• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

2MF

Good thread, but the 3rd post you quoted refers to always-online and not the mere possibility on requiring Internet at times.

This threaded needed to be made.

for most people always on for 24 hours check isnt a problem. the main problem is used games, which sony is gonna have to follow if they want the big publishers to release their games on it aswell

I think you've greatly misinterpreted this debate. The online DRM checks are the biggest problem. If you can't check in with those servers, every game you've purchased for that console is instantly worthless.

Sendou

That No Used thing really is kind of amazing. The nick dates back to time where consoles blocking used games was not something you could comprehend. Kind of bittersweet to think back to it, you know?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Kotaku update should put this to bed for sure.
irvMFlA8fcLDl.png

So everybody just keeps ignoring this bit from a Kotaku article;This pretty much confirms no mandatory internet-connection-check-based (yes, I made that word up) DRM forced by hardware. Stop ignoring this quote. Please.

well obviously this means that they have other methods.

Quit fallin for the PR bro

Ploid 3.0

So everybody just keeps ignoring this bit from a Kotaku article;This pretty much confirms no mandatory internet-connection-check-based (yes, I made that word up) DRM forced by hardware. Stop ignoring this quote. Please.

BOOM!!! That should clear things up nicely. So again, like people said, it would most likely be up to publishers to activate a drm on their own games. So if EA wants no used game for their madden on PS4 they will have to put a code in or something. Like those PSN games that required you to be online to play it, I will just skip them. There will be plenty of fish in the sea for me to pick from. -1 sale for those games. If every game adds it (doubt) I'll just have a PS4 with the game I bought it for which shouldn't require it because I'll check before buying it and the PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
I just wondered about how after this you still came to a conclusion that there still was a possibility you would require internet connection to "register" your games or something. It still requires an internet connection. You won't do anything with the machine without it.

It doesn't matter whether you need internet connection once in the life span of the machine or every 24h. You still require it. It is not "completely" offline friendly. The level of online connection needed isn't even relevant to the point I'm trying to make.

This is also, as the trend suggests, completely wrong.

There is a radical difference. If the scenario I laid out were true.

Because on ONE platform it's forced, every time, every game. Once every 24 hours. And on the other, you can simply pick the games that never require the internet to buy, and give the middle finger to the ones that do - allowing you to exercise your rights as a consumer and direct your ire at those who hate consumers. This would still be a system that gave the power to the consumer.

And if you can't trace that distinct difference, I really am beyond all ability to help you. It would seem after that you were being intentionally obtuse :p

fallagin said:
Haha, nice title change.

That's no title change. That was my title from the start lol

Sendou

That one.

We just opened the Pandora's box. We had no way of knowing that these evils would spread!

Because on ONE platform it's forced, every time, every game. Once every 24 hours. And on the other, you can simply pick the games that never require the internet to buy, and give the middle finger to the ones that do - allowing you to exercise your rights as a consumer and direct your ire at those who hate consumers. This would still be a system that gave the power to the consumer.

And if you can't trace that distinct difference, I really am beyond all ability to help you. It would seem after that you were being intentionally obtuse :p

Thanks for taking the time to explain your stance. I now understand what you mean. It's reference to how it's up to publishers if they want to block used games or not? Then you're right. If that's all that we'll have on PS4 then it can't be defined as "internet connection required" What I have been saying from the beginning is that I still don't believe that's the extent of DRM we'll see. I tried to explain it a few times but didn't really get anything useful as a respond.

it's already confirmed each PS4 game can require online registration (not the same as online pass) and that's up to the publisher.
If it turns out that you still need an internet connection to simply register a game so it's tied to the system, then I'll be more angry at Sony than I am at Microsoft for straight out lying. Liars piss me off more than confused idiots.

Amir0x

Banned
source plz

Says in the OP, that Sony will let the publisher decide if they want individual games to do that.

Of course, what that means is we as consumer can simply give the middle finger to the games that do (Unless it's like a MMORPG or persistent online game or something like that)

MechaX

The probable exception will be this - there will be individual games from some publishers that must connect to the internet for their DRM policies, and Sony will allow that. And in this case, that's still fine by me, because what it means is I can actively support the publishers/devs that don't use DRM, and give the middle finger to the ones that do.

