• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Issues Manual Copyright Strikes Against YouTubers Just For Discussing No Man's S

It does bring up an interesting question.

How come it's not legal on Twitch or Youtube, but it's legal on a web forum like Gaf?

Aren't .GIFS and still images of the game protected too?

Is DMCA protection only for recorded videos and live streams?

I don't understand where the line is drawn on this stuff? Sounds like a potential slippery slope.

KiraXD

How come it's not legal on Twitch or Youtube, but it's legal on a web forum like Gaf?

I don't understand where the line is drawn on this stuff? Sounds like a potential slippery slope.

well gaf is a private forum kinda? anyone can sign up to youtube so its got a bigger audience? i dunno...

Head.spawn

If you have a weapon that deletes shit and takes away people's income, you don't casually whip it out and accidentally let it go off. Put the safety on for fucks sake.

You have to understand one thing: it's not a question of legality.

Twitch, Youtube, etc are making their decisions about closing accounts/killing streams based on their Terms of Service, and to at least some extent, their desire to stay in the good graces of the games industry as a whole.

There's nothing illegal about streaming a copy of your game you got early, but when you're doing it using the resources of a site like YouTube or Twitch, they have the ultimate say.

ReaperXL7

I assume the Neo would be for the few exclusives? NX for the daughter might be the more promising route for both of you. Depending on the NX itself of course. =)

Either way, good luck with your new PC!

Yeah, I was holding onto my PS4 because I wasn't sure if Japan was going to continue to explore PC as an additional option for release but with companies like Namco and S-E starting to bring their games that concern is going away, even if you have to wait a little longer. They do have some exclusives that I would still like to play but not enough to compete with some things I want from PC at this point. There is also the fact that my daughter is interested in learning how to make games which will be something I need a PC to help her with.

It's still going to be a little while before I can get all that parts together for my PC but that will give me plenty of time to see what Sony does with Neo and Nintendo plans for the NX to make my decision on which will be my back up.

That's fucked up. Hopefully they reverse course on this soon, it doesn't make any sense to copyright strike people talking about a game with preexisting footage.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
A lot of over reactions in here. It's being sorted.
It should never have happened.

I want to know who at Sony issued these Copyright strikes and why. Using copyright law -wrongly at that- to censor discussion online quite chilling effect. This needs to never happen again, leaks or no leaks.

This is what happens when the pressed disc selling at retail are not 'final' builds and the publisher doesn't want anyone to talk about it.

Idiotic of sony.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You know, this is it for me. I might pick up the game on sale at some point, but I'm not supporting this game at launch anymore.

UrbanRats

Twitch, Youtube, etc are making their decisions about closing accounts/killing streams based on their Terms of Service, and to at least some extent, their desire to stay in the good graces of the games industry as a whole.

There's nothing illegal about streaming a copy of your game you got early, but when you're doing it using the resources of a site like YouTube or Twitch, they have the ultimate say.
Basically.
It's not like Youtube and Twitch are public, government websites for all to use.

This reflects bad on Sony, still.

Actually, I think I understand now.

Youtube hosts the videos. Twitch streams the gameplay.

But GAF is just linking GIFs and images via URLs.

GAF isn't actually storing any images. Outside sites are. I guess DMCA is used to target content hosts.

CazTGG

No Man Speaks
About Our Game Without Permission

Even on PS4 Hello Games is the publisher... so how on Earth can Sony claim Copyright?

Because YouTube has zero oversight when it comes to copyright claims. I once had a review of the Angry Birds movie claimed by a company who didn't even have the copyrights they were claiming to begin with, to say nothing of the fact that said copyright footage was never in the video.
CjAap86XAAAYYdw.jpg

Bluenoser

OT should really be updated. Sony has admitted they made a mistake, and have removed the claim against videos that have not used leaked footage.

Edit: Source - at least for one Youtube channel anyway...

"We Were CENSORED by No Man's Sky! - The Know"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZoBqfWxqk

"UPDATE: SCEA has released the copyright claim against our original news update, acknowledged it was a mistake, and apologized! Being angry over internet injustice has worked wonders once again!"

Like I'm sure Sony didn't just say lets take down all NMS videos. This could be something like their legal team doing this. So I imagine it'll get sorted.

But I hate seeing stuff like this no matter who it's from. Nintendo imo is the worst offender. But youtube invited this stuff with the whole contend ID crap.

But some of yall are reaching. I'm only worried about the youtube channels getting their rights back.

Some in here are already starting the narrative "arrogant Sony is back" or this is going to somehow diminish goodwill of the game. Largely this will have no impact on anything after a few days.

Folks were just waiting in the wings for the chance to start that nonsense up again.

