• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
In two weeks - Matterfall
In three weeks - Uncharted: TLL

Can't wait!!!

Dude I want to inform you that this post probably killed my left ear.
I was scrolling this thread when my girlfriend sawthis post and screamed "it's a new tokyo jungle" at 20 cm of my left ear which feel numb now.

And we're both sad a new Tokyo Jungle 2 is not announced yet.
I was going to apologize, but then I realized you have an awesome girlfriend who loves a fantastic game, and revoke my apology! ...I'm still sad from breaking up with the girl who was my best friend of so long, and the fact that she wasn't even a gamer.

Gotta get myself together, be more social IRL, and maybe Tokyo Jungle 2 will be something I can share with an SO someday.

Shin-Ra

https://twitter.com/GattaiGames/status/890121440271486976
It's official! @StifledGame is being published by Sony Interactive Entertainment!

DFpYumnXYAEMC7T.jpg:orig
StNQRgP.png
stifledgame.com

Narrative Trailer — Microphone Demo Trailer

Stifled is a multi-award winning, VR and Mic-Enabled Sound-Based Stealth Thriller, where sound is the only way you see and the enemies HEAR your fear.

In Stifled, the sounds made by your in-game character and yourself through microphone input reveal the otherwise hidden world through ‘echolocation'. However, undue noise will attract the attention of creatures lurking in the darkness. To survive, you will have to tread the line between making sounds to see, and staying quiet to stay hidden.

Stifled is the spiritual successor to Lurking, a student game developed over a course of 6 months at Digipen: Institute of Technology, Singapore. Lurking won the Best Student Game and Excellence in Technology awards at IGF China 2014, and was also nominated for awards at TGS SOWN 2014 and SXSW Gamer's Voice 2015.

FEATURES
  • Sound based play, where you 'see' the world through sound
  • Microphone enabled play, where the enemies 'HEAR your fear'
  • VR-enabled that increases the player's immersion
  • Let's Player's nightmare where their commentary reveals their location to the enemies
  • Unique 'echolocation' visual style

https://twitter.com/GattaiGames/status/890121440271486976

stifledgame.com

Narrative Trailer — Microphone Demo Trailer

Stifled is a multi-award winning, VR and Mic-Enabled Sound-Based Stealth Thriller, where sound is the only way you see and the enemies HEAR your fear.

In Stifled, the sounds made by your in-game character and yourself through microphone input reveal the otherwise hidden world through ‘echolocation'. However, undue noise will attract the attention of creatures lurking in the darkness. To survive, you will have to tread the line between making sounds to see, and staying quiet to stay hidden.

Stifled is the spiritual successor to Lurking, a student game developed over a course of 6 months at Digipen: Institute of Technology, Singapore. Lurking won the Best Student Game and Excellence in Technology awards at IGF China 2014, and was also nominated for awards at TGS SOWN 2014 and SXSW Gamer's Voice 2015.

FEATURES
  • Sound based play, where you 'see' the world through sound
  • Microphone enabled play, where the enemies 'HEAR your fear'
  • VR-enabled that increases the player's immersion
  • Let's Player's nightmare where their commentary reveals their location to the enemies
  • Unique 'echolocation' visual style

Looks pretty cool, thanks for gathering all the info and videos.

For anyone who missed it, that's one of the four SIE published PSVR games Sony announced at ChinaJoy. There's also:

Kill X developed by Vivagames
Demo Gameplay

The Walker developed by Haymaker
Trailer
Gameplay

Legion Commander developed by ChangYou Games
Off-screen Gameplay

That off-screen gameplay video of Legion Commander is the only one I can find.

Man, we're just about to get into a blitz of Sony games for the next month (Matterfall, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2).

Next week and every week after, one comes out, and they're all cheaper games ($40 for all except Matterfall, which is $20 I believe).

I have the first two pre-ordered. Thinking about Everybody's Golf as one of my friends wants to play with me, and if the reviews for Knack 2 are good, I might pick it up.

Turkoop

Banned
Man, we're just about to get into a blitz of Sony games for the next month (Matterfall, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2).

Next week and every week after, one comes out, and they're all cheaper games ($40 for all except Matterfall, which is $20 I believe).

I have the first two pre-ordered. Thinking about Everybody's Golf as one of my friends wants to play with me, and if the reviews for Knack 2 are good, I might pick it up.

I cancelled UC because of Destiny 2, and 45 bucks for just a story game is maybe too much, I don't think I'll have the time to play MP.
Matterfall and Knack 2 will be purchased later, preordered Hellblade few days ago

Hellblade,Uncharted, Everybody's golf,yakuza Kiwami, knack 2 all ready to be picked up/downloaded.

