• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really hope Bend's game does not get a CGI reveal either, but generally speaking I think Sony has pretty much moved away from that by now. God of War Ascension had a short CGI teaser, but I can't think of any other games they revealed since the PS3 early days which had a CGI trailer.

As for God of War, Corey had said it's in development and SSM have heavily hinted that they'll be showing something next month, so I think it's going to be the big centrepiece game..

It could be one reason why we don't see Sony revealing games too early in development. The fact that we have been seeing less and less CGI reveals. Unlike MS, that is.

I really hope SSM is present in a big way at PSX next month. I don't want them showing their smaller-scaled external developed titles only.

zsynqx

thanks for the updates man, will change it !

i guess after UC 4 launched, the number will get reduced again

I have been stalking that linkedin the last couple of days and they have hired some industry vets since starting work on UC4.

A couple that spring to mind (from game design) are the lead designer on all of the OG infinity ward CODs and Titanfall, the lead level designer on Halo 4 and the senior designer on Mirrors Edge. Felt a bit weird looking at people's work history etc. but it is public domain and super fascinating :p

with all these big shooters like Destiny, COD, BF and eventually Titanfall...im not sure if Sony really needs their own big FPS IP (where they failed the past years anyway)

Those Destiny/Battlefront Deals are probably enough

Exactly, I really enjoyed the original Resistance and all the Killzones, but I'd rather see them work on something new like say a Space Opera named COLONY WARS! Sooo many competition in the FPS genre, why even bother anymore?

zsynqx

thanks for the updates man, will change it !

i guess after UC 4 launched, the number will get reduced again

Number of employees through Linkedin

Total Naughty Dog employees: 288
https://www.linkedin.com/company/naughty-dog

Total Guerrilla Games employees: 278
https://www.linkedin.com/company/guerrilla-games

Total Quantic Dream employees: 167
https://www.linkedin.com/company/quantic-dream

Total Sucker Punch employees: 97
https://www.linkedin.com/company/sucker-punch-productions

Total Evolution Studios employees: 70
https://www.linkedin.com/company/evolution-studios

Total Media Molecule employees: 53
https://www.linkedin.com/company/media-molecule

Sony Santa Monica is difficult as they don't have a linkedin page so I searched all Playstation employees in the Greater Los Angeles area and there were 218

Japenese tend not to use linkedin as much so didn't bother with Japan Studio etc.

I guess I'll do a full update of this

Naughty Dog: 306
https://www.linkedin.com/company/13609?trk=prof-0-ovw-curr_pos

Guerrilla Games: 280
https://www.linkedin.com/company/guerrilla-games

Quantic Dream: 174
https://www.linkedin.com/company/quantic-dream

Sucker Punch: 99
https://www.linkedin.com/company/sucker-punch-productions

Evolution Studios: 67
https://www.linkedin.com/company/evolution-studios

Media Molecule: 54
https://www.linkedin.com/company/media-molecule

If Sucker Punch are ~100 staff then they've grown again pretty rapidly ever since reducing the studio size down to about 60 after Second Son/First Light shipped last year. Obviously in full production for their next title.

Personally, I'd like to see them do something other than Infamous, but I think that'll be their jam for some time yet.

zsynqx

If Sucker Punch are ~100 staff then they've grown again pretty rapidly ever since reducing the studio size down to about 60 after Second Son/First Light shipped last year. Obviously in full production for their next title.

Personally, I'd like to see them do something other than Infamous, but I think that'll be their jam for some time yet.

I would like to see them make something linear, but they are currently hiring for a "next generation open-world game."

kyser73

Quick question - was the Matterfall trailer CGI or running on the Resogun engine?

I mean even if it was it was 'CGI' but I was curious if it was an in-engine thing.

I really like the controls in the Infamous games. I like the character animations, I like the physics, the cutscenes, the writing and the depiction of different powers (even if I'd like it if the attacks felt more unique and no so much of a palette-swap). However, I've always felt like the cities have been a bit dull and not really utilised, mission design needs a lot of work (there tends to be about 1 interesting mission to every 3 bland ones) and it needs to feel more alive, with NPCs doing more and feeling like they have more of a purpose.

I hope they can address these things in their next game, because I really think they're inches from Sony's top-tier of developers, but just always miss out on reaching that bar.