Maybe it shouldn't happen in the first place?

Oh ridiculous mate. Shit happens from time to time. From the sounds of it, they're addressing it and resolving it. Who the heck are you to behave as if mistakes can't occur out there?

Sony is really dropping the ball. First they dragging their feet in making it possible to allow cross-platform play with Xbox Live despite the initial statement that they were all for it, and now deliberately and systematically destroying player's goodwill by flagging videos that fall under fair use (which should be punishable by law by now, jeez).

What's next? Cancel game projects, add microtransaction feature requirement to games else no certification, and their 1st Party games are now all Pachinko games, and 3rd party games now require a Pachinko minigame that is required to be played during game progression such as during loading screens?

I might be too negative at the moment...

Kayant

OT should really be updated. Sony has admitted they made a mistake, and have removed the claim against videos that have not used leaked footage.

Edit: Source - at least for one Youtube channel anyway...

"We Were CENSORED by No Man's Sky! - The Know"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZoBqfWxqk

"UPDATE: SCEA has released the copyright claim against our original news update, acknowledged it was a mistake, and apologized! Being angry over internet injustice has worked wonders once again!"

"mistake" - Loool sure Sony.
To be honest, I'm surprised this game is even coming to PC. Why didn't Sony just throw money at HG for exclusivity?
Money doesn't always get you what you want ;) Hello games could have wanted the a PC verison and as the game is a console exclusive they might have been happy with that. They could also just not be willing to invest more money into getting full exclusivity because they feel that may not be the best return on their investment.

cheesekao

Sony is really dropping the ball. First they dragging their feet in making it possible to allow cross-platform play with Xbox Live despite the initial statement that they were all for it, and now deliberately and systematically destroying player's goodwill by flagging videos that fall under fair use (which should be punishable by law by now, jeez).

What's next? Cancel game projects, add microtransaction feature requirement to games else no certification, and their 1st Party games are now all Pachinko games, and 3rd party games now require a Pachinko minigame that is required to be played during game progression such as during loading screens?

I might be too negative at the moment...
Ya think?

LostDonkey

To be honest, I'm surprised this game is even coming to PC. Why didn't Sony just throw money at HG for exclusivity?

They did, Sean just told them no, if you want to help you can help market and distribute it on your system. That's it.

Sony have no claim to ownership or copyright of the game.

farisr

Glad it's getting resolved now but should've never happened in the first place. It'd be a different story if it was an automated system, but manual claims. Just plain bad.

Gestault

Is there a way to rescind strikes like this in the Youtube system? And beyond that, is there a record of improper claims by company?

This is a big "mistake" to make seeing how it was a manual claim. If this channel was on its last leg Sony would have removed them from Youtube and they would have had a hard time rallying people to get Sony to "admit their mistake."

This should not have happened and a simply apology is not enough. There needs to be reassurance that this "mistake" will not happen again to other content creators.

Purest 78

People are streaming a game before it's release date. Sony are well within their rights to take the vids down. If this happens after the release date Then it's a problem.

LostDonkey

"Two weeks later, on Christmas Eve, a tributary of the Thames overflowed in Guildford, flooding the Hello Games studio. Murray rushed over and found laptops floating in waist-deep water; tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment was destroyed. Sony’s offer of assistance remained, but Murray told me that he did not ask for funding. Unlike Hollywood, the video-game industry is marked by a vast chasm between big-budget productions and independent ones, and he had learned with Joe Danger that a small studio could easily become beholden to a distributor. Instead, he requested Sony’s help in securing a place for No Man’s Sky at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, the largest gaming trade show in America. No independently produced title had ever been featured on the main stage, but, as he recalled, “I said—and this was really cocky—‘We want to own E3.’ They were, like, ‘That’s not going to happen,’ but we pushed for it. We traded working for them for being onstage.” (Ahmad told me that the hesitation was largely logistical: “E3 takes time to plan.”)"

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/world-without-end-raffi-khatchadourian

Gestault

People are streaming a game before it's release date. Sony are well within their rights to take the vids down. If this happens after the release date Then it's a problem.

I'd recommend reading the situation the thread is discussing. All signs are pointing to this as an invalid copyright claim.

Edit: And Sony has recognized the issue:

cheesekao

This is a big "mistake" to make seeing how it was a manual claim. If this channel was on its last leg Sony would have removed them from Youtube and they would have had a hard time rallying people to get Sony to "admit their mistake."

This should not have happened and a simply apology is not enough. There needs to be reassurance that this "mistake" will not happen again to other content creators.
I've seen people say this but how permanent is it exactly? I've seen a few youtubers manage to get back their channel after it has been supposedly removed.

Top Bottom