• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Hexa

oh ...

looked just like something that would come from the PS Blog. Font and everything.

It looks really well made, and I can't find the actual source (just repost after repost), but there's a bunch of stuff that officially wouldn't be there.
Like Yakuza 6 isn't confirmed for localization for the West and it would actually be a pretty big announcement so I don't think they'd just drop it there. There are a couple other titles that are sketchy enough localization wise to the point they're probably coming but Sony probably wouldn't use them for advertising purposes.
The biggest issue is that a new God of War isn't officially confirmed yet. Yes. It has been talked about but not officially announced yet. And for that matter, we most certainly don't know if its featuring Kratos or not, and with the debates raging on about that, that would be a major announcement on its own.

Dinjooh

They did Medieval Moves along with Sports Champions 1 & 2. Aside from that they've released a few mobile games, which is why it seems like they could go either way when it comes to their next PlayStation project. Since they're being overseen by Sony San Diego it could be some F2P game, as the studio is focusing on that when it comes to external support, or it could be a VR project due to their heavy involvement with PS Move.

I wonder just how much they're actually putting into this project as the careers page on their website all has to do with mobile games. Hopefully it's just because they're already fully staffed for their PS4 game and that it's far into production.

I was under the impression that they stopped working on their PS4 project. Right after the launch of PS4 and for most of 2014, their website was plastered all over with 'ps4 announced' and ' working on next project for PS4. (i'm sure timemachine will have lots of that stored) and around.. Half a year ago when I last checked their site, every mention of new projects with ps4 were removed.

Really hope I'm wrong though, thoroughly enjoyed Sports Champions.

Replicant

DfzOpdK.jpg

Sooo good.gif

I can't wait for many of these. Especially:

Uncharted 4
Detroit
Persona 5
Ni-Oh
Shenmue 3
NieR Automata
Yakuza 6
Gravity Rush 2

What's MatterFall? It looks interesting.

Dinjooh

Sooo good.gif

I can't wait for many of these. Especially:

Uncharted 4
Detroit
Persona 5
Ni-Oh
Shenmue 3
NieR Automata
Yakuza 6
Gravity Rush 2

What's MatterFall? It looks interesting.

New game by Housemarque. Iirc it's a top down twin stick shooter, or at least I'm quite sure that's how Verendus described it.

Edit:

His exact words were:

"It's a 2D shooting game if I recall correctly. Not much to explain really."

Kasper

I was under the impression that they stopped working on their PS4 project. Right after the launch of PS4 and for most of 2014, their website was plastered all over with 'ps4 announced' and ' working on next project for PS4. (i'm sure timemachine will have lots of that stored) and around.. Half a year ago when I last checked their site, every mention of new projects with ps4 were removed.

Really hope I'm wrong though, thoroughly enjoyed Sports Champions.

Ouch. I was just going off of the image posted on the previous page. But it does say that this person worked on the PS4 project until April 2015, so it might very well be canceled. That'd line up with what you've observed.

Seems like a late cancellation in that case, though, 1½ years into development. And I think I recently heard San Diego's studio head praise Zindagi on a Kinda Funny Twitch stream, which would be odd if Sony just axed their game within the last few months. I'll go listen through that interview again just to be sure.

EDIT: He does talk about them about 40 minutes into this video in relation to the studios past involvement with PS Move. While all positive it's not really anything that points in either direction when it comes to their current involvement with Zindagi.

libregkd

No way, if we are lucky we will get some tidbits of information.

They have absolutely no business showing footage of that game until XV ships.
I'm pretty sure we'll get something, whether it's footage or not I don't know but Square has gone out and stated that they will be talking about more information regarding the VII remake this winter. Lines up perfectly with PSX but they could hold off until later in the month or just pretend they never said the next official update was coming up around then.

zsynqx

I can't flippin' wait to see some more UC4 single player. I am assuming we get a story trailer at PSX and, if we are lucky, a demo showing some exploration based gameplay.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love that Hunger is right in the middle, however I don't think that any platform has been announced. However, considering that Tarsier (the devs) previously worked with Sony, I hope that it's for PS4.

BTW, the game is being financed by a French European game development program, so I doubt it'll be exclusive.

