• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pennywise83 said:
This kind of thing was accomplished by Red Steel 2 developers. Whene the pointer is out of screen the game will use the WM+ to track the aim.

That's good. I wonder how long it stays accurate for, in the case of the move, how long it stays accurate with the eye covered (although that's a bit academic..)

Raist said:
I was mostly talking about the whole badmouthing the competition.

As far as interfaces go, analog sticks, touch-screen handhelds, balance boards have been done way before. They all failed tho. Nintendo sure knows when to use stuff at the right time.
I guess to a degree. Nintendo doesn't badmouth the competition directly, although they do occasionally give off an aloof air. And as far as Nintendo, it's never the technology itself that's innovative so much as its application. They always have the right software to launch it right out of the gate. And yeah, timing is a big factor as well.

I think Sam Bishop is going to find out that all the cool stuff he was excited for will be embargoed and unfit for public consumption until a later date. He'll see it though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Linkzg said:
you know what I mean

instead of having two MOVE controllers to play that boxing game, slap on a glowing bacll to the nunchuck and have that act the second point of reference.
No, wait, you are actually confusing me. Motion in the subcontroller is useless because it has no glowing ball. Or maybe "diminished use." Without the ball, no real tracking.

You know what the worst thing is? I want another analog stick on the Move so that you can actually BETTER play FPS with it.

cakefoo

Dead Man Typing said:
There's potential to see here that hasn't been there since the Wii came out over 3 years ago?

I love playing the Wii, and I'm sure Sony's version will be more accurate and the games will look better, but I'm not seeing anything here that I didn't see at E3 2006 when the Wii was playable.
wtf

Developers know what they're getting with this, an opportunity to port Wii titles that weren't successful on the Wii to a machine where no one will buy them here either.
Or, now that there are TWO consoles capable of 1:1 accuracy, maybe this will help Wii get better third party support for M+...

Without a controller being packaged with every PS3 this can never be anything more than an alternate control method. SIXAXIS is included in every PS3 controller and no developer uses that without providing a solution that uses the analogue sticks.
But that's simply because Sixaxis is little more than tilt/waggle...

The machine is more expensive
The machine is HD, plays Blu-ray, runs 3D, plays Netflix in HD, has a robust online, and has better traditional/core games and a better traditional controller than the Wii. I don't think anyone's buying their PS3 -just- for a single function... I think casuals who initially want Move and nothing more will look at all the additional features of the PS3 and realize that they're getting much more than a Wii ($199 +$19 for M+) for $299 +$99 (assuming Sony doesn't offer a cheaper Slim PS3 and a more generous bundle discount by late November)

and the games so far, are the same tech demos Nintendo showed nearly 4 years ago.
You mean to tell me that Wii Boxing rivals what I saw in the Move fighting game? Twilight Princess and Red Steel are a match for the Move sword/shield game?

Move is better than even M+ (the camera allows head/body tracking, and a better absolute position tracking system) let alone the basic Wiimote.

There is very little to be excited about, or to think developers will be excited about.
As I said, Move will make it easier for developers to justify more Motion+ development, as they now have two platforms to take advantage of motion controls. And I think Wii owners should be excited that developers will now have that much more incentive to explore Motion+.

KnightM7

Banned
cacildo: said:
Oh yeah, im going there: im comparing the ps3 move with the wii point by point

(when i get to finish that ill probably already be beaten)
Cant wait for the Natal comparison..

Orange jumpsuits - $100 for a couple?
White face paint if youre black - $10?

Raist

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
His points are:
-it doesn't have a wire
-it has less buttons
-the nunchuk doesn't have a gyro
-it uses a different battery
-it has a glowing ball on the top

next up on part 2:
-it has the sony logo on it, not the nintendo logo
-the buttons have different names
-it's shaped different

So gofreak made that quote up?

Son, I am disappoint.

radioheadrule83 said:
Where's the melt-down in his post? Some of you Sony fans are downright defensive today... while Move has origins in the EyeToy, it would be ridiculous to try and tell people that the Move is not shamelessly ripping off the Wii standard and pandering to its audience. Thats all he was saying. Sony aren't trying to hide that at all... their Move/Sub-controller promo photo is practically identical to the Wiimote/Nunchuck promo photo. They WANT people to know they're ripping it off, and they want people to think they're doing it better too.

