• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Indies, third-party games are Vita's focus moving forward

As long as they keep putting out the JRPGs I bought my vita for, I'm fine with that. It's already incredible niche, putting another Killzone, Uncharted or other first party titles probably isn't going to save it anyway

When I bought my Vita at launch I was foolishly expecting... Hoping that it would get releases on par with what the PSP got from third parties and Sony and top it off the "killer app" for me and why I got one at launch ended up being mediocre (Gravity Rush) when it released a few months later so much so that two years later and I've still not finished it. But alas that hasn't really happened, all the indie shit that could be had elsewhere and for less kind of makes me almost wish would've had enough sense to wait a few months like I learned a long time ago to do and maybe took the $500+ or whatever I spent on a 3G Vita (my first mistake seeing as 3G is still non-existent where I live and I haven't used it since the terms for the "free" copy of SSD were fulfilled), slow, over priced proprietary 32GB memory card and four games I bought at launch and put it towards a quality tablet after seeing how the Vita was doing and Sony's handling of it in North America.

I guess still on the bright side there's still PSP games I never got to play and there's still buttons and shit.

Sony pretty much treated the Vita the same (actually worse) as they did the PSP with quickly shifting their focus to their next platform, after saying they wouldn't.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sony pretty much treated the Vita the same (actually worse) as they did the PSP with quickly shifting their focus to their next platform, after saying they wouldn't.

Hey at least PSP got one last marketing push with that Marcus kid a few years back. Did Vita even get a tv ad for when they had a price drop?

I love my vita and play it almost everyday so it is a bit gutting that things have gone the way they have, would be interesting to see what would have happened had it got a mainline Monster Hunter title instead of the 3DS.

Sure that maybe would only have fixed things in Japan but we probably would have got more 1st party support from Sony then.

Looking forward to the Ratchet and Clank trilogy anyway...

As for Tearaway, as I've said before, it's a beautiful game, but very poorly designed. Only the last hour or so is any good, when the platforming is truly refined.

[...]

I'm sorry, this is a pretty game, but not a good one, and I can understand why it didn't sell well.

[...]

Again, the problem with that game is that they saved the best gameplay ideas and stage designs for the final hour of the game. The rest of the game, in my opinion at least, is just not very good.

I don't agree at all. Everything in that game started out pleasing and it built up to be even better and more ambitious, culminating in something that would move and amaze someone in the end. If the game had just dumped you into what was essentially psychedelic gyroscope, abstractions of an unraveling paper world, and obligatory nerve wracking pitfalls without any of the calmer adventuring and fun play mechanics that prefaced it, it would just be another level-by-level platformer, where the intent isn't to adventure, marvel or find resolution, but to just have obstacle placement and repetition that escalates difficulty in a formulaic way.

It's like saying that only Meat Circus was good in Psychonauts, because that's when it began focusing on "real" platforming. You're thinking of the game in "level 1-1" terms. It's as much an adventure game as it is a platformer. The reason the latter 1/3rd of the game feels so fresh, tense and out-there is because the previous reality, a more placid and recognizable world, has been warped in the process of what you've been doing and experiencing. It creates context, that creates purpose and is definitely not boring, uninspired or completely devoid of innovative platformer gameplay and interaction prior to that. Both portions compliment and facilitate each other.

Besides... if nobody bought it to play it and find out that it's "not very good", being "not very good" wouldn't have been what dissuaded them from buying it in the first place, since they would have had to play the game in order to come to that conclusion. It was just a general apathy towards it, on top of the terrible release schedule timing and marketing job that sent it to die.

Kings fan

As long as they keep putting out the JRPGs I bought my vita for, I'm fine with that. It's already incredible niche, putting another Killzone, Uncharted or other first party titles probably isn't going to save it anyway

What Vita JRPGs are you excited to play that are releasing in the near future if at all?

OE6onBj.png

Something related from the PSN Blog comments I saved from May 6th.

A handheld whose future is limited to sitting at home playing games most of us played years ago and paying for that privilege when we could just hook up our PS3s and play them for free?

Jesus Christ.

I would be looking forward to PS Now (but not as a replacement for games) if I could just pay a monthly subscription fee like netflix, and nothing else. I really don't want or need PS+ until I have a PS4.

