• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

nice updates Verendus! much appreciated.

I said since platinuming Infamous second son, all they need is bigger/more/better and this would GOTY material. To release something that close to launch with such polish, I was pretty amazed at what they were able to do. I really can't wait for their next game, whether it's a new IP or another Infamous. I think they are really going to give ND and GG a run for the money in who's the best studio.

I have a soft spot for The Last Guardian since Ico/SotC are party of my favorite games of all time. So nothing really is higher than that. But take the blinders off for a second, and Sucker Punch is what I'm waiting for, along with SFV or course.

Also, how the heck did those studios mess up Socom and Warhawk franchises? Playing those games at their prime, I figured for sure they would be around forever...so silly

ILoveBish

When is sony going to buy bloody roar and turn it into a AAA exclusive franchise to headline at evo? I know scea is full of fgc lovers. What is the delay.

When is sony going to buy bloody roar and turn it into a AAA exclusive franchise to headline at evo? I know scea is full of fgc lovers. What is the delay.
They could just make a better and higher budget All star game instead.

Omnistalgic said:
I think they are really going to give ND and GG a run for the money in who's the best studio.
lol when did GG become the top studio? It's Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Media Molecule, and Polyphony Digital as the top tier. GG is next to Sucker Punch at the level below.

vypek

Seems so rare to hear people talk about this since I feel like I'm one of very few people who actively thinks about this game.

Who has Bloody Roar now? The original company is out of business, right? I don't think it would become a AAA product though.

Sucker punch is an amazing studio. Their games are simply fun to play. Sly and infamous are both awesome franchises. I realize second son was on the repetitive side but here's the thing...I had a ton of fun blasting my way through the city with what I consider to be one of the best, most fluid, tightest controlling open world games I've ever played, and that was basically a launch game.
Couldn't be more hyped for their next game.

Mifune

Mehmber
Sucker punch is an amazing studio. Their games are simply fun to play. Sly and infamous are both awesome franchises. I realize second son was on the repetitive side but here's the thing...I had a ton of fun blasting my way through the city with what I consider to be one of the best, most fluid, tightest controlling open world games I've ever played, and that was basically a launch game.
Couldn't be more hyped for their next game.

So true. Second Son is pure fun from start to finish. The side activities are slight but only exist to give you some more fun beating and shooting, and aren't there to pad things out.

viHuGi

Banned
Well, safe to say guy is legit.

i will believe him, at least i have something to be hyped up until those conferences.

Now just bring me Nathan Collection, Blops 3 and Bloodborne DLC and im fine for 2015.

Toro

Banned
Edit: added some more studios to the 2nd Party List - rest will follow later (i know i'm slow)
You really are ;) The three first party studios I've already mentioned are still missing. And you are still using Sony Santa Monica's old old old logo.

viHuGi

Banned
You really are ;) The three first party studios I've already mentioned are still missing. And you are still using Sony Santa Monica's old old old logo.

He is doing a great job and with out help saying things he forgot, even better.

Loving the thread and the updates we go from OP and Verendus, very good.

lol, suddenly FF7 Remake was obvious? C'mon man.

Trust me. I really can't see how anyone can say that when that rumour thread just before E3 was full of people laughing at the mere thought of a remake happening. Dat revisionist history just to discredit Verendus. Are people that annoyed by him?

lol when did GG become the top studio? It's Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Media Molecule, and Polyphony Digital as the top tier. GG is next to Sucker Punch at the level below.
GG on a technical level is an important studio for Sony, should have clarified I meant graphical.

Also seems to be dying down, but Verendus told me months before Ken was in initial roster in SFV when it was heavily speculated he was out. I don't know that guy's disposition or what, but that was a lot of effort to discredit someone. For all these small little tidbits of he wasn't 'right' or this didn't turn out like he said, you gloss over a lot that he did get right as coincidences and common sense. Even if you are just a naturally skeptical person, you gave the man like zero credit lol, it's almost impossible to take your post seriously.

GnawtyDog

Banned

Toro, you're missing transparency on your avatar? You should know first hand that photoshopping takes time? Let the man work those skills....

