• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Next (major) PS4 Firmware Update is “Not Too Far Out"

Purest 78

No way in hell they do this. Both consoles will have more memory available over time due to compression of the OS footprints, but I don't see them ever getting rid of the reserve. Need that space for instant switching to the Netflixs of the world.

No I meant don't waste anything on none gaming features. I want as much of cpu reserves to go to devs as possible.

lefantome

DLNAA
Media player
Custom backgrounds
Friend notifications
Custom folders
Trophies auto sync

I want no less that that. I'm tired of waiting.

Wishes:
- 1080p video recording
- png screenshots
- suspend/resume
- 4k video support
- ps1 and ps2 emulation

androvsky

DLNA is my personal most wanted feature. I have a 2TB HDD full of films that I want to watch on my TV, not my laptop screen. C'mon, Sony, do the right thing. Custom backgrounds would be nice, sure, but give us something practical like DLNA. That, or suspend/resume.
I keep seeing a ton of requests for DLNA, but no mentions Plex. I get that not everyone wants it bad enough to pay for the beta subscription, but at some point I start to suspect there's a lot of people that don't know about it.

I just want the option to hide various icons, especially those video streaming services i will never use.

Yeah and then folders or atleast the option to rearrange the game icons. And friend notifications.

Otherwise i'm pretty ok with the UI/OS. Couldn't care less about DLNA or suspend and resume.

Oppo

DLNAA
Media player
Custom backgrounds
Friend notifications
Custom folders
Trophies auto sync
trophy sync.. is this really a big deal, I think not. it's way better than it was on PS3, who cares if it's up to the minute. i agree with the rest.

Wishes:
- 1080p video recording
- png screenshots
- suspend/resume
- 4k video support
- ps1 and ps2 emulation
I believe it does record in 1080p, but the uploads are 720p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. edit -nm, looks like it is 720p. bleh.

Also 4k will be added for playback, I'm certain; they can flash update existing units for that.

If I had one not-often-mentioned wish, I'd simply want the Library on the left, instead of the right side. That would be a small change that would feel like a big difference, IMO.

gruenel

I believe it does record in 1080p, but the uploads are 720p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also 4k will be added for playback, I'm certain; they can flash update existing units for that.

It's still 720p30 if you copy the video directly from the HDD, so I guess you're wrong.

Zedox

That's true, but then you have Greenberg tweeting stuff like this.

It is true that devs have to make use of the API for games to have improvements. The problem is that people think that when they release DX12, that games are automatically coded for it and you get a better performing game for free. It's going to take time for DX12 to show it's "power" on XBO.

DryvBy

I wouldn't mind a stability update for the messaging system. After all of these months, it still runs like trash.

-said DryvBy 6 minutes ago.

phen0m24

Cant your son use his own account?

Yes. But we have 3 max leveled characters in Destiny and I don't blame him for not wanting to go through that again.

I just want to pop on and play alone or with my friends.

You can do it on ps3 and also on Xbox live. It would be great.

Symphonia

Banned
I keep seeing a ton of requests for DLNA, but no mentions Plex. I get that not everyone wants it bad enough to pay for the beta subscription, but at some point I start to suspect there's a lot of people that don't know about it.
I've heard of Plex - infact, I was tweeting them just last night - but I refuse to pay to stream my own content.

No I meant don't waste anything on none gaming features. I want as much of cpu reserves to go to devs as possible.

Of course but who doesn't?

The moment that Sony kills off those features to make a pure gaming machine is the day the PS4 dies. There is a reason these consoles don't exist as pure gaming machines. They are used a lot for streaming video and the like. Hell, one of the main reasons that PS2 became so dominant was because it was one of the first cheap DVD players.

Both MS and Sony want to make as much of the memory and CPU available as they can, but they aren't stupid. The moment you make the full reserve available is the moment you kill future opportunities.

There is a reason that you aren't running one of these divisions.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I really wish, as everyone else here it seems, that they added folders. I don't like how the games I have not played in a while "disappear". I wish they were more accessible.

