• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

A Kickstarter is never an investment. You are not investing money and gaining a stake in the outcome. You are donating.

Not in the stock-market sense, but I'm giving money now in order to save money later. If the project gets funded, they have an role to fulfill in providing me with the appropriate backer goal. There are risks involved with this process, but weighing risk vs reward I'm confident that I'll save money by going this route so I decided to take it.

Melchiah

I am. If it allows for niche titles (specifically sequels and remakes) to hit the market that otherwise would never see the light of day?

I'm all for it.

Same here, eventhough I'm not interested in Shenmue. I don't get the complaints, when the alternative is getting nothing.

Now, kickstart a Kojima horror game next.

Xpliskin

Yeah this thread is making me facepalm.

"Shemue 3 is happening, I've never played the series, but the funding doesn't feel right it shouldn't happen "

Bailingout.gif

People bitched last night that Sony just put up Shenmue III yesterday solely to get credit for the "hype" announcement, and that it was a dick move to not fund the game themselves.

Now that Sony says they're also funding it, now there's bitching that they weren't transparent and that it "sets a bad precedent" (it doesn't, symbolic KS goals have been around for YEARS)

This time it truly is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I don't understand people who cannot fathom why this went up on stage. It went up on stage to get 9,000,000,000x attention. The End Period. It was Sony that was the publisher in the background.

You guys are grasping at straws here.

4Tran

No it isn't. Nobody's being had here, people throwing money at the KS page aren't being duped because they know what they're getting into.

And KS almost never covers the full cost of the project, even small indie projects. The producers always have incidental expenses that push the total budget far beyond the original KS. Almost every gaming KS from reputable developers have the devs/individuals throwing in a lot of their own personal money to get them made.

People in here gotta quit acting like this is something new. Gaming KSs have always under-valued the cost of their own projects to gauge consumer interest.
And this is exactly why so many people were shocked when the Skullgirls expansion campaign put up realistic Indiegogo goals and broke down all of the costs.

People should forget about ideallistic kickstarter. Think of it as a pre-order interest gauging website.

Everybody is - hopefully - getting what they paid for. Actually, with Sony stepping in this is even less of a risk!

I think the only thing they should've done is being more upfront about all of this. "Hey, here is a kickstarter. We have to make sure there is people to buy this thing. If it goes through we will invest more on it" The end.

Anyway, I think its great. No one is getting scammed. Shenmue isn't a certain success project, the fans are getting it to happen.

i have only read the first couple of pages, but this seems eerily similar to the bayoneta 2 situation, where without nintendo (sony in this case) the game wouldnt get made. minus the whole kickstarter thing of course.

curious to see how people handle this news, since in general it was handled pretty goddamn fucking poorly with bayonetta, what with people condemning the game, claiming to refuse to buy it, etc.

nevermind that the game wouldnt get made with the respective companies help.

So long as it's only used for games that publishers view as being extremely risky. The types of games that get greenlit outside of crowd funding are greenlit because publishers believe they can turn a healthy profit. It's not like publishers are going to suddenly stop greenlighting games before pitching to crowd-funding for games that they are already sure about being profitable.

I can imagine a world where questionable tactics such as pre-order stretch goals become the norm though.

Publishers are losing money if they use Kickstarter..

The complains are just silly.

While I think all the complaints are overblown (there's been much worse done on Kickstarter, by far), I'd like to see this thread in an alternative universe where MS was in Sony's position: I'm struggling to guess if there would be more or less magazine rack-tippage.

maxiell

Could it have been more obvious that Sony was going to be involved if this took off? It was on their E3 stage. Anyone who thought they wouldn't be was either naive or deluding themselves. It was the least "sneaky" thing ever - it happened in the middle of a stage show!

Why could Yu not have started this fund raiser independent of either Sony or Microsoft, gauged interest, and then worry about the publisher later?

