• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Next (major) PS4 Firmware Update is “Not Too Far Out"

predicting DLNA, friend notifications, spotify for the March update.

I can't believe friend notifications has still not been implemented.

Completely unacceptable, possibly the most basic thing to do.

ps4-friend-login-notification-feature.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'd like to see more HBO GO, notification options, suspend mode and improve stability. I am still getting occasional hangs and reboots when using rest mode. Seemingly when playing disc titles, not PSN titles.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, maybe I'll actually use my Playstation then.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am waiting for the update where my PS4 can do the following:

1. Play PS3 games
2. Play Xbox One games
3. Cook me bacon

HBO Go, please. It's the only thing I use my 360 for these days.
Pretty sure the blame for that goes to HBO. They make the app. I'd love a Dish network app too. It's on the PS3 already.

Since we're all making list, here's mine:
-Suspend/Resume. This is a must since it was promised at the announcement of the damn console. Need it before the RPG's hit.
-Fucking FOLDERS. How is this not there yet?
-Better media support. Pretty sad the PS3 is a better media player in every way. USB support for videos, please.
-1080p .png captures for photos. Not a huge deal to most people, but I know myself and other gaffers would appreciate it. Xbox has it.
-Friend notifications. Considering it took months to get the ability to pause downloads, this might take another few years.

I really wish Sony had a better firmware update team. Microsoft has updates for the Xbox One that make it a much better console literally every single month. I'm very jealous of that. They listen to feedback. I like that Sony is pushing new features like Spotify (which I love), but get the damn basics down first.

Derpyduck

Banned
When something as basic as friend notifications is listed as a big change, you've screwed up. I can't believe both new consoles launched without that simple ability. But I find it harder to believe that PS4 has been out for over a year now and it still doesn't have it. You can get notified if a friend joins someone else's party, but not when they come online. Who the heck makes those decisions?

Andrefpvs

Bring on the features!

I still picture Sony's firmware team as 3 japanese guys that have been locked away in some tower in Tokyo completely cut off from the rest of the known world for the past 20 years

Said tower also happens to house Polyphony Digital's game design team

I love this post. Not just because of the firmware team joke, but also because not enough people give Polyphony Digital shit for the horrendous game design of GT 5 and 6.

i'm not betting on suspend/resume yet. i'm guessing this will come in march to coincide with spotify, and it will include a video player of some sort, with videos on the hdd, along with mp3 support without usb drive needed. meaning custom soundtracks. friend notifications. maybe folders.

another one thing i really hope they fix is the themes. they need to be consistent across the OS. sounds from the themes, backgrounds, etc should be ubiquitous. it's really jarring to have a dynamic theme on and have the old blue background or the default flow sound effects appear on random areas of the OS.

sense

Their internet TV thing is supposed to roll out first quarter and the powers TV show starts on March 10 so some big update before that day is possible

Update 2.0 was in October.

It is now February and we don't even know what is in the next update. For a product as hot as PS4, I would expect updates every 2-3 months.

Why? What would possibly put your expectations this way? It has never been like this ever with PS4. (Or PS3 for that matter.) Wanting them every 2-3 months I get, I also want them every 2-3 months but to expect them and then get disappointment at Sony is your fault.

AwShucks

Suspend/Resume is something many clamour for but I'm actually ok without it. The PS4 boots up very fast into games imo.

As a parent, there is no way I could have done 22 hours of Rogue Legacy on the PS4. Not only due to my child wanting to mess with my PS4 remote if I am playing on the TV but because of the time it takes to shut down, boot up, load, etc. For me, suspend/resume is important as it means I could quickly play a few minutes of something then just suspend it and come back to it later or in a few minutes.

Forsete

Gold Member
Uncompressed screenshots NAO.
1080p videos, NAO.
Both mustn't be default, but selective for nerds like me who cares about this sort of important stuff.

Also, the ability to organize your library. I dont want full games mixed with demos and betas.

Yazuka

I agree with just about everything that has been said already. I'd like to see a toggle option fir trophies All, PS4, PS3, PSV.
So it would be a bit easier to navigate if you have lots of trophies.

But then again I'd like to see something similar to the PS4 store, when it comes to the download list.

barit

Vita update you say? Maybe then I could play MGS HD without those annoying crashes and freezes! Would be too sweet

And for the PS4 idk if I want a major FW update so soon. Always fearing to brick the damn console with Sony's updates lol

mike4001_

Maybe the next thing is just 2.1. which introduces Spotify and the already teased friends notification.

I am actually not expecting Suspense&Resume or DLNA before the 3.0 update, and I don´t think this will come just yet.

androvsky

PLEX has a native app on the PS4... (or does it just redirect to the browser?)
It's a native app, problem is they're stuck with the codecs Sony supplies so the codec support is about the same at the moment. Interface is way better though.

edit: For clarification, the server will transcode pretty much anything it has to and direct stream what it can, it's like having PS3Mediaserver with a decent UI on the client end.

Felspawn

PLEX has a native app on the PS4... (or does it just redirect to the browser?)

Plex has a native app for the PS4....... which only works if you pay $$ to subscribe to Plex's Service.

OR

you can go to the PS4's web browser and run the media server from within it. works great. Here is a link

Ploid 3.0

Probably not much but MS is still trying to sell it as a game changer and people eat it up.

It will change a ton for PC gamers, almost nothing but maybe new tools, shader tech and such for xbox. Nvidia has been gearing up for 12 by adding things to their drivers and it really improved my performance having a old AMD cpu.

Sony will continue to improve it's tools just like Microsoft xbox division.

Top Bottom