• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reaches Preliminary Programming Deal With Viacom for Online Pay TV Service

nib95

Banned
Gaikai Servers:

gaikai_map_europe.jpg

In europe. US centric my ass

Well then, there goes that one!

Sony getting their Netflix competitor ready for a 2014 CES announce.

That makes Viacom and SPE. I had heard Fox and TW were talking to them previously, only Disney and NBC/Uni have declined so far. Disney/ABC is the big one they need to get along with Fox.

Anyway, this is what I heard a long time ago from a broker in the industry:

$9.99/m basic package, similar content to Netflix
$19.99 /m medium pack, premium content, new release movies
$39.99/m "cord-cutter" pack

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Will be curious to see if this is the direction MS takes or if they try to get traditional distribution (cable, etc) to play ball with subsidies for the Xbox One and go that route.

The big kids (ESPN) want nothing to do with IPTV at this point as they are getting every cable subscriber in America to hand them 7 dollars a month for their suite of services. It's clearly the smart money long term, but live sports will keep cable around for the next 10 years at least.

So the question is if MS tries the IPTV route or if they simply set up distro deals for apps and work with cable.

B.O.O.M

That makes Viacom and SPE. I had heard Fox and TW were talking to them previously, only Disney and NBC/Uni have declined so far. Disney/ABC is the big one they need to get along with Fox.

What does/could a cord-cutter pack provide?

driver116

This is different, it's live TV delivered over the Internet. Netflix is video-on-demand.

rjinaz

I was actually expecting that both Sony and MS would let you sign into your cable account this generation (ie HBOGo) and access everything live. The interesting thing is that the cable providers are the ones providing the internet so if you drop their cable but keep the higher margin internet without having to pay the usage fees to the content providers they aren't too disappointed.

Good point. I'm still going to have to get my internet from the cable company. They still get my money either way. Still, it would be nice if they got less of it. I don't watch most of the channels that I get through cable.

Cartman86

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. There is a reason Microsoft has HDMI in. Would be amazing if Sony managed to do a real deal.

What does/could a cord-cutter pack provide?

Shit-ton of premium content from the likes of HBO, as well as new release movies just 6-8 weeks after the Blu-ray release. Again, just what the broker was saying. I think he was full of shit because content companies probably wouldn't agree to a "cord-cutters" pack or encourage people to move away from cable TV.

harSon

Banned
Awesome! Is this going to be something like DirecTV/HBO GO? ie. if you have a subscription to Comcast cable, you get access to Viacom related channels through this service? Hopefully either Sony or Microsoft reach a similar deal with DirecTV, because being able to leach off my parents DirecTV account to obtain a DirecTV streaming service would be awesome for me.

I already do so NFL Sunday Ticket and HBO Go. Also, I need apps for Max Go, Starz Play and Showtime Anywhere pleaseeeeee. Make it happen Sony or Microsoft!

fiyah

Sony, MS, Apple, Intel, Google and a whole host of others trying to get a bite of leftover pie. Even if IPTV actually sounded appealing I wouldn't bet on Sony over the rest of those.

You do know that Sony Pictures produces and distributes a host of television shows rite?

B.O.O.M

Shit-ton of premium content from the likes of HBO, as well as new release movies just 6-8 weeks after the Blu-ray release. Again, just what the broker was saying. I think he was full of shit because content companies probably wouldn't agree to a "cord-cutters" pack or encourage people to move away from cable TV.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Mario007

Any idea if there are plans to expand into Europe (by which I mean more than just the UK)?

StoOgE

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't get how Sony would be able to snag better margins for a start up service than cable providers with millions of subscribers do.

I'm all for A La Carte programming (though, it might wind up being more expensive), I just don't see content owners wanting to upset the apple cart too much. IPTV I can see making sense as they can get the same bundling deals without hurting anyone, but unless Sony is going to treat this as a loss-leader for a few years I don't see how they are going to offer that kind of pricing and include premium HBO like content. Maybe if they forgoe live sports entirely they could manage it, but I think that would dramatically impact the number of people willing to subscribe to the service. It would also make it effecticely impossible to get content from Disney/ABC, NBC or Fox as they all make too much money off of sports bundling in basic cable packs. They likely wouldn't be a party to a bundling service that didn't include their respective sports offerings (might explain why Viacom is the group playing ball as CBS cable sports offerings are a joke).

teiresias

Replace the word Sony with Microsoft and imagine how different the replies on here would be...

