• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I disagree. GAF is generally very positive when something's genuinely exciting. But that's not going to apply to absolutely everything.

There is tons of attacking people for their opinions/being cynical about games and the industry/console wars, etc. I like coming here and enjoy GAF a lot, but I'm surprised you think it's "generally very positive".

Elfstruck

I disagree. GAF is generally very positive when something's genuinely exciting. But that's not going to apply to absolutely everything.

GAF is very positive? The comments in the closed Scorpio and ME thread are downright embarrassing. Pretty close to gamefaq level.

A visit to any Ubisoft thread is enough to see GAF's true colors in regards to how cynical a majority of members can be sometimes.

I'm really hoping we get the Dreams beta over the summer. I just have the urge to create right now.

tbh it's hard to be super hyped about everything all the time. especially when something as jank as andromeda is sitting right in front of your face lol

No need to get super hyped. People can just choose not to interact with subjects that inherently don't interest them beyond the joy they get out of shitting on it.

Zukkoyaki

Majority of the time yes but GAF's dark side really shows up in certain thread topics and man, it isn't pretty. Topics like Xbox as of late, Mass Effect, Ubisoft, threads about exclusives and of course review threads.

Thankfully this thread has remained terrific even though we haven't had much to talk about since PSX.

KORNdoggy

No need to get super hyped. People can just choose not to interact with subjects that inherently don't interest them beyond the joy they get out of shitting on it.

So create echo chambers then? The thing shinobi left because of? Hmmm, interesting take on the situation i guess. Lol.

So create echo chambers then? The thing shinobi left because of? Hmmm, interesting take on the situation i guess. Lol.

You can have critical discourse without it having to devolve in an 80 page thread literally gleefully shitting on a game's animation. Or having a positive impression of someone actually playing the game being slandered as astroturfing. Or having everything culminate into the harassment of an animator that didn't even work on the game.

It's kinda sad that positivity, giving the benefit of the doubt, or actual thoughtful discourse are considered the echochamber these days, and that the immediate and incessant toxic negativity in every single and solitary Mass Effect thread is apparently how it should be.

Anyway, sorry for straying off topic.

You can have critical discourse without it having to devolve in an 80 page thread literally gleefully shitting on a game's animation. Or having a positive impression of someone actually playing the game being slandered as astroturfing. Or having everything culminate into the harassment of an animator that didn't even work on the game.

It's kinda sad that positivity, giving the benefit of the doubt, or actual thoughtful discourse are considered the echochamber these days, and that the immediate and incessant toxic negativity in every single and solitary Mass Effect thread is apparently how it should be.

Anyway, sorry for straying off topic.
Exactly this. You can dislike something and still maintain critical thought and discussion of it. People were talking about Shinobi lying just to build hype for the game. All because he liked Mass Effect Andromeda. That is nothing short of nonsense and it needs to be called out.

I don't blame Shinobi at all for leaving/going on hiatus/coming here less.

But yeah, how about that Spider-Man?

FelipeMGM

But yeah, how about that Spider-Man?

the dream is dead

C8g6H6fXgAEljB5.jpg:large

I never bought it anyway tho

Zukkoyaki

So he left because people were making fun of Mass Effect animations? lol
I think it's more so that many threads devolve into a circle-jerk of hate devoid of almost all actual discussion and where people who enjoy what's being blasted are shit on.

Mass Effect is just the latest significant example. It's become nearly impossible to hold a real discussion on it outside of the OT.

Majority of the time yes but GAF's dark side really shows up in certain thread topics and man, it isn't pretty. Topics like Xbox as of late, Mass Effect, Ubisoft, threads about exclusives and of course review threads.

Thankfully this thread has remained terrific even though we haven't had much to talk about since PSX.

yep HZD had the worst threads for any game i have ever seen on GAF .
At one point they were hard to read because of all the nonsense .

