• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Rymuth

Tekken X Street Fighter automatically invalidates this list.

No way is Namco showing it just when Tekken 7 comes out on consoles. That's assuming it's still even in development.
Does anybody know what the * stands for here?

Edit: aaah, got it. Means it'll be at E3. This would be lol-worthy if it wasn't so sad.

vivekTO

Uncharted The Last Legacy, Man naughty dog can't really left behind uncharted series behind can they. I mean they didn't even release the lost legacy and they were going to announce Last legacy. SMH.

Does anybody know what the * stands for here?
Animals were harmed in extracting the sources, likely 100% confirmed.

Some Nobody

No way is Namco showing it just when Tekken 7 comes out on consoles. That's assuming it's still even in development.

It's in development until it isn't. And TxSF definitely isn't the red flag on a list that has "Batman 2017", "Avengers Project" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" along with "Cyberpunk 2077".

Those are massive, glaring red flags that all tell me this list is fake. CP2077 should only be there if the game is coming out next year. S-E said they have no intentions of showing us any of their Marvel stuff til next year sometime, and Batman supposedly just started production mid-last year.

Also there's a strong chance Bethesda unveils a new IP at E3 and it's nowhere to be found. This is the most blatant wish list I've ever seen.

Lol. What a load of bollocks. One of the biggest red flags is only a single game for Microsoft when they'll probably have 6-7 first party games at the conference. And no way is Square Enix ready to show anything more on their Marvel games yet. Reads like someone who has followed a few rumours and has just copied & pasted a bunch of games which are already announced.

I kinda expect we will see a lot of Sony's games coming out sooner than we may have initially expected. I really think we will see at least Spider-Man or God of War (if not both) this year, followed by Days Gone in the spring next year, and TLOU2 maybe summer or autumn 2018.

With Scorpio coming out this year, presumably with a bit more power over the Pro, I would imagine Sony would want to combat this with a some solid exclusives, and probably a slight price cut on the Pro. It seems Gran Turismo is already pretty much confirmed for sometime this year, but I also expect to see at least one other big exclusive.

I kinda expect we will see a lot of Sony's games coming out sooner than we may have initially expected. I really think we will see at least Spider-Man or God of War (if not both) this year, followed by Days Gone in the spring next year, and TLOU2 maybe summer or autumn 2018.

With Scorpio coming out this year, presumably with a bit more power over the Pro, I would imagine Sony would want to combat this with a some solid exclusives, and probably a slight price cut on the Pro. It seems Gran Turismo is already pretty much confirmed for sometime this year, but I also expect to see at least one other big exclusive.

I've felt like this for awhile too. Outside of Death Stranding, I think everything they showed during their press conference last year will be out by spring 2018.

AndyVirus

I like how the list also has The Avengers project, even though the announcement said you'll hear more in 2018.

If I recall correctly, last year's was actually a bit shorter than the usual 90 minutes, wasn't it? Like maybe an hour and fifteen or so?

Yep, and that includes the opening 5 minutes of purely music. I feel like the only thing missing from last year's that would make it perfect is a few minutes dedicated to indies in the middle and ending on a megaton (e.g. Red Dead). I'm not desperate for indie showings but it's nice to throw them a bone on the biggest stage.

If they go for the same formula and achieve anything similar this year I'll be very happy. I was concerned Destiny 2 would take up too much time and space but with a full reveal coming before then I'm hopeful it'll be under 5 minutes. EA will have a lot of focus on Battlefront 2, so again I'm not expecting a lot of time spent there on Sony's stage.

I've felt like this for awhile too. Outside of Death Stranding, I think everything they showed during their press conference last year will be out by spring 2018.

I think we will see something like this:

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Aug - Sept 2017)
Spider-Man (Sept 2017) (If not, then May 2018)
God of War (Oct 2017)
GT Sport (Dec 2017)
Dreams (Somewhere before Christmas, likely have a few bundles)

Detroit: Become Human (Feb 2018)
Days Gone (Mar 2018)
Knack 2 (Apr 2018)
The Last of Us Part 2 (May - July 2018)
Horizon DLC (2018)

Death Stranding (2019) (Maaaaaaybe late 2018)
Sucker Punch's game (2019)

I then think E3 will likely go something like this:

Uncharted Lost Legacy and GT Sport trailers with release dates.
Spider-Man and God of War gameplay walkthroughs, new trailers and release dates.
Dreams release date. (Also coming in different bundles ie. game + move controllers, game + PS4 etc)
Detroit: Become Human trailer and gameplay, coming next Feb.
Days Gone trailer and gameplay, coming next spring 2018.
The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay reveal trailer, coming 2018.
Death Stranding maybe.
Sucker Punch game reveal teaser, no date.

