• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

jcm

i meant the majority of investors. it's more than enough to know it got out of a loss.

The vast majority of investors don't hold shares directly anyway. It doesn't matter what they think.

From earnings call Q&A transcript:

:/

Such bs, to an entirely valid question for analysts and investors to want to know.

It seems like companies are becoming more and more opaque, with no consequences. I blame Amazon. They're demonstrated that you can get away with a lot of obfuscated bullshit in your earnings report.

I wished somebody had asked the question as to where in the world they shipped all those Vitas and Psps.

This was posted here on gaf the beginning of last month.
Just talked to a rep with our games distributor. Reportedly, Sony is not making them available to US retailers at the moment. Not the Borderlands 2 bundle, nothing. So it's not that retailers won't stock it. It's that they can't.

Word on the street is that Sony's trying to satisfy strong international demand first. I'm not sure if that's Sony's official excuse or not, as I had a hard time hearing him clearly.
To which at the time I was rather incredulous about.
All I can say is if that's true, where in the world is soaking up all the Vita production. The 2k hasn't launched in mainland Europe yet and we know Japan only sells about 60k a month. Sony must of massively cut back production if they're selling all they can produce.

But after this report it rather gives credence to that rumour.

Q: In Game, can you tell us the rough split or the precise split between PS3 and PS4 shipments so that we can understand how the new platform is performing?

A: We can't provide the breakdown of our PS3 and PS4, sorry.

Such bs, to an entirely valid question for analysts and investors to want to know.

What the hell. This just makes me angry.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We can ball-park the number from previous PS3 shipments, right?

Sure it isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. Around 2,9 million PS4's? Or 3 million?

BigDug13

I don't understand why they refuse to answer that, especially when we already know the answer paints a pretty damn good picture for the PS4.

Faustek

But for other projects and smaller teams? They could be forced to think about it.
Ahh the natural selection of exclusives. Kinda like what has happened to Tales Of. I'm just looking at this from a pure multiplat view though and the Xbox divisions own IP.

Microsoft doesn't actually want to create video games and be embedded in this loss-leading nightmare market. The XBox One's original unveiling was the culmination of XBox division's original goal of becoming the central hub for consumer content in the battle for the living room. They've now gutted/de-emphasized all of the features that could make this vision come true, and the 2000-era "battle of the living room" is being fought in the tablet market instead of set top boxes.

MS will not be happy squeezing out a profit in third place after 15 years. That is not why they entered this market.

Ooh I fully agree with Tony Ponce on XBO and MS.

The problem is also the amount spent this time to get this console started. 400 million paid to NFL, more than that spent on Kinect 2 R&D, loss of potential advertising dollars due to Kinect not being in the equation anymore, ESRAM and DDR3 not really lowering in price at the same speed as GDDR5. They're basically starting as bad off as OG Xbox financially. At least Live Gold revenue will be much higher than OG Xbox days so it remains to be seen how profitable they can be.

DDR3 can't really go that much lower. It's already as low can be. I imagine that perhaps in 18-36 months it'll be at is lowest as everyone is trying to get rid of the last bit they have to make room for DDR4. But yes, they need to recoup that loss and you can't make up for it by just quitting.

I'm not saying that the quoted above are saying that MS will bow out tomorrow but from a few, quite a few it seems as they actually believe that.

I don't understand why they refuse to answer that, especially when we already know the answer paints a pretty damn good picture for the PS4.

The kid inside me is giggling and wanting to believe that they are saving it for Gamescom

And with that said I would like to share with you, our fans that the PS4 has reached <insert number> sales worldwide. <applause> Hrm, <insert fancy words>.

Concept17

The problem is also the amount spent this time to get this console started. 400 million paid to NFL, more than that spent on Kinect 2 R&D, loss of potential advertising dollars due to Kinect not being in the equation anymore, ESRAM and DDR3 not really lowering in price at the same speed as GDDR5. They're basically starting as bad off as OG Xbox financially. At least Live Gold revenue will be much higher than OG Xbox days so it remains to be seen how profitable they can be.

I wonder what the total is for billions invested into the platform since OG Xbox.

It made sense when they were trying to hide the vita numbers but even the combined psp+vita is bad so I dont know why they continue to combine them.

Also I dont think MS will be happy to squeak by with profits considering how long they have been investing in the Xbox brand.

vcc

Completely different games. TLoU came out last year originally. It also isn't as big as Halo. Halo is also 4 full games. Different scale completely.

You're very right TLoU is not an individual system seller, it's more of a tipping point game that push people already interested in getting a ps4 to get one now. But the Halo collection also isn't a pure system seller like halo 5 would be. It is fan service to halo fans who problably already bought in. It also is a tipping point game which will push the people who want the systen but needed an excuse to get it to jump in.