You know, except for how I wouldn't need a cable box with this setup as opposed to the way Xbox One does things. The way Sony is approaching this solution is much more in line with how people that use their consoles to actually cord-cut want to do things, rather than MS just grafting a Kinect interface on top of your cable box feed.

sense

The difference being that Microsoft has earned that prejudice.

yep xbox 360 was initially successful due to gamers so they turned around and introduced a successor taking focus away from them and catering to the casual and hence they are getting the hate. you have to know who you are selling to first. sony went gamers first and now they are showing what else it can do.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't get how Sony would be able to snag better margins for a start up service than cable providers with millions of subscribers do.

I'm all for A La Carte programming (though, it might wind up being more expensive), I just don't see content owners wanting to upset the apple cart too much. IPTV I can see making sense as they can get the same bundling deals without hurting anyone, but unless Sony is going to treat this as a loss-leader for a few years I don't see how they are going to offer that kind of pricing and include premium HBO like content. Maybe if they forgoe live sports entirely they could manage it, but I think that would dramatically impact the number of people willing to subscribe to the service.

No, it's either more money per month or they won't have that premium content. Plus I figure they will have 12 or 18 month terms as well.

satam55

Banned
Intredasting.

Not being from the US, how big is Viacom? Big player in the TV business?

Are serious?

They own:

Film production and distribution
MTV Films
Nickelodeon Movies
Paramount Animation
Paramount Pictures
Viacom International

Television networks
BET
CMT
Comedy Central
Logo
MTV
MTV2
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
Nickelodeon
Nicktoons
Palladia
Spike
TeenNick
Tr3s
TV Land
VH1

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom

Myshkin

I'll believe it when I see it. There is a reason Microsoft has HDMI in. Would be amazing if Sony managed to do a real deal.

This really points to a difference in approach. As I understand it, MS wanted to negotiate with cable companies, trying to have TiVo functions and the like (nearly hopeless); meanwhile Sony is negotiating with content providers. Those cable companies are notoriously hard to negotiate with; apparently it's easier to just set yourself up as a competitor to them.

StoOgE

No, it's either more money per month or they won't have that premium content. Plus I figure they will have 12 or 18 month terms as well.

But it still doesn't make sense. Time Warner is 50 dollars a month for "digital" cable package and includes bare-bones content packaging. Unless Sony is going to eat a loss they can't possibly price the package at 40 dollars with HBO and New Movie content.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No, not at all.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy and putting things in perspective.

It's not hypocrisy to treat different things differently.

Sony isn't Microsoft. Microsoft isn't Sony. Sony has, it would seem, a lot of credibility around gaming at the moment. I don't think anyone feels this stuff threatens or dilutes Sony's approach to gaming. Microsoft's messaging around Xbox was entirely less reassuring.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Better start making more exclusive programming like Breaking Bad Sony.

They already discussed at E3 they have big plans on self created stuff. I think that's the future that will distinguish these various competing services. Amazon, Netflix, Sony will all fund their own series to try and get you to subscribe. MS announced a remake of an older show for Live as well.

If they allow people to piece meal cable channels that would be the flash point everyone has been waiting for to happen. However, I think this may be very similar to Hulu and may have a hard time differentiating itself.

But boy if they allow folks to get cable a la cart.....

But it still doesn't make sense. Time Warner is 50 dollars a month for "digital" cable package and includes bare-bones content packaging. Unless Sony is going to eat a loss they can't possibly price the package at 40 dollars with HBO and New Movie content.

That's why I think he is full of shit personally.

Sony-4K-ces-2013.jpg
we could finally see Gt.tv on Sony devices.... I wonder how dramatic this video service will be probably might see an extension of 4k resolution services (like the small 4k movie service announced back in January) as they need to push their 4K T.V sets harshly in 2014

StoOgE

That's why I think he is full of shit personally.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for that to happen and would probably buy a PS4 just for the service if it happened. But Aero (granted, they are small fry) is the most succesful IPTV offering right now and it's 8 bucks a month for like 9 channels.

Top Bottom