And please don't deny being a Sony fan. General MS/Nintendo bashing, recalling "Xbox stole PS2 features" posts that (in all probability) no one else on this forum remembers, the Kratos avatar supplementing each and every post of yours that is trying to quell any and all dissent... if he's having meltdowns, you're a Sony shill, an obvious zealous console warrior with a predictable avatar and online persona to match. Is that fair to you? It probably isn't. I don't know you or your post history, I don't care to either -- what I'm trying to say is - don't throw stones from glass houses. Something tells me that if Nintendo or Microsoft were unveiling new hardware with peripheral aesthetics and marketing that ripped off Sony in every way -- you and your ilk would be all over it like a bad rash.

radioheadrule83
Believes in his Wii
(Today, 09:08 PM)
Reply | Quote

NO NO NO UR DOING IT WRONNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

Boogiepop

Eh.... not so fond of the blatant copying-ness of this, and that it apparently feels light is not a good thing...
But anyway, any impressions on the feel of the thing? The nunchuck felt like it worked for me because it fit to your hand with the design, but with something like this it seems like one-handed stick would just be a tad awkward/unwieldy. Also, are those buttons as ridiculously, ridiculously small as they look?

cacildo

EmCeeGramr said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/03/how...-a-wii-remote/

His points are:
-it doesn't have a wire
-it has less buttons
-the nunchuk doesn't have a gyro
-it uses a different battery
-it has a glowing ball on the top

next up on part 2:
-it has the sony logo on it, not the nintendo logo
-the buttons have different names
-it's shaped different

Right on the spot. The article is terrible.

These differences are so small that not a single non-forum-poster consumer will notice em.

Kotaku, once again ladies and gentleman

Unfortunally people will really see the release of PS3 MOVE as a Wii copy (unless a REALLY good and innovative come along)

noah111

Still Alive
dragonfart28 said:
So use your brains, dopes. The marketing and hype is fine, but the technology is still highly unremarkable and unproven.
2r5c1nq.gif

:p

Salazar

Can't wait to tell Mum that dinner 'lacked the Nintendo magic', or write on a student's paper 'lacks Nintendo magic'.

Thanks, Gaf.

cacildo said:

These differences are so small that not a single non-forum-poster consumer will notice em.

Unfortunally people will really see the release of PS3 MOVE as a Wii copy (unless a REALLY good and innovative come along)

And will buy it if they already own a PS3. Dude, stop being so one-sided. I know your Wii is collecting Dust and all and you're waiting for your savior Red Steel 2 to show up but seriously man, you're making your avatar look smarter than you...

Averon

Wow @ this thread.

Insecurity, defensiveness and fanboyism all wrapped in a nice package. I assume the mod's ban button will get a nice workout soon?

radioheadrule83 said:
Where's the melt-down in his post? Some of you Sony fans are downright defensive today... while Move has origins in the EyeToy, it would be ridiculous to try and tell people that the Move is not shamelessly ripping off the Wii standard and pandering to its audience. Thats all he was saying. Sony aren't trying to hide that at all... their Move/Sub-controller promo photo is practically identical to the Wiimote/Nunchuck promo photo. They WANT people to know they're ripping it off, and they want people to think they're doing it better too.

And please don't deny being a Sony fan. General MS/Nintendo bashing, recalling "Xbox stole PS2 features" posts that (in all probability) no one else on this forum remembers, the Kratos avatar supplementing each and every post of yours that is trying to quell any and all dissent... if he's having meltdowns, you're a Sony shill, an obvious zealous console warrior with a predictable avatar and online persona to match. Is that fair to you? It probably isn't. I don't know you or your post history, I don't care to either -- what I'm trying to say is - don't throw stones from glass houses. Something tells me that if Nintendo or Microsoft were unveiling new hardware with peripheral aesthetics and marketing that ripped off Sony in every way -- you and your ilk would be all over it like a bad rash.

right, fun's over. It's getting abit serious now. lock all the doors and bolt the windows

Empty

I meant that they ran through their titles for their year and didn't mention it, not that they would ever show a trailer here of course.

SolidSnakex said:
Because it's not coming out this year. That was made fairly clear by Yoshida's post on the PSblog.

Please link.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cacildo said:

You didn't read the article. It's actually quite positive about the Move.

Raist

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I guess to a degree. Nintendo doesn't badmouth the competition directly, although they do occasionally give off an aloof air. And as far as Nintendo, it's never the technology itself that's innovative so much as its application. They always have the right software to launch it right out of the gate. And yeah, timing is a big factor as well.

Yeah well Nintendo is much more... subtle when it comes to that stuff. I guess it's the Japanese way :p
Microsoft might be the worst offender. Natal's reveal was brutal :lol

And yeah, I should have added that they also certainly know how to launch their products.
Recent era Nintendo basically feels more like a great marketing company than an innovative company. Sony would rather be a great engineering company. Not at the top of innovation either, but they certainly know their hardware.

Bastion

TTP said:
Both Sony and Nintendo have been researching alternative input methods for years. Sony went for the EyeToy first and realized a controller with buttons and such is still needed to broaden its applications. Nintendo also said they explored a camera only solution but came to the same conclusion as Sony and created the Wii rightaway (a brave move, no question).

