• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Snipes424 said:
The only thing I didn't like was the sub controller to be sold separately. Now if it's going to be packed in with SOCOM 4 or other hardcore games, than I don't see a problem with that... but segregating the market before there even is a market is not a smart move.

Everything else though looked cool and I can't wait to try out some stuff.

You can use the dualshock controller as a subcontroller.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Cruzader said:
:lol :lol

Ah, I love meltdowns, specially coming from Wii fans....

Guy have you been under a rock for the past few years? I feel like the "Xbox stole PS2 features" BS fanboy shit from way back..."MS stole the HDD idea and online concept". Hey did you cry when you say the buttons "A/B/X/Y" on MS' console too?

Grow some balls people. Yea Sony/MS are trying to take some of Nintendo's audience since last year or so. You seemed shocked at this year's GDC. "OMG a wand! We knew it was coming and wii like but im shocked!"

PS: Dont watch MS conf. at this year's E3 or you'll kill yourself.

:/

I think ppl are just surprised at how shamelessly similar Sony's product is....

I'm sure you agreed in 06 the the Wiimote would become a standard controller for all systems in a few years.

Garjon

fortified_concept said:
So, does anyone have a general idea on how many 1st party teams are involved in this party crap?
Hopefully VERY few. Though I have a suspicion that Sony will go all out with this :(

On a lighter note, lol at some of the gifs in this thread, though I'm surprised there's yet to be any photoshops =/

boiled goose

good with gravy
TheLegendary said:
This is really deflating. Just picked up a PS3 and was excited for some interesting announcements and we basically got..Wii HD. . And they didn't even get the improved accuracy that we all expected right...the games were still super hokey. Yikes. Obviously it's optional but it just all seems like a waste.

I'm more hopeful for the Natal. If it can truly do what MS says it can, then they win easily in terms of innovation.

Pachter redeemed!
:lol

chris0701

Sentry said:
How the is that dumb? Did you not see there's a sub controller as well? Options man, it's what I said weeks ago and i'll say it again; if it serves the same purpose, why the fuck not.

What I said "dumb" is to use DS3 as sub controller with Move. Very awkward.

Just like the RE 5 demo'ed in tgs09

Wizpig

fortified_concept said:
Please don't be a Wii fan. The irony will kill me.
Look, you can't say 100% of Wii games are "casual", right?

So, if the Wii demonstrated that more classic/full-fledged games can be done with those controls, why did Sony show casual minigames? because they don't believe in the motion controls.
That's my point, sorry if it seemed fanboy-ish or stupid or something.
And no, please, don't say "these are just the first games".
These ARE the first games, but after seeing what the Wii could do in these years why did they decide to do their own Wii Sports instead of Metroid Prime 3?

No, I'm not a Wii fan, actually.
More like a DS fan.
badcrumble said:
Indeed.

amtentori said:
:/

I think ppl are just surprised at how shamelessly similar Sony's product is....

I'm sure you agreed in 06 the the Wiimote would become a standard controller for all systems in a few years.

And Natal copied Eyetoy but you don't see see many Sony fans whining like little children about it.

Wizpig said:
Look, you can't say 100% of Wii games are "casual", right?
You can't say the same thing about Move either. Did you miss the conference or something?

Raist

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Well what are they going to say, "At Sony we're not interested in gimmicks." Oh, wait... Now the cat is out of the bag. There's no reason to be coy because their inspiration is so obvious. And of course they're boosting the true potential of motion controls... now that they blatantly lifted their interface from elsewhere and slapped in some extra bells and whistles. That's not to say the controller will be bad or fail on the market, it's just that Sony is so fucking full of shit in the way they talk about their competitors. There's regular PR spin and there's blatant hypocrisy. I don't think it's hard to see which side Sony came down on regarding motion control from before this generation started until now.

Oh please, they're ALL pulling the same shit.

Engadget with the hands on:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/playstation-move-first-hands-on/

At last, we've felt Sony's long awaited motion controller, now at last officially known as "PlayStation Move," in our unworthy, sweaty hands. We have a bunch of videos on the way, along with some impressions to share, but for now you can revel in our first close-ups of the controllers in the gallery below. Here are some of our initial thoughts:

The controllers are light. Much more akin to the DualShock3 than the Wiimote in heft, and we're guessing that's due to Sony's continued love of rechargeable battery.
The main controller does have some subtle vibration (not DualShock or Wiimote level, but present), but we're not sure yet about the subcontroller.

We hate to say this about "pre-alpha" software, but we're feeling lag. An on-rails shooter we tried out, dubbed The Shoot, was discernibly inferior to shooting experiences we've had on the Wii, both in precision and refresh rate of the aiming cursor.