FireCloud

They desperately need folders. That endless horizontal row is a nightmare for huge game libraries. Even the PS3 got that right from the near start.

While I agree with you, I don't know how useful they would be due to the current sizes of the games and the available HDD sizes.

On my PS3, I have hundreds of games installed on my 500GB HDD; PS1, PS Minis, PSN games, and digital retail games. Folders are pretty much a requirement for being able to find anything.

I've already maxed out my PS4's 500GB with a few AAA digital downloads and some smaller indy titles and PS+ stuff. I've probably got less than 30 games installed on the PS4 and I'm already having to dance around uninstalling games when I want to put something new on there.

Sure the PS3 is nearly maxed out as well but that's with probably an order of magnitude more games than what I've been able to fit on the PS4.

I would be willing to wait on folder support for some of the other things that have already been listed in this thread:
- suspend/resume
- better media support (DLNA, MP3 from the drive, etc.)
- other cool stuff we don't know about yet

NoWayOut

I wish they would add some media center like functionality plus some additional stability on top of that would be great.

thelastword

Banned
I only want;

1. DLNA
2. 1080p Streaming (high bitrate)
3. 1080p PNG screenshots
4. 1080p Video capture (high bitrate)

Anything else is gravy to be honest.

Ohhh... Allow me to delete betas and demos from my library and give me a more comprehensive sort/search option for my library across PS4/PS3/VITA.

Being vague about what's upcoming just raises expectations.

Just go ahead and plunge the stake into the heart of Suspend/Resume and let everyone stop hoping.

Akif

I wouldn't mind a stability update for the messaging system. After all of these months, it still runs like trash.

-said DryvBy 6 minutes ago.
Same here. It works fine for my friends but for me it has to be the worst messaging system in existance. A friend of mine send me two pictures, which took around 24 hours for me to receive. If I'm lucky they will take around 30 minutes.

I don't care about what fancy features they'll add next, just give me a working messaging system.

There needs to be a list of friends that you can see when they come online. Just have a menu where you can put checkmarks beside their name, not unlike how you delete multiple captures now. Anyone not in that group won't display they've joined a party.

I only want;

1. DLNA
2. 1080p Streaming (high bitrate)
3. 1080p PNG screenshots
4. 1080p Video capture (high bitrate)

Anything else is gravy to be honest.

Ohhh... Allow me to delete betas and demos from my library and give me a more comprehensive sort/search option for my library across PS4/PS3/VITA.

Lol you are getting none of those 4 things, I am sure.

Being vague about what's upcoming just raises expectations.

Just go ahead and plunge the stake into the heart of Suspend/Resume and let everyone stop hoping.
I do wonder sometimes if there's an unforeseen technical reason it'll never happen.

Theoretically it's a matter of keeping everything in RAM while the system is in Rest mode, right? Or would it write the contents of the RAM to the hard drive (like a Windows machine going into Hibernation mode)? I would think that would be too slow.

Korezo

I just wish the OS bugs get fixed. I don't how Sony has like 5 months without fixing all the Os bugs 2.0 brought, friend avatars being blank, information under games not loading stuff or loading the wrong shit.

Elandyll

Banned
1.70 hit last year on April 30th, and was then followed by 2.0 on October 28th.

Those are the two large OS updates we got in 2014.

If we get around the same dates in 2015, I guess we're on a 2x a year update program (for susbtantive content).

The Blu Ray 3D update (July 29th, part of 1.75) seemed to be either "reactive" (done at the same time the 3D update was expected for XB1) ahead of 2.0, or perhaps late if it was supposed to be in 1.70. No actual data to back this up though, just a "feeling" :)

Metfanant

Bring on the features!

I still picture Sony's firmware team as 3 japanese guys that have been locked away in some tower in Tokyo completely cut off from the rest of the known world for the past 20 years

Said tower also happens to house Polyphony Digital's game design team

Top Bottom