• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Dovahking

What do we have here

dgohawcuqaepf1j1pssk.jpg

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/894535638090829824

Wow :O

mejin

This year we will have Matterfall, Everybody's Golf, Knack 2 and GT Sport. I'm also interested in Hidden Agend (from Playlink) and The Inpatient (PSVR).

Sony does have a focus on single player games but this doesn't mean their lineup is not diverse. They can do this since 3rd party support is stronger than on competitors. I don't see as a weakness, but some people think it is. It's nice to have competition you can always buy something that is more akin to your likeness.

FelipeMGM

Looks pretty cool, thanks for gathering all the info and videos.

For anyone who missed it, that's one of the four SIE published PSVR games Sony announced at ChinaJoy. There's also:

Kill X developed by Vivagames
Demo Gameplay

The Walker developed by Haymaker
Trailer
Gameplay

are you sure they are publishing these two?

They were announced months ago as China Hero Project titles so thats where my confusion comes from

Yes. By 'scripted' I mean lots of dialogue, rather than linear or 'on rails'.

Isn't that a given when you say they're "narrative driven"?

But yeah, I'll agree with you now. Story focused games are clearly a priority for Sony, they've executed them near perfectly on a number of occasions now and it's paid off really well for them.

What I don't agree with is the other posts that seemed to think Uncharted and Horizon were alike. There's obviously some similarities between the two, like the third person camera and rock climbing, but I don't see the similarities in terms of storytelling, systems or even the mechanics. I just think it's a really lazy analysis.

are you sure they are publishing these two?

They were announced months ago as China Hero Project titles so thats were my confusion comes from

They were announced for western markets by WWS, so I assumed that's the case. I might be wrong but at the very least, I think Sony are publishing the western releases (similar to the Malicious games).

All PS4 games developed or co-developed by Sony first party studios, sans remakes and remasters, including upcoming announced games:

CounterSpy
Days Gone
Drawn to Death
Dreams
Driveclub
Entwined
Escape Plan
Everybody's Golf
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Fat Princess Adventures
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Guns Up!
Helldivers
Here They lie
Hohokum
Horizon Zero Dawn
inFamous First Light
inFamous Second Son
Kill Strain
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Knack 2
LittleBigPlanet 3
MLB 14
MLB 15
MLB 16
MLB 17
No Heroes Allowed! VR
PlayStation VR Worlds
RIGS
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Singstar: Ultimate Party
Sound Shapes
StarBlood Arena
Tearaway Unfolded
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Part 2
The Order 1886
The Playroom
The Playroom VR
The Tomorrow Children
The Unfinished Swan
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: TLL

There's a wide variety of stuff there.

FelipeMGM

They were announced for western markets by WWS, so I assumed that's the case. I might be wrong but at the very least, I think Sony are publishing the western releases (similar to the Malicious games).

yeah, this may be the case

All PS4 games developed or co-developed by Sony first party studios, sans remakes and remasters, including upcoming announced games:

I wouldnt call stuff like Escape Plan, Unfinished Swan and Sound Shapes PS4 games, they were originally for other systems and then ported to PS4

On the other side, this list is varied already and is still not counting lot of stuff from collabs like Bloodborne, Shadow Of The Beast, Bound, Until Dawn and Rush Of Blood, The Impatient, Bravo Team, Farpoint, That's You, Hidden Agenda, the other upcoming PlayLink games and prob more stuff

I wouldnt call stuff like Escape Plan, Unfinished Swan and Sound Shapes PS4 games, they were originally for other systems and then ported to PS4

True.

On the other side, this list is varied already and is still missing lot of stuff like Shadow Of The Beast, Bound, Until Dawn and Rush Of Blood, The Impatient, Bravo Team, Farpoint, That's You, Hidden Agenda, the other upcoming PlayLink games and prob more stuff

I was mainly keeping to first party developed or co-developed. If we add all the third party developed stuff published by SIE WWS, the list is probably twice the size.

FelipeMGM

True.

I was mainly keeping to first party developed or co-developed. If we add all the third party developed stuff published by SIE WWS, the list is probably twice the size.

yeah, I read that after posting, so made a lil edit to it. But tbh, developed internally or externally doesnt matters much if they are producing, funding and publishing.

