• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

Empty said:
The worst part of the conference for me wasn't the shamelessly derivative Wii ripoff with its shovelware tech demos, unless they put developers that i care about on the device i can ignore it, but that they talked about 2010 titles and didn't mention The Last Guardian.

It's not E3!

wizword

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
wait wait wait...

so, the Chuk doesn't have rumble OR any type of motion tech in it?

AND Sony is mocking us by fixing the L2 trigger they fucked in the first place?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sony is golden this gen, absolutely GOLDEN. And the defense force in here is doing their finest work yet.
It was announced in the press release.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-motion-controller-named-detailed

Y2Kev said:
I don't really see the big deal. What's motion supposed to be used for in the nunchuck? Throwing grenades? Reloading a weapon?
If its anything like the Wii nunchuck I don't mind it not being there. I always feel like I'm fighting it.

Grooski

Banned
Scootydowopp said:
The thing to me that makes it just soooooo sad is the blatant mimicry. At least Natal is way off in left field.
This just reeks to high heaven of me too-ism, and thats the sore spot.

I don't think this should be about Sony fans or Nintendo fans. To me, it should be about fans of class.
This isn't being done with class, and people tend to avoid things that reek, be it knock off or true stinks.

RAGE!

I don't know how much you know about class (I'm an expert)... .... amirite?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That's not to say the controller will be bad or fail on the market, it's just that Sony is so fucking full of shit in the way they talk about their competitors. There's regular PR spin and there's blatant hypocrisy. I don't think it's hard to see which side Sony came down on regarding motion control from before this generation started until now.

I'm sure they'll back it with some serious software. Sony's never been afraid of pouring money into high profile games, even when they're in the red. I'd be surprised if something huge wasn't lying in wait.

RRAAAGGGGEEEE!!!

In other news, the SOCOM show was quite good. FPS + HD graphics + Move/SubMove + headtracking through PSEye = win. This is the experience I hope they are aiming for with the core.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nuclear Muffin said:
I've mentioned this theory before, but I don't think that the device is capable of the same absolute pointing as the Wiimote. It works in one of two different ways, it either relies on the absolute position of the device in the room (so you have to actually move your arm around to move the pointer but it's accurate) or the cursor movement is mapped to the tilt of the controller (so you can make smaller movements, but it's abstract and a lot like using an analog stick that's faster)

Neither solutions are an ideal and both would be worse than the Wiimote pointer (And I've still yet to see a demo that doesn't seem to either have sluggish pointer controls like Socom or RE5, or a requirement for big sweeping movements like LBP)

It will be an absolute fucking shame if Sony doesnt match or exceed the Wiimotes best feature for core games...

The Pointer!!!!

Any actual impressions yet about the pointer abilities of the device?

AstroMan

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised that this isn't total junk after all. Though I think that Socom 4 looked goofy as shit when played with The PlayStation Move controller. If the price is right, I'm totally interested (hopefully the Controllers come bundled with a game).

BenjaminBirdie said:
Engadget with the hands on:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/10/playstation-move-first-hands-on/

As far as we can tell, the control scheme for Socom 4 is quite similar to dual-controller shooter setups on the Wii, with the camera moving based on your aiming cursor hitting the edge. It's hard to see this as the preferred hardcore setup, but we're told it's configurable, so we'll try and see what else is on offer.

Wouldn't be an issue if they had put a second analogue stick on the thing... I'm just saying...

Cruzader said:
:lol :lol

Ah, I love meltdowns, specially coming from Wii fans....

Guy have you been under a rock for the past few years? I feel like the "Xbox stole PS2 features" BS fanboy shit from way back..."MS stole the HDD idea and online concept". Hey did you cry when you say the buttons "A/B/X/Y" on MS' console too?

Grow some balls people. Yea Sony/MS are trying to take some of Nintendo's audience since last year or so. You seemed shocked at this year's GDC. "OMG a wand! We knew it was coming and wii like but im shocked!"

PS: Dont watch MS conf. at this year's E3 or you'll kill yourself.
When you assume, something something...

I have a PS3, genius. And in case you didn't notice, my problem isn't motion controls becoming standard, which I think was inevitable when Nintendo figured out the right system of delivery for them, but that Sony's posturing along the way is unbearable.

Raist said:
Oh please, they're ALL pulling the same shit.
Bullshit. Nintendo is always first when it comes to interface, and Sony always comes along and does the same thing, but more so! That's fine, but they need to stop putting up a front about it.

Grooski said:
RRAAAGGGGEEEE!!!
Hurr hurr durrdurrdurr.

Ataturk

Gotta say too, one thing putting me off it is those damn bulbs. I mean, they just look weird. Sony usually has top notch industrial design, but in the case of these wands, ugh.

Vizion28

Banned
One advantage I see with the Wiimote over the Move is you can hold the Wiimote sideways and play a game NSMB Wii. You can't do that with Move. Also Move doesn't have a socket for a gimmick attachment (or am I missing something?). So how is Sony going to copy Wiis' Vitality Sensor?

