• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

so, by division

1. Game & Network Services (G&NS)
Operating income – 431 (millions of U.S. dollars)

2. Financial Services
Operating income – 250

3. Music
Operating income – 241

4. Semiconductors
Operating income – 234

5. Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S)
Operating income – 224

6. Mobile Communications (MC)
Operating income – 183

7. Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S)
Operating income – 182

-------

x. Components
Operating loss – (32)

xx. Pictures
Operating income (loss) – (920)

Please tell me components doesn't include TV.

Crawl

THIS MEANS MORE JAPANESE GAMES FOR THE WEST. GIMME ALL YOUR DRAGON QUESTS AND ALL YOUR YAKUZA GAMES AND JRPGS THE KING HATH RETURNED!

dracula_x

Please tell me components doesn't include TV.

no. that's Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S)

The HE&S segment includes the Televisions as well as Audio and Video categories. Televisions includes LCD televisions; Audio and Video
includes Blu-ray DiscTM players and recorders, home audio, headphones and memory-based portable audio devices.

The Components segment includes batteries and recording media.

dracula_x

Why? It's got a lot of potential and great companies under their umbrella like Columbia and MGM. Next Bond movie will make them tons of money!

speaking about Sony Pictures

Top 10 Home Entertainment titles released during the quarters ended December 31, 2016 (Film, Television and Direct-to-Video releases)

1. Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
  2. Preacher, Season 1
  3. Ghostbusters
  4. Outlander, Season 2
  5. Sausage Party
  6. Better Call Saul, Season 2
  7. Don't Breathe
  8. The Hollars
  9. The Magnificent Seven
  10. When The Bough Breaks

Television and Digital Channels

texa9ga.png

U8ruklG.png

Motion Pictures

PLhiGVe.png

Ivan

Can someone make a comparison with steam please?

Number of games sold must be smaller on psn/live, but the prices are probably much higher.

Any comparisons?

vaporeon

A 5% increase in gaming revenue paired with a 25% increase in gaming income? That is the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen.

spwolf

They have the Feb security update out before Google XD

they seem to be getting in a great shape... right now Sony Mobile is one of the few companies making profit on phones (except for Samsung and Apple)... LG, HTC are all losing money, and Xiaomi is likely too.

This is why it is rumored they will have 5 new phones coming at MWC.

Seel

Neo Member
Can someone make a comparison with steam please?

Number of games sold must be smaller on psn/live, but the prices are probably much higher.

Any comparisons?

Steam estimated number is for full-game downloads only , DLC/mt/F2P not included .

PSN includes full-game downloads,DLC/mt,F2P,PS+ subs,music and video.

Alebrije

so, by division

1. Game & Network Services (G&NS)
Operating income – 431 (millions of U.S. dollars)

2. Financial Services
Operating income – 250

3. Music
Operating income – 241

4. Semiconductors
Operating income – 234

5. Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S)
Operating income – 224

6. Mobile Communications (MC)
Operating income – 183

7. Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S)
Operating income – 182

-------

x. Components
Operating loss – (32)

xx. Pictures
Operating income (loss) – (920)

Pictures is like a black hole that eated gaming , financial and music divisions...

MQ1na5QwU9xkQb6o3wkLA1SPrd0FDNHbC-tsbcI5LfLcTKdhSAbYKB0QJQ_c3qFq_e3S489z5VskTK8Dt3vEnx7zf7rm1B0LJA2iJPzag9PHEA=w445-h330-nc

dracula_x

Steam estimated number is for full-game downloads only , DLC/mt/F2P not included .

PSN includes full-game downloads,DLC/mt,F2P,PS+ subs,music and video.

actually, that's only Sony's cut and royalties (except 1st party content of course and PS+ subs).

Seel

Neo Member
actually, that's only Sony's cut and royalties (except 1st party content of course and PS+ subs).

the entire console digital business in 2016 is around $6-7B .No way its only sony's cut my friend , it's total revenue of products sold.

You must be thinking of retail royalties .

Elios83

This Sony Pictures situation is tragic. Like what the hell are they doing?

Their situation is bad because they have not been able to make hits recently. The Ghostbusters flop was really bad for them and the fact that Kaz Hirai moved to California to personally handle the restructuring of the business means they're taking this seriously.
But people are not reading that the big loss recorded at the Pictures division is due to a goodwill impairment charge.
It's a one-time charge due to the fact that the goodwill value of the division declared on their balance sheet since long ago, surpasses the current fair market value based on the expected future success and profits at that particular division, so they had to take an impairment charge.
Sony's stock is up almost 6% today so overall the financial results were well received by the market on the prospect of future profitability now that this ''burdens'' have been accounted for.