What a way to end the summer

I didn't mention Sonic Mania, which I have pre-ordered, or Cities: Skylines, which I'm interested in getting at a later date, simply because they're not published by Sony, but I echo the sentiment that August is a very active month!

delSai

Man i'm really looking forward to Matterfall. It's so close now.

Aside from that im buying Yakuza Kiwami (and you should buy it too) and Windjammers. Those 2 games should keep me busy for a while.

The blitz started last week, dude. Patapon Remastered!

As for my pick ups, I'll get Uncharted TLL via the season pass and definitely buy buy Yakuza Kiwami, Undertale and Life is Strange BtS. Then in my "maybe" pile is Everybody's Golf, Last Day of June, Hellblade and Thimbleweed Park.

I'm only getting Uncharted, but if I had the time (and more money) I'd be buying Yakuza Kiwami, Undertale, Matterfall, Hellblade and Sonic Mania in August too. Hell, I wouldn't mind checking out Everybody's Golf as well, especially since it's so cheap.

What a jam-packed month. Feel like that insane schedule really crept up on me.

RSchmitz

I already paid for Matterfal, Lost Legacy, Everybody's Golf and Yakuza Kiwami.
Thankfully I have September off work so I'm set.

The blitz started last week, dude. Patapon Remastered!

As for my pick ups, I'll get Uncharted TLL via the season pass and definitely buy buy Yakuza Kiwami, Undertale and Life is Strange BtS. Then in my "maybe" pile is Everybody's Golf, Last Day of June, Hellblade and Thimbleweed Park.

Yeah, I know about Patapon, but I was more impressed with how they're releasing stuff weekly starting next Tuesday, and all are new releases as well. Tuesday after Tuesday.

Turkoop

Banned
Man i'm really looking forward to Matterfall. It's so close now.

Aside from that im buying Yakuza Kiwami (and you should buy it too) and Windjammers. Those 2 games should keep me busy for a while.

I've started with Y0 and still don't know if this game is my taste. Have to play more

Dueck

Banned
Sony has been very polarizing for me this generation. I liked that they announced their console as supporting offline use, which probably contributed to MS backpedaling on their unpopular ideas to the contrary (so a win for gamers), but they've seemingly milked that for all it's worth and then some with the whole "no backwards compatibility, here's a paid streaming service instead." And it got even worse after MS announced their similar thing that lets you download the games for the month...

To relate this back to the topic, their software has been just as hit-or-miss for me. Almost every single game they develop now feels like a slight twist on the "third-person cinematic action" formula. Until Dawn was actually more original in that it bet more heavily on the cinematic portion than the rest, and I honestly appreciated that it didn't feel completely like "just another Sony release." Bloodborne is, to this day, the PS4's best first-party published exclusive (in my opinion) and it was developed by an outside company. Many people seem to agree with me regarding this status (though maybe not for the same reason). Coincidence?

Another point worth noting is that at least they've got a lot in the pipeline, even if it does feel very homogenous at times. MS fell into the same trap this gen as it did the last: go too hard out of the gate and give up early when the software underperforms. They throw too much money at everything for three-ish years then engage in "cutbacks," for lack of a better word. The original Xbox was expected to lose money and it only lasted five years, so it got a free ride as it was written off as start-up costs of a new brand investment. The 360's library fell into disrepair around 2009, and the Xbox One's only really had a strong push for two, as what feels like the final big products undertaken around that time slowly trickle out with nothing following them.

The past two generations, in terms of software, I've felt like MS started better but Sony finished better (though I realize this one is still pending, but it certainly seems like it's heading that way).

The God

Sony has been very polarizing for me this generation. I liked that they announced their console as supporting offline use, which probably contributed to MS backpedaling on their unpopular ideas to the contrary (so a win for gamers), but they've seemingly milked that for all it's worth and then some with the whole "no backwards compatibility, here's a paid streaming service instead." And it got even worse after MS announced their similar thing that lets you download the games for the month...

To relate this back to the topic, their software has been just as hit-or-miss for me. Almost every single game they develop now feels like a slight twist on the "third-person cinematic action" formula. Until Dawn was actually more original in that it bet more heavily on the cinematic portion than the rest, and I honestly appreciated that it didn't feel completely like "just another Sony release." Bloodborne is, to this day, the PS4's best first-party published exclusive (in my opinion) and it was developed by an outside company. Many people seem to agree with me regarding this status (though maybe not for the same reason). Coincidence?

Another point worth noting is that at least they've got a lot in the pipeline, even if it does feel very homogenous at times. MS fell into the same trap this gen as it did the last: go too hard out of the gate and give up early when the software underperforms. They throw too much money at everything for three-ish years then engage in "cutbacks," for lack of a better word. The original Xbox was expected to lose money and it only lasted five years, so it got a free ride as it was written off as start-up costs of a new brand investment. The 360's library fell into disrepair around 2009, and the Xbox One's only really had a strong push for two, as what feels like the final big products undertaken around that time slowly trickle out with nothing following them.

