• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

Amir0x

Banned
So everybody just keeps ignoring this bit from a Kotaku article;This pretty much confirms no mandatory internet-connection-check-based (yes, I made that word up) DRM forced by hardware. Stop ignoring this quote. Please.

I added this quote with a link to the Kotaku article in the OP. Gave you a nod too, Tiemen, for the suggestion :)

I don't think they CAN because it falls into false advertising if they say a system has or lacks something and it doesnt have or lack those things.

The PS3 was backwards compatible, but no it isnt right now. They dont advertise that anymore.

They are not advertising that is does or doesn't require always online. Look I really do not care, I just do not accept PR spin at face value.

demolitio

It doesn't matter what Sony says even if it's as blatantly clear as the statement "2 is greater than 1", people will read what they want to read to justify whatever their favorite company is doing. Microsoft could say that they plan on making you buy a new controller every year by deactivating your old one and some people would still say that Sony is going to do the exact same thing but they just don't come right out and say it.

People should be rooting for the gamers and gaming in general and not specific companies, but those who do suit up in armor for their company in these great console wars won't see it that way. I'm not saying everything MS is doing is bad or vice versa, but on this issue it's pretty damn clear unless Sony is blatantly lying (instead of just half answers and PR spin). Either way, we'll find out in a few weeks and a lot of people will have to find new excuses to defend their kings in this war. To defend some of these policies now is to tell companies that it's alright to stomp on the consumers because some people will buy it anyway. We know both companies are aware of the outrage so it's up to them if they listen to their market or if they remain stubborn, but to even give these companies a slight hint that this shit doesn't matter and a few decent games will make up for their bad policies is to basically hurt the company you're so adamantly defending in the long-run as they lose some people due to their decisions that you defended.

And given how people didn't read the OP, I assume I typed those paragraphs more as a personal journal than anything else. :D

Ricky_R

I found it poetic way to represent my inability to pass my message ahead.

EDIT: Um, you did read the whole conversation? Or what I'm trying to say here, right?

Nop, I just read the hahahaha that you used to disguise? your disagreement. Haven't been able to read most of the other stuff because I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or trolling, so I didn't pay much attention.

The hahahaha grabbed my attention though.

That never made sense to me. Sometimes it seems like Sony purposely tries to lose money. Take PS+ for example: it's become such a good service it's incentivizing people NOT to buy games. I'm sure the loss of sales is higher than the cost of PS+.

It's kind of off topic but I've been wondering about this myself. Has this been discussed in a separate thread (can't find one) then please link.

Sendou

Nop, I just read the hahahaha that you used to disguise? your disagreement. Haven't been able to read most of the other stuff because I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or trolling, so I didn't pay much attention.

The hahahaha grabbed me though.

Well maybe you should. The pot calling the kettle black.

TheLight

They are not advertising that is does or doesn't require always online. Look I really do not care, I just do not accept PR spin at face value.
That is the thing, though. There is no spin. No alternate interpretation. That is a flatout confirmation. You're putting up your shield for absolutely nothing.

Oersted

I'm not "fighting" for anything, I'm not sure if I'm getting a PS4 anyway. Even without an online connection, used games can be prohibited or limited, there is other tech out there.

I'm not a fan of DRM, and it should be clear that regular calls home are not the only kind. I'm a PC gamer. I had to get into a terminal prompt and learn some new commands to get fucking DRM off my PC before, like I was manually removing a damn virus.

Have you seen all the posts stating "no always online" makes "no used games" and "drm" impossible? I´m honest here, this is quite confusing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So everybody just keeps ignoring this bit from a Kotaku article;This pretty much confirms no mandatory internet-connection-check-based (yes, I made that word up) DRM forced by hardware. Stop ignoring this quote. Please.
It doesn't mean that the hardware isn't capable of such a check. It just means that Sony isn't mandating it. Going by the wording, if publishers want that type of DRM they're free to implement it on the PS4.

I guess there is one possible scenario for the DRM stuff... Sony might require you to connect to the internet just once for every game, but after that you never have to connect again.

This is the EXACT rumor that's been floating around about the Xbox One.

The 24hr check will ONLY be for the privilege to play games without a disc in the drive.
If you don't have a online connection you still can play your games but you would have to have the disc in the drive (exactly how the 360 works now).

I expect both companies to use this set-up and have 'activation passes' replace "online passes" as a way to make money off used sales,hinder piracy,etc...

Most of my next gen gaming over the next 2 years will be in a dorm room with a crappy connection. This is definitely a God send for me and made my choice that much easier.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

The 24hr check will ONLY be for the privilege to play games without a disc in the drive.
If you don't have a online connection you still can play your games but you would have to have the disc in the drive (exactly how the 360 works now).

