• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Disc-based. It's already been patented.

Okay but is it in the PS4? There is a long road from having a patent to actually including it in a consumer product this year.

Cause either it has this disc based DRM (which I highly doubt it does) in the console, or they can't really enforce any used game checks without online. I don't see any other options. I think Sony patented it for the future, and it wouldn't shock me if their console after the PS4 has it...but I just doubt they went for it this time.

spock

Sony also seems to have more interest in the international audience outside the USA so this makes sense. I also think that any hard DRM that would cause issues with used games is getting ditched with the PS4. However they may implement the tech for it but as has been said allow publisher to decide if its used or not on a game by game basis.

I think I'll post this in this thread as well.

From the Xbox One faq.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

What Michael Denny said in the PSM interview.

Playstation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/

I don't want to be rude but a person must be dense if they can't see the difference in those statements.

DRM is supported and at the discretion of whoever is releasing said game (i.e. most publishers, which will enforce connected encrpytion checks for their particular games, but is not console wide)? Just a thought...

It almost sounds like any other console, so that can't be the true story. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

Majmun

I can't believe people didn't read the OP after seeing that topic title...

And I haven't seen some of those articles before. Reading them kinda confirms that Ps4 won't require an internet connection.

I'm not getting this always online thing anyway. I guess it's for drm reasons, but you're also underestimating the amount of consumers that don't have an internet connection. That's a lot of missed sales.

Dragon

Banned
This is a joke post right? Those are just as obtuse and circular as Microsoft's statements. If Sony allowed something that Microsoft didn't why wouldn't they release it as a talking point and edge over their competitor? Why would they announce they are "listening" to gamers about always online/ DRM if they had already actually explicitly confirmed their stance?

Believe what you want but taking this as gospel is just asking for disappointment later on. Both consoles feature set is in flux.

I truly had no idea you were such an MS fan, you hide it pretty well in the NFL thread.

I don't see how calling me an idiot contradicts anything I said. If you find my logic faulty then please by all means to point it out. They clearly differentiate it from XBONE? I just don't see. Has Sony even compared themselves to XBONE yet? The latter is not related to what you said by the way.

Unless you know you actually work for Sony and then I would like to ask you to make a clear statement about what your online plans are for PS4 especially compared to PS3 (plus Vita)

It's not logic, your facts are wrong. The Xbox One cannot be used if you don't have an internet connection, because it'll shut off after 24 hours.

Sendou

Oh you have one already? That's pretty cool mate

I used my imagination. What it would be like to own a XBONE. What it would be like to play it offline? Competely cut out of internet?

I'm not planning on buying one. Connection required every 24 hour for a console? Get the fuck out of here.

It's not logic, your facts are wrong. The Xbox One cannot be used if you don't have an internet connection, because it'll shut off after 24 hours.

Of course it can be used if you don't have an internet connection. Just not over the 24h limit. Maybe we should draw a line between not ever having access to internet and having access to internet temporarily blocked.

nib95

Banned
Bloody great news! Now if Sony can just continue on this path with the No Used Game policies, I'm there day 0!

I can play my Xbox One just fine 99,99% of time. Wouldn't you say it's going "offline competely"?

You can play PS4 games even if it has never been connected to the internet. If you never connect an Xbox One to the internet it is just a very expensive Blu-ray player.

Okay but is it in the PS4? There is a long road from having a patent to actually including it in a consumer product this year.

Cause either it has this disc based DRM (which I highly doubt it does) in the console, or they can't really enforce any used game checks without online. I don't see any other options. I think Sony patented it for the future, and it wouldn't shock me if their console after the PS4 has it...but I just doubt they went for it this time.

The patent is from many years ago. Now is the future. Whether or not they're using it no one but them knows.

Partition

Banned
I can play my Xbox One just fine 99,99% of time. Wouldn't you say it's going "offline competely"?