Neither creates new interest, just capitalizes on existing interest. At the moment interest in the xb1 is low while interest in the ps4 is higher. The tipoing point games will have a bigger effect on the one with more latent interest.

It's just how they do things. Every time a platform is doing poorly, they hide the numbers until they no longer can or the situation is reversed.
I knew we would never see proper hardware figures for a while since the Vita started bombing.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
I don't think this is terminal for MS or anything close. The PS3 was way behind the 360 for most of its life, but pulled level (overtook?) right at the end of the generation. If MS can bring the games then people will buy.

Not sure if I agree. PS3 had the benefit of having a lot of untapped horsepower that served them well with some exclusives later on in the life cycle that just could not be duplicated on the 360.

There's no hidden advantage for the Xbone over the PS4. Both architectures are very similar. I know a lot of Xbone proponents argue that the 32mb of sdram are an advantage over the PS4, but it will require extremely deft use of that cache by developers in order for the Xbone to achieve parity with the PS4 in terms of memory bandwidth.

Regardless, it's hard to tell if this is terminal or not. It's very disconcerting for the Xbone to be this far behind at this point in the generation when there are so few exclusives to differentiate the two consoles.

But I think you're 100% correct in your last statement. Ultimately if MS can crank out some great 1st party exclusives, people are going to buy an Xbone. Period. I'm doubtful that they can create enough exclusive content to close the gap, Microsoft has far fewer 1st party resources than Sony does. But Microsoft can still prevent this console generation from being a disaster for them by committing themselves to as many great 1st party games as possible. That strategy always sells consoles.

If it was me I would have pushed Yoshida for an answer at least to show how opaque Sony are being with sales figures.

I dont even see why it is legal to hide sales figures pike that. Of course amazon does it all the time is well and there is no way to ever know how their devices are doing. In my opinion a public company should have to reveal all their sales numbers.

I dont even see why it is legal to hide sales figures pike that. Of course amazon does it all the time is well and there is no way to ever know how their devices are doing. In my opinion a public company should have to reveal all their sales numbers.

It's not required to disclose that level of precision in Japanese GAAP....unfortunately.

Transparency benefits the shareholders, but clearly Sony no longer prioritises it.

That's one of the great things about Mr. Iwata...he makes sure that Nintendo stays transparent. He's done a much better job than Mr. Yamauchi in that regard.

Dredd97

Not sure if I agree. PS3 had the benefit of having a lot of untapped horsepower that served them well with some exclusives later on in the life cycle that just could not be duplicated on the 360.

There's no hidden advantage for the Xbone over the PS4. Both architectures are very similar. I know a lot of Xbone proponents argue that the 32mb of sdram are an advantage over the PS4, but it will require extremely deft use of that cache by developers in order for the Xbone to achieve parity with the PS4 in terms of memory bandwidth.

Regardless, it's hard to tell if this is terminal or not. It's very disconcerting for the Xbone to be this far behind at this point in the generation when there are so few exclusives to differentiate the two consoles.

But I think you're 100% correct in your last statement. Ultimately if MS can crank out some great 1st party exclusives, people are going to buy an Xbone. Period. I'm doubtful that they can create enough exclusive content to close the gap, Microsoft has far fewer 1st party resources than Sony does. But Microsoft can still prevent this console generation from being a disaster for them by committing themselves to as many great 1st party games as possible. That strategy always sells consoles.

The Esram is a memory band-aid, nothing more, it's not a special piece of exotic hardware built into the GPU die to make better graphics and whatnot, it's a patch to allow the memory of the DDR3 to work more efficiently...

test_account

XP-39C²
It made sense when they were trying to hide the vita numbers but even the combined psp+vita is bad so I dont know why they continue to combine them.

Also I dont think MS will be happy to squeak by with profits considering how long they have been investing in the Xbox brand.
They combine the PS3 and PS4 number too. Probably for easier viewing (console and handheld sales). They probably combine all cellphone models too i would guess.

Isn't gold revenue going to be much less now that they have a much smaller install base which means lesd subscribers and less people buying digital?

Bah being directly asked during the Q and A about the split between PS4 and PS3 sales and not answering it is super frustrating.

Bundy

Banned
The Esram is a memory band-aid, nothing more, it's not a special piece of exotic hardware built into the GPU die to make better graphics and whatnot, it's a patch to allow the memory of the DDR3 to work more efficiently...
Exactly! No matter how much work you put into it, overall the PS4's 8GB GDDR5 RAM will always be clearly superior compared to the Xbone's 8GB DDR3+32MB ESRAM.

We can ball-park the number from previous PS3 shipments, right?

Sure it isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. Around 2,9 million PS4's? Or 3 million?
A year ago, PS3 shipped 1.1M for the quarter. Per US NPD, sales were down like 60% YOY, but I'm not sure how it's been selling in not-US.