EDIT: They have been retwitting fans asking Shu to have Hunger on stage, so it bodes well in that regard, I suppose.

EDIT 2: And they did retweet an outlet describing the game as a PS4 exclusive back in May. Man, I have no idea what's the status on this game heh.

I love that Hunger is right in the middle, however I don't think that any platform has been announced. However, considering that Tarsier (the devs) previously worked with Sony, I hope that it's for PS4.

BTW, the game is being financed by a French European game development program, so I doubt it'll be exclusive.

EDIT: They have been retwitting fans asking Shu to have Hunger on stage, so it bodes well in that regard, I suppose.

EDIT 2: And they did retweet an outlet describing the game as a PS4 exclusive back in May. Man, I have no idea what's the status on this game heh.

They have hinted at PS4 and PC development before and have worked on Tearaway Unfolded for PS4 so they have the dev kits. Doesn't matter if it's full exclusive or not ,Hunger being on the image isn't wrong.

Edit: Found the quote from the developer:

Simon_Tarsier Mod tom110584 • a year ago
We are currently aiming to make it a downloadable title for PS4. :)

Kasper

Tarsier's being very cagey about the platforms the game will appear on. After they initially talked about aiming for PS4 in comments on their blog and on Twitter, they've since gone back and started simply saying that they're keeping their options open regarding platforms and that they have yet to decide anything. So while their relationship with Sony points toward PS4, there's also the chance the game could come to pc and Xbox One.

Here's two interviews I found from earlier in the year where platforms were mentioned, as well as a Twitter reply about bringing the game to pc, making the multiplatform thing seem a bit more plausible: http://www.gamepur.com/feature/1825...lusive-hunger-suspense-adventure-meaning.html

Gamepur: European Union and Nordic Game funds allowed you to become a true indie developer. At this point, do you still plan to publish your game exclusively on PlayStation platforms or are you open to PC and Xbox? You should have known I was about to ask that...

Dave Mervik: Of course! And it's the question that has filled the message boards since the teaser came out. Right now, the platform is unconfirmed. I can't stop you reading too much into that, but it is quite simply that we are yet to make an official announcement.

http://www.onlysp.com/hunger-full-interview/

Tarsier have yet to announce any plans for Hunger’s release, and are still deciding exactly what platforms they’ll end up on. But with the export opinions available to them working in Unreal 4, they’re keeping their options open.

https://twitter.com/TarsierStudios/status/608517996395569152

@chralmus
@TarsierStudios When did Hunger become a PS4 Exclusive? Wanted to play on PC :/

‏@TarsierStudios
@chralmus It didn't. There's not been any announcement on the platform yet, so your PC dream may still come true! :)

sn00zer

Sony really needs a good drop in drop out AAA game ala Halo. Rocket League and Super Meat Boy are the only games I can do that currently, and neither are big games.

Mifune

Mehmber
It would be pretty funny if Bend's game was actually called Panic. Like Yoshida's hint from a while back.

And I can only speak for myself, but I'm okay with not seeing any more of Uncharted 4 before launch. Already feel like I've seen too much.

Do you think Sony will attempt to make a new FPS franchise ?
I say let it be. The space is stacked with competition and they would be better off letting third party do the work for them through association (a la Destiny). Outside of the shooter realm, Sony has almost everything else accounted for. Of course, it would be nice if they did have that major multiplayer shooter but, as I said above, it is just really tough now.

Do you think Sony will attempt to make a new FPS franchise ?

I don't think so, all their attempt failed, They're the only console maker to never have made a very successful FPS game. Even Nintendo has had the Prime series. I think they'll just rely on 3rd party properties like they're doing as of now. They already co marketed Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, Destiny and Far Cry 4. That's basically all the big FPS franchise currently out, I personally take it as an admission that they won't be pursuing that type of game.

Tell me more.

When the PS4 was announced he was asked what type of game he wanted to make for it and this was what he said

3. — "It's a staple, but I'd like to make an adventure epic in a vast imaginary world. User communication is becoming a standard feature, but I'd like to have people having fun sharing their experiences of what they felt or saw rather than just items or parameters. That, or something you can clear in a few hours, like a first person supernatural nightmare experience."

http://kotaku.com/5990489/japanese-developers-weigh-in-on-the-ps4

He was recently asked about if GR2 would support PSVR and this was his reply

“For now, we don’t expect to make a version of the game for PlayStation VR. But the team has been working on a prototype for virtual reality and it works very well. I’m finding this new platform to be very interesting. You should keep an eye on it.”

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/gravity-rush-2-teases-asynchronous-multiplayer

You can kinda see where this is headed...

Sony really needs a good drop in drop out AAA game ala Halo. Rocket League and Super Meat Boy are the only games I can do that currently, and neither are big games.
You will get that in Uncharted 4 come March. It would have been nice if it had dedicated servers though... I would like a studio to try and attempt a new IP for FPS. However I feel that field is stacked by the big dogs, it needs to feel noticeably different or it will be swept aside.

EDIT: I imagine PSX will open with God of War. Cannot wait to see GOW and Bend's new game. I'm hoping Sucker Punch shows their game as well. Shu said last month that it's already in playable form at PSI<3U podcast.

Dovahking

I say let it be. The space is stacked with competition and they would be better off letting third party do the work for them through association (a la Destiny). Outside of the shooter realm, Sony has almost everything else accounted for. Of course, it would be nice if they did have that major multiplayer shooter but, as I said above, it is just really tough now.

I don't think so, all they're attempt failed, They're the only console maker to never have made a very successful FPS game. Even Nintendo has had the Prime series. I think they'll just rely on 3rd party properties like they're doing as of now. They already co marketed Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, Destiny and Far Cry 4. That's basically all the big FPS franchise currently out, I personally take it as an admission that they won't be pursuing that type of game.

Yeah, agreed: this holiday is absolutely stacked with Destiny, BO3, Halo 5, Battlefront and Rainbow Six.

Shame, Resistance failed to succeed, games were great :(

or Toyama's idea for a new first person horror game. .

Believe :D

Mifune

Mehmber
When the PS4 was announced he was asked what type of game he wanted to make for it and this was what he said

http://kotaku.com/5990489/japanese-developers-weigh-in-on-the-ps4

He was recently asked about if GR2 would support PSVR and this was his reply

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/gravity-rush-2-teases-asynchronous-multiplayer

You can kinda see where this is headed...

Cool stuff. Thanks, man.

It's actually pretty frightening to think of what Toyama could pull off with VR.

salromano

Here's my edit of pager99's image of upcoming PS4-only (+PC, other PS platforms) games:

Side-note: in case I want to add/remove things in the future, does anyone know of a way to add new stuff in between current games without having to manual move everything else?

Edit: Shameless self promo, but I have updated lists of the latest PS4 exclusives, as well as exclusives across all other platforms, here: http://gematsu.com/exclusives/

FTF

Got this sweet ass image of PS4's exclusives. Courtesy of pager99

Yes, it includes console exclusives too

got damn, my wallet is crying.

Here's my edit of pager99's image of upcoming PS4-only (+PC, other PS platforms) games:

Side-note: in case I want to add/remove things in the future, does anyone know of a way to add new stuff in between current games without having to manual move everything else?

lol even worse/better!

That's a fucking huge list! Not even quoting it helps xD

Good job though.

Edit:

You could make the rows of 5 into 6 (effectively adding a missed title at the end of the row) which would prevent manual moving of everything. Hope this helps, you could also leave it like that and let the "and many more are coming" take effect :p

Double Edit: For reference

Rows 1 through 5 are Full PS4 Exclusives
Rows 6 through 17 are Japanese PlayStation Exclusives
Rows 18 and 19 are Indie Games that are Console Exclusive to PS4

More or less

salromano

Good job though.

Edit: For reference

More or less

It's actually by company. I started with SCE since it's their platform, and went alphabetically from there. So: SCE, Atlus (+Aquaplus for localization potential), Aksys Games, Arc System Works, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Falcom, GungHo (thus Republique), Idea Factory, Koei Tecmo, NEX Entertainment, Nippon Ichi (+Kadokawa Games for localization potential), Sega, Spike Chunsoft, Square Enix, XSEED Games, 5pb., independent games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Good job though.

Edit: For reference

More or less

Full PS4 exclusives are not gameplay oriented. Don't count.

Japanese games? Lol. Dismissed.

Indiestation 4. Dismissed.

Top Bottom