Those of you crying "lol whine" are missing the point. Here was a game that many wanted to play for years. Suzuki needed money and he went to Sony for backing who then insisted a caveat (kickstarter). Comparing this to Shenmue ii appearing on xbox is comparing apples and oranges. You now have a segment of early fans that can't even get their mittens on this which is absurd considering that the industry have proclaimed the series to be niche to begin with

If Sony hadn't presented it at E3 I'd probably have no idea a kickstarter even existed and wouldn't be backing it. The hype on here is what's driving me to give this man money for a sequel to a game that came out when I was six and I've never played. The game was almost mythical lol

Nafai1123

Banned
The implication being that the only reason this is sitting on $2.7 mil right now is because of Sony?

No, the implication that an independent KS Shenmue would be able to be made with a 2million goal. Without investor interest they would've had to set the goal much higher and would've failed.

Can Sony get Capcom on stage next year so we can kickstart a Resident Evil 2 remake? I wonder how much they could raise................................

Eh? Sega are not developing the game, Ys Net, a small studio, are developing it. Your comparison is not even close to accurate.

Kickstarter is for projects which need a hand in initial funding. It has served shenmue perfectly by giving it the funding it needs immediately and by convincing other investors (Sony) to continue investing where necessary.

The salt in this thread is reaching dangerous levels.

MaxiLive

This is great news! This means there is a lot more security when it comes to the project being completed and with the pulling power from Sony hopefully this could have Sega producing Shenmue 1+2 HD.

I'm sure Sony will be helping out the marketing and production side of things with a bit of investment from their end but what most people seem to be missing is that they are doing this from a 3rd part perspective so their actually involvement with the game design and development side of things will probably be pretty slim.

Without Sony and Kickstarter there is no way Shenmue III would ever be considered to be developed. But with Sony doing the whole "build the list" and using their connections to talk with Yu Suzuki directly they have managed to setup a kickstarter and allow Yu Suzuki and his studio to being early development.

Kickstarter is doing what it is supposed to be doing, kick starting the project and allowing it to become a reality. On top of that for people actually backing the project are losing out of nothing as they still get the product at the end of the day at a very fair price.

Then on top of all of this it means -2 years of heartache. Even if Sony fully funded Yu Suzuki and allowed how to create Shenmue III without kickstarter it would be an additional 2-3 year wait of everyone being tight lipped on what they are working on and no doubt some inevitable leak that would spoil any form of reveal!

Then finally expectations would be too high for the game if it was classed as a Sony 1st party exclusive as the scale of the game isn't going to be able to complete with modern AAA RPGs (Dragon Age, Witcher, Yakuza etc).

I had no question that the Kickstarter was being used as a pre-order mechanism. There was no way the game could be made on only a $2 million budget. This is super carny.

It's not a preorder though. You can pull a pre order anytime before release, so 'lots of preorders' doesn't always translate to 'lots of sales'. You don't see a dime of preorder money.

This is going to be a sunk cost prepurchase. Once the campaign ends, that money is going to be sent Yu's way for game development.

Ralemont

not me
Well they got their answer. There is interest so Sony can now refund all that money to everyone.

Sure, and then I have to buy the game at retail when it's released.

Are people beginning to see why it's stupid to call this a scam? I don't have to buy the game again on release just because Sony is now helping fund it. I already bought the game through the KS.

Audioboxer

What?, you heard it here first guys!... Shenmue started out on the XB!... what is this Dreamcast you speak of?...

Well you know, Shenmue 1 was a prequel to Shenmue 2, which came out after Shenmue 2 via a time travel peripheral we had to kickstart in the future to go to the past to get Shenmue 1 when the Xbox didn't exist.

So, Shenmue 2 came first, is the answer to age-old question of the chicken or the egg.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Maybe I'm not phat with da kidz anymore, but can someone please explain to me how the fuck this news is so surprising to anyone WHEN THE GAME WAS ANNOUNCED AT THE SONY CONFERENCE!?

I mean, Jesus Christ on a Crapstick!

People bitched last night that Sony just put up Shenmue III yesterday solely to get credit for the "hype" announcement, and that it was a dick move to not fund the game themselves.

