• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

sirronoh

I guess for me, I don't care who makes the games. If a game is good and it's up my alley for the types of games I play, then I'm in -- regardless of whether it's first or third-party. I understand why those terms exists but as a gamer, they don't matter to me; only the actual content that hits the market matters to me. So God of War, Spiderman, Horizon, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, etc., could be from all different types of publishers for all I care, they're games that I'll spend money on.

I was just referring to the three Sony published games that were revealed at E3 (Bravo Team, Hidden Agenda, and The Inpatient).

I'm still amazed they have such skills to develop 3 games for 2017 when they just launched a game last year (UD: Rush of Blood)

How many employees does Supermassive have?

FelipeMGM

Considering the fact that I only completed five PlayStation 3 exclusives overall and have already doubled that number this generation and that it doesn't include Hellblade, Matterfall, U: TLL and other future titles, I can easily say that PlayStation 4 has easily blown away last generation for me and it's only halfway or so done. A lot of Sony's future games whether first party, third party or independent have me hyped. Days Gone being number one, God of War, Detroit, Spider Man, Death Stranding are just a few of them.

This gen has been really great so far indeed, but personally I wouldnt state something like that yet. To me:

Uncharted, Resistance and Motostorm trilogies were born & made last gen and they were incredible series, R&C had two amazing games and so did new IP's like inFamous and LBP, Heavy Rain was top notch interactive storytelling, Killzone 2 was amazing, KZ3 great, it had the ''end'' of a epic saga in an epic way with GoW III, Demon's Souls birthed a whole new style of games, GT5 wasnt the best in the series but I still loved it and played the hell out of it, small teams created games that are arguably among the best software I ever played with Flower, Journey, Sound Shapes and Unfinished Swan, it had overlooked japanese gems towards the end in Tokyo Jungle, Pupeteer and Rain and of course, my favorite game of all time, The Last Of Us. And Im sure I missed some other stuff that I enjoyed a lot that Im not remembering and Im even leaving out games that were pretty good but not that remarkable like these listed to me (R&C Into The Nexus, Dead Nation, Heavenly Sword, etc)

To me PS3 was when Sony finally stepped up their first party software game to this level we are in today, where we expected top notch quality stuff. Of course my vision could change after all these exciting PS4 announced games are released, but so far I'd give to PS3

I'm still amazed they have such skills to develop 3 games for 2017 when they just launched a game last year (UD: Rush of Blood)

How many employees does Supermassive have?

129 employees according to Linkedin

This gen has been really great so far indeed, but personally I wouldnt state something like that yet. To me:

Uncharted, Resistance and Motostorm trilogies were born & made last gen and they were incredible series, R&C had two amazing games and so did new IP's like inFamous and LBP, Heavy Rain was top notch interactive storytelling, Killzone 2 was amazing, KZ3 great, it had the ''end'' of a epic saga in an epic way with GoW III, Demon's Souls birthed a whole new style of games, GT5 wasnt the best in the series but I still loved it and played the hell out of it, small teams created games that are arguably among the best software I ever played with Flower, Journey, Sound Shapes and Unfinished Swan, it had overlooked japanese gems towards the end in Tokyo Jungle, Pupeteer and Rain and of course, my favorite game of all time, The Last Of Us. And Im sure I missed some other stuff that I enjoyed a lot that Im not remembering and Im even leaving out games that were pretty good but not that remarkable like these listed to me (R&C Into The Nexus, Dead Nation, Heavenly Sword, etc)

To me PS3 was when Sony finally stepped up their first party software game to this level we are in today, where we expected top notch quality stuff. Of course my vision could change after all these exciting PS4 announced games are released, but so far I'd give to PS3

Counter point: The Last Guardian. Also, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Horizon, R&C 2016, Gravity Rush 2, Resogun, Helldivers, inFamous SS/FL, Bound, Hohokum, CounterSpy and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Personally, I think by the end of this gen, Sony's PS4 output will crush last gen's. And if you add third party exclusives, it already does.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Hellblade isn't a Sony game. God of War isn't really character action anymore, they've brought down the combat and are focusing a lot more on narrative.

Hellblade wasn't made by Sony but the PS4 is still the only console where you'll find it.

GoW4 has changed-up the camera angle but the combat is certainly still intact. All previous GoW games had a large narrative focus as well, that doesn't deviate it from being a character action game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't buy a PS3 until the slim was released along with Uncharted 1 and 2. Not 100% sure but I think that was in late 2009. I also didn't play a FPS type game until Far Cry 3 which was December 2012 so this alone eliminates Resistance and Killzone as two franchises I never had any interest in whatsoever. I did play Killzone Shadow Fall but quit after a few hours as outside of the visuals, it just wasn't grabbing me and considering the fact that I played it after two Wolfenstein games, FC4, Doom, BF1, TF2 and COD:IW, it just felt outdated in terms of controls and mechanics. Gorgeous looking game though.

