• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

Gattsu25 said:
Is it odd that I vastly prefer the look of the Wii Sports games compared to these screens?

No. At least I don't think so. Looking at these screen makes me wonder just what is supposed to be happen and that lack of clarity is not really in tune with the idea of a more intuitive interface.
See also: the long evolution and eventual triumph of Team Fortress 2.

Sipowicz

Banned
TONX said:
I hope this means Dead Space: Extractions will show up on PSN.

suppposedly confirmed by an EA survey

I can guarantee you it will happen though as it's EA. it'll be a much better version too

I still wanna know WTF SamBishop was hyping...

Also, ANYONE that wasn't expecting some kind of minigames collection sort of game was being a fool IMO, I mean Sony had that with EyeToy Play, EyeToy Sports, EyeToy Kinetic, etc... why wouldn't they have one for PS Move? I'm still kind of expecting a Move Kinetic type of game just to have people call it a WiiFit rip off. Likewise ANYONE not expecting some sort of mini games collection for Natal and a Fitness game for Natal is a fool.

That said the best three things out of the conference for me were:

1) GT5 is out this year
2) SOCOM IV gameplay footage, looks good
3) Nancy

XiaNaphryz said:
They're just pissed off that people who were making fun of them making similar statements are all of a sudden making the same kinds of statements now.

But you're correct, bolded should be the main question, especially considering how well peripherals that don't come standard with a system and software supporting them have sold in the past. Only the Wii Balance Board has managed to avoid that curse.
I really just want to see them try. Not a Nintendo fanboy.

gogojira

Gattsu25 said:
Is it odd that I vastly prefer the look of the Wii Sports games compared to these screens?

Not odd at all, I'd say. The titles clearly boast significant graphical improvements, there's just a clear lack of charm.

I'm all for trying out a Move title or two, but I honestly can't see myself buying the controller set required. And damn did Sony ever copy Nintendo with the Wiimote and nunchuk setup -- the picture with the hands holding the Move setup is nearly identical to the years old Nintendo one.

I won't board the hate bandwagon though, I think we all pretty much knew what type of software Sony would focus Move around. Hopefully Microsoft fans won't be too upset when Natal provides the same type of games at E3.

Chittagong

Gold Member
everybodysgolf2_hero.jpg

should have done the games around these characters and art style while they were at it

chubigans said:
Huh, the press release says a dualshock/standard controller can be used in place of that sub controller.

Perfect.

Chittagong said:
everybodysgolf2_hero.jpg

should have done the games around these characters and art style while they were at it

Yep. I was expecting it to be called Hot Shots Sports, and not Champions Sports or whatever the name is...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gogojira said:
Not odd at all, I'd say. The titles clearly boast significant graphical improvements, there's just a clear lack of charm.

Kind of where I'm at. Without getting into control preciseness and gameplay depth, the "Wii" line with the Mii's just is naturally very appealing. This stuff...not so much. I think people underestimate the job Nintendo did with their design of Wii Sports and the rest of the Wii line- it wasn't quite as easy as it looks, as evidenced by the near horrible efforts from most 3rd parties.

noah111

Still Alive
chris0701 said:
dumb move indeed.

Just as we saw in last TGS.
How the is that dumb? Did you not see there's a sub controller as well? Options man, it's what I said weeks ago and i'll say it again; if it serves the same purpose, why the fuck not.

Snipes424

The only thing I didn't like was the sub controller to be sold separately. Now if it's going to be packed in with SOCOM 4 or other hardcore games, than I don't see a problem with that... but segregating the market before there even is a market is not a smart move.

Everything else though looked cool and I can't wait to try out some stuff.

Edit: I would also like to point out that the main reason why the control scheme looks very similar to the wii is probably for the wii audience to easily switch over.

I'm not saying that the wii audience is now going to go out and buy a PS3, but that's who Sony wants with the move. So making the controllers very similar seems like a logical business decision to me.

