• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Building a Hostage Crisis!!!!! (List of Games to Kickstarter)

Drek

Yeah, with the successor of the market leader.

So Wii U is the new market leader now? What?

Gamers fled en masse from SNES/Gensis to PS1 when it had the games. GAmers fled en masse from Playstation 2 to Xbox 360 when it had the games. Many then jumped BACK to PS3 when Sony had the games.

Positive word of mouth among the most avid of gamers is worth a lot in this industry. Sony and MS have together made a perfect demonstration of that this generation where Sony's early efforts where entirely focused on that audience while MS was chasing blue oceans with Kinect, DRM, and multimedia convergence. MS has done everything in their power to bounce back and have had huge price cuts and bundles but still aren't making up substantial ground.

Word of mouth/social media reception are more powerful now than they ever have been and gaming has always been uniquely prone to it's forces. Sony's team recognize this and play to it well. This is why we saw the E3 conference that they had. TLG, FFVIIR, Shenmue III. A core gamer's fantasy done prior to what will likely be the weakest holiday they're having all generation. A holiday buoyed by a ton of major 3rd party releases.

Sony is playing the market with flawless precision and Shenmue is part of that strategy, not some devious plot to bait loyal fans into paying for their games. They will likely lose money on the Shenmue III project in real dollars, but it has already paid for itself with the perception and word of mouth boost this E3 will give them for the rest of the year.

They don't need one for the holidays, because the holidays are run by multiplatform games and they have

Call of Duty
Battlefront
And
Destiny

Exclusives get buried during the holidays
And honestly, I don't see halo selling more than Battlefront, call of duty or Fallout on Xbox one.

I agree completely, but new exclusives are a major part of perception year-round. That is true even when 3rd parties hare releasing all their major titles. Informed gamers talk with less informed gamers and exclusives are a major topic of conversation. My point is that Sony took a perceptual weakness, no major AAA exclusive this holiday, and removed it from the avid gamer's field of view by rolling out the biggest E3 conference in recent history. By the time the E3 glow has subsided we'll be waist deep in the flood of AAA 3rd party titles with more to come and Uncharted will be just a few short months away.

What Bloodborne level exclusive did they have this spring?
What Uncharted level exclusive do they have next spring?

This is my point. Sony fills the calendar year with exclusives so as long as they manage perception in the holiday window they get positive sales bumps throughout the rest of the year with big titles dropping in big calendar holes. How they manage the perception for the holidays is their big challenge and the TLG/FFVIIR/Shenmue III trifecta is the ultimate "win" move for that.

Which works out great for them as this is likely their worst holiday window for the rest of the generation. Horizon and GT7 will likely be holiday 2016 titles, Santa Monica and Sucker Punch could be on track for 2017, etc.. Their internal studios are getting their legs under them after this fall. Meanwhile MS is emptying both barrels with Halo 5, Gears collection, paying for Tomb Raider exclusivity, etc. into a holiday season already flooded with 3rd party titles.

Basically, MS is trying to win Christmas 2015 to remain relevant, Sony has lined everything up so that if MS doesn't they aren't getting off the mat the rest of the generation. This E3 was a huge PR win for Sony to that end and dramatically weakens MS' hand going into this Holiday. Now they'll sit back and let MS roll a huge media budget for Halo 5 against equally massive budgets for CoD, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, etc. while Sony feeds Horizon, Uncharted 4, TLG, FFVIIR, etc. media to the press in healthy doses.

KoopaTheCasual

If Sony wants to create a list of games they want the public to pitch some money into while funding the rest, why doesn't Sony just create their own framework/service separate from Kickstarter? That way Kickstarter doesn't take up 10% of the funds that could have gone into developing the game itself.
I feel like a broken record in this thread saying this (not your fault for not seeing my post), but Square Enix already pretty much does this exactly for new and dormant IPs. I'm down for this.

Compbros

Dragoon is the only thing that will get triple digit backing from me though there's several games I'd like to see including Legaia 3, Zone of the Enders 3, and Bloody Roar 5.

hack2.jpg

My wife would FLIP.

Your being taken advantage of. Now most people here don't really care, and probably consider the game their getting worth it. (which is thier right) But the money your providing in a kick-starter is worth way, way more than what the average backer receives. There's a reason why there's this thing called a stock market.

Sony could just as easily discover which IP's have fan support for a revival by doing polls etc and then they could fund the most popular.

Instead they're taking your money upfront, which has a metric ton of advantages as a publisher and even use the IP as hostage to push the funding.

Many people obviously don't care or understand many things about money and business. Doesn't change that your buying a £5 sandwich for £50-£100 because what most people don't understand is money has a time value and that is very important.
This time value of money quip is complete bullshit. Did you bother to do a quick NPV analysis on paying $29 now for a game that will MSRP at $60 in two or three years? Even if you put that $29 on the market and got an amazing 10% gain for three years on that money, it would only be worth $38.60 at that time. In today's money accounting for a 2% inflation rate that's only a net present value (at 2%) gain of $7.83. So you're telling people that the potential $7.83 gain they could get in current money terms is worth more than the $21.40 savings they get by investing that money in a half-price game? What a fucking joke.