There is no rumor that you can use the disc for DRM purposes for the XB1. Everything they have said has been the disc is only used for a one time install.

Harrison: Yes, you can. You can take your game around to your friend’s house just as you would today — that’s assuming you have a physical disc — and what we’re doing with the new Live technology is that… with the disc, it’s just a repository for “the bits”. You can put that disc into his drive, you can play the game while you’re there, and then you go home and take that disc with you. But actually, “the bits” are still on his drive. If your friend decides that he really likes to play that game, then he can go buy it instantly, and it doesn’t need to download again. It’s already there. Once he’s paid for it, it’s immediately there.

Wired: So the discs that will be sold will essentially be start-up discs, and then the game isn’t really connected to the disc anymore once it’s been installed?

Harrison: Once you put the disc into your machine, you never need it again. If you want to keep it, that’s great. You can do that. But you can also download the game. You don’t actually have to have a physical disc after that point, but you can then share that disc with your friends which is basically a great way of distributing the content to other people.

Right. With today's consoles, you can mostly do that. My thing is that I don't see reason to fully swallow down that answer hook, line, and sinker. It's just too early to take things at face value considering the history of these corporations and the lack of answers from third parties who may well have no reason to follow through.
I agree with that. Honestly, none of these companies have done anything to earn 100% of my trust. However, there is no reason to believe they are lying. Really, all we can do now is wait.

I'm sort of surprised (not really) people are arguing for or against when we might have the answer in about a week.

Great OP. It all seems pretty cut and dried, and you have to admit that these guys have been singing a pretty consistent tune for a few months now. Contrast that to the constantly shifting and conflicting statement by MS's team. That tells me that either Sony has some incredibly iron-clad and professional worldwide PR, or the statements are based in the truth and therefore need no spinning. Maybe both.

Amir0x is certainly right about one thing: if they go back on these statements then its a HUGE fuck up and they've been outright lying - not merely spinning - for months.

Finally there is still the possibility of disc based DRM using that RFID patent, as people have said. I can't quite get my head around how that would work, but GAF is a skeptical and even paranoid bunch. Count me as one who still thinks something is up...

I want to believe. We'll know more in 11 days.

lmpaler

Already planned on being Team Sony, this is just a bonus if for some reason I end up with my PS4, out in the bayou with nothing but crocodile shit and bugs flying around me and and hamster powered generator to give me life.

I expect both companies to use this set-up and have 'activation passes' replace "online passes" as a way to make money off used sales,hinder piracy,etc...

Xbone does not play games off the disc. The disc is an installer, nothing more.

Sendou

One doesn't need to be a viral marketer to simply be adamantly wrong. Sendou is simply adamantly wrong.

Says him and contradicts his own thread on the same page.

I guess there is one possible scenario for the DRM stuff... Sony might require you to connect to the internet just once for every game, but after that you never have to connect again.

That is DRM not unlike XBONE's. It's not always-connected (neither is any platform known to man and yes this includes XBONE). Yet you can't play the console without connection. The question is will this realize? I don't know. Same seems to hold true for you considering what you said. Yet you made this very absolute thread. I wonder why.

Not really since I'm just questioning why you answered that way if you're just disagreeing instead of actually laughing.

Can be a bit confusing.

Yeah context is some shit. Separate posts don't always hold up that well. One of the problems with NeoGAF's format where you are only allowed (or encouraged) to quote the latest post of the conversation.

KAL2006

Banned
If MS announce 50 exclusives and Sony only announce 5, I'd still buy a PS4 over Xbox One. So basically Sony wins for me before E3 even started. Of course things like PS4 being more powerful are icing on the cake. Hopefully Sony has free on-line once again too.

Cromat

So far

Xbox One ->

League of Legends
Titan
Mirror's Edge 2
Dead Rising
Insomniac new IP exclusive

PS4 ->

FFXIII Versus turns into FFXV, exclusive
Diablo III
????

None of this sounds too earth-shattering to be honest. Even FF is not nearly as important as it was at the beginning of the previous generation.

Amir0x

Banned
Says him and contradicts his own thread on the same page.

That is DRM not unlike XBONE's. It's not always-connected (neither is any platform known to man and yes this includes XBONE). Yet you can't play the console without connection. The question is will this realize? I don't know. Same seems to hold true for you considering what you said. Yet you made this very absolute thread. I wonder why.

