• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to release a new ps4 controller

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The battery life most certainly sucks, but I do envy those that have 5+ hours to devote to gaming in a single session. Man, I miss those days.

I'm lucky if I can get in an hour or two a day. The weekends are when I have the most free time, and even then, I don't put in a 5 hour session.

Hatty

The battery life most certainly sucks, but I do envy those that have 5+ hours to devote to gaming in a single session. Man, I miss those days.

I'm lucky if I can get in an hour or two a day. The weekends are when I have the most free time, and even then, I don't put in a 5 hour session.

Except that one time you forget to plug it in and then when you finally have a chance to play the battery lasts like twenty minutes

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have posted it before but I highly recommend this battery mod if you open up your DS4 (say to replace the sticks) or if you just really want longer life.

DIY instructions here

Battery you use for it is an ACTUAL 2000mah battery (not the fake 2000mah batteries on amazon and ebay) purchased from adafruit for $12.50 here

I've done this to two controllers and get nearly exactly double the battery life. Huge difference.
That's pretty amazing for the reason alone that there's an actual legitimate place to buy a battery that's giving you what it's printed on it. Every single battery of this kind I've seen being sold online is always some kind of fake that never has the advertised capacity. I'll be doing this battery swap, providing that it doesn't increase the controller weight too much.

Buntachan

Banned
Need help!

We have two PS4 controllers and both have problems with the analog sticks.

One has a massive problem with deadzones, and it doesn't work at all if you try to move forward, but moving left/right/down works.

The other's analog stick is also starting to have problem with deadzones.

I bought them at launch, so that's 19 months ago.

What should I do? Just buy to replace? They're too expensive.

Buntachan

Banned
I got in touch with Sony..

Angel: Ok, Sir, just to confirm, did any of those controller came with the console?
You: one did
You: the other, i bought separately
Angel: Ok, and did you purchase the protection plan for the console where the controller came with?
You: nope, i did not
Angel: Ok.
Angel: At this point, your controllers needs to be repaired, XXX, but unfortunately, both are already out of warranty and our service center does not accept controllers out of warranty.
Angel: At this point the best option is to get another controller.
Angel: And I am truly sorry for this.
You: oh wow..
You: this is really bad

Dropping another 120 bucks, 135 probably with taxes, is awful.

This is a really bad situation.

One of the biggest problems here is the broken controllers are just that, broken. They have to go into the garbage can because I won't resell broken things.

Ugh.

i have to buy a new one, because my controller lags every now and again :/
It's really annoying and pisses me off while playing Binding of Isaac (I can't count how many times I've died because of this controller lag), and I can't imagine trying to play CoD, Battlefront or Fallout with it.

Yeh its kind of annoying have such poor battery life but I have a dock and 2 controllers so its not such a huge problem for me but yes I agree, battery life does need to be improved.and I dont mean by an extra hour or 2. Go full on sony and at least triple it so it is similar to the ds3. Its definitely the weakest aspect of the ds4 along with the rubber on the sticks

RootCause

Less than three hours doesn't sound normal to me. With that said, the biggest drain is the led lights. Not sure why they didn't patch in a turn off option.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah unfortunately if you want to be able to use PS4 controllers wirelessly, then you need to own 2 and swap them out.

The "just play plugged in" people are weirdos. Defeats the purpose of a wireless controller.

Putting the cheapest battery possible and have a glaring LED light that 95% of PS4 owners will never use in a expensive product that costs $64.99 defeats the purpose of a wireless controller.

For what it's worth.... Mine (bought in November last year so not a launch model) lasts a solid 5 hours, maybe more.... I get 3 day weekends right now, and I basically play the exact same schedule every week for a few months now, and I basically sit down to play at 11-12 and I don't get my battery low warning until at least the 5-6AM. I know because it's always once dawn begins to turn into twilight.

The thumbsticks are not all that good quality though. It rubbed down to smooth rather fast... It hasn't 'broken' or cracked, flaked, etc like some gaffers posted sshots of -- it just wore down to a smooth slippery surface. When I'm playing third-person shooters, I'll sometimes use a paper towel to dry their surface a bit such to make sure they're as dry and not slippery as possible. Worst than my DS3 thumbsticks which are 3 years old.

Far superior controller in terms of ergonomics... But really wish the thumbstick didn't wear down to fast. I tried a brand new DS4 recently and it's crazy how much more tactile the brand new surface is. Probably just have to buy a new DS4 every 1-2 years lol if I'm playing shooters online but even just for trying to do challenging SP stuff in GTA V or MGS V, it's already a bit low quality.

Top Bottom