I know I know... but so was Evolution Studios. Luckily, the studio was not exactly closed completely rather sold to Codemasters (multiplatform publisher). Where there is smoke, there is fire. It doesn't look like the kind of thing they could have pull out of their a**.

Evolution wasn't sold, it got shuttered by Sony. Codemasters just recognized and picked up the talent.

Edit: nevermind, redundant post.

The only thing bad about WWS, is that when their good, it makes it really difficult to keep up with all the good titles coming to PS4.

Yakuza 0
Nier
Nioh
Horizon *
Gravity Rush 2
MLB
Persona 5
TLG *

I've yet to complete half of those games as each require a significant amount of time, especially Yakuza and Persona. Now in the upcoming year I'm getting Wipeout and Crash collection, GTS, Destiny 2 and probably jump back into SFV after a long hiatus. I kinda don't want Sony to drop anything big this year outside of GranTurismo, I just don't have the time. It's not like I"m trying to play every good game released on PS4 either, these are titles I'm naturally super interested in. What a time for PS4 man, 2017 really is it's year.

The only thing bad about WWS, is that when their good, it makes it really difficult to keep up with all the good titles coming to PS4.

Yakuza 0
Nier
Nioh
Horizon *
Gravity Rush 2
MLB
Persona 5
TLG *

I've yet to complete half of those games as each require a significant amount of time, especially Yakuza and Persona. Now in the upcoming year I'm getting Wipeout and Crash collection, GTS, Destiny 2 and probably jump back into SFV after a long hiatus. I kinda don't want Sony to drop anything big this year outside of GranTurismo, I just don't have the time. It's not like I"m trying to play every good game released on PS4 either, these are titles I'm naturally super interested in. What a time for PS4 man, 2017 really is it's year.

If it makes you feel better, Yakuza, Nier, Persona 5, and Destiny 2 aren't Worldwide Studios. =P

Neither is Crash, actually, since that's published by Activision.

If it makes you feel better, Yakuza, Nier, Persona 5, and Destiny 2 aren't Worldwide Studios. =P

Neither is Crash, actually, since that's published by Activision.
yeah, I know, just PS exclusives from third party. But when WWS adds to the mix, it becomes an even crazier buying spree for me lol. I hope GTS is it for the year, I guess I would be ok with God of War since that would be probably a 20-25 hour experience.

yeah, I know, just PS exclusives from third party. But when WWS adds to the mix, it becomes an even crazier buying spree for me lol. I hope GTS is it for the year, I guess I would be ok with God of War since that would be probably a 20-25 hour experience.

Ah, I gotcha. ;)

What I tell people is this: don't worry about keeping up. Worst case scenario is you buy it for cheaper later. I'm sure I'll get around to Nioh and Yakuza and Nier. Just not yet. xD~~

What makes you believe it would be this early?

tumblr_oigx1a66yC1uxb6ajo5_r1_540.gif

What makes you believe it would be this early?

On Detroit/Spidey/Days Gone/GoW, the absolute best I expect is 2 of them out by this time next year.

By Summer 2018, it will have been around 1 year and a half since it was revealed. Around the same time between the reveal and release of the original. Plus, the summer release seemed to work out well for the sales of the original.

Regarding your second point, Sony will want to release a couple heavy hitter exclusives in the run up to Christmas to compete with Scorpio.

Detroit looks great, but given the competition this year, I think it would take a bit of a hit, plus Heavy Rain released in February and seemed to have great sales. So I would think February for that would be a logical release.

Spider-Man has huge brand recognition, and would be releasing off the back of the movie in July, Xbox doesn't have this, so it would serve a huge blow if they can get it out for Christmas. Also, the way they used it in their Pro reveal, kinda makes me think they going to leverage it in a similar way to Horizon to push PS4 Pro.

Days Gone and God of War, have both had relatively lengthy gameplay previews last time we saw them, but God of War has had a long history with the platform, and the fact that they are not numbering this instalment kinda suggests they may be trying to draw in new audiences as well. Kinda makes me think they will use it as some solid scorpio competition. Also, we have also already heard a few rumours about its release this year, and how it is in a state where you can play through it.

Lastly, Days Gone is a new IP, and after the success of Horizon, I think they may want Days Gone to follow suit and consider a March/April release date. Plus, Uncharted 4 sold incredibly well in a similar release window.

That list is a combination of common sense predictions and basically anything that's even been remotely rumored (see Resistance 4). Basically your standard pre-E3 "leak" list.

Honestly - E3 is gonna be huge for Sony. A lot of people are sleeping on them because they have had such a fantastic first half of this year so far, but I have a few inklings their E3 is going to be remembered very, very well.

mejin

Honestly - E3 is gonna be huge for Sony. A lot of people are sleeping on them because they have had such a fantastic first half of this year so far, but I have a few inklings their E3 is going to be remembered very, very well.