And your point only grows with that anyway, they still have tackled all kinds of games with their publishing efforts this gen

Hexa

True.

I don't understand how you're separating co-developed and third party developed. Rather I think it's something really difficult to determine so I don't think there really is a way that does make sense. For example, Until Dawn and Rush of Blood were made on Decima, a proprietary Guerilla Engine. I think this applies to their future games as well but I'm not sure. Farpoint also received a lot of collaboration in regards to the sharpshooter accessory which is arguably an essential part of the game. How would you judge that to be less than the support provided on Sound Shapes or The Order. Why include Helldivers but not Matterfall or Alienation? I don't think these are differentiations anyone without intrauterine knowledge of these projects can make. So I think just viewing everything published by them in the same light makes the most sense.

Yes. By 'scripted' I mean lots of dialogue, rather than linear or 'on rails'.

Ohhh, you mean games that are heavier on story in conjunction with the gameplay, hence there's a bigger "script."

Okay cool, because I was like, "wtf are you talking about?" xD~~

Some of their biggest games have been third person action games with bigger stories, but besides storytelling being a bigger focus in some of them, even more story-driven games like The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 feel very different despite being made by the same developer.

There's more variety than they're given credit for. Just this month alone, you do have Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which is more third-person action, but Matterfall is an arcade shoot-em-up, Everybody's Golf is a quirky sports game, and then Knack 2 next month is a platformer/action hybrid. Gran Turismo Sport is their big holiday game, and their Playlink stuff like Hidden Agendas is more like a multiplayer version of Until Dawn, not to mention their VR games. And earlier this year, Gravity Rush 2 is an action JRPG, Nioh is more akin to Dark Souls, and Horizon was an open-world RPG. Drawn to Death was an arena shooter.

Besides having bigger scripts, I don't see any relation between an open-world game like Spider-Man and something like God of War, or even another open-world like Days Gone, which is not only different in terms of things like weather changing the mission structure, but also how it changes the open-world and how you're never safe in any one place.

The God

Y'all are ignoring the context of the conversation if anything. No one's saying the lineup as a whole is not diverse, it's their big AAA games (the Uncharteds, the Horizons, the GoWs etc) that need more variety

Y'all are ignoring the context of the conversation if anything. No one's saying the lineup as a whole is not diverse, it's their big AAA games (the Uncharteds, the Horizons, the GoWs etc) that need more variety

The major issue with AAA games is that once you get into that area they need to sell a good amount of units or else the series or studio could be in trouble. I recall that when Until Dawn came out there were a number of people complaining that it wasn't receiving a huge marketing push. But the end result is that the game sold well enough that Sony signed Supermassive to a multi-game deal. There's at least some chance that had UD received a multi-million dollar marketing deal that it wouldn't have sold enough to really justify continuing with those types of games.

So if Sony does end up funding a new Ape Escape it's actually a lot better for it if they don't make it a AAA budget game. Just like it's a lot better for these smaller projects that they aren't AAA budget.

The major issue with AAA games is that once you get into that area they need to sell a good amount of units or else the series or studio could be in trouble. I recall that when Until Dawn came out there were a number of people complaining that it wasn't receiving a huge marketing push. But the end result is that the game sold well enough that Sony signed Supermassive to a multi-game deal. There's at least some chance that had UD received a multi-million dollar marketing deal that it wouldn't have sold enough to really justify continuing with those types of games.

So if Sony does end up funding a new Ape Escape it's actually a lot better for it if they don't make it a AAA budget game. Just like it's a lot better for these smaller projects that they aren't AAA budget.
To be honest I don't even want them to attempt an AAA ape escape. It would kill the franchise. Ratchet and clank PS4 budget

Someone will likely clarify better, but AAA budgets are crazy high. You can't do something completely unique and different and make your money back all the time. So more experimental games like Gravity Rush or Everybody's Golf is greenlit, while you have to take smaller risk with something like Horizon.

I think that's as different as you can expect when so many other AAA publishers have a lock on specific genres. And it's not like these games take a year to make.

