• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back Warhawk for the PS4

Another in the list of great IP mismanaged by Sony. I don't know why Dylan Jobe decided to make it a space cowboy themed game either with a story no-one cared for. That was a big misstep. I think Warhawk and Killzone 2 were the highlight MP games from Sony last gen and they haven't been able to replicate it. Maybe that's why people want Warhawk so badly.

Human_me

I'd be happy with just a port of the PS3 version.

But I'd love a brand new title as well.
Some of my best PS3 online gaming memories was on Warhawk.

AmyS

Hell yeah. Warhawk was one of the first games I bought after PS1 launched.

My early PS1 game library, in late 1995 consisted of:

Ridge Racer - Battle Arena Toshinden - The Raiden Project - Air Combat - Tekken - Warhawk.

9WtSVjm.jpg
6qgu9Y4.jpg

kingkenny76

Totally agree, I'm shit at multiplayer games (old man reflexes) but I absolutely loved Warhawk. I loved attaching mines to a jeep and driving it into an enemy base and jumping out at the last minute lol

Totally agree, I'm shit at multiplayer games (old man reflexes) but I absolutely loved Warhawk. I loved attaching mines to a jeep and driving it into an enemy base and jumping out at the last minute lol

Oh god the hilarity that would ensue with mines. Sneaking into an enemy base and rigging all of their warhawks and jeeps with mines was a fucking hobby of mine.

kingkenny76

Oh god the hilarity that would ensue with mines. Sneaking into an enemy base and rigging all of their warhawks and jeeps with mines was a fucking hobby of mine.

Yeah I fucking loved mines, I loved grabbing the flag in CTF jumping into a jeep and stick mines all over it and when the sneaky bastards in the Warhawk would try to tip you over with their hawk BOOM lol ah happy days

Yeah, I'd be happy with a Warhawk on PS4. It came bundled with my PS3 and although I was terrible at it, I always appreciated it. I'm glad to hear that it kept a strong following all those years after release.

I could personally see it doing well as either a F2P or £20 title with in-game purchases for cosmetics or whatever. Get it on PS+ when it's released to boost numbers if it's a paid title.

Keep it like Warhawk though, not Starhawk.

Yes and Microsoft should bring back Crimson Skies and Nintendo should bring back (Diddy Kong racing?) I need fun, quirky flying games with MP again.

GeoramA

It would be nice to see Lightbox come back and do the remaster, but that's probably a pipedream at this point.

Wonder what Bluepoint is tackling next...

Heartfyre

Shooting a hawk out of the sky with a tank is such an amazing feeling

Hawks were actually far more vulnerable than some posters seem to think. Every now and then, I could tank-snipe a Warhawk that was in flight mode, not to mention hover. There was a way of taking out any vehicle rapidly and mercilessly, so I thought it was pretty well balanced in that way. My primary bane as a tank-man was seeing people emerge from a hidden position in close proximity to me, spewing their flamethrower. There was pretty much nothing you could do but bail out, and either make some distance and shoot them or toss some grenades at their feet if you're feeling lucky.

Mr Git

Would very much like this, amazing local multiplayer as well. Is the PS3 online community still going? I might try and find a copy.

JimiNutz

Banned
Playing Star Wars Battlefront recently has made me remember how good Warhawk was.
I really love third person Battlefield type games. Would definitely buy another Warhawk day one.

Maybe if we make enough noise Sony will eventually listen?

I only got a PS3 in January of 2009 and I won Warhawk the next month in this weird Ninja costume party in PS Home (the only thing it was good for to me) and I played the crap out of the game. It was my Star Wars: Battlefront of last gen.

I have Star Wars: Battlefront now, but I'd still love to see Warhawk come back. I didn't even fly, I sucked at it. I was a tanker. Loved sniping with the tank.

TeddyBoy

Warhawk was one of my favourite PS3 games and I kept playing it for a good year after it's release.

Four player split screen was great as well, I always wanted to try an 8 player LAN game but never had enough friends/controllers round to get it done.

Just do a straight port with all DLC included Sony and I'll buy it.

MADGAME

Be better at hawk on hawk violence or learn to snipe with tanks

Later in the game's life cycle they buffed the damage output of the .50 caliber guns on the back of the jeeps. They became viable to take down hawks. Was a feelsgoodman moment when you and a buddy were in jeep being chased by one and and through team driving/shooting took it out. Not as satisfying as one-shotting a hawk from a tank though.

Archipelago and The Badlands were the best maps.

The best part of the game was how smooth everything was from beta forward. It really was awesome and the controls let just about everyone play with lock on dynamics.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
SCE cut their contract with Lightbox, so it was Sony, essentially, who tore them apart :(

Well I mean before all that. Incog Inc. (partially owned by SCE right?) and then a whole bunch spin-offs like Eat Sleep and Play and Lightbox. Incog disappeared and the other two became 3-5 man mobile developers.

Well I mean before all that. Incog Inc. (partially owned by SCE right?) and then a whole bunch spin-offs like Eat Sleep and Play and Lightbox. Incog disappeared and the other two became 3-5 man mobile developers.

Most of them (Jobe included) went to Lightbox, though. Some went to ESP to work with Jaffe

Would definitely be there, cluster bombing your planes.

While I loved cluster bombs, nothing ruined someone's day like the TOW missle

Maulik

This game with PS4's vastly superior online party chat system would be great. Back when PS3 still didn't have multi/tasking it was a chore to co ordinate.

The sniper was a three hit kill against hawks though, you didn't even need to hit the pilot. Likewise the rocket launcher was fairly easy to get on a lock on and did a lot of damage against hawks.

I believe you needed multiple RPG hits (I think 3) to bring down a Hawk as well. And that's no threat for a vehicle that can instantly chaff & turbo-boost away from danger in literally half a second.

I understand that Hawks were fun, but the game's high learning curve was due to imbalances like this. Most of the "complaints" LBI received about changes in SH were actually more balanced (like mech mode being grounded, and the aforementioned sniper no longer being 1 hit kill). We could've had something truly great if they didn't botch the B&B system so badly.

We gamers deserve more than just cash grabs and lazy games.
Also, imagine a new Warhawk with VR

I mentioned it before, but VR would mean it'd have to be in first person. Third person is best for Warhawk.

And bringing Warhawk to the PS4 as a port wouldn't just be a cash grab. It would be an easy project for Sony to gauge interest in a fully fleshed out sequel.

I was just thinking about how much fun Warhawk was, it was the first game on ps3 that I really enjoyed. I'd be happy to see it come back but not as Starhawk.

Top Bottom