Sony as market leader grows their software output with time. Some people think they don't have much to show cause the last years they were strong with announcements.

yep HZD had the worst threads for any game i have ever seen on GAF .
At one point they were hard to read because of all the nonsense .

I tend to avoid any HZD related thread that's not the OT or Spoiler thread. People seem to want to tear the game down even now.
It was hilarious that a lot of the interesting Square stuff was shown at Sony's show, and Microsoft's with RoTTR, instead of their own conference.

DQ stuff would probably get attention at Squares if they had another show, then again Nintendo might eye that stuff up.

I can see the 3DS version being shown off at Nintendo's and the PS4 version at Sony's. If Sony is willing to show off KH then I can definitely see them showing off DQ. It's like the prodigal son returning, too good to pass up.

Regarding your second point, Sony will want to release a couple heavy hitter exclusives in the run up to Christmas to compete with Scorpio.
You're putting way too much stock in the Scorpio and seem to be forgetting the last four years of Sony holiday delays. I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that Sony aren't going to sacrifice the quality of their games just to compete in the most crowded season of the year, especially this year of all years and against a company they're beating 2:1. They have marketing deals with RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and CoD WWII, they don't need a ton of exclusives.

Spider-Man has huge brand recognition, and would be releasing off the back of the movie in July, Xbox doesn't have this, so it would serve a huge blow if they can get it out for Christmas. Also, the way they used it in their Pro reveal, kinda makes me think they going to leverage it in a similar way to Horizon to push PS4 Pro.
Seems like you're arguing with yourself with this sentence TBH. If Spider-Man has huge brand recognition, why would they care about releasing it off the back of the movie? The Arkham games certainly didn't need Batman movies to do well, Spider-Man won't either.

Edit - People really think Scorpio has Sony shaking in their boots lol.

Especially when DMC5 gets announced. FROM's new game too.

You're putting way too much stock in the Scorpio and seem to be forgetting the last four years of Sony holiday delays. I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that Sony aren't going to sacrifice the quality of their games just to compete in the most crowded season of the year, especially this year of all years and against a company they're beating 2:1. They have marketing deals with RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and CoD WWII, they don't need a ton of exclusives.

Seems like you're arguing with yourself with this sentence TBH. If Spider-Man has huge brand recognition, why would they care about releasing it off the back of the movie? The Arkham games certainly didn't need Batman movies to do well, Spider-Man won't either.
Ppl are pushing the Scorpio way too much imo. Sony aren't risking their sales for the heavy hitters to counter a hardware release. What they will do however will get bundles together of the biggest third party titles, bundles for pre existing first parties ala horizon

So instead of cramming Gow,Spider-Man,gt sport like ppl seem to think they need to do

They'll push battlefront 2 bundles,rdr2 bundles(if it comes out), destiny 2 bundles(all they really need if we're honest), call of duty bundles(Ww2 could potentially bring cod back into the spotlight more than it already is), gt sport bundles for Europe, crash and or knack 2 bundles for kids.

If Sony has somehow sold, closed down or divested their stake in Sucker Punch we'd have heard about it by now. That's not exactly the kind of thing you can keep secret for some E3 surprise.

I absolutely agree with you regarding the quality of their games, I would expect them to delay anything that wasn't quite ready yet. That said, I would expect them to have set some sort of goal for release dates, even if they end up getting delayed. Also Scorpio is likely going to launch with an edge in power over the Pro, as well as an exclusive or two, so I would expect Sony would at least aim to combat this by making a PS4 the more attractive option, with more exclusives and maybe a price cut. Not only that, they are also competing with the Switch this year, which by Christmas, will have Zelda, Super Mario and MarioKart, plus any other games they reveal for this year.

Spider-Man will sell well whenever they release it, much like the Batman games. But I can only imagine it would sell even better, releasing it shortly after the movie comes out. I could see them putting a trailer for the game in-front of the movie.

Spider-Man will sell well whenever they release it, much like the Batman games. But I can only imagine it would sell even better, releasing it shortly after the movie comes out. I could see them putting a trailer for the game in-front of the movie.

I mean... there really isn't any reasonable pushback to this idea. Pokemon, for example, sells well and has name recognition. But the last Pokemon games sold particularly well, conveniently months after Pokemon GO released. One helped the other.

If they can release the game with the movie, be it the theatrical release or home video (which if it does coincide with the movie after all, I'd assume it would be the latter version), they will. If they can advertise both and ride this Avengers wave, they will. It makes too much business sense unless the game just isn't ready, and Insomniac has pushed back on the idea of a 2018 release when someone tweeted them that they couldn't be excited for a game releasing in 2018.

