• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Issues Manual Copyright Strikes Against YouTubers Just For Discussing No Man's S

Dont know if its already been posted (these NMS threads move fast!) but a wee word of warning, from GI

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Sony Issues Manual Copyright Strikes Against YouTubers Just For Discussing No Man's Sky

YouTube has a fairly stringent approach to copyright. We’re most familiar with the automated ContentID system that aggressively flags videos for copyrighted content. But intellectual property owners can also manually flag videos for violations.

Sony took manual action against a number of YouTubers simply discussing the leaked copies and the impact its having. Steven Thomas, who runs the No Man’s Sky Gamer channel, posted an emotional video after getting notification of the strike.

He explains that he does not have a copy of the game and only used existing, approved footage in his video. Thomas, near tears, explains that he had plans to stream the game for 24 hours as a charity initiative supporting the Make-a-Wish foundation. Sony also issued a manual complaint against his video detailing his Patreon and the charity stream.

The video that received a strike was an archived live stream of Thomas discussing the current situation with the game, including the 1.03 update. “During this livestream I gave everyone a run through of the new updates from the game's website,” he told me. “I also gave my thoughts and opinions. Some people would ask me that are not familiar with my channel if what I was showing is new gameplay footage or not and I would clarify to everybody, verbally, that what I was showing is of the old gameplay footage. I am FIRMLY against others violating street date and uploading gameplay prior to release without express written permission.”

More at the link above.

Hanmik

uXDXc8m.png

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762606662284902400

they mentioned it earlier on Sean´s twitter.

patapuf

I don't get the rationale of striking discussion of the game you are releasing tomorrow.

It's not even like the discussion is super negative. People seem to love the 1.03 changes.

What's the purpose of manually going after your fans?

Mik2121

Yikes Sony... I probably would have never known about that YouTube channel or other channels talking about NMS and now they might get way more famous thanks to you trying to have them shut up.

This stuff is so common with companies trying to handle internet commentary that it makes you wonder if they are aware of the consequences.

Kssio_Aug

That's absurd! People discussing publicly content that weren't even responsible for the leaks. There's nothing wrong about discussing it.

Ridiculous attitude.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Abusing YouTube's copyright strikes on a fan channel that discusses publicly available information.

That's quite some bullshit Sony.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oui, being excited for something and following it closely and purposely trying to avoid leaked footage but mentioning it because it was relevant to the game's pre-release cycle and trying to inform and encourage people to support the game and avoid breaking street date only to then get manually called out and copyright struck by Sony, which limits what you can do with your channel for usually 6 months, when you were planning to host a charity stream of said game you were excited for, would be a downer.

Companies also need to learn the method for battling leaks isn't censorship and trying to plug people even just talking about it.

Happy the creator is working on sorting it out, but Sony, not the right way to handle it.

I'd imagine this is due to really not wanting spoilers to get out but somewhere they went a ''bit'' far considering the game is basically out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just how much stake has Sony over NMS? Are they actually publishing the game?

That's the interesting thing -- Sony doesn't actually have the authority to issue copyright strikes as it's merely a marketing partner. The IP and game itself are owned by Hello.

Unknown?

Okay I don't see why Sony would do that but is this guy a drama queen or what?! Crying over a copy right strike? Give me a break its just YouTube!

SOR5

Wtf.. surely theres a grave mistake here.

Yeah Ive seen wacky stuff all the time about keeping thing under wraps, but I wouldn't see something this Orwellian, think we need to know more

Okay I don't see why Sony would do that but is this guy a drama queen or what?! Crying over a copy right strike? Give me a break its just YouTube!

Copyright strikes are one step closer to losing your livelihood for many youtubers

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

You do know this is actually a job for some people right? As in their only source of income.

On top of that, a copyright strike can limit what they can upload, impacting that quite a bit.

This is so dumb. Seeing Sony's attitude, it makes me wonder if I should buy this game and support HG/Sony.
Buy the game. You are supporting Hello more so than Sony. Sony has been doing some really strange things lately. Wonder what they are thinking. The main one being Rocket League online play with Xbox players.

Top Bottom