With Natal, Microsoft in jumping on the very same boat both Sony and Nintendo jumped off. You can call it me too-ism, but that's where research in this field is pointing at as the best solution.
:lol :D

Zeitgeister said:
Eyetoy measure simple pixelchanges and then aplies that surface to the gamerules on screen. And that's it. Putting a piece of paper in front of an eyetoy works just as well. (by concept, in reality it will probably not respond to full white input)

Natal is (by concept anyway) a complete simulated controller, in the sense that hand gestures and motions are recognized as a specific controller (say, a steering wheel) and then emulates that to correspond with the appropriate gesture and motions. The software therefore needs to be able to learn and be fairly smart compared to industry standards.

They couldn't be more different in a technological sense and to boot, Natal is (once again, by concept) pretty much one of those 'holy grails' this industry has been looking for since it started. That is, if it would actually work and not tell N'Gai to go take a hike.

They're both cameras but one is more technologically advanced than the other. In other words the situation is very similar to Wiimote and Move.

AkuMifune

Banned
MDSLKTR said:
GAF can be so predictable sometimes :lol

And yet it still amazes me all the time. How can be people be so for/against specific corporations? Shouldn't we all just care about gaming? Oh wait...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Konosuke said:
What concerns me also is the durability of Move. I'm a bit clumsy myself and the sphere seems so so fragile.

They are rubbery and flexible. That's not rigid plastic.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
interesting conference. not surprised to see the market follow Nintendo's amazing success and try to top it.

My only concern is the same as it always has been with the Eyetoys, it relies on reading visuals through a camera and translating that to movement which is a subtle but possibly substantial difference to the Wii where it seems there is a 'proper' relationship between your tv and your wiimote. By this I mean that the Wiimote knows where your tv/sensor bar is and behaves in relation to that, whereas the PSMove is an interpretation of your wand movement in 3D space. I'm not sure what the relationship is there or if there will be anything to distinguish between the different techniques.

One thing I've always hated with the Eyetoy though is the whole seeing yourself on screen thing. It demonstrates how poorly (imo) the eyetoy operates. The Wii feels like the game has brought an in-game object into your hand. The Eyetoy feels like its put a mirror image of you on the screen and in-game objects react to your on-screen image.

If you need an idea of how awkward this is, look at yourself in a mirror or webcam and try to do something like pour yourself a drink or pick up a ball using only the webcam image for guidance. I wonder if the more advanced stuff is simply an extension of this technique but with the image hidden and abit of extra power to process 3D motion.

But from the looks of it the rest of it looks promising and all my concerns will probably turn out to be completely unfounded. I just have a feeling Nintendo looked at these kind of techniques already and found reasons to reject them all so will be dubious about other attempts until I hear proper reviews.

The Wii vs PS3 wars in this thread are historical. :lol :lol

Y2Kev said:
I don't really see the big deal. What's motion supposed to be used for in the nunchuck? Throwing grenades? Reloading a weapon?

Not to jump on you but I assume that you don't play many Wii games. The motion in the nunchuck has found significant use in many Wii games.

jman2050

cakefoo said:
The machine is HD, plays Blu-ray, runs 3D, plays Netflix in HD, has a robust online, and has better traditional/core games and a better traditional controller than the Wii. I don't think anyone's buying their PS3 -just- for a single function... I think casuals who initially want Move and nothing more will look at all the additional features of the PS3 and realize that they're getting much more than a Wii ($199 +$19 for M+) for $299 +$99 (assuming Sony doesn't offer a cheaper Slim PS3 and a more generous bundle discount by late November)

You all continue to say stuff like this, and you all continue to be wrong.

People won't spend $400 on a system that plays motion-controlled games when they can already spend $220 for a system that plays motion-controlled games now. All other bells and whistles be damned.

Y2Kev said:
No, wait, you are actually confusing me. Motion in the subcontroller is useless because it has no glowing ball. Or maybe "diminished use." Without the ball, no real tracking.

You know what the worst thing is? I want another analog stick on the Move so that you can actually BETTER play FPS with it.

I'm saying that there shouldn't be a nunchuck/SUBCONTROLLER. The wand should have an analog stick, four face buttons, two shoulder buttons. One controller that can serve all purposes. The PS3 controller is already symmetrical, so take two of these wands and you've got a dual shock controller.

Right now there are are games that:
-use dual shock 3
-use 1 move
-use 2 move
-use 1 move + 1 subcontroller

It's so confusing.

dragonfart28 said:
The sword and shield game looks pretty cool. If they could implement that same control in Demon Soul's 2 that would be awesome.

I don't think that would work. You need the subcontroller to move, but no motion would mean you can't control the shield. You would need two PSMoves, but then your character wouldn't be able to..uh.. move.

Top Bottom