• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

Raylan

Banned
Pictures division is a disgrace

Shameful result
It all makes sense. Their output was absolute horseshit. A few years ago, they were great. Now I don't even know what the fuck they are doing. They need new people up there.
The studio needs new ideas and franchises. And not stuff like Spice Girls Ghostbusters.

odhiex

tumblr_mi6014SGtx1s5o3aso4_250.gif

De fak... Lol

Pictures Division is in a shithole right now, but I think it's the right decision to not sell. It's still a limited competition space and the movie business is so hit-driven that honestly just one or two big hits can fix this situation.

The problem, of course, is the studio's inability to make one.

Honestly it needs a complete creative shake-up. It doesn't take a genius to see that 90% of the stuff Sony funds are mediocrities that has very little chance of success.

Even the 10% of the stuff that has the chance of success, either due to brand license ( Bond, Spidey, etc) are apparently 20 different kinds of development hell, and current Sony Pictures management do not have the leadership to steer a movie out of dev hell and still come out a great film.

Gurish

Obviously Sony made a lot of good with the PS4, but something I've noticed that people don't seem to mention as one of the reasons of the PS4's constant growth is Sony's dream E3s they had in the last two years, those E3s really helped build the idea that the PS4 is the console to go, I think it had a significant impact, yea E3 might be for the more hardcore but those hardcore players drive that narrative to the more mainstream audience as well.

I don't get it either. It is like there is still some sort of disconnect when discussing this sort of thing in different threads.

"WW sales aren't relevant in this thread"

The thread may not be specifically about WW sales and what not but I just don't think it is wise to speculate on matters without that huge context. Based on singular Japan or UK data, for example, Slim/Pro was underwhelming, flop, etc... With the WW context, they are performing just fine and even above Sony's expectations in the case of the Pro.

Well said.
Wonder if the poster in question has seen the thread, DocSeuss too who claimed worldwide sales don't matter for jackshit

Pros has been restocked in some asian countries so hopefully sales pick up even more.

Pictures division is a disgrace

Shameful result
Damn shame indeed. Don't Breathe and Sausage Party were good movies. Regardless of how messed up the latter is

Both Underworld and RE did good (and will be likely rebooted within the next 3 years), Smurfs will do good with kids, Life looks great and has a decent star appeal, Emoji movie could go either way...dunno.
When including Spider-Man, and the Dark Tower... Could be a good year.

Underworld disappeared from cinemas after two weeks in my country. Was it better in US ?

tusken77

Obviously Sony made a lot of good with the PS4, but something I've noticed that people don't seem to mention as one of the reasons of the PS4's constant growth is Sony's dream E3s they had in the last two years, those E3s really helped build the idea that the PS4 is the console to go, I think it had a significant impact, yea E3 might be for the more hardcore but those hardcore players drive that narrative to the more mainstream audience as well.

A PSX event every December for the past three years also reinforces that idea.

NHale

Sony still has marketing deal for Destiny 2?

Yes they have. Also Battlefront 2.

And if RDR 2 releases in the Fall, they would have marketing deals for Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and RDR 2 during that period. Insane.

EDIT: And Call of Duty as well. Before COD: Black Ops III they announced they signed a 3-year deal that would end with this year game. They surely don't have much room to market any other game during Fall. Imagine the bundles they can do.

Gurish

A PSX event every December for the past three years also reinforces that idea.

Indeed, Sony in general increased the number of shows and their investment in that area significantly and even though it can be a pain for the devs who need to make more demos it had proven itself alot.

Zackat

I wonder if Sony would sell the pictures division to Disney for Marvel reasons, if Disney was even interested.
They shouldn't. They already gonna let them use Spider-Man anyways. They just need a whole new team of people. If a movie looks like hot garbage lately there is a good chance it is a Sony movie.

I wonder if Sony would sell the pictures division to Disney for Marvel reasons, if Disney was even interested.

Ignoring the fact that it would be a bad idea on both sides just financially, the only reason Disney would buy Sony Pictures is for full control of Spider-Man. Outside of that, the only semi-relevant franchises Sony owns are Jump Street (and the next one isn't being made by Lord and Miller, so we'll see how that goes) and MiB (which, well, is being crossed over with Jump Street). Disney wouldn't need to buy them for the talent (they have better talent there, and if there were any particular employee they wanted they could probably poach them), and there's really nothing that Sony does as far as the behind the scenes of making movies go that most of the Disney movie studios (Marvel, Pixar, WDAS, and their live action division) don't already do better. Hell, the best division at Sony Pictures in terms of quality of output is the TV division (Blacklist, Better Call Saul, etc) and even they get dwarfed by Disney.

Zok310

Banned
Sony still has marketing deal for Destiny 2?

not sure, but at this point why would you align your big product with anything else when the PS4 is so far ahead by such a large margin? What is it now a 25 million lead ahead?

Wollan

No, they are sticking with it but are planning full reorganization on the top. Old boss is already out, Kaz is supervising transition personally.
The right move. It had a rotten leadership. Getting rid of the movie division as a whole would be a bad mistake. They are the leading videogame/console & music publisher on the planet. Having a healthy movie/TV-show division would make a really powerful entertainment trio.

The right move. It had a rotten leadership. Getting rid of the movie division as a whole would be a bad mistake. They are the leading videogame/console & music publisher on the planet. Having a healthy movie/TV-show division would make a really powerful entertainment trio.

Well in theory - but in reality Sony sucks at using one division to support other.

They made HDR massive in video gaming - and the moment they announced it on Pro launch conference their TVs couldn't even enable HDR in game mode leaving market to Samsung. There was also a lot of confusion about whole HDR, game mode and TV support early.

If they were thinking globally the TV division should have been fully prepared for HDR gaming the moment they were announced to rip benefits of people buying 4K TVs.

Movie division haven't done anything for other divisions outside of some low class product placement.

Mobile was always on it's own - they barely tried to push their phones by using other divisions.

kaiyo

Well in theory - but in reality Sony sucks at using one division to support other.

They made HDR massive in video gaming - and the moment they announced it on Pro launch conference their TVs couldn't even enable HDR in game mode leaving market to Samsung. There was also a lot of confusion about whole HDR, game mode and TV support early.

If they were thinking globally the TV division should have been fully prepared for HDR gaming the moment they were announced to rip benefits of people buying 4K TVs.

Movie division haven't done anything for other divisions outside of some low class product placement.

Mobile was always on it's own - they barely tried to push their phones by using other divisions.
Mobile has product placement in movies and games lol. They also use display, camera, audio tech from other divisions.

But yeah they need to be more One Sony

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Their situation is bad because they have not been able to make hits recently. The Ghostbusters flop was really bad for them and the fact that Kaz Hirai moved to California to personally handle the restructuring of the business means they're taking this seriously.
But people are not reading that the big loss recorded at the Pictures division is due to a goodwill impairment charge.
It's a one-time charge due to the fact that the goodwill value of the division declared on their balance sheet since long ago, surpasses the current fair market value based on the expected future success and profits at that particular division, so they had to take an impairment charge.
Sony's stock is up almost 6% today so overall the financial results were well received by the market on the prospect of future profitability now that this ''burdens'' have been accounted for.
This is similar to what happened with the mobile division a few years back right? Pictures hasn't actually lost them $920M in their cash flow correct? I remember with mobile, the quarter the loss was written, Sony's cash flow actually increased.

Hazelhurst

With the huge success of Civil War and Marvel's magical dust, I expect the new Spider-Man movie to be the highest grossing Spider-Man movie yet. I think it will break $1 billion worldwide.

Now Sony just needs a Bond movie for 2018...

Top Bottom