Never played any R&C game and I still have the 2016 one sitting in front of me in a case. Hoping to finally play it in September after Knack 2. Never played Infamous until Second Son and simply not for me as I wasn't into the super powers at all. No interest in LBP, GT or Motorstorm. Didn't play GOWIII simply because I was never able to finish the original on PS2 and thus, never bothered with the series. New GOW however, hell yeah.

Also didn't have any interest in Souls. Played Heavy Rain and not my type of game even though I will give Detroit a shot. All of the games listed starting with Journey I have no interest in whatsoever and I truly don't see what the appeal is with any of those games. I did try Puppeteer though but just couldn't into it. TLOU was my 2013 GOTY with my only major complaint being the horrible AI in regards to Ellie. Never played Heavenly Sword despite wanting to. Simply never got around to buying it.

The five exclusives for me were Dead Nation, Uncharted 1-3 and TLOU. I also played 3D Dot Game Heroes and Dragon's Crown but never hit double digits in hours played. Always wanted to play through them but simply never did. Shame too because I was hyped for both at the time.

I agree with you in regards to Sony starting with PS3 and getting to where they are now. For me, thus far, I played Knack, The Order, Until Dawn, Alienation, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Beast, Nex Machina and Horizon Zero Dawn. Still have R&C, Knack 2, U:TLL and Matterfall coming up.

Alienation was easily better than Dead Nation. I think Uncharted: TLL will be what U4 should have been and be the second best after U2. While obviously years away, I think that TLOUPII will at the very least match the original. Nex Machina was awesome as will be Matterfall. Knack 2 should be better than the original.

The best game is Horizon especially since I was disappointed with U4. Really tough to say if I would put Horizon over Uncharted 2 and TLOU which were my two best PS3 exclusives last gen because it's open world compared to two linear cover based third person shooters.

It's just that when I look back at those games, I was more hyped for the majority of them compared to only being hyped for the first two Uncharted games and that was mainly because of U2.

While the quality of the five PS3 exclusives I completed is better than all the PS4 exclusives that I have completed thus far, it's a lot closer than what it was two years ago and im not even into Bloodborne. If I was, I think quality wise would be extremely close.

It's just that for me, im more hyped, pumped and look forward to all the exclusives a lot more than I did with the PS3 exclusives. And with Uncharted 3, I quit halfway and didn't replay and finish it until a year later in 2012. I can't say that with any of the PS4 exclusives that I have played and completed this gen. All seen through the first time.

For me, quantity easily wins this generation and I would say that by the end of 2018, quality will also win this generation. Maybe even sooner if U:TLL is as good as im expecting it to be along with the Horizon DLC.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

The God

News to me.
You should watch the E3 videos
Hellblade wasn't made by Sony but the PS4 is still the only console where you'll find it.

GoW4 has changed-up the camera angle but the combat is certainly still intact. All previous GoW games had a large narrative focus as well, that doesn't deviate it from being a character action game.

yeah but that's not the point. I can find Hellblade elsewhere, I'm talking about the kind of games I would like to see Sony make.

God of War PS4 looks pretty far from the original games,or something like Devil May Cry. And this quote from Jim Ryan makes it pretty clear that they dialed down the hack-n-slash of the game and went for a stronger story focus (which again is obvious just by watching the gameplay footage)
"Hack and slash games tend to not do so well in Europe, so the narrative this time around will make a big difference. European gamers love narrative games."

Until they show us otherwise I'm hesitant to put the new GoW in the same category of other games I had in mind

Lady Gaia

So it doesn't look dumbed down from previous games to you at all?

The previous games were button mashers where you could amuse yourself with combos if you liked, at least from an action perspective. I’ve seen no evidence that they’ve dumbed down combat any further, just that they’ve doubled down on creating a compelling narrative to bring people people in who found the earlier games lacking in that regard.

Shin-Ra

So it doesn't look dumbed down from previous games to you at all?
There isn't enough footage or information about the combat options available to say one way or the other.

I don't know how many weapons, how many combos for each, how/if you can combine more than the axe and razor shield together, how rage or magic work, are there other types of equipment upgrades like armour? I don't know how Atreus evolves as the game goes on.

The previous games were button mashers where you could amuse yourself with combos if you liked, at least from an action perspective. I’ve seen no evidence that they’ve dumbed down combat any further, just that they’ve doubled down on creating a compelling narrative to bring people people in who found the earlier games lacking in that regard.

Yeah, it's different, but not necessarily for the worse. GoW had pretty lightweight combat that a lot of people mashed their way through with the same combo. The new GoW looks far weightier to me in terms of combat.

mejin

Y'all are ignoring the context of the conversation if anything. No one's saying the lineup as a whole is not diverse, it's their big AAA games (the Uncharteds, the Horizons, the GoWs etc) that need more variety

Nah, you are stretching too much to fit your agenda. you really don't need to have AAA budgets for everything, you can't actually.

The God

Nah, you are stretching too much to fit your agenda. you really don't need to have AAA budgets for everything, you can't actually.

you caught me bro im just here to shit on playstation

I didn't even say anything close to the last point btw

I wouldn't call it a step down. Just something different. The combat in the previous games wasn't anything great. It was just competent and got the job done.