Z8OF3BH.png

i'm not really a fan or follower of the ffs series, but I certainly did not see it coming.
No one seen it coming. People wanted it bad, no one believed it would actually happen. Think about how long ago that ps3 demo came out with cloud jumping out the train, that's how long FF7R has been speculated, no one thought it would actually come out.u

viHuGi

Banned

What? Sucker Punch is important studio, not below the others.

It's my most awaited game tbh.

Yeah, but he hinted at its project name (Project Beast), gameplay features and settings in earlier posts. He didn't just say that FS were working on a PS exclusive.
That wasn't Verendus.

Verendus is fun for the hype. He's also hilariously self-aware, and has been pretty open about the fact that we shouldn't take anything he says at face value.

But he's not an insider on the level of credibility that merits the reactions I've seen in this thread
lol.gif

That wasn't Verendus.

Verendus is fun for the hype. He's also hilariously self-aware, and has been pretty open about the fact that we shouldn't take anything he says at face value.

But he's not an insider on the level of credibility that merits the reactions I've seen in this thread
lol.gif

That's pretty debatable. With Verendus, you know exactly what your getting. Just enough to get you excited but never enough to spoil the surprise. Well in most cases. I guess saying Dragon Quest is coming back to PlayStation could be considered ruining the surprise.

Plus he's been pretty consistent. Hell, I still remember his "three things everyone will be taking about" post pre-Sony E3.

I don't remember everything Verendus said first off the top of my head, but I do remember him being the only one who confirms Yakuza will be localised, even when none of us believed it and Nagoshi came out saying they're too busy for it.

ZarKryn7

Hey Verendus, Any chance you can talk about why PEGI rated Dark Chronicle, Ape Escape 2, and Twisted Metal Black for PS4?

Pretty Please?

I love Verendus. I mean he also trolls a lot but I'd say a lot of his leaks have been true so far, it is just that they take a lot of time. He has been right on a lot of accounts and might have been wrong, but IMO his leaks have been more right than wrong so far. The thing is, people just need to be patient.

Like look at his leak from 2013

http://neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=65162306&postcount=335

Beside the SCEJ JRPG#2, the rest of them have all been revealed at one point or another. SSM new IP was confirmed to be cancelled in 2014. It was supposedly another ambitious sci-fic game that was similar to Destiny, and this was one of the reason it was cancelled. SCEJ JRPG#1 melting hardcore fits the criteria of Bloodborne, and it has sold more than 2 million so far proving that it was a successful project.

FF VII Remake was another big prediciton/leak of his that he always claimed was in the works. Even in a thread where Kitase outright said they don't have any plans, he was clear that it will be announced. We had to wait for a few years but we finally saw it getting announced at E3 2015. Basically this was the turning point which made me a believer. <3 Verendus

Tratorn

lol, suddenly FF7 Remake was obvious? C'mon man.

Please re-read what I exactly said about that. It wasn't obvious that it would happen now at E3 2015, but imo it was bound to happen in the future, even when it wasn't on PS4. "FF7R is coming" is something many people said (it was already a "joke" in a forum like GAF when there was a new rumour about it), so he was just another person. If he'd have said, 2015 will be the year of FF7R, that would have been more noteworthy. But "a FF7R is coming" is so unspecific, it's just something many people would put in a list, if they'd pretend to know a lot of stuff.

My criticism was exactly about this. His "leaks" that are coming true, are just like "Big/Known IP => new game is coming". The more unusual stuff has not happened yet or is still years away according to him.

But I'll give him some plus points now for this:

I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142521175&postcount=2035

That's finally a bit more specific and not something everyone would talk about. And even when FFVII was their baby, the main people behind the remake could still have been some other people.

I'll give another example of what I mean:

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New Prince of Persia
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP

So if for example DMC5, a new SC, new Rockstar IP, PoP etc. would be announced, would you say then that Verendus leaked that? Sorry, but for me that's not a leak.

