• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

Sendou

There is a limit, but it's like 2 weeks or something really long like that. At least, I think that's the case

Yeah that's what I thought until last week but then I heard someone saying that it indeed is forever. It is just a very buggy feature. Or at least it used to be.

Hard to find anything consistent information on the subject.

I didn't know there was a time limit for Steam's offline play? There's so much contradicting information on this subject. Last I heard it was "forever offline".
There isn't a time limit for Steam's offline play.

It used to not work properly though, but they fixed that a year or so ago.

Finally an unambiguous answer... wow was that so motherfucking hard sony?
No online check in suggests no anti used drm either but you never know... now if they can give a clear no nonsense no spin answer on that I'll be content.

I know the OP post is attempting to say Sony isn't doing this, but isn't the Cerny statement the latest among those? I really don't care about an internet requirement, I would still buy a PS4 or even Xbox One regardless, but I'll wait and see what ultimately ends up being decided, because nothing is as clear yet as many would like to believe. Answers come at E3 press conferences, but more importantly after the press conferences.

That's when the facts as they are currently will be put out, and if there are any other changes after that, we'll know prior to release.

Sendou

That is EXACTLY how the PS3 works right now!

I really thought the majority of GAF users were more knowledgeable about the current market, but apparently not. It's been this way from day 1 on PS3. Only in the entire 7-8 year history of the PS3 have like 3-5 games even used it. All but one of them were from Capcom and they were only for PSN downloadable games. I can't even remember the games offhand because I refused to even think about buying them. Maybe someone else can state the literal handful of titles that uses online checks when you load the game on your PS3.

Maybe this bit of info needs to be added to the OP as well. I can't believe people think this is something new. It's already been shown that most publishers & developers don't use it when it's not a system level security function.

Sorry but my mind is not blown. I did not know about the fact that such practice existed on PS3 but it matters little. So what if you had to register PSN games? It is not same at all. Retail games are our foremost consern right now.

This threaded needed to be made.

I think you've greatly misinterpreted this debate. The online DRM checks are the biggest problem. If you can't check in with those servers, every game you've purchased for that console is instantly worthless.

Well said. I'm glad Amir0x made this thread.

This is such a key piece of next-gen for me because of exactly what you said, I want to be able to play my games for years to come, just like I have with all of my old systems, without having to think about any check-in servers not under my control making them useless some day.

My first post, glad to join in, expected the wait to take longer, especially with E3 being so close.

Oppo

Finally an unambiguous answer... wow was that so motherfucking hard sony?
No online check in suggests no anti used drm either but you never know... now if they can give a clear no nonsense no spin answer on that I'll be content.

None of those answers are new.

lmafo

Microsoft were "confused"? By who? Themselves?
Pretty much. That's what I (charitably) call it when different spokespeople for the company put out conflicting messages on the same day, to the point where they have to call another press conference to make things clearer. And by 'clearer', I mean We will be announcing details of this in the months ahead. Their conference was a PR nightmare on the DRM issue.

Source: www.theinternet.com

Edit: even the obviously fake link I posted indicates the same thing, lol.

Pangard

Banned
I know the guys from sony made those statements but still, i dont know... I'm not too confident the system DRM will be as incredibly nice and convenient as people here are thinking. Maybe it's just me being paranoid.

test_account

XP-39C²
What about second OS support?
Yep, that was removed from excisting PS3s indeed through a firmware update. However, there was some reason why this was removed. I dont see any reason why they first would say that the PS4 doesnt require a internet connection, then turn 180 and say that it will require it anyway. But that is just my opinion. Time will tell what will happen =)

Sendou

Yep, that was removed from excisting PS3s indeed through a firmware update. However, there was some reason why this was removed. I dont see any reason why they first would say that the PS4 doesnt require a internet connection, then turn 180 and say that it will require it anyway. But that is just my opinion. Time will tell what happends =)

I was pretty bummed when they did that. Long gone and forgotten still it seems.

Cidd

So much fun reading the comments in here.

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

I can't believe some still don't get it.

Kotaku said:
More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.

The problem with this quote is that it isn't from Sony, it's Kotaku's representation of whatever someone from Sony said. Did they actually use the words "going online" or is this a reference to the interviews where Yoshida just said Used Game controls would be at publisher discretion and Totilo assumes that will require internet connectivity?

Papacheeks

Banned
Even though there is going to be some kind of DRM on the games by both Sony and Microsoft, I love the fact, that I can still play my games offline according to Sony.

Here's my thoughts in a joking manner;

tumblr_mnl42c061M1s528mbo1_400.gif

The Republican Philosophy at work for gaming?

funny you say that, because it reminds me of the election when Republicans argument was how Democrats can be just as awful

yes, yes, we are horrible, despicable, human beings, but Democrats can be just as bad so it's cool

I really thought the majority of GAF users were more knowledgeable about the current market, but apparently not. It's been this way from day 1 on PS3. Only in the entire 7-8 year history of the PS3 have like 3-5 games even used it. All but one of them were from Capcom and they were only for PSN downloadable games. I can't even remember the games offhand because I refused to even think about buying them. Maybe someone else can state the literal handful of titles that uses online checks when you load the game on your PS3.

Maybe this bit of info needs to be added to the OP as well. I can't believe people think this is something new. It's already been shown that most publishers & developers don't use it when it's not a system level security function.

