• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica's first PS4 exclusive - Expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Sony Santa Monica is one of my favourite development studios, and I can't wait for their first PS4 exclusive. I know Cory Barlog broke PR, and mentioned at the last PSX that they're working on a new God of War, so that pretty much establishes what they're upto at that studio (though it's also possible a team is working on a different game. Maybe a new IP even). I'm hoping they announce it, in some form, at the next PSX.

But a new God of War has me really excited. I can't begin to imagine the level of scale that game will attain on new hardware, considering 3 and Ascension look godly already.

What are your hopes and expectations from this new game of theirs? Would you want it to go open-world (as several new titles are), or stick to linear 10-15 hour epic set-piece driven bliss?

I can't make my mind up. I'd love to see what they do in the open-world sphere, but I can't fathom God of War in that setting. Maybe something a little less open, like maybe Darksiders, would do the trick and add more gameplay? On a second note, I'd love more of what made God of War what it is. Brutal, unrelenting combat in a restricted, story-driven setting.

What do you all think? Open-world, linear or something wholly different from the two? (mention what as well, please)

P.S: If we're getting a new God of War, which we most likely are given Barlog's statement, it MUST be set in a whole different world. Greek Mythology is done and done. Can't have any of that again. That well is dry.

Eolz

Isn't there already a thread about whatever Sony's first party studios are doing or could do?
edit: sorry to be like that, but isn't it better to keep speculation in one thread?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Isn't there already a thread about whatever Sony's first party studios are doing or could do?
edit: sorry to be like that, but isn't it better to keep speculation in one thread?

There is, but I wanted to make a thread on SSM and what they, solely, can do, or will do, and what the fans want.

FranXico

P.S: If we're getting a new God of War, which we most likely are given Barlog's statement, it MUST be set in a whole different world. Greek Mythology is done and done. Can't have any of that again. That well is dry.

Well, Kratos did gain the power to jump back in time in GOW II...

Cleve

I don't know. Unless they have a major shakeup with a new setting, very different gameplay, or some thing I'm not expecting god of war as a franchise is beyond played out for me.

Griss

Magnificently unintentional clickbait.

Thought that was a real out there title, too, disappointed it's not real.

AAK

The Order 1886 and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were Co-developed by SSM so God of War won't be their first PS4 game.

Edit: OP title got me too. I had half a second of pure joy at the thought of a new IP until my brain properly analyzed the line.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The idea of a new God of War in a new mythology on PS4 has me absolutely giddy. I'd love for them to keep the locked camera angles, aim for 60 more consistently, and really beef up the combat depth.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Order 1886 and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were Co-developed by SSM so God of War won't be their first PS4 game.
SSM was just in a producer/marketing roll for those games. They didn't do any hands on development.

jett

D-Member
Gameplay-wise I have moderately low expectations from SSM, they've been giving us more or less the same stuff for the last 10 years. But I'm hopeful that the team really wants to try something different this time around.
No Kratos, plz.

Graphically I expect nothing less than my mind to be blown.

Corpsepyre

Banned

But not their internally developed games. They helped around with those titles, and RAD and The Chinese Room, were the main developers on said games respectively.

SephLuis

OP clickbaited everyone.

I would like for them to try something different than GoW or revamp GoW entirely. Make the combat more technical.

yurinka

I came here thinking this thread was about the announcement of their next game, called 'Expectations'. Please change this misleading thread title.

TI82

Banned
If it's God of War with Kratos: Big MEHHHH
If it's a new God of War series with new mythology: Cool, I'm interested

If it's however a completely new IP: A lot more interested

Ploid 3.0

WELL....Maybe a MOD can change the title to 'Your expectations'. :p

I guess you can guess that people excited to see it means there's a huge expectation for it. They do very impressive things, I just wonder if they can top ND (most likely, but who knows).

ND vs SSM.

I would buy this fighting game btw.

Corpsepyre

Banned
If it's God of War with Kratos: Big MEHHHH
If it's a new God of War series with new mythology: Cool, I'm interested

If it's however a completely new IP: A lot more interested

Really blows that their new IP got cancelled. Interested in knowing what it was all about some day.

Maybe it was called Expectations.

Jigolo

This is how you over hype a title and leave yourself disappointed. How about you let them make the announcement first.

I never really cared for the combat in the GoW games so I hope they add a bit more depth to it or alternatively, continue to focus on the puzzle and platforming elements, along with the scale that they did in GoW3 (which was my favorite out of the main three).

I wouldn't mind a more Zelda-esque influence too.

True Fire

God of War is so overdone. I want a new IP that will help define this generation, so the PS4 isn't just the home of video game sequel trilogies and HD remasters.

As much as I love God of War, 3 was the perfect ending, and I can't imagine anymore prequels can be done without really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of Greek legends.

A reboot series set anywhere other than Norse mythology would be cool, but I'd still rather something else. Maybe a Mark of Kri revival.

Corpsepyre

Banned
As much as I love God of War, 3 was the perfect ending, and I can't imagine anymore prequels can be done without really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of Greek legends.

A reboot series set anywhere other than Norse mythology would be cool, but I'd still rather something else. Maybe a Mark of Kri revival.

How was that the perfect ending? They left a door wide open at the very end for more games, obviously. If it had ended at the scene before the credits popped up, then sure, but that's not what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom