• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Indies, third-party games are Vita's focus moving forward

kuroshiki

Is games like dungeon travelers 2 count as indies to sony?

Then fuck yeah bring more indies please!

But then I have a feeling that is not what sony was talking about

Ponn

Banned
pls tell us

I mean what the person said was harsh, and people naturally hate to talk ill of their favorite systems {go into any Nintendo thread} but it is reality. That is why for me personally the 3DS and Vita have been the most awesome combo for me. Again, as a jrpg lover that is. I'm getting higher profile original IP's from some of my favorite rpg developers on the 3DS. Clearly though if you look through this thread with some perspective and when people list their games they are looking forward to, and take that list into your local walmart or even Gamestop and ask people if they are excited for that list you are going to get laughed the hell right out of the store. And that is why Vita is not burning up the charts. And that is why what Sony is doing is overall bad for the extended life of the Vita. At least with PSP it always had Birth by Sleep, GoW games and those GTA Stories games on the horizon giving it some push and higher profile games.

sörine

Banned
Vita still has a retail presence with Ubisoft, NISA, ATLUS, XSEED, TecmoKoei and other European publishers. I know I buy a lot of their games.
Besides Ubisoft, what other studios have been releasing retail games on Wii U this year? Honest question, since I don't know much about the state of its third party support.
Activision, Ubisoft, Sega, Warner, Disney, Bandai Namco... like I said, Wii U has a strong retail presence for western kids/family fare still.

And I'm not saying Vita and Wii U are equal in terms of 3rd party, I'm saying they're comparable enough though that it's hard to really call one non-existent and the other sustainably viable.

Jawmuncher

As long as Japanese titles are localized I'll be ok. If Sony is giving up they better do work on localizing stuff other publishers don't grab

But you lose the portability which for many people is a net loss.

To note: Portability is key for me. I will buy a portable version of a game so long as the functionality/playability remains across platforms. It's perfect for me. Not saying it's the way to go for anyone else, but it's why I have one, and I make good use of it every single day.

This is mostly cool with me. Stick with games that fit portables better instead of trying to shoehorn console games onto Vita.

I would not mind continued 1st party support for ideas/IP though.

lamotia

I think that what he meant was that there won't be any big first party titles in the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as I can play PS4 games using remote play. Indie games on the other side are my primary focus on the vita. I cannot imagine playing a game like Fez anywhere else. It's a perfect fit for the platform.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Like i said this is on forums ,forums don't represent the real world
Not only in forums :(

Can't disagree hard enough.

Vita is a port and fanservice heaven.

Every current platform is getting indies. If there is an indie heaven, it is so clearly PC that any other suggestion is beyond absurd. The portable high quality third party Japanese games are going almost exclusively to 3DS. That's where Atlus, Level 5, Capcom, Square Enix, etc. are putting their serious efforts. Vita is getting fighting games and I have to admit I'm not close to that community, but my understanding is that Vita is not considered a serious platform for them.

Oreshika and Freedom Wars would be received differently on other platforms, I agree. They would get even less attention because other platforms have higher profile games released on a regular basis.

Vita love is totally cool but some of this stuff is just so divorced from reality.
Clearly PC is unbeatable when it comes to indies, but on consoles? If not the best Vita is one of the best consoles to play indies.

You confuse big names with quality, yes Vita lately is getting lots of fanservice games, but that's not all, you should look more carefully at what is in the work for Vita(and what it already has).

Lol at Oreshika and other games not getting attention on other platforms.

friz898

Not only in forums :(

Clearly PC is unbeatable when it comes to indies, but on consoles? If not the best Vita is one of the best consoles to play indies.

You confuse big names with quality, yes Vita lately is getting lots of fanservice games, but that's not all, you should look more carefully at what is in the work for Vita(and what it already has).

Only thing I would point out is that you say "on consoles?" but if you instead say "on portables?" then tht includes phablets, tablets and phones. They are where indies breed. They're also cheaper. They are there first. They have other uses. I hate phone gaming, but this is why Vita can't rely on indies.

Do you remember when I think it was Yoshida said to Wario64 "But can your iphone play uncharted?"

THAT was the difference between a Vita and a indie machine, excuse me, I meant Phone/Tablet.

Ponn

Banned
Do you remember when I think it was Yoshida said to Wario64 "But can your iphone play uncharted?"

THAT was the difference between a Vita and a indie machine, excuse me, I meant Phone/Tablet.

And they are about to try to eradicate that with PS NOW. Coincendence with this statement and Sony's general attitude with Vita? Methinks not.

offshore

Metro just posted an interview with Jim Ryan. He pretty much confirms Sony probably won't make another big budget Vita game. More ecosystem talk, etc.

Anyhoo, this exchange made me laugh...
GC: Well, I don’t think you’re going to like this question either: are you ever going to make another PS Vita game?

JR: Well, you must not have been paying all that much attention last night because it was stated that over a 100 are in production right now.

GC: 100 in production? Uh huh, so what happened last year then? You must’ve had zero in production then given how many have come out recently. What was the last big Sony first party title for PS Vita?

PR guy: PlayStation Pets.

GC: PlayStation Pets?! [laughs] Oh boy, who could forget that one.

JR: My seven-year-old loves it, please don’t be disrespectful about PlayStation Pets.

Man

Sony exiting the dedicated handheld gaming market.

It's all livingroom, streaming, mobile and VR going forward.

marrec

Banned
Only thing I would point out is that you say "on consoles?" but if you instead say "on portables?" then tht includes phablets, tablets and phones. They are where indies breed. They're also cheaper. They are there first. They have other uses. I hate phone gaming, but this is why Vita can't rely on indies.

Woah woah. There is still a clear demarcation line between the types of games you can play on your Phone and the types you can play on the Vita. Mostly that line is drawn in control options (external controllers are clearly not a hot market) but also in the complexity and diversity of games.

iOS/Android games are 90% IAP driven freemium games that are built around having you press a few buttons and then wait 1 hour while stuff happens. It's a format that work particularly well on phones but isn't great for long form gaming.

Vita games, however, are much more traditional. Luftrausers is a game that would probably translate pretty well to iOS but hasn't been ported there. Why? Vlambeer is a developer that could easily port it... maybe they realize that this type of game would languish on the App Store and wouldn't sell enough to make the port job profitable. In addition, before Luftrausers was even released there was already a hack of a clone available on iOS.

Why would a developer like Vlambeer spend the time to make a 5-20 dollar game on iOS when it will be poorly copied and undercut before it's even released?

You simply cannot compare the mobile phone games market with the robust indie market on Vita. They're two different platforms that encourage two completely different styles of gaming. It's not about Uncharted vs. Angry Birds but more Binding of Isaac vs. Clash of Clans.

friz898

Woah woah. There is still a clear demarcation line between the types of games you can play on your Phone and the types you can play on the Vita. Mostly that line is drawn in control options (external controllers are clearly not a hot market) but also in the complexity and diversity of games.

iOS/Android games are 90% IAP driven freemium games that are built around having you press a few buttons and then wait 1 hour while stuff happens. It's a format that work particularly well on phones but isn't great for long form gaming.

Vita games, however, are much more traditional. Luftrausers is a game that would probably translate pretty well to iOS but hasn't been ported there. Why? Vlambeer is a developer that could easily port it... maybe they realize that this type of game would languish on the App Store and wouldn't sell enough to make the port job profitable. In addition, before Luftrausers was even released there was already a hack of a clone available on iOS.

Why would a developer like Vlambeer spend the time to make a 5-20 dollar game on iOS when it will be poorly copied and undercut before it's even released?

You simply cannot compare the mobile phone games market with the robust indie market on Vita. They're two different platforms that encourage two completely different styles of gaming. It's not about Uncharted vs. Angry Birds but more Binding of Isaac vs. Clash of Clans.

The indies or low-budget games that I'm interested in are found elsewhere. Fieldrunners 2, Joe Danger 1, Joe Danger 2, Pinball Arcade, Castlestorm.

marrec

Banned
The indies or low-budget games that I'm interested in are found elsewhere. Fieldrunners 2, Joe Danger 1, Joe Danger 2, Pinball Arcade, Castlestorm.

That's fine, a lot of people are interested in Phone Games or Indie Games that are ported to the ecosystem.

There's a very specific type of indie game that makes it's way to phones though. You'll never see Guacamelee there, for example, or Spelunky. You'll probably see clones that are less expensive and simply aren't as good, but you'll never see those games.

You can't, in good faith, say that iOS games are comparable to Vita games in every respect. There is an intersection, but they are for the most part very separate.

Again, if you want to play something like Hyper Light Drifter on the go, there is only one system that gives you the ability.

