• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Skeeter49

Even if they did they would still get shown off at Sony. Well at least FF7R

More exposure
It was hilarious that a lot of the interesting Square stuff was shown at Sony's show, and Microsoft's with RoTTR, instead of their own conference.

DQ stuff would probably get attention at Squares if they had another show, then again Nintendo might eye that stuff up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
From and DMC5 are great, rational guesses for big announcements at E3 for sure though. Though I worry we're getting to the point that we'll be disappointed if they are NOT announced haha.

Every conference that's gone by without a DMC5 announcement has been a disappointment for me. I'm used to it.

My E3 hype is rising.

Would be great to get a hint of what's on the Horizon. Help me the only one Shinobi, you're my only hope.

I hope Sony starts increasing the length of their press conferences again. They went from 2 hour press conferences last gen to under 90 minute ones this gen.

DrD

I hope Sony starts increasing the length of their press conferences again. They went from 2 hour press conferences last gen to under 90 minute ones this gen.
I think Sony perfected their presentation style last E3. It was shorter than usual with little talking and back-to-back trailers, plus a live orchestra. Huge improvement compared to when they brought a guy on stage to talk about Powers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They have so many more potential games to show though, both 1st and 3rd party. It's not like Ubisoft where they have a small quantity of games and stretch it out over 2 hours.

They have so many conferences though. E3, TGS, PSX. 2016 had a Playstation Meeting and 2015 had a Paris Games Week conference.

They have so many conferences though. E3, TGS, PSX. 2016 had a Playstation Meeting and 2015 had a Paris Games Week conference.

And they're all packed with games.

I really hope they have a Gamescom conference this year though. It's really shitty they skipped over Europe entirely last year.

i-Lo

So with two of their projects now taking elements from RPGs, HZD and GoW IV, will we see this precipitate into a full fleged WRPG out of one of the studios in the near future? That genre is somewhat lacking in the "Western" side of things atm.

I've mentioned this before in this thread but I think last year's E3, whilst it didn't have as many "megatons" as less recent E3s, was probably the best conference I'd seen by them.

Loved the theatre, loved the orchestra, loved the presentation and tone.

They have so many more potential games to show though, both 1st and 3rd party. It's not like Ubisoft where they have a small quantity of games and stretch it out over 2 hours.
I don't know, I'm willing to take just a selection of games if it means the pacing we got last year. It was wonderful.

I've mentioned this before in this thread but I think last year's E3, whilst it didn't have as many "megatons" as less recent E3s, was probably the best conference I'd seen by them.

Loved the theatre, loved the orchestra, loved the presentation and tone.
Agreed.

Though, I think Spider-Man and Kojima covered the megaton portion.

DrD

So with two of their projects now taking elements from RPGs, HZD and GoW IV, will we see this precipitate into a full fleged WRPG out of one of the studios in the near future? That genre is somewhat lacking in the "Western" side of things atm.
I'd like to see Naughty Dog tackle a sci-if RPG. Rather than open world, have it in the style of Deus Ex with open ended levels and hubs that you can explore. In terms of gameplay, keep the TPS stealth formula that they have, add ways to customize your play style with different builds and a deep dialogue system that alters the story, game world, and characters through your choices.

Directed by Bruce Straley 👌

I don't know, I'm willing to take just a selection of games if it means the pacing we got last year. It was wonderful.

Agreed.

Though, I think Spider-Man and Kojima covered the megaton portion.

Yeah nothing can really match FF7R but those two were pretty megaton worthy. Plus they had a lot of games since they really went all-out on many first party exclusive things being most of the conference with third party stuff (outside of obvious big stuff like COD) being those for heavily giving VR a great push like RE7, Batman, etc.

Spider-Man is obviously huge plus it being Insomniac and absolutely no one expected Kojima to actually bring a real announcement trailer on stage until he was literally saying the words "this is all running in realtime" with everyone's jaws hitting the floor in shock LOL.

I'd like to see Naughty Dog tackle a sci-if RPG. Rather than open world, have it in the style of Deus Ex with open ended levels and hubs that you can explore. In terms of gameplay, keep the TPS stealth formula that they have, add ways to customize your play style with different builds and a deep dialogue system that alters the story, game world, and characters through your choices.