To be honest I don't even want them to attempt an AAA ape escape. It would kill the franchise. Ratchet and clank PS4 budget
Yeah that would be perfect. Would love to see classic PS1 franchises come back with Ratchet remake level budget. Could even basically be a remake of the best iterations of each respective franchise.

I just want a new AE. A real platformer and not some mini-game BS. I wouldn't even care if they had it running on the PS2 engine. And I think with the success of Ratchet and Crash, it should show Sony that there's a very real interest in platformers on the console.

I'm really interested in seeing what the potential remaster games are this year at PSX. I really want a new Jumping Flash and/or Ape Escape. And SOCOM 2 and Warhawk remasters make a ton of sense as well. I've said it before, but Sony has a history of not managing their old IP's well. Not in the sense that they let them go to shit, but rather they just let them fade away. As I said, cute platformers have already shown they can perform very well on the platform. And they've now got a strong multiplayer structure as well as being the primary console for many multiplayer games, so bringing back games like SOCOM and Warhawk could allow them to find a new audience. SOCOM at one time was huge, and I think Warhawk could be potentially huge on the PS4. And Warhawk in particular at 1080p/fps version of the PS3 game is all they'd need to do. They wouldn't need to create it from scratch like they may want to do for SOCOM 2.

My theory is ape escape 3 is getting the remake treatment otherwise where is my ps2 classic of it.

Ape escape 3 is the best anyway(Xp) so why not.

Yumi&Kei>>>>>>Spike&jimmy

fatherKratos

Neo Member
~
I think that's as different as you can expect when so many other AAA publishers have a lock on specific genres. And it's not like these games take a year to make.
+1. And I don't understand the problem here. If I live under a rock for the next 2-3 years and then start playing TLG, Horizon, Gravity Rush,Uncharted:TLL, GOW, Dayz Gone, Spider Man, TLOU2, Ni No Kuni 2, Death Stranding....... back to back, I'm quite sure, I am not going to complain about lack of variety.

Colony Wars VR AAA, now that would add some variety, do it Sony!

The God

This is a good point, but I still feel like there's room for them to make different kinds of games under such conditions and still be successful

Some Nobody

This is a good point, but I still feel like there's room for them to make different kinds of games under such conditions and still be successful

Ratchet and Clank is a gorgeous game. What do you feel a AAA budget can do for the genre you're looking for that an R&C-level budget couldn't also accomplish?

Better yet, tell me who's doing what Sony's doing right now...besides Sony? All the other major companies are trying to chase Destiny, or competitive multiplayer games. Once you look outside the Sony bubble, suddenly all the AAA 3rd person story-driven singleplayer games start to dwindle, real quick. Especially going forward. Let's see you've got: Agents of Mayhem (lol), Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, and....?

Microsoft said they've basically given up on making those types of games in favor of chasing multiplayer money. EA's all in on sports games, competitive multiplayer, and their Destiny-like--hopefully that Visceral project isn't "always online", and if DA4 manages to come out in 2019 like people are hoping that too. Ubisoft's projects are all some variant on Destiny-type games. Nintendo...I mean, you've got Zelda and Xenoblade (if we're counting J-RPGs but I don't think we are) and that's it.

Who else does the kind of games Sony does in the AAA space still? I'm open to being wrong--it's 6AM and I just woke up so I could be missing a lot, lol.

The God

Ratchet and Clank is a gorgeous game. What do you feel a AAA budget can do for the genre you're looking for that an R&C-level budget couldn't also accomplish?

Better yet, tell me who's doing what Sony's doing right now...besides Sony? All the other major companies are trying to chase Destiny, or competitive multiplayer games. Once you look outside the Sony bubble, suddenly all the AAA 3rd person story-driven singleplayer games start to dwindle, real quick. Especially going forward. Let's see you've got: Agents of Mayhem (lol), Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, and....?

Microsoft said they've basically given up on making those types of games in favor of chasing multiplayer money. EA's all in on sports games, competitive multiplayer, and their Destiny-like--hopefully that Visceral project isn't "always online", and if DA4 manages to come out in 2019 like people are hoping that too. Ubisoft's projects are all some variant on Destiny-type games. Nintendo...I mean, you've got Zelda and Xenoblade (if we're counting J-RPGs but I don't think we are) and that's it.