DKHF

I hope they're making a new IP, thought the Infamous games were fine but have never been a huge fan of them/liked them as much as Sucker Punch's Sly games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're making a new Infamous for 2017.

I have been stalking that linkedin the last couple of days and they have hired some industry vets since starting work on UC4.
That seems to be the norm recently across many Sony (partnered) studios. I noticed a bigger influx of CG industry talent as well. For example Quantic Dream hired one of the CG Supervisors from Avatar and a Senior Lighter who worked on Gravity. As for vets from the gaming industry they got the Lead Cinematic Designer of Mass Effect and apparently Ubisoft's Massive (The Division) Animation Director bailed too as he is with QD now.

GG is so fucking huge. Holy crap.

Also, a small team at ND is probably working on a sequel to TLoU.

i sure hope so. I remember an interview after TLOU released, where Druckman said that 150 people were working on TLOU.
Now they have over 300 & maybe 80-100 are already working on the next game??

Now that Amy Henning left ? Are there some new directors at Naughty Dog ?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Found this posted by someone on Cory Barlog's Twitter, and thought it was funny.

CTUuuStWUAAWXHS.jpg:large

The guy then asked him if he was ready for PSX, and Cory replied with 'almost never :)'

Dunno.

I'm not buying the statement that NG is only working on one game at the moment. I'm expecting a new game by Q4 2017 from them, preferably a new IP and then TLOU2. U4 would have probably come out Q1 to summer time this year had it not been for the massive amount of changes they made as well, which I noted for it taking so much longer compared to how long they usually take.

GG is so fucking huge. Holy crap.

Also, a small team at ND is probably working on a sequel to TLoU.

Don't forget that Guerrilla is situated across three offices - two in Amsterdam and one in Cambridge (assuming that total includes all their employees).

As for TLoU2, I don't think it will happen without Druckmann & Straley, so if there's another team at ND working on anything else it's probably an original property.

i sure hope so. I remember an interview after TLOU released, where Druckman said that 150 people were working on TLOU.
Now they have over 300 & maybe 80-100 are already working on the next game??

Now that Amy Henning left ? Are there some new directors at Naughty Dog ?
Hopefully. I love Druckmann, but I hope new people with new ideas take on the new IP and then he takes over TLOU2 after U4 is done.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Eric Jensen ‏@Lorderk Nov 12
Hey guys, I'm nobody special. Don't think that I'll ever be the one announcing anything. I'm just super excited for #PSX and to see friends.

Eric Jensen ‏@Lorderk Nov 12
Hey guys, I'm nobody special. Don't think that I'll ever be the one announcing anything. I'm just super excited for #PSX and to see friends.
Hahaha why you lying is the first picture. I've said before but if Bend doesn't shown their game at this event, I no longer care what they make at this point. Their last game was in 2011 and we are discussing if maybe we get an announcement in December of 2015. What the hell happened to this studio post PS2 era?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hahaha why you lying is the first picture. I've said before but if Bend doesn't shown their game at this event, I no longer care what they make at this point. Their last game was in 2011 and we are discussing if maybe we get an announcement in December of 2015. What the hell happened to this studio post PS2 era?
You are a ridiculous drama queen.

What, how am I a drama queen?
I quoted your post in full, but the first two sentences are what I'm referring to.

Just honor the part about not caring what they are making, because their project doesn't follow your announcement and/or scheduling whim.

I imagine the vast majority of the company is working on Uncharted 4, but hopefully they have a small team prototyping or in pre-production for something new. Savage Starlight is going to take an extra-long time if Druckmann and Straley are leading on it!

I hope they do something with 'Savage Starlight', it's such a cool name.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Gotta add. SSM edited that bit about PSX 2 being big for them on their site quite recently. I Checked that same post a month or so back, and the bit was still there.

You are a ridiculous drama queen.

I quoted your post in full, but the first two sentences are what I'm referring to.

Just honor the part about not caring what they are making, because their project doesn't follow your announcement and/or scheduling whim.
What the hell are you talking about? It's perfectly acceptable for someone to not care about a studio who made awesome games before and has dropped the ball big time for about a decade now. They don't have to follow my announcement expectations similar to me not caring what they make after years of not releasing anything.

Gotta add. SSM edited that bit about PSX 2 being big for them on their site quite recently. I Checked that same post a month or so back, and the bit was still there.

It could be that they were supposed to keep it as a complete surprise.

