• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

BadWolf

I don't get why people are making the $80M argument. If he was snatched up by Sony, he would be developing for 1 platform, not 5 like in MGSV.

Yeah, it's not like he has to make a large scale open world game again, after 7 years he probably doesn't even want to any time soon.

People are getting all hyped up over very little.

A meet up between Cerny and Kojima does not necessarily mean a hire.
He probably will start a new studio with the best people he could bring from Kojima Productions and work on something else entirely new. He would have the kind of creative freedom that neither Microsoft nor Sony would ever give him (and certainly not Konami).
Isn't Sony known for giving their devs a great deal of freedom?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
People are getting all hyped up over very little.

A meet up between Cerny and Kojima does not necessarily mean a hire.
He probably will start a new studio with the best people he could bring from Kojima Productions and work on something else entirely new. He would have the kind of creative freedom that neither Microsoft nor Sony would ever give him (and certainly not Konami).
Sony epitomizes giving developers creative freedom.

Shabad

Good lord, thanks to you guys I am foreseeing a Japan Studio with Toyama and Kojima directing games, while still collaborating with Ueda and Miyazaki. And this is beautiful.

Provided said developer agrees, of course.

And more recently, had lay offs in SSM, Sucker Punch and Evolution. Ueda is no longer a Sony employee, he is now a third party partner. They just don't don't do that sort of thing any more.

Studios lay people off when a game ships then go on a hiring spree when the game gets within a year or two of release.

They have let guerilla work on horizob since 2011. Same with media molecule and dreams. They have a ton of AAA games in development.

fvng

Japan Studio has so much talent. It's sad they aren't churning out more games more often.

Puppeteer, Rain, Tokyo Jungle, Gravity Rush, Siren, Ape Escape, Locoroco.. Sony should just give them free reign to do whatever they want.

They are, but there are limits. And we all know Kojima would challenge them. Sony certainly is not going to repeat the mistakes they made with Ueda.

Mistakes? If they had the chance I'm sure Sony would've kept him, TLG took time to be made but like Shu said it didn't really cost them a fortune.

Ueda brings prestige to WWS, they would be foolish to let him go.

There is no such thing as a Sony first party engine that doesn't have support. One of the main things Sony does with its internal WWS teams is share tools and code and ideas ad breakthroughs. If Sony Japan requested the SF engine code from GG it would no doubt have " Japanese documentation " within a week and fully supported

Yes, because it's that easy. Sony waves their hand and it magically happens within a week. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? We're talking about a complex engine with millions of lines of code, not relatively simple pieces of code or tools. Even if the documentation exists (my guess is it's currently fairly limited, because there's no point creating a lot for an engine that's almost entirely used by the same two internal studios), translating that would take a shitload of time. And as for support, unless Kojima's team are going to give Guerrilla or Xdev a call every time they run into a problem (from a different time zone and in a different language, two major problems with that idea), how are Japan Studio going to build a support team that has intricate knowledge of the engine that quickly?

UE4 provides fantastic Japanese documentation and support because that's one of its main selling points and they've poured a lot of money and time into it. They're the only major engine that offers those and even then it still took Epic years to do (just look at how much of a mess Japanese UE3 games were last gen, Japanese devs had no idea how to use it).

GnawtyDog

Banned

And more recently, had lay offs in SSM, Sucker Punch and Evolution. Ueda is no longer a Sony employee, he is now a third party partner. They just don't don't do that sort of thing any more.

That thing being millions lost. On the indie space it usually means studio closure aka unemployment too. I don't picture Kojima as a Ueda lite..not in the slightest and their works reflect that.

Yes, because it's that easy. Sony waves their hand and it magically happens within a week. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? We're talking about a complex engine with millions of lines of code, not relatively simple pieces of code or tools. Even if the documentation exists (my guess is it's currently fairly limited, because there's no point creating a lot for an engine that's almost entirely used by the same two internal studios), translating that would take a shitload of time. And as for support, unless Kojima's team are going to give Guerrilla or Xdev a call every time they run into a problem (from a different time zone and in a different language, two major problems with that idea), how are Japan Studio going to build a support team that has intricate knowledge of the engine that quickly?

UE4 provides fantastic Japanese documentation and support because that's one of its main selling points and they've poured a lot of money and time into it. They're the only major engine that offers those and even then it still took Epic years to do (just look at how much of a mess Japanese UE3 games were last gen, Japanese devs had no idea how to use it).