The gladiator game is about as fun as it looks, we'll have video after the break momentarily. Unfortunately, while it's less of a defined experience than something like the sword game on Wii Sports Resort, you're still working through a library of sensed, pre-defined actions instead of a true 1:1 fighting game with simulated physics. Not that it isn't possible with PlayStation Move, just that it's not this.

The lightness of the controllers means we might be feeling less of that Wiimote fatigue, always a good thing! There's an aspect of the controller that feels a little cheap, but at the same time we wouldn't call it fragile.

As far as we can tell, the control scheme for Socom 4 is quite similar to dual-controller shooter setups on the Wii, with the camera moving based on your aiming cursor hitting the edge. It's hard to see this as the preferred hardcore setup, but we're told it's configurable, so we'll try and see what else is on offer.

noah111

Still Alive
Scootydowopp said:
The thing to me that makes it just soooooo sad is the blatant mimicry. At least Natal is way off in left field.
This just reeks to high heaven of me too-ism, and thats the sore spot.

I don't think this should be about Sony fans or Nintendo fans. To me, it should be about fans of class.
This isn't being done with class, and people tend to avoid things that reek, be it knock off or true stinks.
Let tell you something about respect in the japanese culture..

:lol

TunaLover said:
But does it have rumble in the nunchuk? uh?
Nope. :\

cacildo

Oh yeah, im going there: im comparing the ps3 move with the wii point by point

(when i get to finish that ill probably already be beaten)

Design

The part of MOVE that looks like a black wiimote looks like a black wiimote. Curvy design makes it feels modern. Yet, it still looks like wiimote+nunchuck

The ball is scary, ugly and out of place. Too kiddy for serious gamers, too bizarre for expanded audience. At least the wiimote had the benefit of looking like a blank page

Winner: wii

Tech

Waste of time to say anything

Winner: PS3

Introduction video:lol :lol

http://www.viddler.com/explore/PSBlogEU/videos/320/0

Oh my god that´s awful.

Its basically the same thing as first wii videos, but this time it makes you want to kill yourself, since it got TOO OLD

And it lacks nintendo magic

Demos - first footage

The first games announced looks just like first wii games

Sports + Party + On rails shooter.

Once again: TOO OLD!!!

Realistic street fighting and Hammer fight? That looks good! Good, innovative ideas! But the street fighting aint looking that hot yet.

Winner: Wii, but just because the PS3 is once again reciclyng most of the wii old stuff. If it were made of new ideas like the street fighting PS3 could be the winner here.

Price

Wii = everything you need for $200. Want an extra set of controllers? 60 bucks little man. total $260

PS3 Move = How much do a PS3 cost these days? Lets put $250. Well, they said that the starters kit for the MOVE will be less than $100, lets put it on $80. Extra set of controllers? probably $50 more. total - Almost $500

RANT

Teh wiiz is only for kids and grandmasaaa loots of shovelwarez onoly things dat selz is marioz

Man that PS3 move shit is expensive as shit! And i got all this on the wii whats that? Oh, but maybe they got some new games out of this. Some really new stuff.

In the end - I just got home. Saw the screens and thought "hey, maybe the world of motion controlled game have really changed. Maybe i should in the future get a PS3 because it looks like it can get motion control RIGHT. And red steel 2 just got old right now!

The i read about the whole thing and... nah.... not yet. PS3 MOVE will have to show a lot more to prove that its worthy. And im still waiting for Red Steel 2

Y2Kev said:
Have you even SEEN the guitar hero plug-in controller game? It's the future man. The synth in that game is almost to where it was for Michael Jackson's beat it.

Music Champions, coming soon *four HOME avatars play Eurorock rendition oTurkey in the Straw*

KTallguy

Banned
I missed the party, anything up on youtube?

I will buy one to play RE5, and if something better comes later I'll jump on that.
Motion Control can be amazing when applied right, but software will trump technology in most cases, which is why Nintendo is so good in the first place.

Empty

The worst part of the conference for me wasn't the shamelessly derivative Wii ripoff with its shovelware tech demos, unless they put developers that i care about on the device i can ignore it, but that they talked about 2010 titles and didn't mention The Last Guardian.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Garjon said:
Hopefully VERY few. Though I have a suspicion that Sony will go all out with this :(

On a lighter note, lol at some of the gifs in this thread, though I'm surprised there's yet to be any photoshops =/

I don't think Sony will go completely all out. There are about 30m PS3 without the controller.
People that bought the PS3 in the past didn't buy it because of motion control.

It is kind of a catch 22. Nintendo puts there AAA teams on casual games. Should Sony? They might have to to replicate the success of nintendo's killer apps like WSR and Wiifit, but if they do, they are also abandoning a large chunk of their userbase.