Back on topic i have full faith that IG will do a great spider-man game.
It's my most hype game until we get more info on TLOUP2 and FFVIIR.

So he left because people were making fun of Mass Effect animations? lol

It was a fair bit more than that... didn't help his topic on his early playtime impressions on ME:A got turned into a unnecessary mess cause he was enjoying the game.

But this is wayyy off-topic and the subject of him leaving is done and dusted, and he still updates twitter which is plenty for news.

Announcing Jak And Daxter PS2 Classics for PS4 at this period is really a good sign. Before the only way to play them is either on PS2 or on PS3/PS Vita in the HD Collection. No way to play them on PS4. This is the first time they re-release an already released series in HD Collection on previous gen as PS2 Classics to be played on PS4.

Jak And Daxter on PS4 will happen surely and it will be a sequel and not a reboot anymore. I have no doubt in that now. Now E3 will still hold some new surprises.

Just gotta look at Shinobi's last page worth of posts. Here's the last one he made:

I'm not down...it's not even solely about this game really. It's just a video game. I've had discussions with people who think the original games are shit, never bothered me. Heck I've called out a bunch of stuff in BioWare's games before that I think they could improve on.

I've just noticed the cynicism and pettiness rise over the past couple years. It's been building up, and constructive and valueable discussion waning. It's not the kind of community or group of people I like to chat up about games with. Once I start getting accused of astroturfing and junk like that, I realize what I say doesn't really mean anything. The circlejerking's gotten too large for meaningful and valuable discourse.

You all have been fun to chat with, and I've loved all the great people I've met from this site, but it's not worth it since it's become an echo chamber.

I get what he's saying. Hope he does come back, though.

In the meantime, I really enjoy this thread! Lots of us have come to love much of Sony's First Party and their collaborations, and JuanLatino did a great job organizing the OP. Looking forward to E3 in a few months!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Yeah I have the same feeling too about gamers in general...it may be because they are more vocal than the other even though there's still a lot of people here that manage to stay civil even when they express how disgruntled they can be.

But as times passes I see more those console warriors as sports fans willing to tear the other team a part, sometimes even willing for a game to fail.

I think it's stupid a game being cancelled or failling (either critically or commercialy) is always bad for the industry.

Sometime reading some post is quite depressing and especially some of its trends like Nintendoom or this wil be like no man's sky even the scorpio one is stupid (although not specifically negative)
Their overuse takes away all the meanings they had and seeing those being repeted again and again it's like fighting (Doctor Strange spoilers)
Dormammu

Boke1879

Just gotta look at Shinobi's last page worth of posts. Here's the last one he made:

I get what he's saying. Hope he does come back, though.

In the meantime, I really enjoy this thread! Lots of us have come to love much of Sony's First Party and their collaborations, and JuanLatino did a great job organizing the OP. Looking forward to E3 in a few months!

He aint wrong.

On another note. Yea E3 should be exciting. I'm expecting more news on Spiderman even if it doesn't come out this year. I assume we'll get a nice slice of gameplay. Maybe get a release date on Dreams and Detroit.

Expecting an RDR2 trailer here, Battlefront 2 trailer, COD etc. But what surprises are you guys expecting. First party or otherwise.

zsynqx

Haven't been on gaf much in the last couple of months. Why were the HZD threads so bad?

I'm terrible with gifs, but is there one of Willem Dafoe grinning and nodding from Spider-Man?

The thing about HZD is that the quality of the game is so high that when it released it silenced pretty much all 'concern trolls' who were posting about it beforehand. Some of the shit people were spewing about that game was some of the pettiest dumbest shit I've ever read (ie the 'Forestgate' guy, the dude criticising the length of Aloy's fingers). But with Andromeda there's a lot of things it does wrong that go beyond poor animation, that it's like the foot never came off the pedal regarding stuff to criticise it over. And then when you have some people going overboard with their jibes and criticism, you're going yo have others who react similarly in defending the game.