Using an engine like UE4 is completely pointless and unnecessary within WWS. They have the ICE team for a reason ( ICE stands for Initiiative for Common Engines ). The tools that GG uses for Killzone SF are the same as the ones for Polyphony or Sony Japan or whom ever. Of course the studios will go in and customize the tools already available to them to make them work for their games specific purposes but what GG is doing with their engine is not some foreign mystery to Yoshida and other teams internally within the studio. They all collaborate together which is why the first party studios are so frequently able to raise the bar no matter the size of the team.

The week thing was an exaggeration of course but no doubt if Kojima requested the ability to use that toolset they would have it ready for him in relatively short time. It's not like the tools are being written with some foreign programming language. They are all using the same programming language no matter the country.

The lay offs at SSM were made because the game was being cancelled, they actually let the situation be for far too long since the game was supposed to release last year.

The lay offs at Sucker Punch are usual after shipping a game, they started to hire since October 2014.

Evolution I don't really know since they stated that they would work on Driveclub as a "service".

And as for Ueda he's the one who left.

Rymuth

Oh? What is he doing there? Writing? What games has he worked on at SCEJ?

51enQ0qqu4L.jpg

Freedom_Wars_cover.jpg
^

Chobel

Using an engine like UE4 is completely pointless and unnecessary within WWS. They have the ICE team for a reason ( ICE stands for Initiiative for Common Engines ). The tools that GG uses for Killzone SF are the same as the ones for Polyphony or Sony Japan or whom ever. Of course the studios will go in and customize the tools already available to them to make them work for their games specific purposes but what GG is doing with their engine is not some foreign mystery to Yoshida and other teams internally within the studio. They all collaborate together which is why the first party studios are so frequently able to raise the bar no matter the size of the team.

The week thing was an exaggeration of course but no doubt if Kojima requested the ability to use that toolset they would have it ready for him in relatively short time. It's not like the tools are being written with some foreign programming language. They are all using the same programming language no matter the country.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a source for the bold text.

Haha, I am sure you know this but I doubt you'll get one. I am sure some bits are shared here and there, but given they all make their own engines, all their tools will be proprietary and designed around the type of game they're making.

It is pretty much common knowledge at this point. What do you think Cerny has been doing all these years? The whole point behind creating the ICE team was to give the first party studios the same set of tools to utilize for their engines. The ATF toolset that is used by ND and Santa Monica in creating some of their internal tools being used in projects.

This is not some secret, its been going on since the PS2 days.

Authoring Tools Framework (ATF) is a set of C#/.NET components for making tools on Windows®. ATF has been used by most Sony Computer Entertainment first party game studios to make many custom tools such as Naughty Dog's level editor and shader editor for The Last of Us™, Guerrilla Game's sequence editor for Killzone™ games (including the Killzone: Shadow Fall™ PS4™ launch title), an animation blending tool at Santa Monica Studios, a level editor at Bend Studio, a visual state machine editor for Quantic Dream, sound editing tools, and many others. ATF has been in continuous development in Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios central tools group since early 2005.

Why would Sony spend all this effort and money on creating internal toolsets for all its developers just to have them waste time creating everything they need from scratch? I'm sure some have done it over the years, but its quite well known how it all works out there as its been stated across many interviews and articles over the years.

What is the ICE Team?

Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony’s World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies used by all PlayStation developers. The ICE Team has been involved with the development of the PlayStation®4 since its inception, including hardware design, graphics libraries, performance analysis tools, and developer support (hardware evangelism).

And that is right there on ND's website. I mean ... this is not a secret or something new

ZarKryn7

People seem to forget that Sony is usually on board for helping out new independent studios such as Wild Sheep, Ovosonico, Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs and have them make few exclusive games for them. I could see that to be a case for kojima. He may go independent and partner with Sony.

People seem to forget that Sony is usually on board for helping out new independent studios such as Wild Sheep, Ovosonico, Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs and have them make few exclusive games for them. I could see that to be a case for kojima. He may go independent and partner with Sony.

^this

There's a hell of a lot more to game engines that just the low level stuff ICE Team and other SCE R&D groups put out. Guerrilla's engine is just that, Guerrilla's engine, not just some internal SCE engine that's been slightly modified by Guerrilla. And all of Sony's internal studios have the choice to develop their own solution if they think they've got something better.

Why do I think Kojima will use UE4? Because I don't see him joining Sony, I see him going independent and then getting his first game published by Sony (though unlike a lot of you, I still think him joining Sony is far from a sure thing). And in that case, UE4 is the obvious pick if he wants to get his first game out within a few years.