If you go offline for over 24 hours you will be locked out of your games. At least this is the only logical conclusion I can draw from MS's statements.

I wonder how third parties will react to console choice..one gives them profit on used games...the other doesn't. And I'm not talking about EA and Activision ignoring the Wii U. But yeah I think it will be similar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously, though, who is on this forum is never going to go online with the next-gen systems? You'd be throwing half or more of the next-gen value proposition away by not connecting. Games updates, DD releases, DLC, system updates. That's just the mandatory reasons to have to connect. I highly doubt that it will be so easy to avoid having to connect. Until they detail the behavior of the console without connection, I don't trust simple statements especially when those guys aren't going to be directly involved or won't be able to dictate what everyone else making games for the system are doing. And this is, of course, leaving out the F2P/Freemium games that will most certainly need a connection.

Of course we'll all be online. But that isn't the point. The topic is about whether Sony will be implementing no used games or online DRM with Ps4. If they support offline play then by extension they can't rely on an Internet connection and therefore cannot use online based DRM.

paparazzo

Okay PR bullshit tell me your secrets.

Q: Is the PS4 console is designed to be connected in a 'permanent' way? What I'm asking is it will need to be connected all the time? And if so, how will this affect plans for PSN?

A: PlayStation 4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense, but the experience is much richer if you are connected. You will have access to digital content and the updates for your games, along with a wide range of social functions: upload videos and screenshots, see your friends play and interact with them in various ways within the games.

So what is the question. Connected all the time? Probably not. Just like XBONE doesn't require such a thing.

PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all.

Sure it can be enjoyed that way. Not unlike XBONE I am right?

Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections.

Robust=stable? If so then I think this is pretty self-explanatory. Could be that something was lost in translation

Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally.

Wow that's great. So it's like my XBONE then?

Man, console warz are the best.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess there is one possible scenario for the DRM stuff... Sony might require you to connect to the internet just once for every game, but after that you never have to connect again.

I'm really trying hard stretching credulity to try to see from the perspective of the cynics here, so ignore me if the scenario is as ridiculous as it seems after reading the quotes in the OP

Oersted

The same people who are saying PS4 won´t have DRM, are participating in the PS4NoDRM-"movement". Why fighting a fight which is already won?

Of course it can be used if you don't have an internet connection. Just not over the 24h limit. Maybe we should draw a line between not ever having access to internet and having access to internet temporarily blocked.

This is a weird argument. If I'm required to connect to the internet once a day, then I might as well be forced to be connected 24/7, because it still translates into me not being able to take my Xbox on military deployment, on vacation, to Europe etc etc. IMO Microsoft will alter the time limit from 24 hours to something more reasonable like a month.

Koren

You can't have DRM on games, if you don't require a net connection before every play
The DRM existed before the Internet (remember those one-use floppies, or serial dongles? Granted, floppies were mostly inefficient)...

And prepaid phone cards are mostly DRM devices...

I don't see why you couldn't have DRM without a connection. You just have to put a hardware thingy that is flagged with your account when you use the game for the first time, and is require for any further installation.

I would be REALLY complex to create a DRM that would allow game sharing on consoles you own but not resale without online connexions at all (and probably not perfect), but it could be done technically.

nib95

Banned
This is a joke post right? Those are just as obtuse and circular as Microsoft's statements. If Sony allowed something that Microsoft didn't why wouldn't they release it as a talking point and edge over their competitor? Why would they announce they are "listening" to gamers about always online/ DRM if they had already actually explicitly confirmed their stance?

Believe what you want but taking this as gospel is just asking for disappointment later on. Both consoles feature set is in flux.

Did you actually read the OP? Please put your bias aside for one moment and try and gauge the differences with logic and understanding.

Microsoft - The console is not always online, but does need to be connected to the internet every so often in order to be able to play games, the last figure was every 24 hours, though this is still up for change. In other words, it's not always connected but does need an internet connection to function.

Sony - The console does not need the internet at all to function or play games

At least the above is what can be surmised from the OP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't believe people didn't read the OP after seeing that topic title...

And I haven't seen some of those articles before. Reading them kinda confirms that Ps4 won't require an internet connection.

I'm not getting this always online thing anyway. I guess it's for drm reasons, but you're also underestimating the amount of consumers that don't have an internet connection. That's a lot of missed sales.

If you aren't online, then you aren't buying premium DLC etc. basically you aren't worth caring about

Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections.

Thank you. Even in the USA, there are several areas where the internet infrastructure is terrible. We are nowhere near the point where an online requirement for a console would be a triviality.

meppi

Well I'm one step closer to getting a PS4 now, that's for sure.
Even though I strongly dislike Sony and certain things they have done in the past.
That being said, I strongly dislike Microsoft as well, yet that didn't keep me from loving my 360s as much as I do.
So far for me: Sony:1 Microsoft:0

Lets hope they can score an equilizer at E3 and do away with this always online/DRM nonesense once and for all.

So no DRM then? If it can go offline completely then i dont see how they can use DRM.
There are different types of DRM.

These days DRM seems to be associated with the notion of some kind of internet callback being involved or the likes of Diablo or Sim City style DRM.

But traditional DRM, something to prevent you copying games has been around for donkeys years. Pretty much every PC game and PS3 and 360 games all have DRM right now, but just to make it difficult for you to make a copy of them, not to control who, what, why when and how the game is played.

StevieP

Banned
It almost sounds like any other console, so that can't be the true story. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

The important distinction is that across the games that publishers pushing for this are making, the DRM will be effectively the same between consoles.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Okay PR bullshit tell me your secrets.

Q: Is the PS4 console is designed to be connected in a 'permanent' way? What I'm asking is it will need to be connected all the time? And if so, how will this affect plans for PSN?

A: PlayStation 4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense, but the experience is much richer if you are connected. You will have access to digital content and the updates for your games, along with a wide range of social functions: upload videos and screenshots, see your friends play and interact with them in various ways within the games.

So what is the question. Connected all the time? Probably not. Just like XBONE doesn't require such a thing.

PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all.

Sure it can be enjoyed that way. Not unlike XBONE I am right?

Robust=stable? If so then I think this is pretty self-explanatory. Could be that something was lost in translation

Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally.

Wow that's great. So it's like my XBONE then?
No.

Sendou

I think I'll post this in this thread as well.

From the Xbox One faq.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

What Michael Denny said in the PSM interview.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/

I don't want to be rude but a person must be dense if they can't see the difference in those statements.

Like I have stated many times. You are comparing statements from different time periods. With XBONE we know about it's online. We know that XBOX Gold still exist. We know of DRM. We even know in-depth details about their XBOX Gold deal going to this generation.

Do we really know these details about PS4? Or could it be that statements regarding these two consoles aren't completely comparable? Because officially they have talked in detail about different aspects. For example Sony has been pretty in-depth about their indie program. Microsoft (if they're having one that is) haven't been so generous with details on the subject so far. So that's why I wouldn't compare these aspects just yet.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sendou:

J227tx5.gif

Haunted

Yosp: Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust internet.
It's almost like Sony is expressing interest in markets outside of the US.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I guess there is one possible scenario for the DRM stuff... Sony might require you to connect to the internet just once for every game, but after that you never have to connect again.

I'm really trying hard stretching credulity to try to see from the perspective of the cynics here, so ignore me if the scenario is as ridiculous as it seems after reading the quotes in the OP

That's only a thing on the Xbone because Microsoft requires every game to be installed the hdd, right? The disc is just a delivery device for the digital content.

If Sony are doing it like they've always done then it could work by a) reading the disc like every console for the past 15 years or b) like the 360 where you can install it and it checks the disc at boot to make sure you actually own the game but then just loads it off the hdd. Neither of those require an internet connection

Top Bottom