Or it could be Everybody's Gone to the Rapture 2: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO QUEUE IF EVERYONE HAS DISAPPEARED?! Or Journey 2, but it will be called 2 Journey 2 Furious and feature car modding and an open-world city.

I'm sure they will be there, but I guess they didn't want people assuming they'd be there for something big, hence the edit.

Sigh.
:(

Was really looking forward to seeing the new GoW at PSX. I know it's silly to take something like this as any kind of confirmation, but it's not looking too good.

It could be that they were supposed to keep it as a complete surprise.
Normally I would subscribe to this theory and it makes a lot of sense, but that message was up for close to a year and according to the member above it was edited only recently. If they made a mistake in posting it because it was meant to be under wraps, I would think they would've edited a lot sooner.

Was really looking forward to seeing the new GoW at PSX. I know it's silly to take something like this as any kind of confirmation, but it's not looking too good.

I can see them doing a teaser at the very least that gives an indication of which direction they're gonna take it in. Gameplay reveal at E3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What the hell are you talking about? It's perfectly acceptable for someone to not care about a studio who made awesome games before and has dropped the ball big time for about a decade now. They don't have to follow my announcement expectations similar to me not caring what they make after years of not releasing anything.
Yeah feel free to not care as much as you want. I'm just hoping that you start not caring soon and not announce how much you don't care and not call people liars on twitter because you got hyped based on your own delusion.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Lets see. It's a weird edit. Maybe they were going to show something, but bailed out recently. Can't know. I'm hoping they still show GoW.

Yeah feel free to not care as much as you want. I'm just hoping that you start not caring soon and not announce how much you don't care.
You`re acting like a child. I posted it once. Would you like to give me a list of studios that I can not talk in a negative manner from now on, so I don`t hurt your feelings?

The why you lying part was a joke by the way. It was funny tweet by that person regardless if it's true.

Wasn't it a case of them working on another Vita game before Sony decided to basically pull the software plug on Vita? I also read they pitched a few ideas and worked on different prototypes before starting on the game they're currently making.

It's not like they've been working on this one game since Uncharted.

Anyhow, whatever it is, I hope it makes an impression.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Wasn't it a case of them working on another Vita game before Sony decided to basically pull the software plug on Vita? I also read they pitched a few ideas and worked on different prototypes before starting on the game they're currently making.

Yeah, I was the one who posted that topic as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977531

They had several prototypes scraped yeah.

De_Legend

Banned

Pretty sure it's not inFamous, if I remember right a small team was already working or at least pitching ideas on the new (next) title while the others were making Second Son.

They said that on the PS ILY podcast, or at least the kinda funny crew.

Shin-Ra

I've said before but if Bend doesn't shown their game at this event, I no longer care what they make at this point. Their last game was in 2011 and we are discussing if maybe we get an announcement in December of 2015. What the hell happened to this studio post PS2 era?
You`re acting like a child. I posted it once.
Whenever somebody says "if x developer doesn't show their game at x event, I don't care anymore!" I find them pretty childish.

Don't forget that Guerrilla is situated across three offices - two in Amsterdam and one in Cambridge (assuming that total includes all their employees).

As for TLoU2, I don't think it will happen without Druckmann & Straley, so if there's another team at ND working on anything else it's probably an original property.

Think that makes ND just seem monstrous.

Don't think there's any way that ND is only working on 1 thing, or even 1 thing with a small side team.
But maybe...

vypek

Meh, I actually understand the sentiment of not caring after long anticipation. You wait and wait for something that never happens and instead of being anxious, you just want to give up on it. Fortunately, I don't have this problem though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That seems to be the norm recently across many Sony (partnered) studios. I noticed a bigger influx of CG industry talent as well. For example Quantic Dream hired one of the CG Supervisors from Avatar and a Senior Lighter who worked on Gravity. As for vets from the gaming industry they got the Lead Cinematic Designer of Mass Effect and apparently Ubisoft's Massive (The Division) Animation Director bailed too as he is with QD now.

Huge gets for Quantic Dreams, damn.

Either ND will try to restructure themselves into a two-project studio against post-UC4, or they will instead try to use their headcount on single projects to go back to their 2-year release cycle.

I don't really see ND being forced to do layoffs. I think they'd rather propose to Sony that UC4 will be supported with SP DLC for 2 whole years than layoff a lot of headcount.

Top Bottom