Pretty much this. I think Sony will leave it up to the publishers (and I think they've said as much), and other publishers for the most part won't use any type of DRM like this. Or they may at first and if the games sell, well then they'll continue using online checks and such.

We also know what they want to do is add in online functionality and some games will no doubt use some ridiculous unnecessary function as an excuse to be always connected.

etrain911

I don't see how calling me an idiot contradicts anything I said. If you find my logic faulty then please by all means to point it out. They clearly differentiate it from XBONE? I just don't see. Has Sony even compared themselves to XBONE yet? The latter is not related to what you said by the way.

Unless you know you actually work for Sony and then I would like to ask you to make a clear statement about what your online plans are for PS4 especially compared to PS3 (plus Vita)

Up until this post I..er..thought you were joking. Multiple higher-ups at Sony (Yoshida and Cerny) have both been cited as saying that the PS4 won't require an internet connection. Of course they're going to encourage that you connect your PS4 online. Why wouldn't they?

But to what extent? My Steam library can also be enjoyed old-school for a couple weeks. Sony could have no restrictions on their first party releases, but that doesn't mean EA will do the same if the console still has an online DRM infrastructure in place.

I'm as eager to move on from this online/used games debacle as all of you, but we still don't have a clearer picture of what DRM will be like on the PS4 than we had after the Sony event in February.

Well if companies like EA decide to create DRM than we still won't truly know at E3. Sony has said they don't require it, it's up to the publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's still codes like this gen has showing up. I'm not talking about what MS is thinking about doing. PS4 isn't going to change much from PS3 DRM wise I bet.

Sendou

Up until this post I..er..thought you were joking. Multiple higher-ups at Sony (Yoshida and Cerny) have both been cited as saying that the PS4 won't require an internet connection. Of course they're going to encourage that you connect your PS4 online. Why wouldn't they?

Uh yeah that is kind of what the thread is about, right? Please do read my other replies too.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was pretty bummed when they did that. Long gone and forgotten still it seems.
Yeah, it sucked for those who used OtherOS. Personally i never even tried the function on my 60GB PS3 after owning it for some years, so luckily i wasnt affected by it. But again, sucks for those who used the feature, no doubt about that.

I dont think that it is forgotten, but the majority of people didnt seem to care about it.

VahnSSR

Banned
So it's exactly like ps3? Well that seals the deal for me. Drop megatons at E3, Sony, and I'll be handing you my money on PS4 launch.

This......this thread. E3 is going to be a bloodbath OH MY GOD!

I can't wait for bish's thread exposing all the viral marketeers here.

And even the WiiU employs this "system".

Most publishers aren't going to waste time and money developing custom DRM solutions.

Ploid 3.0

Sorry but my mind is not blown. I did not know about the fact that such practice existed on PS3 but it matters little. So what if you had to register PSN games? It is not same at all. Retail games are our foremost consern right now.

I own a PS2 disk game that has DRM. I don't know any PS3 disk games that has DRM outside of online pass. I of a few PSN games that require you to be online so it can enforce drm on a offline game.

With it like this, all of the no drm games put pressure on the publishers that want to put drm on their games. Maybe a few more games will have disk drm on PS4 since they will get some confidence to try it due to Xbox One, but hopefully the sales of those games will make it not worth it to try that all the time. Those games will surely suffer worldwide though, just like xbox one will because you need internet.

The only Playstation disk game that had a DRM that I know of.

Cidd

You're not connecting the dots. Think about why this thread was made. What for? Then maybe you'll reach a level of higher understanding.

The thread was ctreated because of the nonsense that was getting thrown around in another thread.

here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572893

Some believed Cerny wasn't clear enough with his comments so others brought up comments from another Sony Rep who clearly stated you can play the console without any internet connection whatsoever like "OLD SCHOOL".

You can spew as much bs as you want but I think it's clear as day, I understand quite well.

brainpann

Did anyone bring up Sony's rfid patent concerning disc based media? I imagine they could employ this patent using read-write rfid technology for Internet-less drm.

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-...-Be-Used-To-Stop-Second-Hand-Games-Trade.html

http://www.murata.com/new/news_release/2012/0920/

I doubt they are going this route considering the backlash MS is getting, but given they haven't officially announced anything makes me wonder. Outright saying, "PS4 will have no anti used drm." woukdmake them look really good in the eyes of many gamers right now.

mbmonk

Ami...r0x!!!

Get it? "Amir0x rocks", but I just bolded it and combined words instead of... I am so amazingly not clever.

Nice work Amir0x. :p

Sendou

Some believed Cerny wasn't clear enough with his comments so others brought up comments from another Sony Rep who clearly stated you can play the console without any internet connect whatsoever like "OLD SCHOOL".

But that's up for debate here. That's the simple reason this thread exists. Some people think that DRM might exist and some people say (they're wrong) that DRM won't exist because these guys said these things. Funny gifs won't take us anywhere. Glad you enjoyed the thread though.

Ploid 3.0

Even though there is going to be some kind of DRM on the games by both Sony and Microsoft, I love the fact, that I can still play my games offline according to Sony.

Here's my thoughts in a joking manner;

tumblr_mnl42c061M1s528mbo1_400.gif

And this is how it is with online gaming on everything but xbox (having to pay to play games online, watch netflix, etc.). Microsoft just see what it can get away with, and I avoid xbox because I have to pay to play online. I was gifted a 360, and it has 3 - 4 games and a kinect pointing at my living room. No access to my network.

Top Bottom