This is the part that still worries me slightly (although, it would be different if Sony was mandating the system); under a worst case scenario, EA and Activision become so adamant in their DRM practices that it would serve as an incentive for other developers putting games on the PS4 to do their own game/publisher specific DRM, assuming there is enough reward with little risk (and they can get away with it).

Regardless, here is where voting with your wallet is really going to count, folks.

If it turns out that you still need an internet connection to simply register a game so it's tied to the system, then I'll be more angry at Sony than I am at Microsoft for straight out lying. Liars piss me off more than confused idiots.

lmafo

Microsoft were "confused"? By who? Themselves?

Sendou

I'll make this a separate post seeing how fast this thread moves. No use in editing!

Thanks for taking the time to explain your stance. I now understand what you mean. It's reference to how it's up to publishers if they want to block used games or not? Then you're right. If that's all that we'll have on PS4 then it can't be defined as "internet connection required" What I have been saying from the beginning is that I still don't believe that's the extent of DRM we'll see. I tried to explain it a few times but didn't really get anything useful as a respond.

Ploid 3.0

I think he thinks an mod put "Listen. Read." into the title in response to all the people not listening OR reading

It's all me, though ;)

Had the foresight to add that knowing people would still browse over big clues.

I really hope sony does the "game disk from one system to another" demonstration live on stage thing. It seem like people won't believe it until they see it.

test_account

XP-39C²
because Sony never makes false statements or changes policies after misleading everyone...

backwards comp on the PS3 anyone?
What was the thing with backward compability on PS3? First they had it, then they removed it. It was well known that they did this, at least on the websites etc. i visit, so i wouldnt call it misleading.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope this is true but man if Sony pulls the rug out...

the rage will block out the sun.

Coldest Winter brehs

Winter is coming?

I'll make this a separate post seeing how fast this thread moves. No use in editing!

Perfectly respectable. Believe it or not, I understand your skepticism and cynicism. It just felt a little at times like you were trying to find ways not to believe, instead of just seeing the story as it stands.

But that said, it's all good and I understand you better now too.

I remember being locked out from play Bionic Commando ReArmed 2 during the infamous OUTAGE.

It completely changed the way I approach Capcom downloadables to the point that I avoid everything Capcom

Snakeyes

I think this one by Michael Denny is:
"PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all."
But to what extent? My Steam library can also be enjoyed old-school for a couple weeks. Sony could have no restrictions on their first party releases, but that doesn't mean EA will do the same if the console still has an online DRM infrastructure in place.

I'm as eager to move on from this online/used games debacle as all of you, but we still don't have a clearer picture of what DRM will be like on the PS4 than we had after the Sony event in February.

Ploid 3.0

They can do that on PS3 right now. No one has done that though. There are disk games that require online but they don't get tied to your PSN like online pass codes.

I'm sure if one brave greedy publisher does it on PS4 that it will be clearly visible on the box, hopefully plastered directly in the center as required by sony just to deter publishers from doing it.

DieH@rd

Banned
To be fair, none of these responses are worded in a way that completely rules out online check-ins and/or authentication.

Except.... Sony told press that PS4 can be used perfectly well when in offline mode, and MS told press [in Sesslers video interview] that offline Xbone can be used only for "TV, Blu-Rays and music". After Xbone fails to get his internet heartbeat, that console is essentially DEAD to 100% of gaming community.

Sendou

But to what extent? My Steam library can also be enjoyed old-school for a couple weeks.

I didn't know there was a time limit for Steam's offline play? There's so much contradicting information on this subject. Last I heard it was "forever offline".

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't know there was a time limit for Steam's offline play? There's so much contradicting information on this subject. Last I heard it was "forever offline".

There is a limit, but it's like 2 weeks or something really long like that. At least, I think that's the case

aristotle

it's already confirmed each PS4 game can require online registration (not the same as online pass) and that's up to the publisher.

That is EXACTLY how the PS3 works right now!

I really thought the majority of GAF users were more knowledgeable about the current market, but apparently not. It's been this way from day 1 on PS3. Only in the entire 7-8 year history of the PS3 have like 3-5 games even used it. All but one of them were from Capcom and they were only for PSN downloadable games. I can't even remember the games offhand because I refused to even think about buying them. Maybe someone else can state the literal handful of titles that uses online checks when you load the game on your PS3.

Maybe this bit of info needs to be added to the OP as well. I can't believe people think this is something new. It's already been shown that most publishers & developers don't use it when it's not a system level security function.

Top Bottom