Cruzader

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Waaaaaay back after the Wii was announced I remember talking about how it was only a matter of time before Sony co-opted the Wiimote interface, and there were a lot of people who treated the idea mockingly. Never underestimate Sony's ability to pooh-pooh Nintendo's innovations then turn around and shameless imitate them.
:lol :lol

Ah, I love meltdowns, specially coming from Wii fans....

Guy have you been under a rock for the past few years? I feel like the "Xbox stole PS2 features" BS fanboy shit from way back..."MS stole the HDD idea and online concept". Hey did you cry when you say the buttons "A/B/X/Y" on MS' console too?

Grow some balls people. Yea Sony/MS are trying to take some of Nintendo's audience since last year or so. You seemed shocked at this year's GDC. "OMG a wand! We knew it was coming and wii like but im shocked!"

PS: Dont watch MS conf. at this year's E3 or you'll kill yourself.

chubigans said:
Huh, the press release says a dualshock/standard controller can be used in place of that sub controller.

Yeah I though this was known for months, The sub controller is there for people that don't want to hold the DS3 in one hand.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
so you're saying that sony and nintendo sent their spies to rip off xavix, the industry-leading plug-in tv game
Have you even SEEN the guitar hero plug-in controller game? It's the future man. The synth in that game is almost to where it was for Michael Jackson's beat it.

EXGN

I'm digging this one up, but could PS Move fighter be that long rumored 'Tears for Blood' game we heard so much about a few years back?

Stike

wind_steaker said:
I fully expect to be able to put my face in EVERYTHING

also what is the magnetic stuff about ????
It is a compass, just like the iPhone has... it is used to tell the software where the device is actually pointing in space. Augmented reality apps on iPhone use it for example. You point the camera somewhere, and the software can tell what you are looking at - and so on.

The thing to me that makes it just soooooo sad is the blatant mimicry. At least Natal is way off in left field.
This just reeks to high heaven of me too-ism, and thats the sore spot.

I don't think this should be about Sony fans or Nintendo fans. To me, it should be about fans of class.
This isn't being done with class, and people tend to avoid things that reek, be it knock off or true stinks.

Corto said:
To all people screaming "LOL SONY FAIL... 0 originality DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM BOMB" Sony stated very clearly on the conference that others pioneered with success the motion controlled interface increasing the public that is aware of video games. They just claim that their approach will be better. Wireless interaction between sub-move and the move controller, more accurate, HD graphics.
Well what are they going to say, "At Sony we're not interested in gimmicks." Oh, wait... Now the cat is out of the bag. There's no reason to be coy because their inspiration is so obvious. And of course they're boosting the true potential of motion controls... now that they blatantly lifted their interface from elsewhere and slapped in some extra bells and whistles. That's not to say the controller will be bad or fail on the market, it's just that Sony is so fucking full of shit in the way they talk about their competitors. There's regular PR spin and there's blatant hypocrisy. I don't think it's hard to see which side Sony came down on regarding motion control from before this generation started until now.

Dead Man Typing said:
I thought they'd copy the broken controller(Edit: by broken I mean the split controller, nunchuck in one hand wii-mote in the other), I love playing games with my hands separated on Wii, but they didn't go all the way.

If I could use the Move/Submove as a controller for normal PS3 games then I think I could get behind this a little more. That chair sliding action game looks cool, if they'd shown that then maybe I'd feel differently. When E3 rolls around, we'll hopefully have a lot more info on supporting titles, but I don't honestly believe that Sony is serious about motion control. Not with this presentation.
I'm sure they'll back it with some serious software. Sony's never been afraid of pouring money into high profile games, even when they're in the red. I'd be surprised if something huge wasn't lying in wait.

This is really deflating. Just picked up a PS3 and was excited for some interesting announcements and we basically got..Wii HD. . And they didn't even get the improved accuracy that we all expected right...the games were still super hokey. Yikes. Obviously it's optional but it just all seems like a waste.

I'm more hopeful for the Natal. If it can truly do what MS says it can, then they win easily in terms of innovation.

Top Bottom