Jan-Mar is tougher, because a year ago it included the last of the PS2 shipments, and was inexplicably about 1M units higher than previous FQ4s.

For Christmas, it's hard to imagine they shipped much more than 3M PS3s, or there wouldn't be enough inventory in the channel to move 4.2M PS4s to consumers that quarter.

Sony's Smartphone Struggle

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sony-posts-surprise-profit-1406788070?mod=e2tw

To some extent, Sony is suffering from a problem similar to that confronting Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -3.80% , which on Thursday reported a steep drop in operating profit because of slowing smartphone sales. Though Samsung sold about eight times as many smartphones as Sony during the April-June quarter, both companies are facing pressure from Apple Inc. AAPL +0.55% 's iPhones at the high end of the market and from upstart Chinese brands at the low end.

Three Chinese smartphone makers that rank between No. 3 and No. 5 globally in terms of market share—Huawei Technologies Co., Lenovo Group Ltd. LNVGY +1.15% and Xiaomi Inc.—all made sizable gains in the latest quarter, according to data from Counterpoint, a technology research firm. While Huawei's smartphone shipments nearly doubled, to 20.6 million, Sony's fell to 9.4 million from 9.6 million, giving it a market share of about 3.1%. Among the leading brands, it was the only one to post a decline.

Smartphone sales in Latin America were particularly weak, Sony said.

Chinese smartphone manufactures are taking over. Huawei sales are up 95% yoy. Last week Huawei said their Latin America smartphone sales were up 550% yoy.

Many think Huawei will overtake Apple as the #2 smartphone manufacture.

iori9999

Banned
Don-Mattrick-Zynga.jpg

Lol did he fuck up the Xbox mojo or what..

Faustek

Sony's(Then called Sony Ericcson) first misstep with the smartphone business was to say no thanks to Google when they where asked to make the first Nexus.

From what I gather they are making a decent job in Europe when it comes to their phones but they are a mess in N.A and way to expensive compared to similar "budget" phones in China.

Mrbob

Where can you buy a Sony smart phone in the USA? Are they still linked with T Mobile? I see Samsung phones everywhere but i can't remember when I've seen a Sony phone.

T Mobile exclusivity such a bad decision.

Where can you buy a Sony smart phone in the USA? Are they still linked with T Mobile? I see Samsung phones everywhere but i can't remember when I've seen a Sony phone.

T Mobile exclusivity such a bad decision.
AT&T used to sell them. Do they not anymore?

Mokubba

Wouldn't they have sold more if the Z2 wasn't delayed and isn't there room to grow once/if they get into the US market?

kaiyo

Wouldn't they have sold more if the Z2 wasn't delayed and isn't there room to grow once/if they get into the US market?

Yes, they need to expand in the NA market. They should start by selling their flagship phone a couple of weeks (max) worldwide after it gets announced instead of this staggered launch of 2-6 months after it's announced. And also get it to as many carriers as possible instead of doing exclusives (i.e. Xperia Z2 with Bell in Canada). And of course continue to sell it unlocked at Sony Stores.

Nikodemos

They also need to simplify their lineup. My view (z0mg, Aqua or Mario could contradict me here, since they're actual market analysts, but this is what I figure) is that their mobile line-up should be: phone-wise: one mid-range phone (but no 540p screen like the current M2, please; go 720p like the current C3, minus gimmick), one compact version of the previous flagship, one phablet version of the previous flagship, one current flagship. Tablet-wise: one flagship model. No point in trying to bring out a mid-range tablet since it'll just get pummelled on price-performance by Chinese stuff.

4.8 + 3.0 + 2.8 = 10.6

That sound about right for PS4?
I'm guessing people think this is too high, but Pacther said Sony were building 1.4M/mo starting the beginning of Sep, which would give them 4.8M to ship by the end of the year. I see no reason to think they wouldn't have been able to sell-in the entire production run. 4.2M sold-through would leave 600K still in the channel, but that's not many at all when you consider inventory spends about three weeks in the channel before most customers even see it; units shipped at the tail end of Dec won't physically hit the shelves until late Jan. At a million units a month, three weeks of inventory would be about 700K, but reportedly Sony were airlifting units, which would shorten the supply chain considerably for those particular units, bringing the total in channel down a bit.

FQ4 is what I'm least sure about actually, since it's harder to do a direct YOY comparison, though they sold-through roughly 3M over that period, so 3M sold-in seems reasonable. FQ1 seems fairly conservative, given their YOY drop in US NPD. They may not have sold through 3M Apr-Jun, but I think they were likely still filling the channels going in to the quarter, rather than stuffing them per se.

I would think that by now they finally have channel inventory at/near the levels they want them. They seemed to focus on catching up with demand in the bigger countries during FQ4, and guessing they did they same with ROTW during FQ1. I'd be surprised if there were still any significant stock shortages at this point.

Codeblew

Top Bottom