• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now owns the Sunset Overdrive IP.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sunset Overdrive flopped didn't it? How is this a blow to Xbox exactly?

I understand some people were calling for a sequel, but overall the game did terribly. I couldn't bring myself to play through it all honestly.

So back then people made fun of the fact that the game flopped, but now celebrate the fact Sony owns what is, as of right now, a flop IP? Help me out here.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Sunset Overdrive flopped didn't it? How is this a blow to Xbox exactly?

I understand some people were calling for a sequel, but overall the game did terribly. I couldn't bring myself to play through it all honestly.

So back then people made fun of the fact that the game flopped, but now celebrate the fact Sony owns what is, as of right now, a flop IP? Help me out here.

Maybe because when the argument came up that Xbox doesn't have enough good exclusives, you would always hear, "Cuphead, Ori and Sunset Overdrive".

Now two of those were forced to go multi-platform to find an audience and the third is now owned by Sony.

FranXico

Maybe because when the argument came up that Xbox doesn't have enough good exclusives, you would always hear, "Cuphead, Ori and Sunset Overdrive".

Now two of those were forced to go multi-platform to find an audience and the third is now owned by Sony.
None of them is playable on a Playstation though. :D

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Shit, not from me...Cuphead is decent, Ori is fantastic, but Sunset Overdrive? No.

Edit:
What do you mean...forced? I'm concerned about the words you decide to use to explain the reasons Cuphead or Ori went multiplat. Please explain.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm curious. Most posters here who played it say it's good fun. What is it you didn't like about it?
It was like Tony Hawk with guns. I think it's just a personal opinion but I've owned the game since day one and barely got 10 hours into the game. I came back to it year or so after I originally bought it after seeing people rave about it. It just didn't sit well with me. I guess I just don't like that kind of game. Just like on PS4, people are all about Ratchet and Clank...I just don't get. It's not a opinion meant to be representative of the majority of players. It's my own take on it, that's all.

In my last message I was just trying to point out that it seems hypocritical that people celebrate Sony garnering an IP that they shitted on previously. Now that Sony owns Insomniac and subsequently Sunset Overdrive IP, my question is why is this something to celebrate or as some people are twisting this in this thread, throwing it in Xbox gamers face.

It's childish, honestly.

Ar¢tos

I know it has some sort of rail sliding and that there is shooting in it. That sums up my knowledge of the game.
I'll YT it later to see what it is about.
But the game is already up to this gen standards, porting it to PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4 would be a small effort and there are 90m potential buyers out there, I think Sony would only have to gain in releasing a "remaster".

mejin

There is no time for Sunset right now. I'll bet there is a new Ratchet coming first and then, Spider sequel.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There is no time for Sunset right now. I'll bet there is a new Ratchet coming first and then, Spider sequel.
I wonder what they can do with Spiderman. I liked that they use the batman style fighting but when I played it I got past the part where you encounter all the villians. The challenge by that time was near nil for me. I had I become bored and I still haven't finished Spiderman but this has been a problem ever since Spiderman 2 on Xbox and PS2. This could probably be a thread on it's own but I would love to see them really reach into the alternate universes of Spiderman. A game based on some of the suits you can earn in the game would be refreshing. I mean it doesn't even have to be the whole game, just make it part of a traditional line story with some clever transitions or something.

Mass Shift

I don't even think MS cares about it. They were seemingly in no rush to fund a sequel.

But that is not a slight against Insomniac or the game, just their direction and pattern all gen long.

Well my point was to see if Sony or even Insomniac cared about it. Insomniac was on record last year saying that didn't want to take the time to patch it for the X1X with all of their focus being on Spiderman.

Just wondering if MS actually made the offer, would Sony say take it or would Insomniac protest?

Last edited:

NahaNago

Honestly my first reaction on hearing this new was "okay"/:messenger_neutral:. Rerelease it on PS5 with some dlc and shinier graphics near the start of the gen so a sequel could possibly be made later on in the gen. I wonder what the exclusive next gen racing game for PS5 will look like.

EDMIX

Its not just about convincing Xbox/PC owners to get a PS5, Sony has to convince PS4 owners to upgrade. Putting this game on PS4 does nothing to convince that 100m+ install base to upgrade. Its an easy title to fill the early droughts that every console.

Trust me, this isn't the title that would "convince" anyone to get a PS5, a title already on XB and PC? Soooooo it makes more sense for them to just bank on the PS4 install base with a port. They don't need a last gen port to convince anyone to buy a PS5, they likely already have a line up of PS5 titles ready by their other studios as this title makes little sense to ONLY port to PS5. If they want to make money, they need to have it on PS4 as the title is already old, people have already played it on XB and PC and its only job for them should be to move lots of units, not used to get someone to buy a PS5 as its a last gen port.

They might have God Of War 2, Horizon 2, Bloodborne 2 etc as to why folks should buy a PS5.

Mass Shift

But “Xbox has no games”

I know. I get a chuckle every time someone uses that quote.

It's like watching people using a Jedi mind trick on themselves.

tumblr_mk8hh7en9l1r7uqj6o1_500.gif

They might give this IP to some random developer to port to PS5 but with more multiplayer modes influenced by Splatoon.

Oh and maybe get that rating lowered to T for kiddos.

Top Bottom