Should be an interesting time come 2011! :D

MYE

fortified_concept said:
Please don't be a Wii fan. The irony will kill me.

What is it with you and branding posters as X or Y fans? :lol

Bitter much? Take a deep breath and come back later, maybe?

wait wait wait...

so, the Chuk doesn't have rumble OR any type of motion tech in it?

AND Sony is mocking us by fixing the L2 trigger they fucked in the first place?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sony is golden this gen, absolutely GOLDEN. And the defense force in here is doing their finest work yet.

KnightM7

Banned
Hiltz said:
Everything it just showed off at GDC can be done with Natal (which at least can do some unique things) while the actual motion control is basically the same thing that the Wii can do whether its with the standard controls or MotionPlus.
Like Socom?
Has MS showed even showed an fps game yet?

Empty said:
The worst part of the conference for me wasn't the shamelessly derivative Wii ripoff with its shovelware tech demos, unless they put developers that i care about on the device i can ignore it, but that they talked about 2010 titles and didn't mention The Last Guardian.

Because it's not coming out this year. That was made fairly clear by Yoshida's post on the PSblog.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Scootydowopp said:
The thing to me that makes it just soooooo sad is the blatant mimicry. At least Natal is way off in left field.
This just reeks to high heaven of me too-ism, and thats the sore spot.

I don't think this should be about Sony fans or Nintendo fans. To me, it should be about fans of class.
This isn't being done with class, and people tend to avoid things that reek, be it knock off or true stinks.

Both Sony and Nintendo have been researching alternative input methods for years. Sony went for the EyeToy first and realized a controller with buttons and such is still needed to broaden its applications. Nintendo also said they explored a camera only solution but came to the same conclusion as Sony and created the Wii rightaway (a brave move, no question).

With Natal, Microsoft in jumping on the very same boat both Sony and Nintendo jumped off. You can call it me too-ism, but that's where research in this field is pointing at as the best solution.

Razor210

The gladiator game is about as fun as it looks, we'll have video after the break momentarily. Unfortunately, while it's less of a defined experience than something like the sword game on Wii Sports Resort, you're still working through a library of sensed, pre-defined actions instead of a true 1:1 fighting game with simulated physics. Not that it isn't possible with PlayStation Move, just that it's not this.
I remember Sony saying something about not having pre-defined actions at a certain E3...

dragonfart28 said:
I know it's supposed to be 'better than Wii', but the pointer controls look very very sluggish. This was the same problem with the RE5 demo shown earlier. Is there a reason why the pointer looks so stagnant and unresponsive?

I've mentioned this theory before, but I don't think that the device is capable of the same absolute pointing as the Wiimote. It works in one of two different ways, it either relies on the absolute position of the device in the room (so you have to actually move your arm around to move the pointer but it's accurate) or the cursor movement is mapped to the tilt of the controller (so you can make smaller movements, but it's abstract and a lot like using an analog stick that's faster)

Neither solutions are an ideal and both would be worse than the Wiimote pointer (And I've still yet to see a demo that doesn't seem to either have sluggish pointer controls like Socom or RE5, or a requirement for big sweeping movements like LBP)

Edit:
At last, we've felt Sony's long awaited motion controller, now at last officially known as "PlayStation Move," in our unworthy, sweaty hands. We have a bunch of videos on the way, along with some impressions to share, but for now you can revel in our first close-ups of the controllers in the gallery below. Here are some of our initial thoughts:

The controllers are light. Much more akin to the DualShock3 than the Wiimote in heft, and we're guessing that's due to Sony's continued love of rechargeable battery.
The main controller does have some subtle vibration (not DualShock or Wiimote level, but present), but we're not sure yet about the subcontroller.

We hate to say this about "pre-alpha" software, but we're feeling lag. An on-rails shooter we tried out, dubbed The Shoot, was discernibly inferior to shooting experiences we've had on the Wii, both in precision and refresh rate of the aiming cursor.

The lightness of the controllers means we might be feeling less of that Wiimote fatigue, always a good thing! There's an aspect of the controller that feels a little cheap, but at the same time we wouldn't call it fragile.

As far as we can tell, the control scheme for Socom 4 is quite similar to dual-controller shooter setups on the Wii, with the camera moving based on your aiming cursor hitting the edge. It's hard to see this as the preferred hardcore setup, but we're told it's configurable, so we'll try and see what else is on offer.

cr_04009_01_v6.jpg

I FUCKING KNEW IT! HA, :lol @ everyone who didn't believe me about how the pointer controls worked!

borsdy

Banned
Cruzader said:
:lol :lol

Ah, I love meltdowns, specially coming from Wii fans....