I mean... there really isn't any reasonable pushback to this idea. Pokemon, for example, sells well and has name recognition. But the last Pokemon games sold particularly well, conveniently months after Pokemon GO released. One helped the other.

If they can release the game with the movie, be it the theatrical release or home video (which if it does coincide with the movie after all, I'd assume it would be the latter version), they will. If they can advertise both and ride this Avengers wave, they will. It makes too much business sense unless the game just isn't ready, and Insomniac has pushed back on the idea of a 2018 release when someone tweeted them that they couldn't be excited for a game releasing in 2018.

Games aren't developed as easy in a time frame like movies. Marvel stated they don't want to go down the activision route of fitting in licensed games to go with movies

Whenever Spidey releases it's inevitably capatilising on Avengers and Homecoming thirst. In that sense you ain't seeing that game until 2018 at earliest imo.

Dabi

This year will be special.

- Nintendo will be looking to reclaim the throne
- Microsoft will look to use the Scorpio as a soft reset to get the movement back on track
- Sony will be looking to destroy as usual.

OléGunner;233341217 said:
Games aren't developed as easy in a time frame like movies. Marvel stated they don't want to go down the activision route of fitting in licensed games to go with movies

Whenever Spidey releases it's inevitably capatilising on Avengers and Homecoming thirst. In that sense you ain't seeing that game until 2018 at earliest imo.

Of course. I'm well aware of that. At the same time, if they can capitalize on it, they will, and coming out the year after a movie is not capitalizing on it as releasing it to coincide with a movie would.

Like Insomniac's Ratchet. Series did fine without ever having a movie, but when did the movie based on the game based on the movie came out? With the movie.

I don't know when the game is coming out, but people are dismissing 2017 too quickly, even after what Marvel/Insomniac have said (the former talking about 2017, the latter saying, "Who says this is coming out in 2018?").

OléGunner;233341217 said:

I am not suggesting they are going to release the product before it is ready, but if they can reasonably aim to release the game close to the movie, then presumably that is the most favourable option. That said, contrary to Activision, I think Sony have demonstrated that they are willing to delay a game to ensure the quality is there, but they at least need to have a release date in mind to begin with, even if they have to change it.

Theoretically, even if the game was ready ahead of time, I would similarly expect them to push it back to release near Spider-Man just for the marketing boost it would get.

Absolutely no chance of this being true. There is simply no way The Last of Us Part II is out before Fall 2018. Spring 2019 is more likely.

I think we will see something like this:

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Aug - Sept 2017)
Spider-Man (Sept 2017) (If not, then May 2018)
God of War (Oct 2017)
GT Sport (Dec 2017)
Dreams (Somewhere before Christmas, likely have a few bundles)

Detroit: Become Human (Feb 2018)
Days Gone (Mar 2018)
Knack 2 (Apr 2018)
The Last of Us Part 2 (May - July 2018)
Horizon DLC (2018)

Death Stranding (2019) (Maaaaaaybe late 2018)
Sucker Punch's game (2019)

I then think E3 will likely go something like this:

Uncharted Lost Legacy and GT Sport trailers with release dates.
Spider-Man and God of War gameplay walkthroughs, new trailers and release dates.
Dreams release date. (Also coming in different bundles ie. game + move controllers, game + PS4 etc)
Detroit: Become Human trailer and gameplay, coming next Feb.
Days Gone trailer and gameplay, coming next spring 2018.
The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay reveal trailer, coming 2018.
Death Stranding maybe.
Sucker Punch game reveal teaser, no date.

Waaaaaay too optimistic and unrealistic. Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, and Days Gone all released by March 2018? Not going to happen.

it's hard to top 2016 though. It was better than 2015, and that year had hype levels through the roof with FF7:R, Shenmue 3, and TLG making returns. 2016 was just spectacular. It was basically movie trailers with a live orchestra and 90% of what was shown looked incredible!

I'm not really sleeping on Sony, but there simply has to be a relatively "dry" year, Sony's WWS aren't that big, there's but so many games we don't already know about. But, I am looking forward to Sony the most, Nintendo second, and Scorpio reveal.

I am not suggesting they are going to release the product before it is ready, but if they can reasonably aim to release the game close to the movie, then presumably that is the most favourable option. That said, contrary to Activision, I think Sony have demonstrated that they are willing to delay a game to ensure the quality is there, but they at least need to have a release date in mind to begin with, even if they have to change it.

Theoretically, even if the game was ready ahead of time, I would similarly expect them to push it back to release near Spider-Man just for the marketing boost it would get.

Yeah, that's where I fall with this, especially with what the guy from Marvel said. If it comes out in 2018, then yeah, the wait will suck, but it won't be shocking to me. But I also don't think 2017 is a reach either since the game has been in the works for a few years.

Top Bottom