Not always looking for the motion stuff but it's a very nice option to have. Plus third parties now have a new 3rd man out. This is a disruption and a chance at a turning point or ending point. Looking at Minis titles and how the do up scaling should help third party support for Nintendo. As someone that digs both systems and feels that first parties are second to none. The drive in 3rd party software will take to the skies for both in a true competition in best in class.

Garjon said:
Wow, one has to wonder why they even bothered showing these games off until they were finished.

I know it's kinda OT, but isn't there usually a game announcement at the GDC awards? I believe it was MW2 last year

Because it will be many months before any of these games are finished? How can you be on Gaf and not know what the fuck "Pre-Alpha" means?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Perhaps apt for this thread, Stephen Totilo's own 'point by point' how-its-not-a-wii article :lol

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/03/how-the-playstation-move-is-not-a-wii-remote/

This bit is most relevant to the tracking I guess:

-A smarter controller: I played SOCOM 4, a third-personshooter, with the Move pointed at the TV like a gun and the sub-controller in my left hand to command character movement. Wii games that were controlled with Remote and Nunchuk could be befuddled if the player pointed the Remote away from the screen. If you were playing a shooter and aimed just off the screen, the game’s camera might start spinning or the game would pause and ask for the player to point at the TV again. The combination of camera sensors – the Sony Eyetoy on top of the TV detects the presence of the Move – and a gyroscope prevented SOCOM 4 from getting confused. When I moved my controller to point off of the TV, the gyroscopic sensors kept track of my movement. The same thing happened when a SOCOM developer blocked the Eyetoy camera. The precision of the controller diminishes in these situation. but the PS3 doesn’t lose track of the device.

is stream simultaneously playing for everyone at the same time?
he's talking about Mag, Heavy Rain now on my end

*edit,. Im watching something that already passed..

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I thought this thing was supposed to eliminate input lag? I thought it was very noticable in most of the videos but maybe that's just because I was looking for it. Anyway it seems it is basically Wii HD and that's probably enough to make me buy one.

Lan_97

Most of what they showed was what I was fearing from PSMove, just more Wii games. The 1:1 doesn't seem to be used beyond augmented reality and better motion detection for scripted animations. Also, the pointer responsiveness looks suspect.

Raist

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Bullshit. Nintendo is always first when it comes to interface, and Sony always comes along and does the same thing, but more so! That's fine, but they need to stop putting up a front about it.

I was mostly talking about the whole badmouthing the competition.

As far as interfaces go, analog sticks, touch-screen handhelds, balance boards have been done way before. They all failed tho. Nintendo sure knows when to use stuff at the right time.

I cannot fucking believe this thread. I mean what is wrong with some of you? We didn't even know about this conference until a few days ago and people come in expecting E3. Anyone that was paying attention knew this was only for the motion controller. Then you have people complaining that the conference is a bust after 5 minutes and then you have people complaining about sales. A bunch of fucking juniors come out nowhere just to make stupid posts. People acting like this is the first time we've seen the controller. NEWS FLASH. It was revealed at E3 LAST YEAR and even then got nowhere near the amount of bullshit response that this thread has gotten. Hey look it has casual games. NO FUCKING REALLY. That PS Party stuff? EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME AS ON THE EYETOY FOR PS2. This thread is a brain aneurysm waiting to happen.

Garjon

amtentori said:
I don't think Sony will go completely all out. There are about 30m PS3 without the controller.
People that bought the PS3 in the past didn't buy it because of motion control.

It is kind of a catch 22. Nintendo puts there AAA teams on casual games. Should Sony? They might have to to replicate the success of nintendo's killer apps like WSR and Wiifit, but if they do, they are also abandoning a large chunk of their userbase.

Should be an interesting time come 2011! :D
It depends on where Sony is shooting for. They seemingly are going for the Wii's audience (or at least a segment of it) yet they need games to keep the core gamers happy and to remain competitive with Microsoft. No matter how successful this thing is, Sony will have to spend wads of cash just to stay in it, effectively turning the gaming industry into a war of attrition.
That said, I'm eager to see how Ninty and MSFT react to this; E3 is set to be quite a competitive event. However, I think both Sony and MSFT might be wandering into a massive trap while Iwata will laugh like a possessed maniac.

V_Ben

Banned
this sounds like a good idea!

-The coloured ball: The colourful sphere at the pointing end of the Move is the thing that the PlayStation Eye uses to detect the presence of the Move. The colour changes. In the demo I played with SOCOM 4, the sphere was orange. Why? Because the software detected that there was no orange in the background. If we had been in a different room, the colour would be different. The Wii’s signature hue may be white, but this varying colour at the end of the Move will likely prove to be the Move’s visual trademark.

Grooski said:
RAGE!

I don't know how much you know about class (I'm an expert)... .... amirite?

Not needed.

If someone gets an A for making a volcano science project, do you merely make a larger, fizzier volcano in hopes of getting an A as well?