Melchiah

What Halo 5 level exclusive does Sony have for Holiday 2015? Console warriors are a small minority of the core gamer demographic, hence why the lead console changes so readily from generation to generation. Core gamers chase good hardware and good exclusives, and those core gamers frequently set the tone for the mainstream gamer.

Sony executed fantastic damage control from having: Santa Monica's new IP flop, Uncharted 4 slide into 2016, The Order being lackluster, and none of their other studios having a big title slated for late 2015. Their E3 show was fantastic marketing and their interest in Shenmue III is to that end.

Not as a publisher, as you originally stated, since they aren't publishing anything related to Shenmue.

What Bloodborne level exclusive did Microsoft have for the pre-holiday months? Ori and the Blind Forest? It's astonighing how the marketing manages to make all the preceding months seem irrelevant in some eyes.

As for the rest of the year, there's a wide variety of bigger and smaller titles coming to the PS4, like No Man's Sky, Tales of Zestiria, Dragon Quest Heroes, Firewatch, SOMA, Until Dawn, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Most of them new IPs, instead of sequels.

chalex010

Banned
People keep posting "SLIPPERY SLOPE!" (and to a point it's understandable), but this could be a great opportunity for both developers and publishers who have IP of value that they couldn't make a return on to justify development and to indies who have talent but can't find substantial financing or want to build a larger profile.

If Sony were to lease out properties they can't or won't work on (MediEvil, Wipeout, Omega Boost, Jet Moto, Ape Escape, Mark of Kri, Heavenly Sword, Twisted Metal, Socom, etc.) with no licensing cost to the dev in return for publishing rights and retention of the IP they could potentially relaunch a number of dormant properties with little to no risk to themselves while building a relationship with burgeoning talent.

chalex010

Banned
What Halo 5 level exclusive does Sony have for Holiday 2015? Console warriors are a small minority of the core gamer demographic, hence why the lead console changes so readily from generation to generation. Core gamers chase good hardware and good exclusives, and those core gamers frequently set the tone for the mainstream gamer.

Sony executed fantastic damage control from having: Santa Monica's new IP flop, Uncharted 4 slide into 2016, The Order being lackluster, and none of their other studios having a big title slated for late 2015. Their E3 show was fantastic marketing and their interest in Shenmue III is to that end.

Not as a publisher, as you originally stated, since they aren't publishing anything related to Shenmue.
I feel like it bears repeating, exclusives aren't as important as they once were. This is especially true for a series which has been on a downward trend, lacks the praise it once had, and is in a crowded genre. Bloodborne was a big deal because there weren't any new games coming out like it six months before or after it's release. There is a new FPS every month.

If I were ranking games I'd want to buy from September to December the list would probably be:

1. Fallout 4
  2. Star Wars Battlefront
  3. Rainbow Six: Siege
  4. Just Cause 3 *or* Mad Max
  5. Blackops 3

Halo wouldn't even crack the top 5 games I want in a season where I *MIGHT* buy 3 games.

jayu26

I feel like it bears repeating, exclusives aren't as important as they once were. This is especially true for a series which has been on a downward trend, lacks the praise it once had, and is in a crowded genre. Bloodborne was a big deal because there weren't any new games coming out like it six months before or after it's release. There is a new FPS every month.

If I were ranking games I'd want to buy from September to December the list would probably be:

1. Fallout 4
  2. Star Wars Battlefront
  5. Blackops 3

Halo wouldn't even crack the top 5 games I want in a season where I *MIGHT* buy 3 games.

The correct answer to Just Cause 2 or Mad Max is both.

Yeah I have been thinking about this for some time. All those $60 games are just going to cannibalize each other's sales.

Gio Corsio has undoubtedly done great things behind the scenes already for us, the gamers ... now if only he could resurrect the Destruction Derby IP somehow ...

1. Fallout 4
  2. Star Wars Battlefront
  5. Blackops 3

What!? ... No MGS V love!?

junpei

please don't ruin this kick starter skeptics

Zone of the enders 3
megaman legends 3
Rival Schools
Power stone
Valkyria chronicles 4 on consoles

Megaman legends 3 needs to happen sony

Honestly I want to start a kickstarter to tell Sony to stop showing off multiplatform games at E3 because of exclusive DLC.

No but seriously can we get Siphon Filter back? That game was the tits.

Melchiah

1. Fallout 4
  2. Star Wars Battlefront
  5. Blackops 3

Yeah, it baffles me when people say the rest of the year is barren, when I'm looking at all the incoming games, TrackMania Turbo included. I guess the inconvenient details, like 3rd party games (or digital releases, or remasters, unless it's MCC of course) just tend to disappear, when you're trying to drive home a point.