But even if he were to join Japan Studio, there's zero chance he'd use Guerrilla's engine. As I've pointed out, the difficulty and cost would greatly outweigh the benefits. He'd be far better off using whatever Japan Studio are using internally.

Agreed. Though now that you mention it, Wild Sheep is actually a pretty good precedent of what may happen with Kojima. High profile developer splits off from the company he'd worked at for 25+ years, founds an independent studio and Sony picks up their first game.

A Kojima SCE studio is a match made in heaven.
Agreed, especially considering how well the Miyazaki's partnership worked out.

Sony has the ability to provide not only financial backing, but also trust. I'd imagine someone like Kojima would be searching for exactly that kind of arrangement. I really hope the Cerny photo is a hint of things to come.

GeoramA

Yeah this seems like the most likely scenario. It's a nice trend Sony has started and I expect to see similar announcements made at PGW.

FelipeMGM

Team siren would be a good team for him to join at Sony, be closest we'll ever get of Silent Hills.

Too bad they are Team Gravity now. If GR2 is a success on PS4 I bet they will keep working on the IP

Great point, its prob the most likely scenario. And speculating even more, Sony allowed Heavy Spectrum to work on the Shadow Of The Beast IP, which one you guys think Kojima could revitalize for Sony? Syphon Philter is a very obvious one.

Boke1879

Too bad they are Team Gravity now. If GR2 is a success on PS4 I bet they will keep working on the IP

Great point, its prob the most likely scenario. And speculating even more, Sony allowed Heavy Spectrum to work on the Shadow Of The Beast IP, which one you guys think Kojima could revitalize for Sony? Syphon Philter is a very obvious one.

I can see Kojima working on smaller projects now. I'm sure the man has tons of ideas

ZarKryn7

Oh man, as much as I want Kojima to make a Syphon Filter game, my intuition tells me he wants to something other than another 3rd person TPS stealth game. Kinda what Toyama did after they made siren and silent hills.

BadWolf

Oh man, as much as I want Kojima to make a Syphon Filter game, my intuition tells me he wants to something other than another 3rd person TPS stealth game. Kinda what Toyama did after they made siren and silent hills.

ZOE could use a spiritual successor...

Boke1879

I'd love for him to do something similar to ZOE. Let him make a mech game lol.

Corpsepyre

Banned
GTA V cost THAT much? Mind blown. Well, it shows too though.

How is game budget divided? Where does the money go mainly and what costs the most? Never really thought about this.

GTA V cost THAT much? Mind blown. Well, it shows too though.

How is game budget divided? Where does the money go mainly and what costs the most? Never really thought about this.

If I had to guess. 130M game development, 135M marketing.

It's usually a ~50/50 split in the movie business.

zsynqx

I wonder what Uncharted 4, Horizon and the next God of War cost. Surely more than 80m for each, or about there? Isn't 80m standard AAA cost these days, or am I wrong?

Just for curiosity's sake, what does GTA cost these days?

Uncharted 4 is likely to be Naughty Dog's most expensive game. For reference, Uncharted 1 had about 70 developers, 2 had about 90, 3 had about 110, Last of us about 150 and arne confirmed over 200 working on Uncharted 4. That combined with the longer than usual development time for Naughty Dog titles, I can imagine this one costing quite a bit. However, past naughty dog titles have been very cheap relative to other studios so not sure it will get close to that 80m number.

Horizon again has been in development a long time and similar to Naughty Dog, the studio have had a rather rapid increase in employees over the last year and a bit. Added to the fact that the game is supposed to be a giant open world I imagine this too will be guerrilla's most expensive game.

GoW4 I have no idea about but you can be damn sure that Sony sunk a lot of money into Stig's cancelled IP.

Uncharted 4 is likely to be Naughty Dog's most expensive game. For reference, Uncharted 1 had about 70 developers, 2 had about 90, 3 had about 110, Last of us about 150 and arne confirmed over 200 working on Uncharted 4. That combined with the longer than usual development time for Naughty Dog titles, I can imagine this one costing quite a bit. However, past naughty dog titles have been very cheap relative to other studios so not sure it will get close to that 80m number.

Horizon again has been in development a long time and similar to Naughty Dog, the studio have had a rather rapid increase in employees over the last year and a bit. Added to the fact that the game is supposed to be a giant open world I imagine this too will be guerrilla's most expensive game.

GoW4 I have no idea about but you can be damn sure that Sony sunk a lot of money into Stig's cancelled IP.

Dreams has been in development since 2011 and they had to work like crazy to create the tech that can support that games vision.

Top Bottom