• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

I'm a backer, and I am upset that there was no transparency involved.

Like I said earlier and someone else mentioned, when Nintendo saved Bayonetta, did they come up with a faux kickstarter to gauge interest? No, they just made it for the fans. No shady business. We have a clear precedent here with a company handling this kind of situation the right way, and we have today with a company handling it the wrong way.

People should have known from the beginning that they were just gauging interest.
and bayonetta 2 sold like shit so

test_account

XP-39C²
the nature of the reveal, the backing out from saying they're involved and explicitely denying it to actually say they were all along once its succesful and there's no risk, even tho it was obviously clear

the precedent it sets for future similar stuff and what it means for spotlight kickstarter projects

etc

been saying as much. I think kickstarter is a great platform for Shenmue 3. I just don't like how it went down
I understand. How do you think it hurts the project, and future project? Or is it just a matter of pricinple?

Really not a fan of this approach.

So long as it's only used for games that publishers view as being extremely risky. The types of games that get greenlit outside of crowd funding are greenlit because publishers believe they can turn a healthy profit. It's not like publishers are going to suddenly stop greenlighting games before pitching to crowd-funding for games that they are already sure about being profitable.

I can imagine a world where questionable tactics such as pre-order stretch goals become the norm though.

Khayam

Banned
Why aren't they upfront about it? Why not a simple "if we reach our goal Sony will help chip in"?

This is Business 102 (business 101 was covered a few replies before) : shut the fuck up about the details of your contracts as long as possible and especially in the early stages.

Qwark

On their KS page in the FAQ section when you scroll down. "SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license.". Suzuki's company has the rights of the franchise.

To me that means Sega is letting him use the rights, but Sega also retains the rights.

Karak

I think it's reasonable to use Kickstarter as a means of gauging interest when it comes to a rather risky game like Shenmue. How else was Sony supposed to know if there was an actual market for Shenmue 3 in 2015 before dropping millions to make it.

Actually big companies have far better and more accurate programs for finding out interest and fitting that interest into work projects. Programs that have been in use far far longer than Kickstarter and aren't focus tests if thats what people think.
That being said I am not a fan or against them using Kickstarter but no one should even assume for a moment that Sony suddenly forget how to run a games company.

Opto

Banned
I knew Sony had bucks behind it and that asking for two million was just a way to get initial money, but a 2-million dollar goal was busted in under 8 hours and you're telling me Sony didn't have any idea if it would sell?

Either Sony is full of stupid people or everyone's been had.

And yes I'm glad this game exists, but it could have existed without a kickstarter

I'm somewhat okay with them using KS to gauge interest, what I'm not really okay with is if they don't close the KS now that there's offiical backing.

It's already sitting at $2.7m, it'll probably $3m by the morning and who knows where it could go if they don't close it.

How they mkve forward is key. I'm not a fan of games using KS to spread the development costs out to gamers when there's a publisher/backer behind the project.

That's pretty underhanded in my opinion. KS should be for games that genuinely struggle to receive funding, not to gauge interest in a game before a publisher commits to a project.
Games that genuinely struggle to be funded? This game has gone over a decade without being able to procure the necessary funding

I also don't see this game doing huge numbers outside of the core audience who would find it as a Kickstarter so I see no issue with leaving the Kickstsrter open as a channel for purchase

Well, I suppose that's the end of it. There you go.

And did people really think this would be made on a 2 million dollar budget? lol. It was obvious that the kickstarter was essentially a pitch to shareholders to show them that there was interest in the game.

Salsa

Ah okay.

But it's true though, it's not their project, it's Ys Nets project, it's not a Sony WWS project.

They're puttin money in and gettin money out. One can blame the wording but it's not like Boyes had an inspiration in the moment, those things are scripted and tested. They said something to negate risk, kept silent, and then came out on top when the situation meant only good things.

I think it's a sneaky practice

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
the nature of the reveal, the backing out from saying they're involved and explicitely denying it to actually say they were all along once its succesful and there's no risk, even tho it was obviously clear

the precedent it sets for future similar stuff and what it means for spotlight kickstarter projects

etc

been saying as much. I think kickstarter is a great platform for Shenmue 3. I just don't like how it went down

I don't think he explicitly said they're not involved. He just said it was not "our thing". I'm not even sure this can't or won't ultimately come to the Xbox. It could down the road; I'm not sure how much Sony is really contributing or if they are the sole contributor. Honestly I think it's not as explicit.

Of course they are trying to negate risk. I mean that's what kickstarter is, but it's what all insurance and financing tools ultimately are.

If Sony had said they'd support it if it reached 2mm, would you be comfortable? What if they didn't disclose the level of support they would give?

Jotaka

Nope, it's ok to fully crowdfund a game, what it's not ok is crowdfund a game that already has a publisher with enough money to fund it themselves, that's when it crosses the line.

Why should any one invest if they don't know if there is interest in the game? Do you realize that they there isn't a guarantee that the project will be profitable at the end, right?