If so, i request that the teacher clears the room when we're giving our presentations.

gofreak said:
Perhaps apt for this thread, Stephen Totilo's own 'point by point' how-its-not-a-wii article :lol

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/03/how-the-playstation-move-is-not-a-wii-remote/
His points are:
-it doesn't have a wire
-it has less buttons
-the nunchuk doesn't have a gyro
-it uses a different battery
-it has a glowing ball on the top

next up on part 2:
-it has the sony logo on it, not the nintendo logo
-the buttons have different names
-it's shaped different

Konosuke

Vizion28 said:
One advantage I see with the Wiimote over the Move is you can hold the Wiimote sideways and play a game NSMB Wii. You can't do that with Move.
For that you have plain old DualShock3. I guess Move is for movements only

DMeisterJ

Banned
Holy Shit at this thread.

Wow.

Insecurity and trolls all gathered together make for... interesting... posts.

Time to bail out of here... Since it'd be nice to have an actual discussion on the controller.

Y2Kev said:
Oh. Right. Shield. Motion control. whirrrrrrrrr

you know what I mean

instead of having two MOVE controllers to play that boxing game, slap on a glowing bacll to the nunchuck and have that act the second point of reference.

fortified_concept said:
And Natal copied Eyetoy but you don't see see many Sony fans whining like little children about it.

Eyetoy measure simple pixelchanges and then aplies that surface to the gamerules on screen. And that's it. Putting a piece of paper in front of an eyetoy works just as well. (by concept, in reality it will probably not respond to full white input)

Natal is (by concept anyway) a complete simulated controller, in the sense that hand gestures and motions are recognized as a specific controller (say, a steering wheel) and then emulates that to correspond with the appropriate gesture and motions. The software therefore needs to be able to learn and be fairly smart compared to industry standards.

They couldn't be more different in a technological sense and to boot, Natal is (once again, by concept) pretty much one of those 'holy grails' this industry has been looking for since it started. That is, if it would actually work and not tell N'Gai to go take a hike.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You have 7 controller slots on the PS3 (Bluetooth). How do you play four player?

Who cares about Sony blatantly copying and claiming as they're own? We all know better, geez.. Anyway, what people should be talking about is what they're seeing with their own eyes; and these experiences that they're marketing aren't really much different than what has been done already. In fact, if you're reading these first impressions, there are lag issues and pre-scripted movements in these games - hardly anything better than what the Wii has produced so far.

So use your brains, dopes. The marketing and hype is fine, but the technology is still highly unremarkable and unproven. And to be spending as much as their asking you to spend for this... my god people.

noah111

Still Alive
V_Ben said:
this sounds like a good idea!
Oh that's pretty interesting, never even crossed my mind tbh.

But wow at the meltdowns some people are throwing, Sony GDC was all about the wand, we knew this coming in, yet people expected E3 reveals like KZ3 and shit, come on now...

Belfast

Gattsu25 said:
Is it odd that I vastly prefer the look of the Wii Sports games compared to these screens?

Yes. Miis are ugly as sin. These aren't great, but I've never enjoyed the aesthetic of the Wii's core "look."

Cruzader said:
:lol :lol

Ah, I love meltdowns, specially coming from Wii fans....

Guy have you been under a rock for the past few years? I feel like the "Xbox stole PS2 features" BS fanboy shit from way back..."MS stole the HDD idea and online concept". Hey did you cry when you say the buttons "A/B/X/Y" on MS' console too?

Grow some balls people. Yea Sony/MS are trying to take some of Nintendo's audience since last year or so. You seemed shocked at this year's GDC. "OMG a wand! We knew it was coming and wii like but im shocked!"

PS: Dont watch MS conf. at this year's E3 or you'll kill yourself.

Where's the melt-down in his post? Some of you Sony fans are downright defensive today... while Move has origins in the EyeToy, it would be ridiculous to try and tell people that the Move is not shamelessly ripping off the Wii standard and pandering to its audience. Thats all he was saying. Sony aren't trying to hide that at all... their Move/Sub-controller promo photo is practically identical to the Wiimote/Nunchuck promo photo. They WANT people to know they're ripping it off, and they want people to think they're doing it better too.

And please don't deny being a Sony fan. General MS/Nintendo bashing, recalling "Xbox stole PS2 features" posts that (in all probability) no one else on this forum remembers, the Kratos avatar supplementing each and every post of yours that is trying to quell any and all dissent... if he's having meltdowns, you're a Sony shill, an obvious zealous console warrior with a predictable avatar and online persona to match. Is that fair to you? It probably isn't. I don't know you or your post history, I don't care to either -- what I'm trying to say is - don't throw stones from glass houses. Something tells me that if Nintendo or Microsoft were unveiling new hardware with peripheral aesthetics and marketing that ripped off Sony in every way -- you and your ilk would be all over it like a bad rash.

V_Ben

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Holy Shit at this thread.

Wow.

Insecurity and trolls all gathered together make for... interesting... posts.

Time to bail out of here... Since it'd be nice to have an actual discussion on the controller.

If you make the thread, I will post there. I'd love to have a good discussion on this controller.

Top Bottom