• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

farisr

Can he tell us if the agreement is for ps4 only games?? Or will extend beyond that?
He has only been talking about near future plans so far, doesn't like talking about really long-term plans. He did say that for now it's for 3 games, but anything's possible, it could get extended to more titles, there could be more collaborations, but for the immediate future it's 3 in total (out of which 1 has already released) and the games are likely not going to take long to come out because From develops at a good pace.

I miss the "cartoony" NAUGHTY DOG :p
While I am currently adoring my time with TLoU (haven't played Uncharted so no comment on that), I too hope that there is always room for the cartoony stuff alongside the serious stuff. Jak was a big part of my childhood, and even the "mature" 2nd and 3rd entries felt like a whimsical Saturday morning cartoon somehow.

That said, Crash and Jak can thrive without Naughty Dog's greed direct involvement, and Sony's strong third party relationships are no small part of that. I thought Sly couldn't exist without Sucker Punch for example, but then Sanzuru pretty much blew me away. I need those guys to handle Sly 5 if Sucker Punch won't.

Verendus mentioned it earlier in the thread.

They have an agreement for 3 games apparently. Bloodborne was the first. It won't be a Bloodborne trilogy so expect either two other games or one more Bloodborne game and something different.

NH0zEjj.gif

Verendus mentioned it earlier in the thread.

They have an agreement for 3 games apparently. Bloodborne was the first. It won't be a Bloodborne trilogy so expect either two other games or one more Bloodborne game and something different.

That's not really a source, but it's plausible given his track record. I hope one of those remaining games is a Tenchu reboot.

Best wishes.

Missing one that I would definitely mention in the opening post. What about Tarsier Studio's in Sweden? They did Tearaway Unfolded and announced a PlayStation 4 exclusive called Hunger.

HungerBanner_64_o.png

Tarsier owns the rights to that game by all accounts, not Sony. I don't think Sony has anything to do with the funding of it at all, but I could be wrong there. Plus the game is going to be on PC.

It does look utterly incredible based on that trailer though.

So I wanted to take a moment to discuss Santa Monica.

We know that they are working on a new God of War, but I noticed that when Verendus mentioned them a few pages back, he wrapped quotations around "God of War" and I might be totally overthinking this, but why would he do that if we already know about it?

Is it because that it's not God of War 4? Is it possible that SSM is working on a completely new joint that only resembles God of War? Might just be wishful thinking on my part but are we finally getting a reboot with a new mythology and new characters? If any of you guys know any scrumptious tidbits feel free to solidify or shoot down any of this.

Missing one that I would definitely mention in the opening post. What about Tarsier Studio's in Sweden? They did Tearaway Unfolded and announced a PlayStation 4 exclusive called Hunger.

HungerBanner_64_o.png
Are you sure this is going to be a PS4 exclusive? I remember seeing a great teaser for that some time ago but I was under the impression it was going to be a multiplatform game.

Edit : I see that it's already been addressed a couple of post before...

BadWolf

We know that they are working on a new God of War, but I noticed that when Verendus mentioned them a few pages back, he wrapped quotations around "God of War" and I might be totally overthinking this, but why would he do that if we already know about it?

Is it because that it's not God of War 4? Is it possible that SSM is working on a completely new joint that only resembles God of War? Might just be wishful thinking on my part but are we finally getting a reboot with a new mythology and new characters? If any of you guys know any scrumptious tidbits feel free to solidify or shoot down any of this.

We just know that they are working on a new GOW and that the director of GOW2 is back to head the project. And that it will most likely look mindblowingly good.

Other than there isn't much known about the project iirc.

Could be a soft reboot but who knows.

I just want Kratos to come back and I realise I'm in a serious minority on that.

But hey GoW=Kratos to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm really confused, didn't Tarsier become a first party studio back in 2010? It was on GAF as well as many well known websites. But some report a contract, others report them being a subsidary. What exactly is their status? Google doesn't appear to be helping me establish this.

I don't know what the studio's precise situation is I'm afraid, but they can't be Sony-owned. They must still be an independent developer that takes on contracts, much like Insomniac for example. They've got heavy ties with Sony, but they can still do their own thing.

BadWolf

I too would like Kratos to be replaced as the lead as I feel that he is done story-wise but any way you look at it, he is a pretty iconic character at this point.

Could be a soft reboot but who knows.

I just want Kratos to come back and I realise I'm in a serious minority on that.

But hey GoW=Kratos to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My issue with Kratos is that he has no story left to tell. His
entire family is killed, and he managed to get his revenge.
His arc done in every manner.

Starting a new mythology and having a new character with an entirely new story just gives them so much more room and freedom to do what they wish the franchise. At most, I'd like Kratos to play the Dante role from DMC4 but
not turn him into the main character like Dante was at the end of that game.

Damn, you just made me remember that Shadow of the Beast is happening. Where is this game? I don't recall hearing about it since it was announced two years ago.

Damn, you just made me remember that Shadow of the Beast is happening. Where is this game? I don't recall hearing about it since it was announced two years ago.

Dev was targeting 2015 as of early this year, but like most projects that are by a small team, probably stealth delayed to 2016~

I too would like Kratos to be replaced as the lead as I feel that he is done story-wise but any way you look at it, he is a pretty iconic character at this point.

