• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reports Q3 FY12 Results - $2 Billion Loss, 6.5 M PS3's Shipped [Shares up 13%]

Haunted

Well, if even Nintendo has to post losses, you know other companies must be in real trouble. Still, I'm surprised at the extent. 2 fucking billion. Jesus.

I am going to bed. When I wake up, there will be a succinct summary of why the losses occurred, and how it will be fixed. I'm certain there won't be several pages of mindless bullshit bickering between the link and killzone avatars.

- flooding in Thailand
- strong yen
- lower unit sales across the board

Sony shrunk the lead by a paltry 3 million or so in 5-6 years. Wasn't the head start when the PS3 came out like 7 million?

I think it was closer to 8 million. But MS has been doing a great job in terms of timing in the market and keeping the steam up. All the little exclusive deals, price drops, clever timing of their biggest exclusives, the slim and the kinect, all was done in a great manner. Granted MS backed off of the strong push for specific overseas markets and dialed back on their first party studio stable. But it made for better numbers. If sony had done some of the same moves they would be viewed as villains. No winning for them apparently in western markets. Anti sony vibe is strong. Well, If things continue on this path I hope I can get some good experiences from them before they might have to exit. I would shed a tear.

Lynn616

Holy SHIT at the expected Q1-4 loss.
It's down from the 90bn yen forecast in the last report to a massive 220bn.

That's $2,9 billion in expected losses for FY 2011.

Also, they aren't yet sure how much potensial loss the Ericsson buy out still has in it, and since they take over that part of the mobile company in february we won't know until april.

They had expected a $1.2 Billion loss and are now saying it will be $2.9 Billion. Stock is going to take a hit tomorrow.

Dalthien

Well, if even Nintendo has to post losses, you know other companies must be in real trouble. Still, I'm surprised at the extent. 2 fucking billion. Jesus.

Except Nintendo actually posted a profit for Q3 (although they will lose money for the full year).

Q3 is supposed to be the money-making quarter for companies like Nintendo and Sony who sell tons of consumer goods in the holiday quarter. Taking a massive loss in the holiday quarter is pretty scary news for a company like Sony.

choodi

Banned
That's an awfully lot of money.

Hypothetically, if Vita fails - is a financial disaster for Sony, how unlikely for Sony to continue with PS4?

the playstation brand is probably the only one they have that is worth a damn right now.

No way it discontinues.

More likely they will shed other interests and refocus as prinipally using playstation branded products as a trojan horse into the living room.

Kind of like how apple use their products to sell you digital content.

Benefits of apple's model is the low production cost structure

Banned
the playstation brand is probably the only one they have that is worth a damn right now.

No way it discontinues.

More likely they will shed other interests and refocus as prinipally using playstation branded products as a trojan horse into the living room.

Kind of like how apple use their products to sell you digital content.

Benefits of apple's model is the low production cost structure

I agree there will be a PS4. I think that it will have to be sold at a profit from day one.

Well, on the bright side ps3's doing better than last year.

Actually, the PS3 is down 300,000 compared to 2010.

Road

Random graphs:

i08duirDgC2Mg.png
iDXbar9De2zxh.png

iZ1ONcXfjksJe.png
ibld9yN2xjeybe.png

iEppaISnEwcym.png
ibx042eAUVmCRj.png

ibrs59pSW0pGqz.png

choodi

Banned
Weirdly enough, I do kind of envy his position. I'd love to have every Sony product from every Sony category laid out in front of me along with a full financial report/forecast on each section and figure out what goes and what stays. Bloggy? Really? Nuke that crap

Agreed.

He has a tough job turning the ship around, but he will also have an unprecedented opportunity to cull every single poorly performing product.

demigod

I highly doubt it's their gaming division that's losing money, it has to be their TV lines and camera/laptops.

golem

Agreed.

He has a tough job turning the ship around, but he will also have an unprecedented opportunity to cull every single poorly performing product.

How much power does he really have to get things done though? Wasn't that one of the reasons Stringer wasn't able to accomplish much?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I highly doubt it's their gaming division that's losing money, it has to be their TV lines and camera/laptops.
Only Sony Pictures and Financial Services did well. Their gaming division underperformed compared to last year, and they said it was due to the PS3 price cut.

Kaz has such a tall mountain to climb in front of him, I honestly can't imagine where to start correcting past mistakes let alone trying to stay ahead of the present at the same time as to not fall behind. Incredibly hard job. Seems like the solutions for each division are easy/obvious from the outside but the implementation is probably a nightmare at this point.

God speed sir. Start at the TV division.

Taurus

What is hilarious is that 360 had 1 year head start and barely beats PS3. So much for being a dominant console in 2, may be three countries.
Yeah, Sony's dun reel good dis gen! (Especially considering the starting situation, PS2 vs Xbox vs GC...)

TheNatural

My Member!
What is hilarious is that 360 had 1 year head start and barely beats PS3. So much for being a dominant console in 2, may be three countries.

What's hilarious is Sony is still losing $2 billion. I would call Sony finishing second place a Pyrrhic victory.

Road

Consumer Products & Services

Operating loss of 85.7 billion yen (1,099 million U.S. dollars) was recorded, compared to operating income of 63.5 billion yen in the same quarter of the previous fiscal year. This was primarily due to

(1) deterioration in equity in net income (loss) of affiliated companies,

(2) as well as a decrease in gross profit due to lower sales and deterioration in the cost of sales ratio, partially offset by a decrease in selling, general and administrative expenses.