On the other hand, a FFX spin off or new Shadow Hearts is something not so usual. Sure, SE made the FFX/X-2 HD-collection, but still not many people would think that a new spin off is coming just because of that. I''ll be one of the first people who will post "good job, verendus" in the anouncement thread, if that happens. I swear.
But again: These didn't happen yet, like the other unusual stuff from him.
And some more bold predictions I mentioned already like "FF16 announcement in 2014/2015" were even wrong.

Since he claims to know all these projects (he even saw FF7R with his own eyes), he must be really deep in all this stuff. So why can't he be just a bit more specific about at least one game that's getting announced soon. For example the two JRPGs. No need to leak everything about them, just some hints about the look of the main char, a name of a city or the subtitle of the game, nothing more. That's exactly what shinobi did with Horizon. GG's Horizon was a fresh unknown IP and he leaked some specific stuff like the project name or the "red-haired girl" as the protagonist. That's nothing what brings anyone's job in danger, but still is on point and noone could've guessed it without exactly knowing about it.

Verendus is teasing games like that instead:

Sucker Punch - They don't make excessively long games. It's also going to be visually amazing; you can tell that already. I like how the gameplay is shaping up. Kind of cinematic.
Benders - Covers my favourite genre, and also adds elements of another genre I love. Has the kind of mechanics that I now largely prefer in my games. Nice artstyle. Kind of cinematic. This is the one that has one thing I dislike about it, but we'll see with the end result.
Japan Studio - Uncommon artstyle. Uncommon genre (at least from WWS). Interesting looking. Different from the usual kind of games we get. Third person. Kind of cinematic.

The japan game is the only one a bit more specific, but "Uncommon artstyle" and "3rd person"? Isn't that what practically all of their games have, except for their J&Rs (they're obviously not 3rd person in the traditional way :p).

To close this, I'll quote myself:

But I never said he doesn't know anything, just much less than he's pretending to.

So here's a deal:
Since he seems to know stuff about multiple projects that'll be revealed in 2 or more years, then he should easily know something like a name/subtitle (or anything like that noone ever heared before) that will appear in the next year. Nothing else, he does not even have to say who is developing it, just a name like "New Game: Game of Forever" that will be dropped in the next year/"near" future. If he can do it, I'll gladly eat any crow you guys will serve me.

Btw. I probably wouldn't even have said something if he'd be one of the "silent" leakers. With that I mean people who just leak stuff and do not care if people believe them or not. But Verendus isn't really like that, he wants the people to say that he knows all this stuff. At least he commented to some people in the past when they said he was wrong or that they do not believe him. That's why I asked him to earn this "trust" with things, really noone have heared about before (that shouldn't be too hard with the knowledge he has about the new IPs).

Sorry for another (long) post, but I didn't want to get my previous post derailed by an one-liner, that wasn't exactly showing the whole picture of what I said.

Edit:

>> Image <<
The only explanation.

Now that would be a good explanation. ;)

One question, do you want to get Verendus fired or forced to quit Gaf like Aqua?

You know very well all these insiders have to be very vague about leaking stuff to be untraceable obviously if he would leak a subtitle of a game don't you think Sony would trace him to that particular studio or something, sure he knows stuff about all studios, he probably made friends or contacts since they all work for the same company/branch and that's why he knows things but to want more info, that is the problem. He gave you your hints, now you will take them as so and wait for their appropriate reveals and then all of us will find you and quote you and you will eat the crow you so betted on.

Please stop trying to derail this thread even further, this is the 3rd thread JuanLatino has tried to make about Sony's projects and it would be horrible for him to get it locked again because of this interrogation of yours.

Please stop trying to derail this thread even further, this is the 3rd thread JuanLatino has tried to make about Sony's projects and it would be horrible for him to get it locked again because of this interrogation of yours.

Srsly, if that Tratorn dude wants to talk about Verendus and other insiders he could just make his own thread about it and have fun there. He's (still) a Member after all.

I like the way you think. Unfortunately the IP belongs to Konami, and seeing as how they're in full-on asshole mode right now, there's no way they'd sell the Bloody Roar rights to Sony at a reasonable price. And even so, unlike something like Crash Bandicoot, Sony have no real valid reason to buy up the Bloody Roar IP. It'd be massively random for them to make a maneuver like that, given all the other comatose franchises out there that have strong PlayStation connections.

