• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Issues Manual Copyright Strikes Against YouTubers Just For Discussing No Man's S

Vidal

People overreacting over overreaction. Uncharted 4 was the big payload for Sony this year and YouTube and other websites are filled with full game play videos (including me). This is:

a) huge blunder from someone that will get his ass fired
b) someone with nda?
c) something more complicated that we don't know the facts.

Both Sony and Microsoft are VERY liberal with content, now... On the other side, N*text copyrighted*

Did anyone make a joke yet about a copyright strike on the thread title? If not I want to because it's a pretty good joke.

Regardless, this is weird and even weirder that it isn't accidental. Hopefully it gets sorted out. At least Sean seems to want to fix this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Right and that's why I said specifically that this is a fuck up on Sony part. Jesus one of the major reasons this game is so hotly anticipated is because of the YouTube people and other sites proping it up. They'll get this fixed.
I think the only reason it's anticipated because of the hundreds of E3 stage demos since video games exist. :p

Orayn

Jesus Christ, I just talked about the leaks, day one update, and release stuff on a podcast this weekend. Is Sony going to file a claim for discussing publicly available info?

For the players indeed.

flkraven

Wait, so you are allowed to shutdown someone who publicly speaks about something you don't want them to talk about? Yikes. Only a matter of time before politicians get a hold of this!

Kyari

People should really stop focusing on if/why Sony did this, and instead be concerned that ANYONE was able to DO THIS.

Getting a video removed by using the DMCA just because of a discussion that takes place on it is ludicrous.

legacyzero

Banned
Sony being a little heavy handed on the spoiler prevention.

The just got Cobra TV with a strike today. But they not hit my channel at all. Strange...

Calvero

Banned
uXDXc8m.png

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762606662284902400

they mentioned it earlier on Sean´s twitter.

how do you accidently issue manual copyright claims

People overreacting over overreaction. Uncharted 4 was the big payload for Sony this year and YouTube and other websites are filled with full game play videos (including me). This is:

b) someone with nda?

Both Sony and Microsoft are VERY liberal with content, now... On the other side, N*text copyrighted*

Exactly.

I think the only reason it's anticipated because of the hundreds of E3 stage demos since video games exist. :p

They did one E3 stage demo. E32014. E33015 had a trailer and this year just a few frames in a montage.

I get it. Sarcasm. :)

Atomski

People should really stop focusing on if/why Sony did this, and instead be concerned that ANYONE was able to DO THIS.

Getting a video removed by using the DMCA just because of a discussion that takes place on it is ludicrous.

yeah this is whats bothering me.. I just dont get it.

Well I'm sure House or layden didn't say. "take down every NMS video." I bet this some legal team stepping in and doing this. Shit like this has happened before and it has been a mistake. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of Sony doing anything like this before.

It just again shows that youtube's system about this whole thing is crap. I mean look at Nintendo they'll take a video down at the drop of hat. We all hate it but that's just how thins work under this system.

Yeah, I doubt SIE sent out the notice and it was most likely Sony Legal sending it for whatever reason. Departments within the same company not working together is not usual.

jett

D-Member
Honestly, I don't know what's more insane. People actually worried about spoilers in a procedural game, or the developers themselves concerned about this crap in their procedural-ass game, to the point of doing this kind of shit.

In any case, this is an awful fucking precedent set by YouTube.

Auctopus

Wait, so you are allowed to shutdown someone who publicly speaks about something you don't want them to talk about? Yikes. Only a matter of time before politicians get a hold of this!

I don't know if this a joke post or not but this already happens. It's called an (super) injunction.

SgtCobra

This spoiler culture is getting ridiculous!

No but really, lots of conclusion jumping here, IIRC there were other first party games which didn't have this problem so I'm thinking something went wrong in the communication side of things. This shouldn't have happened though.

MageBoySA

People keep saying it was "probably a mistake".

I mean, that's not like an accidental Content ID flag. That's someone very deliberately slapping the video down.

It's not something the developer wanted to happen, and Sony's probably going to stop now that it's bad press, but I'd hesitate to call that a mistake. More like "a choice Sony made they quickly regretted."