Skeeter49

Haven't been on gaf much in the last couple of months. Why were the HZD threads so bad?
We had like 3 threads in 2017 alone, dedicated to saying Horizon would be a failure, and most people in the threads seemed to agree. It was laughable at times, with Ubisoft clone, lol Killzone devs, Sony doesn't have a good track record this gen, being thrown around.

Then we had the preview thread which was a mess on its own, because of the Brom scene being in the preview, and people using that as fuel for the game being bad.

I do think there's been a lot of negatively, but part of it is learning to tune it out or not take it seriously.

MCD250

NeoGAF can definitely be an echo chamber of toxicity and negativity at times, I agree. A lot of the time it doesn't even come across as 'cynicism', per sé, but rather as sheer meanspiritedness. It gets old after a while, but I mostly try to ignore it.

Zukkoyaki

Drawn to Death would be awesome with split-screen. Could really channel nostalgia for the early console shooters like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Halo.

I'm eager to see how people take to it especially with it being free on PS+

tmac456

NeoGAF can definitely be an echo chamber of toxicity and negativity at times, I agree. A lot of the time it doesn't even come across as 'cynicism', per sé, but rather as sheer meanspiritedness. It gets old after a while, but I mostly try to ignore it.

Think that's pretty much why shinobi left. That and accusations he's being paid for positive game impressions lol

It definitely gets ugly at times and that's usually when I bail out of those threads but I think that while some of them are baseless (see: review threads and the reaction to Jim Sterling's Zelda review), a lot of the time there's a reason behind all the vitriol.

Those Xbox threads are usually created by actual Xbox fans, like Montresor, who are disappointed with the direction Microsoft has gone. Mass Effect Andromeda is the worst reviewed game in Bioware's history (yes, even worse than their Sonic RPG). Hello Games over-hyped and under-delivered. And so on, I could even understand why some would be sceptical of Horizon.

The problem is the internet is a stupid place where everyone has a hot take, hyperbole rules the day, people get joy out of shitposting and no-one considers that people like Molyneux or Murray are actual people. I do feel like it's gotten a bit worse over the last few months though, possibly because bish hung up his ban button.

But having said that, GAF's still a hell of a lot better than 99.9% of the gaming communities on the web.

Personally, I like Shinobi and I know he's a huge Mass Effect fan but it did look dodgy at times the way he was constantly trying to hype it up while clearly having contact with the developers. It's not a good look, especially when the game turned out poorly.

He aint wrong.

On another note. Yea E3 should be exciting. I'm expecting more news on Spiderman even if it doesn't come out this year. I assume we'll get a nice slice of gameplay. Maybe get a release date on Dreams and Detroit.

Expecting an RDR2 trailer here, Battlefront 2 trailer, COD etc. But what surprises are you guys expecting. First party or otherwise.
DMC5 and a new FROM exclusive will be the bombs methinks

Zukkoyaki

DMC5 and a new FROM exclusive will be the bombs methinks
I keep saying it but the fact that a game like Spider-Man PS4 exists, published by Sony and developed by Insomniac, leaves me to believe that pretty much anything is possible at E3. I mean, who would have ever guessed that?

From and DMC5 are great, rational guesses for big announcements at E3 for sure though. Though I worry we're getting to the point that we'll be disappointed if they are NOT announced haha.

I keep saying it but the fact that a game like Spider-Man PS4 exists, published by Sony and developed by Insomniac, leaves me to believe that pretty much anything is possible at E3. I mean, who would have ever guessed that?

From and DMC5 are great, rational guesses for big announcements at E3 for sure though. Though I worry we're getting to the point that we'll be disappointed if they are NOT announced haha.
Something FROM will be announced I think is a safe bet. They work hella fast. Weather it's exclusive or not is the question but that doesn't matter to me, I just want to play it

Dabi

Does Square have their own thing going on this E3? If not, it wouldn't be far fetched to get new trailers for KH3 and FFVIIR

Top Bottom