From that article:

JR: It’s double digits, so it does work. It will be a client device for PlayStation Now, and even potentially quite an important one. So in the sense it was initially intended – having huge, portable, exclusively-designed portable games – is that it’s future? Probably not. But does it have a future? Yes.

I'm not interested in a future where the vita is resigned to be nothing more than PS4 accessory. So if that's the case, well then, it was nice while it lasted. Looks like I'll be moving towards a Nintendo portable/PC split in my future.

friz898

That's fine, a lot of people are interested in Phone Games or Indie Games that are ported to the ecosystem.

There's a very specific type of indie game that makes it's way to phones though. You'll never see Guacamelee there, for example, or Spelunky. You'll probably see clones that are less expensive and simply aren't as good, but you'll never see those games.

You can't, in good faith, say that iOS games are comparable to Vita games in every respect. There is an intersection, but they are for the most part very separate.

I dont know man, my most played game on 3DS other than Fire Emblem was Final Fantasy Rhythm game, and then that came to tablets.

Now Dragon Quest 8 IS on tablets and phones, but NOT on my Vita. Do you have any idea how badly I want to play DQ8 portable? It's probably the first thing I would stream, had I bought a Nvidia Shield.

sörine;117250565 said:
Wii U has a good amount of indie software, both already released and a ton still coming. I mean you can't really say with a straight face that Wii U has virtually no 3rd party support and in the next breath claim Vita is being kept sustainably viable by 3rd party support. Especially when it's a lot of the same games (Guacamelee, Hyper Light Drifter, 1001 Spikes, etc).

If Mario Kart is the standard for heavy lifting, then sadly nothing on Vita has any degree of upper body strength.

Agreed with the bolded.
I wasn't aware WiiU had a lot of the same indie games as Vita. How is Spelunky on the WiiU?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

It's awesome how to despise Vita depending on the situation people compares it to 3ds, home consoles, pc, tablets like that Vita should be better than all of those at the same time lol, it's really admirable the effort they put.
Why 3ds, PS4, XB1, tablets, PC and WIIU are not supposed to be better than everything else? It would be funny to see what would happen if the same treatment was applied to all platforms, how a lot worse they ALL would look, but Vita is the only exception.

Anyway returning to your post you should distinguish "PC"(/console) indies and mobile games. Tablets are not the best way to play "PC" indies, where would you play a PC indie, on Vita or on the Iphone? I think we agree there's absolutely no match.
Mobile games are another thing, but even those could be played on Vita the same way or even better with controls.

marrec

Banned
I dont know man, my most played game on 3DS other than Fire Emblem was Final Fantasy Rhythm game, and then that came to tablets.

Now Dragon Quest 8 IS on tablets and phones, but NOT on my Vita. Do you have any idea how badly I want to play DQ8 portable? It's probably the first thing I would stream, had I bought a Nvidia Shield.

To be fair, DQ8 isn't on 3DS either. (Beside the point though)

The reason you see Square-Enix having a focus on phones is because the games translate well and they have name recognition to be able to rise above the rest of the crap there.

In response I'll say that I can play FFX-X2 on my Vita but NOT on my phone. It's a different type of ecosystem that encourages different types of games. I have both and play on both... there's no way I could get rid of one and expect the other to fill the vacuum left behind.

That is, of course, because I love the type of games being developed and port to the Vita right now. It's not like the system is relegated to just getting 20 dollar indie games either. Minecraft is coming soon, it just got BL2, and there's japanese imports for miles.

But the idea that you could replace the Vita with a phone and expect the same gaming experience is ludicrous.

friz898

It's awesome how to despise Vita depending on the situation people compares it to 3ds, home consoles, pc, tablets like that Vita should be better than all of those at the same time lol, it's really admirable the effort they put.
Why 3ds, PS4, XB1, tablets, PC and WIIU are not supposed to be better than everything else? It would be funny to see what would happen if the same treatment was applied to all platforms, how a lot worse they ALL would look, but Vita is the only exception.

Anyway returning to your post you should distinguish "PC"(/console) indies and mobile games. Tablets are not the best way to play "PC" indies, where would you play a PC indie, on Vita or on the Iphone? I think we agree there's absolutely no match.
Mobile games are another thing, but even those could be played on Vita the same way or even better with controls.