I am not contradicting anything. Are you going to start misinterpreting regular posts now too? lol

Naw, I'm just suggesting that is the only scenario left to them with how clear these statements are. However, this set up is nothing like the Xbox One, so you need to stop saying that altogether if you want to be taken seriously on the subject.

None of this sounds too earth-shattering to be honest. Even FF is not nearly as important as it was at the beginning of the previous generation.

I think Dead Rising is a pretty big win for them. Mirror's Edge 2 will just make me cry, but buttocks says a PC version will come too, so I'll hold my tears for the moment.

Sendou

I am not contradicting anything. Are you going to start misinterpreting regular posts now too? lol

Naw, I'm just suggesting that is the only scenario left to them with how clear these statements are. However, this set up is nothing like the Xbox One, so you need to stop saying that altogether if you want to be taken seriously on the subject.

Your thread is very absolutely about how PS4 will not have DRM of any kind. Yet you do seem to acknowledge that there is a possibility of certain type of DRM. That's all I have been saying too.

Comparision to XBONE on my part should only be limited to the fact that the quotes in the OP could all be applied to that machine (some straighter some with clever word accrobatics)

don't want to alarm anyone but sendou is an anagram of NO USED

coincidence?

I wish there was an extension for NeoGAF which automatically would search any suitable anagrams from users' names. You know to make a clever post with little to no hassle?

Famassu

I don't see how calling me an idiot contradicts anything I said. If you find my logic faulty then please by all means to point it out. They clearly differentiate it from XBONE? I just don't see. Has Sony even compared themselves to XBONE yet? The latter is not related to what you said by the way.

Unless you know you actually work for Sony and then I would like to ask you to make a clear statement about what your online plans are for PS4 especially compared to PS3 (plus Vita)
Xbone: No Internet connection always
PS4: No internet connection required AT ALL.

Small two words that make all the difference. You can't ignore that. PS4 doesn't require Internet connection at all. You can take it to the dark side of the moon if you want and as long as you have electricity you could still play Uncharted 4.

Plus,with the robust Internet connections they quite likely meant that a lot of countries in the world don't have Internet everywhere (US doesn't, a lot of other countries are even worse off). Meaning, if someone lives in a neighborhood where there is no Internet connection build yet but is rich enough to buy a game console, they are out of luck with Xbone.

nib95

Banned
don't want to alarm anyone but sendou is an anagram of NO USED

coincidence?

Dun dun dunnnnn...

tumblr_m9g0tsjEGv1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Sendou said:
Your thread is very absolutely about how PS4 will not have DRM of any kind.

Buh? It's very absolutely about how it will not REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. Says so in the title! The DRM stuff is just the implication people are taking from it. Sendou, I'm starting to worry for you :p

Also, the quotes in the OP absolutely cannot be applied to Xbox One. Jesus, I think you're just a lost cause. Sorry Sendou :(

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I added this quote with a link to the Kotaku article in the OP. Gave you a nod too, Tiemen, for the suggestion :)
Thank you. Hopefully more people will see it now. :p And a mention in an OP on GAF, before even making ten posts or being on GAF for more than a day; Hurray!

Amir0x

Banned
Thank you. Hopefully more people will see it now. :p And a mention in an OP on GAF, before even making ten posts or being on GAF for more than a day; Hurray!

Don't matter to me if you're a junior or a regular member... if you post cool shit, I'm listening :)

It seems to me that they've nipped this in the bud. At least several people within the company have replied with a similar answer. If they'd double back at E3 they'd get crucified at this point. So no, it's not going to require an internet connection. Period.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, call me pessimistic of the direction of this industry but "we'll leave the decision on online game activation up to the publishers" means they'll do that. I don't think that the system functioning offline stops publishers for needing their games to be activated online.

It's the publishers who are pushing for this. If we leave it up to them, they'll still do it.

nib95

Banned
I don't know, call me pessimistic of the direction of this industry but "we'll leave the decision on online game activation up to the publishers" means they'll do that. I don't think that the system functioning offline stops publishers for needing their games to be activated online.

It's the publishers who are pushing for this. If we leave it up to them, they'll still do it.

But we can still buy the console and the games we like that don't do this.

Sendou

Buh? It's very absolutely about how it will not REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. Says so in the title! The DRM stuff is just the implication people are taking from it. Sendou, I'm starting to worry for you :p

I just wondered about how after this you still came to a conclusion that there still was a possibility you would require internet connection to "register" your games or something. It still requires an internet connection. You won't do anything with the machine without it.

It doesn't matter whether you need internet connection once in the life span of the machine or every 24h. You still require it. It is not "completely" offline friendly. The level of online connection needed isn't even relevant to the point I'm trying to make.

Top Bottom