Silent Hills oh lord please give GdT his chance to visit the lore, please oh please oh please oh please I'll buy fiveplease please kickstart it, Shenmue 3 was nothing compared to a PT follow up

Jet Set Radio 3 would be great too.
REmake 2
MORE KATAMARI PLEASE

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
.hack Please! It's all I really want after everything announced this E3 (and/or leaked). HD remakes, sequels, porting Versus and Link, I want anything and everything!

It used to be the job of a publisher to take risks on IP
That's the problem. Publishers are scared to take risks on new IP or genres they perceive as niche, which led to games we want just not getting made. If a publisher or platform holder does a Kickstarter as a way to offset some of that risk that's fine with me if it means I get the games I want. Hell I don't even have to contribute to the Kickstarters, I can let other people do it for me and reap the rewards. It's literally a win-win situation any way you look at it.

I don't have an issue with having fans derisk game development or testing to ensure the market is there. But why pay Kickstarter? That is dead weight loss from a development perspective. If Sony is ultimately footing the bill there has to be a better solution than Kickstarter getting several hundred thousand dollars (as they will on shenmue 3).

I don't have an issue with having fans derisk game development or testing to ensure the market is there. But why pay Kickstarter? That is dead weight loss from a development perspective. If Sony is ultimately footing the bill there has to be a better solution than Kickstarter getting several hundred thousand dollars (as they will on shenmue 3).
Convenience, otherwise Sony or Sega or someone else would have had to set up all that infrastructure.

You really have no clue how much games cost to fund, do you?

And neither do you if you think a game can like Shenmue can be made with $2 million. By not disclosing how much external funding there is, the developer is asking for you to throw money into a black pit that may net you a Shenmue game at the end. I wouldn't have this specific issue with it if they gave an estimated budget for the game. But as it stands, they haven't proven that

I am voicing my skepticism towards the project. This talk of if you don't like it don't buy it and shut up about it is completely ridiculous to me. Should game reviews not exist then? Should we just never criticize anything because if a developer blesses you with the privilege of buying their games, they can then do no wrong?

If the situation was transparent I would not have as many qualms with it that I do. But as it stands, hypothetically a kickstarter can make an amazing game and hypothetically a kickstarter can make a shit game. So as it stands, everyone is talking in hypotheticals. But clearly since kickstarted (or even games created or backed by large developers) can never change between initial conception and the delivered product, nobody is allowed to voice criticism towards the implications that arise when a developer uses kickstarter either without providing what the ambition of the project is and how realistically it can be achieved or without disclosing other avenues that are available to them for funding the project.

Criticizing or supporting a kickstarter doesn't mean that either party is inherently stupid or trolling. Me criticizing Sony (and Sega as well) for not disclosing how much support they are giving a game that they are asking consumers to fund is not me being some sort of concern troll. You can fund the project all you like and I can criticize the project all I like. There should be none of this fund it or shut up crap that is going on.

Game4life

Banned

Probably does not need one considering Bloodborne will probably be twice the game Halo is anyways.

And neither do you if you think a game can like Shenmue can be made with $2 million. By not disclosing how much external funding there is, the developer is asking for you to throw money into a black pit that may net you a Shenmue game at the end. I wouldn't have this specific issue with it if they gave an estimated budget for the game. But as it stands, they haven't proven that

I am voicing my skepticism towards the project. This talk of if you don't like it don't buy it and shut up about it is completely ridiculous to me. Should game reviews not exist then? Should we just never criticize anything because if a developer blesses you with the privilege of buying their games, they can then do no wrong?

If the situation was transparent I would not have as many qualms with it that I do. But as it stands, hypothetically a kickstarter can make an amazing game and hypothetically a kickstarter can make a shit game. So as it stands, everyone is talking in hypotheticals. But clearly since kickstarted (or even games created or backed by large developers) can never change between initial conception and the delivered product, nobody is allowed to voice criticism towards the implications that arise when a developer uses kickstarter either without providing what the ambition of the project is and how realistically it can be achieved or without disclosing other avenues that are available to them for funding the project.

Criticizing or supporting a kickstarter doesn't mean that either party is inherently stupid or trolling. Me criticizing Sony (and Sega as well) for not disclosing how much support they are giving a game that they are asking consumers to fund is not me being some sort of concern troll. You can fund the project all you like and I can criticize the project all I like. There should be none of this fund it or shut up crap that is going on.

Any time that you fund a Kickstarter, you are demonstrating that you are putting faith in the creator to deliver what they promised. If you do not believe that what they are promising can be achieved and you do not have faith in them to deliver on their promises then it really is quite simple : do not back it.

For someone who has not invested a single cent in this. you seem very concerned for the people who are happy to put their faith in Yu Suzuki.

What if I went into every Halo 5 thread as someone with no intention to pre-order Halo 5 and yet endlessly berated people who have pre-ordered the game about concerns, negativity and criticism how - do you think that would look?

Top Bottom