I still dream of a new AAA Bloody Roar though. Still so much potential to be had there, in the right hands.

we1z4LY.jpg

The only explanation.

Holy shit, it all makes sense. Hidden in plain sight!

I remember Verendus did said after that 4 weeks Famitsu special leading up to Dragon Quest XI reveal that their are total 5 Dragon Quest Projects for PS4 an only two were revealed so far at that point they were Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Heroes II.

Then after weekly reveals leading up to Dragon Quest main event when DQXI was announced for PS4/3DS two more games were announced for PS Platforms that nobody would've guessed one was DQX:Online and DQ Builders.

orochi91

Verendus is awesome, keep them WWS updates coming.

Sony should have a blog that keeps updates on WWS projects and their status, as it would save gamers a lot of guess work.

Verendus is Kaz Hirai.

lol, if only.

Chill dude, soon we will know if he stands correct.

Tratorn is on a mission :3

Not sure why though, Verendus would have been banned quite some time ago for peddling false info.

viHuGi

Banned
Verendus is awesome, keep them WWS updates coming.

Sony should have a blog that keeps updates on WWS projects and their status, as it would save gamers a lot of guess work.

Tratorn is on a mission :3

Not sure why though, Verendus would have been banned quite some time ago for peddling false info.

Agreed!!

I would definitely be on board for this. Bit more emphasis on Kat, a character from Bloodborne (maybe have a throwback to Bloody Roar by having their special power to be to transform into a beast?), Atoi/Iota, Joel feat. Ellie, and so on as the new characters.

What? Sucker Punch is important studio, not below the others.

Critically and commercially I think Sucker Punch are a little below Sony's top studios. However, I thought Second Son was great and if they're allowed to stretch their wings a little I think their next game could be legitimately excellent. Get rid of the useless guest characters (although I'd be happy if they kept Raiden), get some proper classic PS characters like Cloud, Lara and Crash and we're onto a winner.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169350163&postcount=13930

Said it's still unannounced
Ah, so I wonder out of jrpg 1 and 2 which one that internally developed jrpg is supposed to be.

I imagine one of them will be a Japan Studios internal development and the other will be the Level-5 game.

Srsly, if that Tratorn dude wants to talk about Verendus and other insiders he could just make his own thread about it and have fun there. He's (still) a Member after all.

With the kind of hints Verendus gives he must have been vetted by Bish, which for me as solid confirmation that he is an insider.

I like the way you think. Unfortunately the IP belongs to Konami, and seeing as how they're in full-on asshole mode right now, there's no way they'd sell the Bloody Roar rights to Sony at a reasonable price. And even so, unlike something like Crash Bandicoot, Sony have no real valid reason to buy up the Bloody Roar IP. It'd be massively random for them to make a maneuver like that, given all the other comatose franchises out there that have strong PlayStation connections.

If Sony were to buy a fighting game franchise I'd quite like to see Bushido Blade make a comeback. Always liked the concept and I'd like it to have been expanded upon. Looks like it's Square Enix who owns the IP, although I don't think they've done anything with it in a long time.

Chobel

I'll give another example of what I mean:

So if for example DMC5, a new SC, new Rockstar IP, PoP etc. would be announced, would you say then that Verendus leaked that? Sorry, but for me that's not a leak.

On the other hand, a FFX spin off or new Shadow Hearts is something not so usual. Sure, SE made the FFX/X-2 HD-collection, but still not many people would think that a new spin off is coming just because of that. I''ll be one of the first people who will post "good job, verendus" in the anouncement thread, if that happens. I swear.

If you're bringing that list why not bring up the original list.
JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy spin-off RPG
New SE console RPG IP
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New EA IP
New Ubisoft IP
New Prince of Persia
New Naval RPG
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP

The bolded ones are not in your list because now we know what they are, all revealed in E3:

Final Fantasy spin-off RPG = The World of Final Fantasy
New SE console RPG IP = Project Setsuna
Square Enix crossover game = Nier 2
New EA IP = Unravel
New Ubisoft IP = For Honor
New Naval RPG = Sea of Thieves

Top Bottom