Directed by Bruce Straley ��

Yeah, man do I want to see them tackle a futuristic sci-fi setting.
I don't really think they'll do a big dialogue tree though, as that'd make their cutting edge handcrafted mo-capped/animated/acted scenes really difficult if there are too many deep variations the further into the game they'd have to create.

Shredderi

Naughty Dog doing something that isn't "grounded" would be awesome. C'mon ND, challenge yourselves? What, you don't think you could hack it? You're not good enough?
Hopefully that provoked them enough to do it.

I'd love to see a return of the 2 hour conference.

Very hard to fault their presentation last year though. A 2 hour version of it would rock.

zsynqx

Naughty Dog doing something that isn't "grounded" would be awesome. C'mon ND, challenge yourselves? What, you don't think you could hack it? You're not good enough?

Surely it's more of a challenge trying to keep things grounded, at least in terms of creating interesting mechanics.

in AAA gaming doing something grounded is probably way more challenging.

I'd love to see a return of the 2 hour conference.

Very hard to fault their presentation last year though. A 2 hour version of it would rock.

I think the reason last year's was so good was because it was trimmed a bit. E3 pressers don't strike me as needing to be much longer than that, and it really allowed them to focus on what we were all there for.

MCD250

If I recall correctly, last year's was actually a bit shorter than the usual 90 minutes, wasn't it? Like maybe an hour and fifteen or so?

HussiZooT

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Nothing will make me happier than to find out that Sony is internally developing a James Bond title and one of their WWS are working on it.

Would Sucker Punch make a good James Bond game? I mean, they did create super fun stealth gameplay for Sly Racoon, and their multi-layered story-telling worked really well with the inFAMOUS games (PS3 ones at least). And they can crank out some impressive graphics. Plus their action gameplay is bombastic to say the least.

Imagine a James Bond game where you get to make decisions that could impact the story as you progressed as well as the ending? Don't know if we've had that till now.

I am but a dreamer.

Pachimari

It's a shame. He was one of the members whose posts I always read with affection and interest because it was so evident he loved this industry. Hopefully the moderator crew takes his concern to heart and thinks about what tweaks might make this a healthier community again.
You're kidding yourself if you think they are going to do anything about it. I've been here for a decade and the echo chamber has just gotten louder and louder.

I think the reason last year's was so good was because it was trimmed a bit. E3 pressers don't strike me as needing to be much longer than that, and it really allowed them to focus on what we were all there for.

The year before that was the same length and not anywhere near as good (not that it was terrible).

eerik9000

Their E3 2017 conference needs to be longer than last year simply because they have a bunch of big third party partnerships that want their spot on the stage: COD, Destiny 2, Battlefront II and probably Red Dead Redemption 2. Not to mention they have to show a lot of their own games too. 100 mins at least.

Their E3 2017 conference needs to be longer than last year simply because they have a bunch of big third party partnerships that want their spot on the stage: COD, Destiny 2, Battlefront II and probably Red Dead Redemption 2. Not to mention they have to show a lot of their own games too. 100 mins at least.

If they are doing Gamescom this year I can see some of their first/second party games not getting stage time. Mainly Dreams and Gran Turismo, maybe Detroit. GoW, Spider Man, Sucker Punch and Days Gone are the only locks I think.

F4r0_Atak

I hope the rumor about Sucker Punch going multiplatform is not true.That would be sad... if it turns out true I want to know why. It's not like their games were not selling... :(

Here's a quote from their current website:

SuckerPunch.com said:
In 2011 we were acquired by Sony, and we’re pretty much the counter example to the typical horror stories about turbulent and destructive relationships with publishers and producers. If you want that sort of drama, look somewhere else. We currently develop games exclusively for the PlayStation 4 and we concentrate on a single IP at a time. Single platform + single IP gives us the ability to really focus, and to produce quality games of the highest level.

Fun fact – every game we’ve ever made with Sony, including our smaller/downloadable titles, have been profitable and paid profit sharing to our employees.

F4r0_Atak

LOL, what rumour? You mean that made up list from some random Costarican site? Sucker Punch is owned by Sony.