Nikodemos

Again, the problem with that game is that they saved the best gameplay ideas and stage designs for the final hour of the game. The rest of the game, in my opinion at least, is just not very good.
Haven't played it, but from what your write of it sounds like they designed the game as a typical "4thekidz" hand-holdy experience where they slowly reveal gameplay elements one by one rather than use them from the beginning. Which is a conceptual problem because the majority of Vita's userbase isn't composed of children. Children don't own Vitas because they don't have any money, their parents do and they don't buy their kids a ~$300 handheld(+memcard). Most of them don't buy any handhelds at all, they just give their children the last gen tablet as a hand-me-down when they upgrade.

That said, Sony paring down first-party support to barest minimum isn't really surprising, though part of the blame for their duds rests with them. Some of their launches were radio silent and fell during mega-hype periods for other products. And their general disinterest towards the platform after the launch window was disappointing.

I just hope that they finally start doing some proper price cuts on the thing. Since they're not putting their own money directly into it anymore they should be moving towards late adopters. Slash memcard prices in half, bring the 64 GB to the West, delete the 4 and 8 versions, drop another ~$20 off the system itself. High memory card prices were a concession towards retailers from a Sony terrified by the idea of Vita getting deathmarked like the Go, but since brick-and-mortar retail Vita presence is nonexistent anyway, they aren't going to lose retailer support that isn't there in the first place.

small44

People aren't buying Sony handhelds, though. At least not in large enough numbers for Sony to justify continued first party support.

As for Tearaway, as I've said before, it's a beautiful game, but very poorly designed. Only the last hour or so is any good, when the platforming is truly refined.

When you look how PSP library had a lot more big games then Vita you know why Vita isn't doing well

mack_a_tsar

Neo Member
Many japanese 3rd party games still coming to Vita, and that makes the purchase worth it for me. Besides, fewer first party games /= no first party games.

mo60

I really don't like the direction sony is going with the vita, but I can see why they are doing it. I wish they could persuade me to get one eventually, but don't think I will ever be interested in the Vita.

small44

The simplest thing to do is to release 3rd party multiplatform games on Vita too since it's easy to port ps3 games to Vita seriously Wii U is getting yearly COD gamesnd Vita not.
Aren't Wii U 3rd party games doing a lot worse then Vita?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The simplest thing to do is to release 3rd party multiplatform games on Vita too since it's easy to port ps3 games to Vita seriously Wii U is getting yearly COD gamesnd Vita not.
Aren't Wii U 3rd party games doing a lot worse then Vita?

Except the bolded isn't true. It's not easy to port full fledged PS3 games over.

DiscoJer

Sony should at least flip the switch and let all PSP games work on it.

It's such BS that I can't use 30% or so of my PSP library on it, games that would be so much better with the 2nd stick.

Never enjoyed their first party offerings, aside from JapanStudio and MM. With indie titles, I hope the can get them running at native res & 60fps to maximize the portable system's real estate.

OuterLimits

I am looking to get a Vita since I heard the redesign is pretty good. Love my PSP and figure it is finally time to upgrade. When I check Amazon though, only third party sellers have it available and it is currently $240 or higher.

I did just check Best Buy online and it seems only one out of 10 stores in my area has it available. Wal-Mart doesn't have it either and even Gamestop says unavailable.

Seems strange that the redesign just came out a month ago but it's difficult to find. Is Sony not even bothering to quickly send them to stores, or are stores not wanting to carry it?

I realize the bundle was a limited edition. But do they not offer the newer Vita without the bundle?

Nanashrew

Banned
I am very disappointed in this news. I saw this coming miles away but still disappointed.

Something I would like to bring up though that I don't think I saw anyone discuss was Sony finally getting it. Yoshida finally acknowledged that home consoles and handhelds are played for different reasons. Home consoles are for the big AAA experience while handhelds are the pick up and play experience. It's disappointing that we probably won't get anymore games from Sony though because they can work within that and release smaller budget titles like Tearaway was.

It was a terrible idea to market the Vita as the home console in your pocket and make these big statements on AAA games alongside that big price point. That, I feel, largely kept the market away because it didn't offer them anything they couldn't get on consoles to begin with. This is similar to previous handheld mistakes from past companies trying to offer a console experience.

I will say that the indie boom was great for them and happy to see so many indies sell well and that there is still a future for them there. I believe they are the future of the medium.

This year will bring Minecraft, Hotline Miami 2, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Then, I don't know, there's always Remote Play and whatever indies make it through. Is Starbound coming eventually?

i'm more down with 3rd party for my vita. i really just want it to be my indie game portable device.

i mean, binding of isaac rebirth is good enough to make it worth my buying it.