Guy have you been under a rock for the past few years? I feel like the "Xbox stole PS2 features" BS fanboy shit from way back..."MS stole the HDD idea and online concept". Hey did you cry when you say the buttons "A/B/X/Y" on MS' console too?

Grow some balls people. Yea Sony/MS are trying to take some of Nintendo's audience since last year or so. You seemed shocked at this year's GDC. "OMG a wand! We knew it was coming and wii like but im shocked!"

PS: Dont watch MS conf. at this year's E3 or you'll kill yourself.
I liked that your response to GB didn't have anything to do with his post.

defel

Empty said:

Isnt GDC hardware focused? Thats what Sony did. GDC isnt really the venue for announcing games

Empty said:

the last guardian will not come this year. The elephant in the room is GT5 which is coming this fall.

cacildo said:
Oh yeah, im going there: im comparing the ps3 move with the wii point by point

(when i get to finish that ill probably already be beaten)

Design

The part of MOVE that looks like a black wiimote looks like a black wiimote. Curvy design makes it feels modern. Yet, it still looks like wiimote+nunchuck

The ball is scary, ugly and out of place. Too kiddy for serious gamers, too bizarre for expanded audience. At least the wiimote had the benefit of looking like a blank page

Tech

Waste of time to say anything

Introduction video:lol :lol

http://www.viddler.com/explore/PSBlogEU/videos/320/0

Oh my god that´s awful.

Its basically the same thing as first wii videos, but this time it makes you want to kill yourself, since it got TOO OLD

And it lacks nintendo magic

Demos - first footage

The first games announced looks just like first wii games

Sports + Party + On rails shooter.

Once again: TOO OLD!!!

Realistic street fighting and Hammer fight? That looks good! Good, innovative ideas! But the street fighting aint looking that hot yet.

Winner: Wii, but just because the PS3 is once again reciclyng most of the wii old stuff. If it were made of new ideas like the street fighting PS3 could be the winner here.

Price

Wii = everything you need for $200. Want an extra set of controllers? 60 bucks little man. total $260

PS3 Move = How much do a PS3 cost these days? Lets put $250. Well, they said that the starters kit for the MOVE will be less than $100, lets put it on $80. Extra set of controllers? probably $50 more. total - Almost $500

RANT

Teh wiiz is only for kids and grandmasaaa loots of shovelwarez onoly things dat selz is marioz

Man that PS3 move shit is expensive as shit! And i got all this on the wii whats that? Oh, but maybe they got some new games out of this. Some really new stuff.

In the end - I just got home. Saw the screens and thought "hey, maybe the world of motion controlled game have really changed. Maybe i should in the future get a PS3 because it looks like it can get motion control RIGHT. And red steel 2 just got old right now!

The i read about the whole thing and... nah.... not yet. PS3 MOVE will have to show a lot more to prove that its worthy. And im still waiting for Red Steel 2

and people bitch at me when I quoted a dude who said that alot of Wii owners are getting nervous and insecure over PSMove...

Elan tedronai said:
i am guessing you never played all those ps2 eyetoy games have you?

I have one in my basement. I also have the Xbox Live Vision camera with You're in the Movies for the 360. THAT was a copy of the eyetoy and has essentially the same functionality.

Natal (again, if MS delivers on their promises) is completely different.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
2 Minutes Turkish said:
wait wait wait...

so, the Chuk doesn't have rumble OR any type of motion tech in it?

AND Sony is mocking us by fixing the L2 trigger they fucked in the first place?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sony is golden this gen, absolutely GOLDEN. And the defense force in here is doing their finest work yet.
I don't really see the big deal. What's motion supposed to be used for in the nunchuck? Throwing grenades? Reloading a weapon?

I do think one group that Sony could potentially steal some sales from Nintendo is with the sports games that tend more towards realism and are naturally compatible with motion controls like Tiger Woods and Virtua Tennis. I can see some of the hardcore fans of these games gravitating to the PS3 version to get HD and better motion-control accuracy.

The casual stuff shown here is pretty dismal, though.

noah111

Still Alive
Earl Cazone said:
sub controller wont have rumble or basic motion detection
Wait, it doesn't even have SIXAXIS type shit in it? Wow, disappoint.. they REALLY should have just designed an analog stick onto the main wand then.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I called it; I said way back that the closest thing we would get to Wii HD was SONY Wand and MSFT Natal (we have to wait for MSFT unveilment of all the casual crap Rare is working on instead of killer instinct).

SONY sure loves to copy though... the shape of the controller, analog sticks, rumble, this shit; on the software side there's Crash Bash, CTR, Uncharted (Tomb Raider well done), Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, The Getaway, etc...

Thinking about it, I've never seen a truly original thing from SONY on the gaming side... maybe the camera thing, but they never had the balls to risk anything on original stuff.

Top Bottom