• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

Salsa

I understand. How do you think it hurts the project, and future project? Or is it just a matter of pricinple?

I don't precisely mind the "kickstarter to gauge interest" aspect of it, but I think putting it on a stage that big and going about it in this way sets up the platform for some weirdness, considering the ruling of it right now takes the risk out of the publisher and allows for silence / control of their brand relating directly to the project's success or failure, and as an after-the-fact thing.

some people might like that, minimizing risk and putting it into players, others might be a bit more skeptical. I somehow fall in the latter by the way things went.

jaypah

So if Sony is putting money on the table, why is the game out on PC ? Does anyone have a solid explanation ?

No idea, but isn't it awesome?! It's not everybody (sorry X1 owners) but it's a large majority of the platforms that have this game available. I'm picking it up for PC so I'm glad it's an option.

RE_Player

The great thing about this Kickstarter is if you don't like the practice of gauging interest you don't have to pledge money or you can easily cancel your pledge before the Kickstarter finishes.

Exactly my point.

Sony has exploited the kickstarter model in order for gamers to pay well in excess for a retail copy of the game under the guise "it needs funded", when they shouldn't have to do this at all.

No they haven't. This thread has reached a double figured page count and you STILL don't get how this works?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I knew Sony had bucks behind it and that asking for two million was just a way to get initial money, but a 2-million dollar goal was busted in under 8 hours and you're telling me Sony didn't have any idea if it would sell?

Either Sony is full of stupid people or everyone's been had.

And yes I'm glad this game exists, but it could have existed without a kickstarter

So why was this not made in the last decade plus then? Probably because no one wanted to put funding up for a game that no one was absolutely sure still had interest.

Well they got their answer. There is interest so Sony can now refund all that money to everyone.

Hey backers, remember that game you bought for $29, well here is your money back and now you can buy it for $59 when it comes out.

Onemic

It's like people dont realize that this has been happening for a bit now. It happened with Bloodstained too. You guys really thought that 2 mil was enough to fund Shenmue III, when the first game cost 70 mil to develop?

It's not even like you're paying more than what you would if there was no kickstarter. In fact Im pretty sure the game will be sold at 60 bucks at release while KS backers get it at 30 bucks(if you get digital)

Not sure what the complaints are really.

People really want the game, its been nearly 15 years... They do a kickstarter saying you'll get the game if you back... they get the 2m and it looks like someone (Sony?) might have stepped in with further funds. The kickstarter backer will still get the game and the rewards... not really sure where the negative is here.

If the game wasn't back on kickstarter the game would disappear down the plug-hole.

boycottmw2.jpg

viveks86

tumblr_ltsra4931B1qb21tjo1_400.gif

Been hearing this mantra of "Kickstarter should only be for struggling game projects" since the very beginning but it errs on naïve idealism. Gauging interest with crowdfunding has been a thing since the very beginning, not just Kickstarter but other outlets like for films.

This. Ultimately KS is another channel to fund a project. It's not charity, so anyone should be allowed to use it. It needs to be regulated better to prevent misappropriation, not to discriminate who is eligible and who isn't

Good. Giving this game that otherwise wouldn't exist, the best chance of success is great news.

Let the worriers/haters/concerned stamp their feet/get pissy/protest their disgust on the internet.

Shenmue III is getting created and given a massive boost in confidence to the series finally becoming a reality and an ending it deserves after 14 years that YS tried and failed to get it going.

People put their money where their mouths are and Sony are able to go in with much less risk to help create something, that really shouldn't be getting made otherwise.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Ah yes, the reason I oppose this business practice is because I'm salty that Shenmue 3 is made for a console I don't own. I'm just jealous that all the PS4 owners get to play Shenmue 3 on their couch at home, while I have to get it on a boring old computer. It's clear that all of my arguments against the game company you like is because I'm salty, why did I ever post in the first place. Thanks for making me realize the truth guys!

Kaizer

Banned
THIS GAME WOULDN'T EXIST IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN

I hope people realize this, there's no way Shenmue III was going to ever be made without this Kickstarter. People are crazy to think a game company would willingly throw tens upon millions of dollars at a franchise that's:
1.Over a decade old
2. Very niche
3. Has a cult following, which is usually a very vocal minority

The Kickstarter basically served as an evolved form of an internet petition or survey asking "How much are you willing to pay to play this game?" It makes sense to me - if the cult following for this franchise really wants this game, then hey, put your money where your mouth is and prove it, that way we can feel a bit better about this and know that this passion project won't be a total financial failure that wins hearts & minds but doesn't make anything close to a profit.

wildfire

Banned
I can't believe people are trying to shit on the dream come true that this E3 has been

From my past experience in other kick starter threads the vast majority of complainers never funded a project in the first place.