KHlover

Banned
So Sony has now officially given up the Vita. Glad I bought it used, would feel terrible now if I actually gave Sony money for the shit they pulled off with this handheld.

Will buy Gravity Rush 2, after that my Vita will be a pr0n streaming PS4 controller.

As much as I love my Vita, it has come to the end of it's useful life. Sony have made the correct decision by ending their internal support for it. They need to concentrate resources where they can be successful, handheld gaming is not one of those areas. Even Nintendo are struggling with it and they have premier handheld games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing to carry their product. None of Sony's major franchises translate well to handheld gaming and spending money on creating new titles like Tearaway which is proper handheld experience only for them to sell less than 150k globally is not a sustainable prospect.

In order to fully take advantage of their new direction, they do need to cut the price and reduce the overall size of the unit. A $99-129 Vita-lite with the same internal hardware but smaller and cheaper LCD screen, made of cheap plastic is where they need to aim now. People aren't going to spend $199 on an indie game/remote play machine, but they probably would spend $99-129 even if the quality is lower. Also, MicroSD.

kevm3

Upon release, I thought Vita was going to have outstanding success due to it's power and reasonable price... but I suppose cell phones with the ability to game and people not really caring for console experiences on handheld did it in.

yurinka

Been a port-machine almost since the day it launched. A shame because it could have had some really interesting games with the touchscreen and graphical power.
Their first party studios never gave a shit about the console.
I suggest you to check the store, they have great 1st party games like Killzone Mercenary, Little Big Planet, Wipeout 2048 and Motorstorm RC, most of them make a good use of graphical power / touchscreen.

Celine

That is what happened with the PSP though.

Sony gave up on it and focused on fixing the disaster that was the PS3 while the PSP sort of found success on its own via third parties.
lol
Vita is nowhere close to what PSP was doing the same timeframe.

I loved my PSP and it had very little first party support.

If Vita continues to have (and on a bigger scale):

- Great cross platform games
- Great ports/remakes/rebuilds (think FFX HD, MGS HD, etc)
- Great indie support
- Improved PSP B/C (launch more games on PSN Store)
- Hopefully a good CFW
- Games like Persona (still have to buy P4)

I think it's great!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
What Vita JRPGs are you excited to play that are releasing in the near future if at all?

Just the first localized "pure" jrpgs that come in mind:
Oreshika
Tales of Hearts R
Atelier Rorona +
Sword Art Online

and others(there are SRPG and DRPG too if you like them, for example Natural Doctrine, Disgaea 4)

there are many "pure" jrpgs not yet finished or localized like:
Phantasy Star nova
Digimon
Makai Shin Trillion
3 Neptunia games
Atelier Ayesha +
Chronos Materia

and others(there are SRPG and DRPG too if you like them, for example Lost dimension, Stranger of the village of the sword, Criminal Girls, )

People can say anything about Vita, but Vita is one of the best, if not the best, current gen console for JRPGs.

I loved my PSP and it had very little first party support.

If Vita continues to have (and on a bigger scale):

- Great cross platform games
- Great ports/remakes/rebuilds (think FFX HD, MGS HD, etc)
- Great indie support
- Improved PSP B/C (launch more games on PSN Store)
- Hopefully a good CFW
- Games like Persona (still have to buy P4)

I think it's great!

I have to strongly disagree that the PSP had very little first party support.

Zephyx

Just the first localized "pure" jrpgs that come in mind:
Oreshika
Tales of Hearts R
Atelier Rorona +
Sword Art Online

and others(there are SRPG and DRPG too if you like them, for example Natural Doctrine, Disgaea 4)

there are many "pure" jrpgs not yet finished or localized like:
Phantasy Star nova
Digimon
Makai Shin Trillion
3 Neptunia games
Atelier Ayesha +
Chronos Materia

and others(there are SRPG and DRPG too if you like them, for example Lost dimension, Stranger of the village of the sword, Criminal Girls, )

People can say anything about Vita, but Vita is one of the best, if not the best, current gen console for JRPGs.

Agreed. If we somehow receive news about a localization of Sen no Kiseki, I can forget everything Shu said.

Regarding Shu's statement though.. it's the inevitable as they say. However, if they are not willing to develop games, they should at least allocate a portion of their budget on localizing Japanese content so the third party content doesn't go stale over time.

Top Bottom