I'm thinking some lawyer saw what was possibly just the titles of the videos, and decided to go off on his stuff. They probably make the (incorrect) assumption that he was trying to sell the unreleased game somehow, seeing that Patreon was involved. Still dumb, and the firestorm this is causing will probably mean that lawyer will be looking for a new job. (Or there will be a lawyer/lawfirm scapegoated for this.)

Boke1879

IMO it's an accident in the fact I highly doubt this is a company mandate and someone got carried away most likely looking for footage of the game and probably figured any discussion was worthy of a copyright strike. Or it could be a team of lawyers doing this shit. I have faith it'll get sorted as I have never heard Sony doing this sort of thing before.

But as far as this thread goes certain people are already on their crusade.

Nictel

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Sony's Ministry of Justice is hard at work (As in mistakes were made).

Buy the game. You are supporting Hello more so than Sony. Sony has been doing some really strange things lately. Wonder what they are thinking. The main one being Rocket League online play with Xbox players.
If the games turn out good and Hello Game actually receives larger share of my money than Sony does, I will gladly buy the game and play it.

You darn well you're gonna buy this game. Calling your bluff right now.
What bluff? Amazon (acidentally) shipped my game already but I won't hesitate to return it as soon as I receive it.

Auctopus

I don't know if you're being facetious but it's quite clear we don't mean their finger slipped. Lots of professions work by certain codes of conducts when it comes to operating in industries that you're not fully familiar with. E.g. The games industry.

A lawyer for Sony could've easily just been following the brief that was given to them. If the video ticked all the boxes then it would've been their job to slap a copyright claim on it. Gaming is quite a dynamic market when it comes to grassroots/social influence marketing.

lynux3

lol @ the overreactions, arrogant Sony, joke company, etc.

All of this is likely to be sorted out within a day. There's likely something deeper to this than we actually know and you can bet it is the legal team handling this. No one will care this ever happened.

This is incredibly dumb. This is the kind of game which will thrive through YouTube, forums and shared experiences. They should be encouraging this kind of stuff, not censoring it!

autoduelist

b) someone with nda?

This is my guess as well. You can find tons of Sony gaming content on Youtube... they don't seem to care. This being an outlier tends to suggest one of your options above, making some of the reactions in here [all the 'for the player' jibes'] rather silly until more information is known.

flkraven

All of this is likely to be sorted out within a day. There's likely something deeper to this than we actually know and you can bet it is the legal team handling this. No one will care this ever happened.

I know 1 person that will care. The dude that can no longer run his long-planned charity stream on youtube.

Mahonay

Banned

I don't think this is overreacting. This is a insanely shitty thing for Sony to do and a scary practice for those that want to have open discussions about games. Letting this just slide would be a mistake.

I don't think this is overreacting. This is a insanely shitting thing for Sony to do and a scary practice for those that want to have open discussions about games. Letting this just slide would be a mistake.

It's overreacting when you flip out without additional information.

lynux3

This is my guess as well. You can find tons of Sony gaming content on Youtube... they don't seem to care. This being an outlier tends to suggest one of your options above, making some of the reactions in here [all the 'for the player' jibes'] rather silly until more information is known.

Indeed. As a matter of fact Sony encourages people to upload their content and third party content to YouTube, Twitch, etc. I mean unless they created the share button for shits and giggles and application to create your own unique videos.

J3ffro

Exactly, meanwhile the pearl clutching is phenomenal.

Seems like a collection of video titles were thrown together after assessing that a few actually were the standard for all. Dangerous precedent but I am willing to wait and see what happens. YouTube is in a position that is pro big business because they have created a way for situations like this to even occur in the first place.

I am not giving out a pass to Sony or YouTube but I am going to hold off grabbing my torch and pitchfork for now.

Lothars

Honestly, I don't know what's more insane. People actually worried about spoilers in a procedural game, or the developers themselves concerned about this crap in their procedural-ass game, to the point of doing this kind of shit.

In any case, this is an awful fucking precedent set by YouTube.
It doesn't sound like it was the developers and It seems like it was more of a mistake than anything from someone jumping the gun.

Yup but that would mean people grabbing the torches and pitchforks are not overreacting which seems like the case.

I know the whole down to earth #4thegamers thing was just PR but damn. Still hard to believe that arrogant Sony is back.
How is arrogant Sony back? Such a stupid thing to say.

Top Bottom