(3) In the current quarter, Sony recorded an impairment loss of 63.4 billion yen (813 million U.S. dollars) on its shares of S-LCD to equity in net loss of affiliated companies, which is included in the CPS segment operating loss. In January 2012, Sony sold all of its shares of S-LCD to Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. for a sale price of 1.07 trillion
Korean Won (72.3 billion yen as of the sale date).

(4) Restructuring charges of 1.0 billion yen (13 million U.S. dollars) were recorded in the current quarter, compared to 3.6 billion yen in the same quarter of the previous fiscal
year.

Categories contributing to the deterioration in operating results (excluding restructuring charges and the impairment loss related to S-LCD mentioned above) include

(5) LCD televisions, reflecting a decline in unit selling prices that exceeded cost and expense reductions,

(6) and the game business, reflecting higher marketing costs to promote network service platforms and lower sales of PlayStation®3 hardware due to a strategic price reduction.

(7) Operating loss includes additional LCD panel related expenses resulting from low capacity utilization of S-LCD

(8) as well as the above-mentioned asset impairment of 2.1 billion yen (27 million U.S. dollars) associated with LCD television assets.

Basically they lose money in every imaginable way.

Averon

How much power does he really have to get things done though? Wasn't that one of the reasons Stringer wasn't able to accomplish much?

I think the board of directors will give Kaz the leeway he needs to turn the ship around. Limiting Stringer's power did nothing to improve Sony's position (it probably made it worse), and after this dismal earning performance, they have no reason not to. This may be swallow, but it also doesn't hurt that Kaz is Japanese himself, helps eliminated that language and cultural gap.

Erethian

How will they do that? They have no idea how to be profitable, hence, losing $2 billion in a holiday quarter.

They could release a system that is a more modest upgrade on the PS3 so that they don't lose crazy amounts of money on each unit sold.

But I agree that Sony has so far shown an inability to adjust to their loss of market leader status and change their business model accordingly. They need to realise they aren't the same Sony as 10 years ago.

TheNatural

My Member!
No expensive graphics card for one. They will need to keep the cost under $350 and retail the system for $350 to $400.

They could release a system that is a more modest upgrade on the PS3 so that they don't lose crazy amounts of money on each unit sold.

But I agree that Sony has so far shown an inability to adjust to their loss of market leader status and change their business model accordingly. They need to realise they aren't the same Sony as 10 years ago.

I know that it's technically possible to release a console that makes money, Nintendo does it well. It's just something Sony is functionally inept at, I don't think they even know how to do it if they tried.

I personally can't see Microsoft having built as much mindshare, market share, and overall strength (platform success is based more on monthly game and accessory sales, and MS is doing REALLY well) if they hadn't launched a year early.

I think it was a good call.

I also like the PS3.

demigod

PSN marketing? Am I reading that right? How could Sony be losing money from their online store?

Exactly why I said they can't be losing money in their gaming division. I doubt the $199 bundle made them lose money, if anything it would even out with their other sales before the holiday.

Are articles about how Sony should just focus on health insurance going to start popping up on mainstream sites? Just disaster after disaster. Wonder if they'll cut the PS3 price again in 2012 if PS3 sales start to lag (like they probably will) considering that they don't seem happy with the performance of the 2011 cut.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I know that it's technically possible to release a console that makes money, Nintendo does it well. It's just something Sony is functionally inept at, I don't think they even know how to do it if they tried.
Its mostly got to do with their business model of long product life cycles. They take a loss early on so that the product will last for a long time. They need to change this next gen if they want to profitable, and concentrate on delivering better services.

Yes because the only way to talk about a "Sony" issue is to bring up sales for fucking Xbox. Guess that concept just blows your mind huh.

If I started a "Pizza" company, and posted a financial summary for a year... I'd fucking compare my data with other "pizza" companies to see how i'm doing and if it's viable to continue.. asshat... so yes bringing xbox and nintendo into this is more than welcome and the logical thing to do.. unless you want to start brainstorming about advertising and things to help sony?

TheNatural

My Member!
Its mostly got to do with their business model of long product life cycles. They take a loss early on so that the product will last a long time. They need to change this next gen if they want to profitable, and concentrate on delivering better services.

I really don't think that has anything to do with why the PS2 has lasted so long. It was the weakest console. Their business model has more to do with taking huge losses because they thought they could make the hardware for the PS3 in house more efficiently and better than outsourcing it, and they lost their ass on it. They've basically lost all the money they made by getting into the videogame business in the first place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Isn't it said that Vita is more or less breaking even on the business overall (hardware+software)? I think the 'Vita model' is the one they'll follow for PS4. Even the R&D on Vita - while obviously existent - was modest enough to not drag the game business into a loss for most of the last while.

PSN marketing? Am I reading that right? How could Sony be losing money from their online store?

They've been doing a fair bit of discounting and promotions post-PSN hack, haven't they? It seems like they've been shoveling freebies at PS+ users. Stuff like that might be negatively impacting revenue.

I also don't know if it's accounted for under 'game' but they've been doing similar promo work to attract users to the music and video services, which I guess costs them to offer...

Top Bottom