Zok310

Banned
GoW will probably be March 2018 :(

I'm ok with that, I think this year with some 3rd party games is stacked. One thing I love that Sony have been doing for the past few years is releasing big titles the first few months in a year.
Really helps getting through the winter and spring with a handful of good games to come home to after work.

vpance

on Pictures said:
“There is no chance we will sell,” said Sony’s chief financial officer, Kenichiro Yoshida, on a conference call after the company reported its fiscal third-quarter earnings. “The pictures segment is an important business of Sony.”

IOW, raise your bids 😏

PlayStation is killing it for Sony, great news for them.

Now they just need the Marvel / Spider-Man deal to bring in the big money for Sony's movie division, because if that doesn't bring in a shit ton of money, nothing will.

Criminal the fuck-ups they made with that franchise. I'm a long-time comics reader and it's crazy how Iron Man, who was a lesser chacter in terms of comic book popularity historically, is like the biggest Marvel franchise of them all (for a single character). Spiderman should be way bigger.

Unknown?

Hmmm it seems likely they sold more in that quarter than Xbox One did that whole year. You don't see Shawn or anyone at Sony pointing out they are selling way more with pictures of pallets like Greenberg. They should have more classy PR like Sony rather than gloating and embarrassing themselves.

Elandyll

Banned
This Sony Pictures situation is tragic. Like what the hell are they doing?
SPE didn't lose $960m in one quarter, it's a consolidation (book operations).

http://deadline.com/2017/01/sony-pictures-962-million-charge-film-division-write-down-1201897260/

The impairment charge is described as a “non-cash loss” that relates to a number of factors, including the purchase of the studio almost 30 years ago, and “dramatic shifts in the home entertainment space currently being felt throughout the entire industry.” A majority of the goodwill that was impaired, Sony said, was originally recorded at the time of the acquisition of Columbia Pictures Entertainment in 1989.
They're recording it now, I imagine, because

1) results are so good elsewhere that the charge doesn't tank the whole company

2) major changes are afoot, possibly in the very structure of the company (spin off?)

Elandyll

Banned
Aside from Spider-Man they have NOTHING. They might even lose James Bond soon.
Both Underworld and RE did good (and will be likely rebooted within the next 3 years), Smurfs will do good with kids, Life looks great and has a decent star appeal, Emoji movie could go either way...dunno.
When including Spider-Man, and the Dark Tower... Could be a good year.

vpance

They're recording it now, I imagine, because

1) results are so good elsewhere that the charge doesn't tank the whole company

2) major changes are afoot, possibly in the very structure of the company (spin off?)

Probably a bit of both. Without the impairment they would've beat the previous fiscal year income forecasts by a lot.

Sillverrr

Can't deny they are absolutely crushing it in terms of software support for the PS4. Xbox One wishes it had this many games.

As for their other divisions, there's always a weak link somewhere. Just gotta hope that on balance they come out in the black.

Mahonay

Banned
Collin post if you're okay

untitled-1c7puz.jpg
With all of the clear data available to show how console sales are trending globally, people still make posts like this. You only have yourself to blame for looking stupid after making that kind of post. Microsoft is definitely improving, but just accept that there really isn't much of a race left this generation. Rooting for console sales to be healthy is great, but just be realistic about it.

With all of the clear data available to show how console sales are trending globally, people still make posts like this. You only have yourself to blame for looking stupid after making that kind of post. Microsoft is definitely improving, but just accept that there really isn't much of a race left this generation. Rooting for console sales to be healthy is great, but just be realistic about it.
I don't get it either. It is like there is still some sort of disconnect when discussing this sort of thing in different threads.

"WW sales aren't relevant in this thread"

The thread may not be specifically about WW sales and what not but I just don't think it is wise to speculate on matters without that huge context. Based on singular Japan or UK data, for example, Slim/Pro was underwhelming, flop, etc... With the WW context, they are performing just fine and even above Sony's expectations in the case of the Pro.

Well thats good.

LOL "Recording media." Sony spent over a decade trying to shove Memory Sticks down our throats. All for nothing...

This not only includes CD/DVD/BD manufacture as already stated, but also magnetic tape media which is still used for plenty of offline backups. It can't be beat for cost and reliability for anybody needing to meet permanent data retention requirements.

they seem to be getting in a great shape... right now Sony Mobile is one of the few companies making profit on phones (except for Samsung and Apple)... LG, HTC are all losing money, and Xiaomi is likely too.

This is why it is rumored they will have 5 new phones coming at MWC.

I'll be interested in what they show up with. My Z3 is still kicking, but getting a little aged.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Criminal the fuck-ups they made with that franchise. I'm a long-time comics reader and it's crazy how Iron Man, who was a lesser chacter in terms of comic book popularity historically, is like the biggest Marvel franchise of them all (for a single character). Spiderman should be way bigger.
Agreed.

I seriously didn't know who iron man was when I saw the trailers. I kept thinking of ultra man.

Top Bottom