Regardless, it is still character action.

mejin

you caught me bro im just here to shit on playstation

I didn't even say anything close to the last point btw

What I'm saying is the diversity is there and there are some genres that don't need that AAA budget. You have several games from Studio Japan that fit the bill. Sports games are considered to have less budget too, no? So, even MLB and GT Sport wouldn't be as expensive as Horizon or Uncharted 4. Cinematic single player experiences will always be more expensive for Sony you can clearly see the results are so much more on a techical standpoint than what even the concorrence offers.

But you can't put Spider, GoW, Days Gone and Detroit in the same genre or that they lack diversity it's not true. It's as simple as that IMO.

And that's why I'm saying you're stretching too much. Nothing personal.

What I'm saying is the diversity is there and there are some genres that don't need that AAA budget. You have several games from Studio Japan that fit the bill. Sports games are considered to have less budget too, no? So, even MLB and GT Sport wouldn't be as expensive as Horizon or Uncharted 4. Cinematic single player experiences will always be more expensive for Sony you can clearly see the results are so much more on a techical standpoint than what even the concorrence offers.

But you can't put Spider, GoW, Days Gone and Detroit in the same genre or that they lack diversity it's not true. It's as simple as that IMO.

GT cost a a lot of money to make .
Pretty sure GTS cost a good amount thanks to all the licensed stuff they need .
Plus it has been has near 4 years worth of work .

The God

I disagree

I swear when we don't got news it's like deja vu in here

Can I get a Dreams blog post or something(the game that's different that apparently nobody pays attention too btw 🤷🏽*♂️)

Or gravity rush 2 that nobody bought, or MLB that never gets mentioned..ever, or everybody's golf(that again ppl in this thread won't buy until later I hate you all)

I swear when we don't got news it's like deja vu in here

Can I get a Dreams blog post or something(the game that's different that apparently nobody pays attention too btw 🤷🏽*♂️)

Or gravity rush 2 that nobody bought, or MLB that never gets mentioned..ever, or everybody's golf(that again ppl in this thread won't buy until later I hate you all)
Those don't count because of reason XYZ.

I don't think so.

I think you're right since it's multiplatform.

Why does the video say, "Pankapu is coming to PS4 on September 19th (SIEA) 20th (SIEE)," then? I agree that it seems random, but I'd think they were just release dates, they'd say North America and Europe as opposed to Sony Interactive Entertainment America. Weird.

Shin-Ra

(SIEA) - PS Store regions managed by SIE America
(SIEE) - PS Store regions .. you get the idea.

SIEE also covers the middle east for example so it's more accurate than just saying Europe or America.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe

SIEE is based in lovely offices in London's Soho, mere steps away from Oxford Circus. We're responsible for the distribution, marketing and sale of PlayStation hardware and software products in 109 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. We also manage third-party licensing programs in these territories.

https://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/locations.html

zoodoo

All we know is that they're rumored to be working on a new IP. Which seems likely since it's been three years since their last game and it wouldn't really make sense for them to be spending 4+ years on a new inFamous.

Interesting. Let's hope we'll get some news soon. Second son was a disapointment gameplaywise. It looked good but played like a budget title.

RSchmitz

Eh, I think SS played great. If anything it lacked mission diversity and a better protagonist.
I have no empathy for "teenage rebels".

All we know is that they're rumored to be working on a new IP. Which seems likely since it's been three years since their last game and it wouldn't really make sense for them to be spending 4+ years on a new inFamous.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not an open-world, third-person action-adventure with foliage everywhere.

Servbot24

Banned
Agree to disagree. To me the combat looks like a step down until I see otherwise.

It's a side step. It's clearly different than the old games, I don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. But the old games were also not that deep. New GoW combat seems to have just as much to offer from what's shown so far.

Interesting. Let's hope we'll get some news soon. Second son was a disapointment gameplaywise. It looked good but played like a budget title.
Just launch/first year type stuff. Infamous 2 showed Sucker Punch have it in them.

It's a side step. It's clearly different than the old games, I don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. But the old games were also not that deep. New GoW combat seems to have just as much to offer from what's shown so far.
Agreed. The old combat just aligned well with the rage and the general mood (stabbing stuff, grabbing stuff and ramming it into other stuff, wildly swinging around chains, etc...). There wasn't anything particularly great about it though. Especially in comparison to other action games like that. The new combat is just different, not dumbed down.

FelipeMGM

Counter point: The Last Guardian. Also, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Horizon, R&C 2016, Gravity Rush 2, Resogun, Helldivers, inFamous SS/FL, Bound, Hohokum, CounterSpy and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Personally, I think by the end of this gen, Sony's PS4 output will crush last gen's. And if you add third party exclusives, it already does.

I agree that missing an Ueda project hurts the PS3 list, but I still think that comparing that to what you listed, last gen stays on top for now

But yeah, It could very well change for me after the gen is over, and I hope its the case!

I see. You shared enough background to why you are enjoying this one more, and I definitely agree with you in one thing. Im more excited by their software pre-release this gen then I was on PS3 days too

Top Bottom