Definitely he's like top 3 iconic Playstation characters. I've always liked him as an anti hero since the first game but I get why many on Gaf absolutely hate him haha.

Weirdly enough when I talk to friends or other people who enjoy GoW I never get that sense of disgust people here have for him but we're probably still in the minority :p

BadWolf

There was quite a bit of gameplay footage shown a while back, check out youtube.

Looks like a lower scale downloadable game ala Strider.

Definitely he's like top 3 iconic Playstation characters. I've always liked him as an anti hero since the first game but I get why many on Gaf absolutely hate him haha.

Weirdly enough when I talk to friends or other people who enjoy GoW I never get that sense of disgust people here have for him but we're probably still in the minority :p

Yeah that's the way it is I think and why SSM has no reason to replace him.

Being generous, I'd give it a 10% chance of a new Crash game coming this gen.

So a while ago an insider named Verendus (secretly Phil Spencer) said there are 2 JRPGs in production at SCEJ. JRPG 1 was thought to be Bloodborne (it's apparently not) and JRPG 2 is supposed to have the scale and production values to match Final Fantasy (think Legend of the Dragoon back in the 90s). There are also several more coming this gen. He's been right on the mark several times before and there's no reason to not believe him.

I want to see that jrpg so bad.

zsynqx

Not sure if relevant, but in the last couple of months a big chunk of ready at dawns art team have joined naughty dog.

The lead character artist on the Order
2 environment artists
1 lighting artist and an animator all joined Naughty Dog from RAD between July and August.

Maybe gearing up for full TLOU2 production?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Slowpoke, but this is my own list. No pretty graphics, just tables.

WYzfzyn.png

Ambiguous, less certain projects listed separately :

RyNSgUH.png

Merged cells, my arch-nemesis, we meet again!

Good compilation.

Nice. I think Foster City handles Insomniac. Also they moved building and are now in San Mateo. Err SCE US HQ that is.

Yeah, but the name hasn't changed AFAIK. Just like how Santa Monica Studio is still called that even though Playa Vista Studio would be more appropriate now lol.

then we should expect three major announcements including JRPG2?

Nobody said anything about "including JRPG2."

Anyway, historical precedence suggest we'll get at least 1 major announcement per-show, and with 2 shows left this year, we're looking at least 2. (ignoring insider teasing, but purely based off previous years )

Why is it assumed that GG and MM are having second projects in development?

A few reasons, some with more grain of salt than others.

- GG, ND, SSM and MM were highlighted in old Shu interviews as teams that were expanding to be two-project teams. We know SSM failed at it, reverting back to 1-team, but for all intents and purpose, it doesn't seem like there was any changes in the other studios to hint that ex-devs on project #2 are now working on project #1.

- Steven der Heide is still listed as "Game Director' at GG, and he's not part of the Horizon team. That implies there is a team within GG that's presumably working on something not!Horizon.

- Rex Crowle, obviously just finished Tearaway : Unfolded, so we don't know if he's going to fold into the dreams team. It's just a guess on my part that he'll be working on a new project instead of dreams.

Nightengale, why is there an assume game by Guerrilla Amsterdam? Isn't the whole team supposedly working on Horizon?

EDIT: saw your post! Thanks! That makes sense (and me excited)!

We did have a tenchu game it was called MARK OF THE NINJA.
Not on PS platforms =[
Game is awesome, wish I had the platform to play it (I have it on Steam, but I only have a Mac)..

I still want Tenchu, though.
EDIT: I also agree that Shinobido is way closer to Tenchu than MotN, but I haven't played the one on Vita yet.

Nightengale, why is there an assume game by Guerrilla Amsterdam? Isn't the whole team supposedly working on Horizon?

Not on PS platforms =[
Game is awesome, wish I had the platform to play it (I have it on Steam, but I only have a Mac)..

I still want Tenchu, though.

You can play it on a Mac.

viHuGi

Banned
A few reasons, some with more grain of salt than others.

- GG, ND, SSM and MM were highlighted in old Shu interviews as teams that were expanding to be two-project teams. We know SSM failed at it, reverting back to 1-team, but for all intents and purpose, it doesn't seem like there was any changes in the other studios to hint that ex-devs on project #2 are now working on project #1.

- Steven der Heide is still listed as "Game Director' at GG, and he's not part of the Horizon team. That implies there is a team within GG that's presumably working on something not!Horizon.

- Rex Crowle, obviously just finished Tearaway : Unfolded, so we don't know if he's going to fold into the dreams team. It's just a guess on my part that he'll be working on a new project instead of dreams.

So Santa Monica is still one team studio?? Makes sense since they help in so many projects anyway...

Would love a new IP from them along God of War but im fine with that.

Futurematic

So Santa Monica is still one team studio?? Makes sense since they help in so many projects anyway...
Well, "still" sort of, they jumped to two but team two--whatever they were working on, rumoured Destiny-ish game--got cancelled alas. the helping other developers part would be going strong regardless if team two had failed or not.

Which is too bad, I'm curious as to what they were working on and how it possibly could have come off worse than launch Destiny. Plus I super don't care about GoW, so I was all excited to buy a SSM game for once, lol.

Top Bottom