Jesus Christ, people will bitch and complain about anything. You're getting the game less than retail after waiting almost 15 years for it. There's nothing shady about this, you voted with your wallet which carries more weight than stupid internet polls or general interest. As much as we like to see Sony "making dreams come true" in this situation, it's a business at the end of the day. You wanted it and you got the game for less than $30 instead of retail.
Quixote dixit: "Let the dogs bark, Sancho. It’s a sign that we are on track".

Entropia

No One Remembers
I had no question that the Kickstarter was being used as a pre-order mechanism. There was no way the game could be made on only a $2 million budget. This is super carny.

Why could Yu not have started this fund raiser independent of either Sony or Microsoft, gauged interest, and then worry about the publisher later?

Those of you crying "lol whine" are missing the point. Here was a game that many wanted to play for years. Suzuki needed money and he went to Sony for backing who then insisted a caveat (kickstarter). Comparing this to Shenmue ii appearing on xbox is comparing apples and oranges. You now have a segment of early fans that can't even get their mittens on this which is absurd considering that the industry have proclaimed the series to be niche to begin with

McLovin

Is this the first ip to have each of its games exclusive to different platforms? Shenmue was exclusive to the DC, part 2 to the Xbox, and now the 3 is PS4. Not only that but this is the first time it's exclusive to the "winning" console.

Porcile

The worst thing that happens here is that Sony sinks millions of dollars into this project and the game bombs outside of the initial Kickstart audience. It doesn't matter really, because in the end you're getting Shenmue III, but it could set a precedent for future titles looking to be funded this way. The problem I see is that it's in the tough position of not being a reboot or a re-imagining of an franchise. It's literally kicking off midway through a story from a game series 99% of the modern gaming population haven't played and don't have easy access to. 1 and 2 really need a HD re-release, even that's risky because 1+2 haven't exactly aged magnificently.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As a backer, I wish people would stop telling me that I'm being exploited or how I should spend my money

Talk is cheap, the real litmus test is getting people to open their wallets. You don't have to like it but that's business

Agreed. They do not owe us these titles... especially when we did not buy enough of the prequels. People have shown them that it is now warranted.

I support these practices moving forward with such risky titles, because it means we actually may get the hardcore niche games we want. If we do not support them, then it shows it would have been a flop, and probably another closed studio.

The film industry has been doing KS'ers as well people. This is not going away.

iidesuyo

I don't get the hate against Kickstarter. I think it great.

People who backed the game will get it for cheap and have of extra content.

Ridley327

Where is Sega in all of this? Do they own the IP anymore?

It sounds like a repeat of the Bayonetta 2 situation: they still own the IP, but they're doing nothing to stop Suzuki from using it if he's finding his own funding source independent from Sega itself.

Well, I just like things being as transparent as possible. We are talking about crowd-funding here, not pre-ordering: I believe Ys Net should have disclosed the fact that Sony was involved from the start on the KS page, and I'm with Salsa at thinking that the fact that Boyes said (paraphrasing) "we didn't make this happen" is quite shady. It's misleading, to say the least.
My point is if they had done it and people didn't put their money in and the game did not get made. Would that have made you happier?

I agree he shouldn't have said that, but the point here is that to Sony this was the only way to make it and not showing that information improved the chances of it getting made.

Karak

Is this the first ip to have each of its games exclusive to different platforms? Shenmue was exclusive to the DC, part 2 to the Xbox, and now the 3 is PS4. Not only that but this is the first time it's exclusive to the "winning" console.

Part 2 was DC.

I'm a backer, and I am upset that there was no transparency involved.

Like I said earlier and someone else mentioned, when Nintendo saved Bayonetta, did they come up with a faux kickstarter to gauge interest? No, they just made it for the fans. No shady business. We have a clear precedent here with a company handling this kind of situation the right way, and we have today with a company handling it the wrong way.

People should have known from the beginning that they were just gauging interest.

You can always cancel your pledge you know...

I think if you're annoyed that a kickstarter's overwhelming success has led to a creative project getting the support of a major funding source as a result of that success, then you just have a problem with crowdfunding.

Making things happen and getting creative people paid that wouldn't otherwise be is the whole point of this stuff.

Lynn616

... To gauge interest.

Well they got their answer. There is interest so Sony can now refund all that money to everyone.

Edit. Refund anything over the regular price of the game.

Never did a Kickstarter before. Seems you can pull your money so not a real issue after all.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So the Kickstarter was pure PR. Way to ruin it, Sony. I'm not supporting it like this, pledge pulled.

What practical difference is this going to make to you? Your still getting the game. Did you really expect this to be made for 2 million?

Kickstarter is used to demonstrate that people are willing to pay money for a game. That's how it's used for video games. It almost never fully funds games. Shenmue was a commercial failure in its first two iterations. Sony needed some kind of proof that people were going to spend money for a third game, and that's where Kickstarter comes in.

You are assuming that Sony was going to fund this game from the start if it met the $2 million dollar goal.

There is nothing on the Kickstarter page that says it. We didn't know about this partnership until Suzuki said it on the stream.

So I stand by my claim that Sony intentionally deceived fans that Shenmue 3 needed real backers to fund the game.

Top Bottom