Vita is better, but without exclusives or killer-appeal experiences that are seen in Best Buy, Walmart, and Gamestop when most people go shopping, they won't stand a chance. They arent going to look at a Vita and think "man! I bet that game is SO MUCH better on Vita than on my Iphone I already have! Physical controls? HELL YES! Now I've only got to pay 200-300 to get this experience!"

Maybe you should inform yourself a bit better about Vita's library (and 3DS's too) because this is probably the most "divorced from reality" post of the entire thread.
I said some specific things so perhaps you have some specific counterexamples?

I feel pretty confident in giving PS360 the nod as hands down the best consoles for indies. They have basically everything the Vita does plus more. Vita sits at a pretty third, which would make it the best handheld for indies. So there's that.

There's really only a "nuh-uh, uh-huh" argument to be had for the rest of this. If the Atelier and Disgaea games Vita is getting were original titles, there would be a good argument for quality vs high profile in RPGs. But they're all ports. We're left with the likes of Ys, Demon Gaze, and Monster Monpiece (in steeply descending order) to combat with the likes of SMTIV, Fantasy Life, and Bravely Default (in imagined descending order) for RPGs.

Vita definitely gets the nod for rhythm. VN's seem pretty split. Vita has more monster hunting games, and I think this is where the biggest argument would occur for high-profile vs. quality in Monster Hunters vs. Monster Hunter "killers"

I'm not saying the Vita is shit because it clearly isn't, I'm just saying it is hardly a "heaven" for anything original or exclusive that doesn't heavily involve rhythm or anime boobs (or a combination thereof).
And even there, it isn't like the other consoles don't have their share of these things; Vita mostly just has the weirder stuff.

SmokyDave

Agreed with the bolded.
I wasn't aware WiiU had a lot of the same indie games as Vita. How is Spelunky on the WiiU?

It's every bit as good as the Wii U versions of Hotline Miami, TxK, OlliOlli, FEZ, Limbo, Luftrausers, Lone Survivor, Stealth Inc, Thomas Was Alone, Terraria, Velocity Ultra....

(There really isn't much of an overlap at all as far as I've seen).

marrec

Banned
Vita is better, but without exclusives or killer-appeal experiences that are seen in Best Buy, Walmart, and Gamestop when most people go shopping, they won't stand a chance. They arent going to look at a Vita and think "man! I bet that game is SO MUCH better on Vita than on my Iphone I already have! Physical controls? HELL YES! Now I've only got to pay 200-300 to get this experience!"

What games on the Vita are also on the iPhone?

SmokyDave

What games on the Vita are also on the iPhone?

The Walking Dead, Machinarium, Farming Simulator, Jet Set Radio, Limbo, Angry Birds, Age of Zombies, maybe Pinball Arcade, Terraria and the LEGO games?

There might be others, I'm going off the top of my head.

Usobuko

Banned
You can't resume a platform library to fanservice and indies just because it gets Senran Kagura, Neptunia and a few other fanservice games, and because indies find success in it.

Fan service is akin to the kiddish label/stigma plagued on Nintendo games. The negative connotation is there but I generally don't mind aesthetics or fan service as long as the game is well designed.

marrec

Banned
Give me a second, I'll brew you up a list.

While you're looking I will as well.

I don't want to make this list wars, BTW, I'm genuinely curious as to what games overlap.

So far I've found:

Limbo
Frozen Synapse (soon to be on Vita)
Plants vs. Zombies
Rymdkapsel (PS Mobile)
Walking Dead games
Wolf Among Us (Soon to be on Vita)

There's likely more.

The Walking Dead, Machinarium, Farming Simulator, Jet Set Radio, Limbo, Angry Birds, Age of Zombies, maybe Pinball Arcade, Terraria and the LEGO games?

There might be others, I'm going off the top of my head.

Oh, forgot about Terraria.

The LEGO games aren't on iOS are they?

Of course, iOS has plenty of amazing games that haven't made their way to Vita yet. Which is the point right? I have games on Vita that I can't play on iOS (lots of them, in fact) and games on iOS that I can't play on Vita (lots of them, in fact) and both platforms have lots of games ported from PC.

People don't complain when Shadowrun Returns gets ported to iOS though. Just when Hotline Miami gets ported to Vita.

It's every bit as good as the Wii U versions of Hotline Miami, TxK, OlliOlli, FEZ, Limbo, Luftrausers, Lone Survivor, Stealth Inc, Thomas Was Alone, Terraria, Velocity Ultra....

(There really isn't much of an overlap at all as far as I've seen).

