• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Issues Manual Copyright Strikes Against YouTubers Just For Discussing No Man's S

ReaperXL7

I know it's probably not related but it's difficult to look at some of the things that Sony has been doing (things like this included) coupled with some departures of people who were pivotal in changing Sonys public face in the eyes of gamers and not be concerned about the direction they could be moving in.

I sold my PS4 as a means to start building up my funds for a PC, if I buy another once Neo releases or just get an NX for my daughter will be determined by how Sony changes after all of these recent moves.

Nictel

I'm not sure what additional information will make this look any better than it does right now.
"The third party law firm that handles takedowns was acting too strictly"

There is a difference between making mistakes and actually acting out somekind of policy or direct orders.

What is likely the result of a low level employee or a legal middleman working off a memo from before the weekend is now the return of Arrogant Sony.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I sold my PS4 as a means to start building up my funds for a PC, if I buy another once Neo releases or just get an NX for my daughter will be determined by how Sony changes after all of these recent moves.

I assume the Neo would be for the few exclusives? NX for the daughter might be the more promising route for both of you. Depending on the NX itself of course. =)

Either way, good luck with your new PC!

Mahonay

Banned
"The third party law firm that handles takedowns was acting too strictly"

There is a difference between making mistakes and actually acting out somekind of policy or direct orders.
Yeah it's different for sure.

The whole automated takedown system has always seemed pretty shitty to me but that's a different discussion perhaps.

Boke1879

I know it's probably not related but it's difficult to look at some of the things that Sony has been doing (things like this included) coupled with some departures of people who were pivotal in changing Sonys public face in the eyes of gamers and not be concerned about the direction they could be moving in.

Please tell me what Sony has been doing? And Boyes left to work on video games. It literally has nothing to do with the direction Sony is going.

SOR5

Sony does not even own the IP, so how can they do that? So dumb.

My hypothesis is if the video has a

PS-Buttons-Transparent_zpse2050038.png

or a

playstation-icon.png

Its all theirs, Im likely to be magnificently wrong though

Orayn

Given the likelyhood that this was just someone overzealously filing copyright claims and not some order from on high, it absolutely could.

Sorry we accidentally manually intentionally put a permanent black mark on your YouTube account for doing nothing wrong.

Boke1879

what else have they done?

Nothing. People are projecting or they are waiting for the next big video game "GOTCHA" moment. I mean this isn't a good look by any means, but I have the rationale to believe that this was a mistake and not some order to censor NMS talk.

Cmagus

Sony does not even own the IP, so how can they do that? So dumb.

They don't but didn't they put a lot of money into this game? I read somewhere that they backed these guys quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC delay at this point is so Sony could have a few days of exclusive. I mean people are legit double buying and cancelling PC orders because of the delay.

If sony is giving low level employees access to copy right claims they may be very arro.. i mean ignorant..
It wouldn't be out of the norm for a large corporation to delegate monotonous work like scouring sites for copyright violations to low level employees or even outsourcing the work.

And with all large corporations there was he communication breakdowns between multiple levels.

Boke1879

Man, the amount drama surrounding this game is insane

Eh it's either people wanting this game to do well or people wanting this game to fail that viciously come out in these threads. There's a day one patch that adds/tunes things. And then this news today is about the only real drama outside of the game being delayed and people wanting to kill Sean or Jason. So pretty much your typical day in the games industry.

Slavik81

People should really stop focusing on if/why Sony did this, and instead be concerned that ANYONE was able to DO THIS.

Getting a video removed by using the DMCA just because of a discussion that takes place on it is ludicrous.
YouTube doesn't use the DMCA process. I mean, they'll honour it if you send one, but they also have their own system that provides much weaker protections to video creators accused of infringement.

EDIT: Actually, their manual takedown notice Web form seems to have all the elements to count as a DMCA notice. It seems manual takedowns are done under the DMCA.

JayBabay

Next time they can go digital only if they are so concerned about early copies getting out because it happens all the time!

Karak

Stupid. If they follow their typical course this will be dropped upon the games release. But this kind of censorship is crazy. I am doing my own 24 hour stream for a cancer foundation and had planned ot start it early but canceled that shit asap. No way I am having my channel slammed.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Well I'm sure House or layden didn't say. "take down every NMS video." I bet this some legal team stepping in and doing this. Shit like this has happened before and it has been a mistake. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of Sony doing anything like this before.

It just again shows that youtube's system about this whole thing is crap. I mean look at Nintendo they'll take a video down at the drop of hat. We all hate it but that's just how thins work under this system.

Nintendo monetizes the video different issue entirely from a copyright strike.

The_Kid

Waiting for Sony to hit all discussion of No Man's Sky.

-NeoGAF? Shut that chamber of LIES down.

-IGN? How dare you try to review this game? You shall not speak its name

-Speaking to a friend about the game only to come home and find a cease and desist letter in the mail from Sony.

Power to the players, not the speakers!

SilentRob

Man. Poor Sean and Hello Games. These last 2 weeks were probably pure hell along with the crunch after years and years of development.

probably sony listened to all the complains from HG about early gameplay and leaks and what not. surely a mistake and hopefully it will be fixed in a timely manner

the ball is in your court sony

what else have they done?

beat the competition to a pulp along with the hopes and dreams of their warriors

edit: btw i dont know if YOSP can do something about it but it is worth a try he could speed up the process

Top Bottom