There should be a rule enforcing people to have actually participated in crowdfunding being allowed to complain in these threads because if someone actually was concerned about losing money they could easily cancel their pledge.

Josh7289

You are assuming that Sony was going to fund this game from the start if it met the $2 million dollar goal.

There is nothing on the Kickstarter page that says it. We didn't know about this partnership until Suzuki said it on the stream.

So I stand by my claim that Sony intentionally deceived fans that Shenmue 3 needed real backers to fund the game.

It was obvious, and that's how Kickstarters work. If the goal is not met, the game isn't made. I'm sorry you didn't understand that, but there's no need to explain the basics of Kickstarters when announcing one. At least you understand now.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be angry, but it's mostly a reaction to other people being angry. Negative emotions feed negative emotions, you know?

Sorry again, but no one's deceiving anyone here. Can we go back to rejoicing that Shenmue 3 is being made now?

I don't precisely mind the "kickstarter to gauge interest" aspect of it, but I think putting it on a stage that big and going about it in this way sets up the platform for some weirdness, considering the ruling of it right now takes the risk out of the publisher and allows for silence / control of their brand relating directly to the project's success or failure, and as an after-the-fact thing.

some people might like that, minimizing risk and putting it into players, others might be a bit more skeptical. I somehow fall in the latter by the way things went.

What is wrong with Sony mitigating risk though? and what are you skeptical about? I'm just not sure how this practice could turn into a doomsday scenario.

I knew Sony had bucks behind it and that asking for two million was just a way to get initial money, but a 2-million dollar goal was busted in under 8 hours and you're telling me Sony didn't have any idea if it would sell?

And yes I'm glad this game exists, but it could have existed without a kickstarter

It could have existed as a toned down project or just a kickstarter game without sony backing it. Sony got its cake and is eating it too. People are acting like this game wouldn't exist without these two factors either. How many recent retro developers have had their games funded? The one from the castlevania producer? Kenji Inafune's game. The ex rare guys game. Considering that Shenmue 3 is constantly brought it over and over again there was clearly an audience for it. And I don't blame sony. They did whats best for them. The gaming community however with all the talks about how we shouldn't preorder games becauise of a variety of reasons that shit quickly went out the window because "its shenmue III!". More then 2 million dollars made and they didn't have to sell a season pass or offer any preorder dlc.

I do understand the kickstarter, even if it is just for marketing. It makes the public feel involved with this project that they've been longing for for years. It's a very fancy pre-order at this point, but it has paid off big time. Imagine if Nintendo did this with Bayonetta 2, would it have sold better just based on hype? One has to wonder....

Holy shit. People really do find ANYTHING to bitch about...

Now that this is a reality, I'm going to have to play through the first two again soon :)

You know, if you're not happy, you can withdraw your pledge.

Just buy it when it comes out or don't buy it at all or do whatever you want, who cares?

Quazar

Yea it's like the company has no analytics/marketing/financial teams to figure anything out. Lol

Darknight

"Fuck Sony but Ill take the PC copy lol"

Oh my people complain about everything dont they? Do people realize what game this is about?

I was more confused about the "ok its legit now" statement but having this on their conference meant it was exclusive on PS. They should have said "If the KS reaches 2M, its official we are gonna fund it!" but whetever. This is Shenmue and its happening.

Anyways pay $30 and get you PS4 digital copy. Thats the best deal you can get. If it wasnt there wouldnt be Shenmue 3 or a copy for $30 anywhere. It wouldnt exist. No KS, no nothing. Just another boring E3.

Well they got their answer. There is interest so Sony can now refund all that money to everyone.

So what about those people who reserved there copies?

They should now pay double for the game at $60 now?

What about those who wanted memorabilia from their best game of all time?

Should they just forget about that?

What about people who actually get to eat with the man who has changed their childhood?

They should just get an "Oh well" tough shit?

Stop with this selfish ass argument. People PAID for something to get stuff in return. This isn't one a one way deal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kickstarter is not to gauge interest. That makes no sense. If you knew it was to gauge interest, the amount you'd donate would be meaningless. You'd know it would be refunded.

It is to transfer risk. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Salsa

If Sony had said they'd support it if it reached 2mm, would you be comfortable? What if they didn't disclose the level of support they would give?

I might be wrong, but I think there wouldnt be that much of an outrage if they straight up said "we're launching a kickstarter alongside Yu to get Shenmue 3 out on Playstation 4"

considering amplitude and all

then again there's those "multi-million dollar company asking for money!!" type of opinions I guess

Top Bottom