Now that Sony says they're also funding it, now there's bitching that they weren't transparent and that it "sets a bad percent" (it doesn't, symbolic KS goals have been around for YEARS)

This time it truly is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

No one is damned tho. It's a few grumpy ass people on these boards is all. Nothing to worry about or care about.

Salsa

Kickstarter is not to gauge interest. That makes no sense. If you knew it was to gauge interest, the amount you'd donate would be meaningless. You'd know it would be refunded.

It is to transfer risk. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

yeah, that's definetly the big thing here, and I don't think its fundamentally wrong

considering no one puts any money if the thing isnt succesful tho, I also don't see what's wrong about being more upfront about it

you know, regardless of that kinda thing I think something to take away from this is how apparently everyone really undermined how popular Shenmue III would be

Oneself

Ok now it's a corporate scam? Lol just cancel your pledge if you're not happy with "getting a game that would have never existed without that *scam* at half the retail price"...

That thread is really sad.

Mendax

Except for the part where Sony has obviously already committed to funding this project.

did they do so before the game received this much support on kickstarter? probably not!

Ok now it's a corporate scam? Lol just cancel your pledge if you're not happy with "getting a game that would have never existed without that *scam* at half the retail price"...

That thread is really sad.

depressed people are depressing

Sorral

I was hoping for some salty gifs...

giphy.gif

Holy crap at the concern trolling and "you're being exploited" talk in this thread.
Still a month left to cancel pledges and they are getting a copy for half normal price...

No one is being exploited. Honestly, just cut the crap and remember that the game wasn't being made for 14 years. :/

I might be wrong, but I think there wouldnt be that much of an outrage if they straight up said "we're launching a kickstarter alongside Yu to get Shenmue 3 out on Playstation 4"

considering amplitude and all

then again there's those "multi-million dollar company asking for money!!" type of opinions I guess
I'm 100% sure we would have a thread such as this but much, much worse.

RE_Player

Yeah this thread is making me facepalm.

"Shemue 3 is happening, I've never played the series, but the funding doesn't feel right it shouldn't happen "

Bailingout.gif
Some of these responses do feel like that. I'm bailing out too. At least this might educate some people on how Kickstarter is used.

And this is exactly why so many people were shocked when the Skullgirls expansion campaign put up realistic Indiegogo goals and broke down all of the costs.

Yeah, that's was a big reality slap for many.

So many lessons UNlearned from the Skullgirls debacle. The gaming community really should know better at this point.

joecanada

So the Kickstarter was pure PR. Way to ruin it, Sony. I'm not supporting it like this, pledge pulled.

Lol so Sony pitches in money for a Ps4 version and that "ruins it" okay then . whatever you say it's your money. Lol.

It's not like they are getting any of your actual money (as they don't own the IP) but just keep being so concerned...

Not sure what the complaints are really.

People really want the game, its been nearly 15 years... They do a kickstarter saying you'll get the game if you back... they get the 2m and it looks like someone (Sony?) might have stepped in with further funds. The kickstarter backer will still get the game and the rewards... not really sure where the negative is here.

If the game wasn't back on kickstarter the game would disappear down the plug-hole.

There isn't a negative - the only angle I can see someone with a dislike for these developments is that they must think this was part of the plan all along and Sony is trying to steal $2 million from people which, if you are funding a KS for a game, they were DEFINITELY gonna spend anyway.

Even if that was the case, does it really matter at all?

And I can't see why it would be.

"Yes, of course we'll fund Shenmue 3 out of nowhere after 15 years - but only on the condition you do a Kickstarter and we can get a little taste of that cash beforehand....bwahahahaha....."

I don't see the issue. It's a very niche title that Sony knows is demanded highly within inner nerd circles but wasn't sure that people would be able to back up when we had to put money where our mouths are. We proved there is money there, so now they are officially doing what they were wanting to do with less of a risk of it flopping immensely.

Top Bottom