Who else does the kind of games Sony does in the AAA space still? I'm open to being wrong--it's 6AM and I just woke up so I could be missing a lot, lol.
don't know about your first question but a game like DMC could benefit from a budget bigger than R&Cs

Your second question, Ubisoft is still publishing games like Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and Bethesda is publishing Wolfenstein (which is first person but it's a still a story driven shooter). Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight were only 2 years ago.

Regardless, I don't see why the dwindling number of these games means Sony's AAA pillar HAS to go all in on them

If that's what they want to make, then that's what they want to make. I'd rather they not to tackle different genres for the sake of it if they're not invested in the project.

Guerrilla wanted to make an open-world post-apocalyptic RPG and could have stuck with Killzone, but in the end, we received a fantastic game instead of a continuation of the same franchise that I wasn't interested in playing. That it's third-person and narrative-driven -- which constitute many of my favorite games in recent years -- are fine. The games themselves are very different from one another despite being narrative-driven.

I just want a new AE. A real platformer and not some mini-game BS. I wouldn't even care if they had it running on the PS2 engine. And I think with the success of Ratchet and Crash, it should show Sony that there's a very real interest in platformers on the console.

I'm really interested in seeing what the potential remaster games are this year at PSX. I really want a new Jumping Flash and/or Ape Escape. And SOCOM 2 and Warhawk remasters make a ton of sense as well. I've said it before, but Sony has a history of not managing their old IP's well. Not in the sense that they let them go to shit, but rather they just let them fade away. As I said, cute platformers have already shown they can perform very well on the platform. And they've now got a strong multiplayer structure as well as being the primary console for many multiplayer games, so bringing back games like SOCOM and Warhawk could allow them to find a new audience. SOCOM at one time was huge, and I think Warhawk could be potentially huge on the PS4. And Warhawk in particular at 1080p/fps version of the PS3 game is all they'd need to do. They wouldn't need to create it from scratch like they may want to do for SOCOM 2.

It looks like Sony really sees no value in SOCOM which really sucks but i hope we atleast get PUBG on ps4.

Bump to check on Dreams status, if someone knows if there are new infos, pics or tweets. Are there any chances that we get a trailer or beta at GamesCon?

Dadasch

PUBG is a timed exclusive. My guess: Just for the still ongoing Early Access phase which will probably end in december or 1st quarter 2018.

Well not really new info or shocking, but here's something I guess.
A dev working at Media Molecule expects to ship it before 08/08/2018.
https://twitter.com/martinbtaylor/status/894962210451202050

Thanks for that. Maybe that means Dreams will join the rest of the promising line-up for a 2018 release.

Did I miss something?!? When did this get announced? This is some of the best news I have read all year if this is the case.

I haven't read anything official, so either they did or that was just an assumption based on the two upcoming releases Supermassive has.

But if there's news I missed, feel free to share it, folks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about Bravo Team.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the fact that I only completed five PlayStation 3 exclusives overall and have already doubled that number this generation and that it doesn't include Hellblade, Matterfall, U: TLL and other future titles, I can easily say that PlayStation 4 has easily blown away last generation for me and it's only halfway or so done. A lot of Sony's future games whether first party, third party or independent have me hyped. Days Gone being number one, God of War, Detroit, Spider Man, Death Stranding are just a few of them.

Even on the Microsoft side, I have also doubled the exclusives that I have completed compared to Xbox 360. PS4 is for exclusives, psn/indies and multi-platform games while Xbox One is exclusively (lol) just for exclusives.

Can't speak for anyone else but as a gamer, this generation has been awesome for me. I'm even playing games or will play games in genres that I haven't played in literally decades. Racing games such as the Forza Horizon franchise on Xbox, fighting games from NetherRealm and JRPG's like Setsuna, DRAGON QUEST XI next year, possibly Ys Origin and VIII and just playing so much.

Overall, I have never ever been more into gaming and playing/completing games than I am this generation. Imagine if I was also a PC gamer (im not at all and have no interest in PC gaming) or owned a Switch. Seriously, forget about it as there wouldn't be enough hours in the day.

As for the Sony first party exclusives being similar or whatever, works 100% for me. Pure single player story driven focused is exactly what I want and prefer the most. Plus, they all look great.

Top Bottom