go Go Not Indiana Jones!
/S

Playstation is still very much a brand here that is synonymous with Games.
Sony is still a brand worth having, if you can afford it.
4k TVs for €1500 is dirt cheap though.
Even the oldest, bitterest grandpa knows to buy that Sony PlayStation thingie for the kids.

And due to some fucked up Voodoo even kids are dismissing Nintendo because it's a "baby machine" -.- Well at least France knows better.

For the Vita Numbers I should add that I may have said Europe but I should have added "SCEE areas" as well as the emerging markets, South America and Asia(excluding Japan) and Canada. Or is Canada in the NPD?

Canada is part of North America and is tracked by NPD similar to the US and many other territories. Whereas Europe is mostly tracked by GFK I believe

There are separate NPD reports to those we make monthly threads on for Canada. Those threads are just for the US. It's a pity we don't have any Canadian NPD leakers though :\

Really people? Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally? PSV overshipped? Now really cmon. Thats high impossible in USA. And we havent heard anything like that for Japan or RotW. We heard about XOne's overshipments in europe, but we havent heard anything about PSV, so maybe perhaps there are no overshipments?

Also courtesy of NPD & MediaCreate threads:

PSV LTD Japan + USA: 3.1m + 1.9m = 5.0m

Wii U LTD Japan + USA: 1.85m + 2.5m = 4.35m

Wellp thats one thing

For RotW we know that historically Nintendo has always done not as well as Playstation. Also remember that negative shipments it got that one time there?

And Sony lying about these numbers? Wouldnt that be one of the most stupidest things to do? If they would get caught their reputation would be ruined big time, so I dont believe thats the case.

Also Vita TV in Japan has sold like Super shit. 50k YTD lol. No way they would ship a lot of those.

Point is Vita sales are very believable. Just becuse Vita doesnt have Mario Kart 8 it doesnt mean that it doesnt sell.

No one has any shipping estimates? How has PS3 been selling? I know it was down quite a bit in the US last quarter. How's it been selling since the PS4 launch? I thought all of the Gen7 consoles dropped fairly quickly, didn't they?

Faustek

As much as they see fit.

I think people are a bit deluded. All Xbox needs to do is make some profit but most of all make sure that third parties can earn money on their platform. As long as it doesn't go down the route of Nintendo and it's base not purchasing those third party games there isn't really anything to discuss.

Xbox doesn't need to piss away tons of cash. They just need to make money for all who are involved.

As much as they see fit.

I think people are a bit deluded. All Xbox needs to do is make some profit but most of all make sure that third parties can earn money on their platform. As long as it doesn't go down the route of Nintendo and it's base not purchasing those third party games there isn't really anything to discuss.

Xbox doesn't need to piss away tons of cash. They just need to make money for all who are involved.

Not really delusional though. The og Xbox was there and could make money, but the exclusive Content strategy is harder to justify when you aren't the market leader.

It's base purchasing less of those games over time diminishes the overall importance of the platform. Won't matter to large dev teams,
But for other projects and smaller teams? They could be forced to think about it.

Justify the investment is the angle some are looking at. The platform will be around in some form regardless.

Marco1

It all depends on what MS sees as it's future. If Xbox is a part of that then they will see it through.
I'm sure they know why xbone is not seeing stellar sales and they've discussed that packing in kinect instead of a more powerful console was a mistake.
If xbone is a part of their grander plan then or imagine we will see huge improvements on its OS front.
But considering their dismal phone, surface and xbone sales I can only imagine what they'll do next.
I live in the UK and I've never seen any of their devices in the wild so maybe they're patiently waiting for the apple bubble to burst.

As much as they see fit.

Microsoft doesn't actually want to create video games and be embedded in this loss-leading nightmare market. The XBox One's original unveiling was the culmination of XBox division's original goal of becoming the central hub for consumer content in the battle for the living room. They've now gutted/de-emphasized all of the features that could make this vision come true, and the 2000-era "battle of the living room" is being fought in the tablet market instead of set top boxes.

MS will not be happy squeezing out a profit in third place after 15 years. That is not why they entered this market.

From earnings call Q&A transcript:
Q: In Game, can you tell us the rough split or the precise split between PS3 and PS4 shipments so that we can understand how the new platform is performing?
A: We can't provide the breakdown of our PS3 and PS4, sorry.
:/

Such bs, to an entirely valid question for analysts and investors to want to know.

Kinan

From earnings call Q&A transcript:

:/

Such bs, to an entirely valid question for analysts and investors to want to know.

Seriously, now we need to rely on a Sony good will to see more points on this graph:

sales9siq3.jpg

I hope they will announce something at Gamescom (probably ~9M ).

BigDug13

As much as they see fit.

The problem is also the amount spent this time to get this console started. 400 million paid to NFL, more than that spent on Kinect 2 R&D, loss of potential advertising dollars due to Kinect not being in the equation anymore, ESRAM and DDR3 not really lowering in price at the same speed as GDDR5. They're basically starting as bad off as OG Xbox financially. At least Live Gold revenue will be much higher than OG Xbox days so it remains to be seen how profitable they can be.

Top Bottom