I know I know... but so was Evolution Studios. Luckily, the studio was not exactly closed completely rather sold to Codemasters (multiplatform publisher). Where there is smoke, there is fire. It doesn't look like the kind of thing they could have pull out of their a**.

eerik9000

I know I know... but so was Evolution Studios. Luckily, the studio was not exactly closed completely rather sold to Codemasters (multiplatform publisher). Where there is smoke, there is fire. It doesn't look like the kind of thing they could have pull out of their a**.

Evolution was not sold to Codemasters, it was shut down. Codemasters just hired the people that lost their jobs.

So it's more likely that some random site got access to the entire E3 slate of practically every 1st and 3rd party publisher (except Nintendo)?

It was a dumb wishlist littered with nonsense and fanboy hopes.

Trevelyan

Banned
No, Evolution Studios was definitely shuttered by Sony, Codemasters just happened to take on a good number of employees after the closure.

F4r0_Atak

Evolution was not sold to Codemasters, it was shut down. Codemasters just hired the people that lost their jobs.

Sorry, must have misread... Whenever I saw an article about Evolution Studio, people were referring the team who worked there as the studio's name instead of saying "the developers of ..."

No, Evolution Studios was definitely shuttered by Sony, Codemasters just happened to take on a good number of employees after the closure.

That what I understood after re-reading some of those articles... must have misread them in the first place.

So it's more likely that some random site got access to the entire E3 slate of practically every 1st and 3rd party publisher (except Nintendo)?

It was a dumb wishlist littered with nonsense and fanboy hopes.

Sure it looked fake as hell. Most of the games were already rumored to be appearing at E3 anyway. Although, these games seemed like safe assumptions/bets to whoever created the list. Didn't seem like a wishlist to me, more like the average Joe's educated guesses based on the available rumors of upcoming games. The only thing that stood out/felt off to me was Sucker Punch showing a multiplatform project.

Where is that list?? Give me the link please.thanks
Juegos%20ocnfimrados%201.png
Juegos%20ocnfimrados%202.png

Juegos%20ocnfimrados%203.png
Juegos%20ocnfimrados%204.png
Tekken X Street Fighter automatically invalidates this list.

No way is Namco showing it just when Tekken 7 comes out on consoles. That's assuming it's still even in development.

If they are doing Gamescom this year I can see some of their first/second party games not getting stage time. Mainly Dreams and Gran Turismo, maybe Detroit. GoW, Spider Man, Sucker Punch and Days Gone are the only locks I think.

I don't think Days Gone is even a lock. I don't think a trailer could really help it stand out now that The Last of Us Part 2 is revealed and there's so many other titles with higher priority for demos. At least 2 out of 3 (or possibly all 3) of Call of Duty, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 will have a demo. Spider-Man will likely have a demo. Sucker Punch's game will probably have a demo. I think God of War will get a story trailer instead of a demo but it's more likely to get another demo than Days Gone. Even if they're not doing Gamescom I don't think Gran Turismo (least sure out of these), Detroit or Knack 2 will be in their press conference. Dreams will I think be in there VR segment.

vivekTO

No way is Namco showing it just when Tekken 7 comes out on consoles. That's assuming it's still even in development.

Thanks!!

Ya'll with this list - Sucker Punch is not making an Xbox One game. lol

But what about smoke and fire... This is really not going to happen , and that too just like out of nowhere.Although can't wait for the articles to make round on internet about sucker punch going Multiplatform.

So, this is the website

http://up2play.com/otras-noticias/334-lista-de-juegos-confirmados-para-e3-2017-te-esperabas-alguno

But they aren't the source, they link to this site as the source for the claim

https://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/e3-2017-the-big-list-of-confirmed-games/

And it has the Project Oscar game being listed as a PS4 game only. So, even if it is true, the original source apparently never said it was multiplatform.

So, this is the website

http://up2play.com/otras-noticias/334-lista-de-juegos-confirmados-para-e3-2017-te-esperabas-alguno

But they aren't the source, they link to this site as the source for the claim

https://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/e3-2017-the-big-list-of-confirmed-games/

And it has the Project Oscar game being listed as a PS4 game only. So, even if it is true, the original source apparently never said it was multiplatform.
*likely to appear at E3
wtf lol

Top Bottom