Hotline Miami is on either the Wii U or 3DS or both. (was thinking of something else) Guacamelee is incoming soon.

But yeah, Wii U is behind on indies but not exactly a slouch.

friz898

While you're looking I will as well.

I don't want to make this list wars, BTW, I'm genuinely curious as to what games overlap.

So far I've found:

Limbo
Frozen Synapse (soon to be on Vita)
Plants vs. Zombies
Rymdkapsel (PS Mobile)
Walking Dead games
Wolf Among Us (Soon to be on Vita)

There's likely more.

Oh, forgot about Terraria.

The LEGO games aren't on iOS are they?

Of course, iOS has plenty of amazing games that haven't made their way to Vita yet. Which is the point right? I have games on Vita that I can't play on iOS (lots of them, in fact) and games on iOS that I can't play on Vita (lots of them, in fact) and both platforms have lots of games ported from PC.

People don't complain when Shadowrun Returns gets ported to iOS though. Just when Hotline Miami gets ported to Vita.

Man, I havent finished 2012, and I already have 20 something games. I don't care enough to do all of 2013/2014.

All lego games, Jetpack Joyride, Sine Mora, Dokuro, Jet Set Radio, Orgarhythm, Sumoino, Pinball Arcade, Pure Chess, Puddle, Fifa 13 and Fifa 12, there is a version of DJ Technika, Michael Jackson experience, Plants vs zombies, F1 2011, Dungeon Hunter Alliance...

Metro just posted an interview with Jim Ryan. He pretty much confirms Sony probably won't make another big budget Vita game. More ecosystem talk, etc.

Anyhoo, this exchange made me laugh...

GC: From a consumer’s point of view it’s completely random. I mean look at Ubisoft today, Assassin’s Creed Unity has an exclusivity deal on DLC with Microsoft, Far Cry 4 has an exclusivity deal with you over it’s co-op options. What did gamers do to deserve those games from the same publisher being treated completely differently on the two big consoles?

JR: This is about providing additional stuff that is going to make the PlayStation consumer happy. But basically this is how markets operate, on the basis of competition and differentiation.

GC: But if a game is an exclusive then okay, that’s clear cut and obvious. But all these minor deals, where one version of a game is slightly better on one format or another… it’s just irritating and confusing to the customer. If a game is exclusive at least you get the benefit of the developer taking full advantage of the console, with these smaller deals it’s just a straight marketing exercise with zero benefit to the customer.

JR: I think you do the majority of gamers a disservice, in terms of assuming whether they know about which deals are where. And what about the point about early access? That’s a different form of differentiation.

GC: Yes, that’s more reasonable, because the other side isn’t losing out on anything in the final game. But, for example, this Far Cry 4 deal with not needing to own the game to play co-op. Why should Xbox One owners miss out on that just because you happened to do a deal with Ubisoft over that and not Assassin’s Creed? You might buy a console to get an exclusive game but you’re not going to over one of these smaller deals, especially as both of you have an equal number of them across all the various publishers.

JR: …

This exchange is incredible.

Also, I feel that interview probably deserves its own thread. He pretty much doubles down on what Shu said...no room for interpretation either.

Sony have basically abandoned the Vita...

"Hey we fucking made Killzone and nobody bought it. It was amaze-balls, what gives? So yeah, indies and remote play going forward, k? And maybe some more of those moe games those weirdos are buying."

Nailed it.

Also I loved KZ:M & buy all dem moe games, so it seems I'm the bottom-crust demographic... Feels pretty good.
giphy.gif

marrec

Banned
Man, I havent finished 2012, and I already have 20 something games. I don't care enough to do all of 2013/2014.

All lego games, Jetpack Joyride, Sine Mora, Dokuro, Jet Set Radio, Orgarhythm, Sumoino, Pinball Arcade, Pure Chess, Puddle, Fifa 13 and Fifa 12, there is a version of DJ Technika, Michael Jackson experience, Plants vs zombies, F1 2011, Dungeon Hunter Alliance...

You're missing the point.

Nobody is going to look at the Vita and say 'I can play Dungeon Hunter better on Vita!'

They're going to look at it and say 'I can play games on the Vita that I can't on iOS or 3DS!'

Those that are available on all the mobile platforms... IMO they play better on Vita. That's subjective though and neither here nor there... you're pushing this point of parity between the two systems that simply doesn't exist.

Top Bottom