• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

iba4xUBVWORrG9.gif

VanWinkle

The Order is very likely going to be a holiday 2014 title or even a Spring 2015 title.

Sony has 20 first party titles out right now. We know of five. Three of the five are launch games, one is launch window, and the mere fact that we know of this game already means that it will be out within the first year.

Gskyace

I‘d like to know more info about PS4.
Especially the release date and line-up games.

While I want to know more about PS Vita...
No more 4-player coop game like Monster Hunter please.
I wonder where is Patapon and Locoroco?
My girlfriend and I love those games.

chadboban

Every PS4 game announcement is a PSV announcement.

Will Sony release an attachment that will give vita it's missing DS4 buttons? I'm hoping for a better workaround than the default Vita layout because I don't feel like the back touch panel will work very well as a replacement for triggers.

TheHater

I would like a blow-out on the PlayStation 4 OS and function. Just release a video telling us everything we need to know.

Epcott

PS4 focus is good, I guess.

Was looking forward to a full frontal assault of Vita games so I can use it for more than a glorified PS4 remote device. I suppose we'll never know if PSO2, FF Type-0, and VC3 are to be localized.

Other than I know FROM has something, but I have no idea if it will be at TGS or if it is further off.
I knew IT! The rumor about Demon's Soul successor was right all along :D. It was no wonder that the original director wasn't working on Dark Souls 2.

As for the actual vita, I'm curious. In all of my digging I've never even gotten a sniff of whatever game Shahid is talking about. There are a few current gen games that are supposedly being ported that I expected at E3 but weren't there... is that because they were canned or is it because they aren't ready? I dunno. But going into next year I have absolutely zero idea what their big game plans are. We had heard rumblings about Killzone since the launch and Tearaway has been known about for a year... but I don't think Sony has mentioned a single game coming after Tearaway which is the end of November. I know gamescom is mostly about setting up the fall/holiday... but goddamn they need to show that there is stuff coming next year for the vita.
You are talking about VITA getting a redesign in 2014. So they might be already working on R & D for the redesign. I doubt Sony is just gonna pull the plug for VITA. Maybe their policy regarding VITA will become clear once the PS4 launches and the dust settles. Right now, i think they are gonna focus on the remote play aspect for PS4 for a while.

As for the actual vita, I'm curious. In all of my digging I've never even gotten a sniff of whatever game Shahid is talking about. There are a few current gen games that are supposedly being ported that I expected at E3 but weren't there... is that because they were canned or is it because they aren't ready? I dunno. But going into next year I have absolutely zero idea what their big game plans are. We had heard rumblings about Killzone since the launch and Tearaway has been known about for a year... but I don't think Sony has mentioned a single game coming after Tearaway which is the end of November. I know gamescom is mostly about setting up the fall/holiday... but goddamn they need to show that there is stuff coming next year for the vita.

Hmm, for some reason, I thought you knew plenty about Vita's 2014 lineup.

Respawn

Banned
I knew IT! The rumor about Demon's Soul successor was right all along :D. It was no wonder that the original director wasn't working on Dark Souls 2.

You are talking about VITA getting a redesign in 2014. So they might be already working on R & D for the redesign. I doubt Sony is just gonna pull the plug for VITA. Maybe their policy regarding VITA will become clear once the PS4 launches and the dust settles. Right now, i think they are gonna focus on the remote play aspect for PS4 for a while.

If there's a new Demons Souls I just don't know how I will react.

vivftp

Nah, I can't see them pulling the plug on Vita. I CAN, however, see them crossing it more with their mobile division. At least that's my dream :)

BigDug13

Why does the Vita need a redesign when they have SO much stock in warehouses and on store shelves of systems already built?

Maybe make sure as a system it can actually be successful enough to warrant the effort first? I love my Vita but it's not selling. Redesigning something and producing it when you can't even sell out of your existing stock seems silly.

As someone who couldn't care less about handheld gaming and a probable PS4 owner this sounds great to me. It's a bit disturbing to see them abandon the Vita so readily though.

vivftp

Why does the Vita need a redesign when they have SO much stock in warehouses and on store shelves of systems already built?

Maybe make sure as a system it can actually be successful enough to warrant the effort first? I love my Vita but it's not selling. Redesigning something and producing it when you can't even sell out of your existing stock seems silly.

IMO a Vita redesign doesn't make much sense. Sure they can probably make it cheaper to produce and MAYBE add some features like HDMI out and whatnot, but that's not what is needed. Vita/Playstation phones and tablets - THOSE are what are needed! Devices with far larger mass appeal, physical controls and running Vita and Android. Tell me who wouldn't want one! :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Redesign did wonders for both the PS3 and the DS.

Obviously it doesn't do much by itself and Sony hasn't shown much interest in turning the system around so I'd agree its pretty pointless for the Vita.

Zaventem

Redesign did wonders for both the PS3 and the DS.

Obviously it doesn't do much by itself and Sony hasn't shown much interest in turning the system around so I'd agree its pretty pointless for the Vita.

but the vita is already a sexy looking system, it needs games. People were against the psp getting these half ass toned down ports but the vita has the power to run them without losing much.

Takao

Banned
You can't have a show dedicated to Vita's lineup because that would require Vita to actually have an upcoming retail lineup.

Hmm, for some reason, I thought you knew plenty about Vita's 2014 lineup.