The past two generations, in terms of software, I've felt like MS started better but Sony finished better (though I realize this one is still pending, but it certainly seems like it's heading that way).

They definitely need more variety in their big AAA offerings. Between Naughty Dog, God of War, Day's Gone, Horizon, and most likely Sucker Punch's game, that's a lot of 3rd person action games.

They definitely need more variety in their big AAA offerings. Between Naughty Dog, God of War, Day's Gone, Horizon, and most likely Sucker Punch's game, that's a lot of 3rd person action games.

What a load of nonsense. Horizon is an Action RPG, Uncharted is a third person shooter, TLOU is a survival horror game, God of War is an action game (or a "character action" game if you prefer) and Day's Gone is an open world action/adventure game. They're all very different games.

klee123

Apparently Sony Japan is softening its stance about developing JRPG again. Nothing certain, but they sound more open than Yoshida said some time ago :)

They should have done this as soon as the PC market was gaining traction.

Pretty much most jrpgs are multi platform this gen and with Switch in the mix, Sony will need to built up their own Japanese game portfolio like what Nintendo has done with monolith soft.

The God

What a load of nonsense. Horizon is an Action RPG, Uncharted is a third person shooter, TLOU is a survival horror game, God of War is an action game (or a "character action" game if you prefer) and Day's Gone is an open world action/adventure game. They're all very different games.

What's nonsense? I didn't say they're all the same games, but they do kinda fall on similar "hooks", which are 3rd person, cinematic action games, and sometimes open world. Even shooting is the primary mechanic in 4 out of 5 of those games.

I'm just saying the AAA lineup could be a lot more diverse than that.

pswii60

They're all very scripted narrative-driven single player experiences regardless of which specific genre they might fit in, same for Detroit and Spider-Man. But I think that is by design, given third parties are moving away from these types of games, Sony is keeping the gap filled and differentiating its platform. But there's Wipeout HD Collection, Everybody's Golf, GT Sport, hopefully Dreams etc - it's not like they aren't doing other stuff. A new arcade racer wouldn't go amiss.

What's nonsense? I didn't say they're all the same games, but they do kinda fall on similar "hooks", which are 3rd person, cinematic action games, and sometimes open world. Even shooting is the primary mechanic in 4 out of 5 of those games.

I'm just saying the AAA lineup could be a lot more diverse than that.

It's nonsense because you're creating an absurdly vague catch-all group to throw those games into, even though all those games are completely different. You can do that with anything.

They're all very scripted narrative-driven single player experiences regardless of which specific genre they might fit in, same for Detroit and Spider-Man. But I think that is by design, given third parties are moving away from these types of games, Sony is keeping the gap filled and differentiating its platform. But there's Wipeout HD Collection, Everybody's Golf, GT Sport, hopefully Dreams etc - it's not like they aren't doing other stuff. A new arcade racer wouldn't go amiss.

Horizon is very scripted?

Rymuth

i wouldnt call them completely different.

you have to admit, most sony games use the same storytelling style these days
They're allowed to do that though because they counterbalance it with other stuff

- they're co-developing games with Chinese devs and growing that scene
- they built an entire studio for Kojima
- they publish and partner with devs in Japan

Basically, Sony doesn't feel the need to plug in those holes of JRPGs, Soulsborne or what-have-you because they can count on their third party relations on that front.

Conversely, no one else does narrative driven games with their production values so why not go all in?

The God

They're allowed to do that though because they counterbalance it with other stuff

- they're co-developing games with Chinese devs and growing that scene
- they built an entire studio for Kojima
- they publish and partner with devs in Japan

Basically, Sony doesn't feel the need to plug in those holes of JRPGs, Soulsborne or what-have-you because they can count on their third party relations on that front.

Conversely, no one else does narrative driven games with their production values so why not go all in?
because it seems like a waste for most of your big games to follow such a similar blueprint

The entire point of Days Gone is that it isn't scripted lol...

3rd-person, cinematic action adventure games make up the majority of what I play. I honestly wish they (and all the other publishers) made more. Let Polyphony make an RPG like Kaz wanted to do at one point.

Give me that JRPG goodness, Sony! It'll be tough trying to make an AAA Japanese game that can do well in Japan and see worldwide success. I think it is worth at least contemplating though.

RSchmitz

Sony Japan makes an jrpg before ape escape I riot

Whynotboth.gif

Really, Wild Arms, Ape Escape and whatever Toyama is doing next would be a great internal lineup.
Even so, most Sony's Japan Studios RPG were externally developed so it's too soon to worry.

Knack getting a sequel but no Ape Escape in sight is mind boggling though.

Top Bottom