I know plenty about indie/psn releases for 2014. Or plenty in relative terms. I don't know what big games are coming.

Why do you have a stick up your ass about me? In a thread earlier this week you claimed that I said they were going to be on stage at E3 when i posted about 300000 times that I had no idea what was happening on stage at E3 because I didn't know anyone that was a part of that, I only knew about the show floor. And even if I misspoke and did say that, which i didn't, that would make me 13 for 16 with my E3 leaks.

I get that your entire existence here is shitting on the vita... and that's fine, there's plenty to shit on. But I don't understand why you are turning that angst against me.

As someone who couldn't care less about handheld gaming and a probable PS4 owner this sounds great to me. It's a bit disturbing to see them abandon the Vita so readily though.

This entire thing is blown out of proportion... which, unfortunately, is happening at an alarming rate among gamers lately (I would say "around here" but I see it on reddit also... people are just tweaking out about everything).

I have no idea who even said the "gamescom will be a vita show" comment at E3 so I can't claim to know what they were thinking but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that gamescom was going to be about the PS4 first and foremost. I think most rational people interpreted that comment as a mix of PR speak and 'we'll have more shit at gamescom than we do here."

And I was told today that nothing on this front has changed. Nothing that they were going to show for the vita has been pulled. It's all still there. Someone at SCEE made a facebook post saying that gamescom was all about PS4 games because that's what people want to hear. When microsoft screwed the pooch with their unveil what did they say about e3? It's all about the games! They know to win back the hardcore... the people who actually sit down and watch streams of these things, they need to talk about games and not TV. So SCEE is advertising this thing as "games games games" and everyone freaks the hell out because they don't mention the vita by name.

Guess what... a conference billed as keying on the vita when 10 to 15 million people are going to be buying PS4s in the next year would make a lot of potential customers pissed off and not tune into the convention.

But, again, I talked to someone and everything that was previously slated for gamescom related to the vita is still happening. Everyone here is bugging out about the wording.

Sony isn't trustable when it comes to Vita info - I get that. They have been frustrating. They never promised a big presence at either E3 but it was glaring each time when there wasn't one. Their Vita Games Heaven shit that dragged on forever and ended up being 19 monster hunter clones sucked. Gamescom last year was decent but not amazing. I get that people don't trust sony when it comes to the vita... but I'm telling you, nothing has changed. If gamescom comes and goes and you still feel like there wasn't enough vita it's not because they changed their theme - it's because there was never going to be enough vita in the first place.

I can understand not trusting sony on vita shit because of prior showings... but not trusting them because of a PR guy at E3 mixed with a facebook post is the definition of reactionary. People need to chill out.

I'm still chewing on my current Vita titles, personally I'm pretty happy with my selection at the moment. Looking forward to Killzone and Tearaway big time.

Takao

Banned
I think he is referring to off screen play. Using the Vita as a controller and screen for the PS4.

No, he's referring to Remote Play. That requires you to own a Vita + PS4 and have the Vita either connected to the internet or nearby the PS4 to work. As Vita is a portable device that setup is pretty restricting, and as someone who bought a Vita on day 1 I have little interest in PS4 due to Sony's treatment of that platform.

Bikram

You people are funny. If Sony focuses on Vita games then all will cry where are PS4 games and if Sony focuses on PS4 everyone will cry where are the Vita games. GAF cannot be pleased :p

I would like a blow-out on the PlayStation 4 OS and function. Just release a video telling us everything we need to know.

Yea i would like that as well and i was hoping they would talk about the psn services / Servers and how it has improved over the ps4, download speeds and all that. Would prefer that over game line up. Cause i am happy with launch titles and i know SOny will deliver later on

DiscoJer

You people are funny. If Sony focuses on Vita games then all will cry where are PS4 games and if Sony focuses on PS4 everyone will cry where are the Vita games. GAF cannot be pleased :p

Well, yeah, some people have Vitas and some people only play games on consoles. GAF is not that monolithic, at least when it comes to gaming.

But when you have one platform that is quite moribund, and one platform likely to sell out for the next year at least and had a big show just a couple months ago.

Maybe there is no market for the Vita. But I'd at least like to see Sony try with Gran Turismo Vita, getting big 3rd party titles like Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 or maybe something original, like a GTA, Saint's Row, Fallout, or Elder Scrolls game.

Yea i would like that as well and i was hoping they would talk about the psn services / Servers and how it has improved over the ps4, download speeds and all that. Would prefer that over game line up. Cause i am happy with launch titles and i know SOny will deliver later on

I would love that. They haven't really talked much about improvements to PSN, and that's what I'm really interested in besides the OS itself. Hoping to see lots of details after Gamescom.

kevm3

They definitely need to show new titles for the Vita, but the PS4 is coming out this year, so it would make sense to use every opportunity to showcase the system.

hesido

I hope Sony doesn't show anything that will have the same fate as Eight Days and Getaway. I remember getting hyped for them. Though I didn't buy PS3 for those games, they were part of the overall expectation of experiences that I'd get from the console.

sublimit

Banned
I wonder whether they'll show any Japanese exclusives or keep them in the dark a bit longer for a TGS reveal...is TGS still relevant enough for big console game reveals?

Replicant

Hopefully this is not a rehash of the 4 PS4 games they've shown thus far, or worse any of the previously announced 3rd party PS4 games (AC4, watch_dogs, etc).

Top Bottom