• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back Warhawk for the PS4

tr00per

The only problem with PSVR for it is I don't think it would work well with the third person aspect, and I'll be cold and dead in the ground before they put Warhawk in first person

I mentioned it before, but VR would mean it'd have to be in first person. Third person is best for Warhawk.

Agreed they should NOT change it to first person (maaaaybe with a toggle but probably not) but VR doesn't HAVE to be first person. There would still be a lot to gain from going VR with a game like this. Think of it like having a third analog stick and a lot of eyefinity monitors. Your aim and your look are independent of each other. You can shoot one way and look another.

How many times have you had to back up and or aim up/behind just to grasp a battle situation? Like when you're a jeep gunner or being assaulted on ground and air? VR would allow you to see a lot more and look around more naturally. Not to mention Warhawk at 120fps and 3D audio would be intense. Or even asymmetric/social screen gameplay (no screen hopping)

And bringing Warhawk to the PS4 as a port wouldn't just be a cash grab. It would be an easy project for Sony to gauge interest in a fully fleshed out sequel.

Agreed. Especially If it was f2p. Not requiring ps plus would
also boost the player base too. How much effort would it really need? Here's a list I thought of:

Easy:
Ps4 party /game launching support
Multiple user sign in
Built-in all DLC
Share functions

Medium:
Allow dlc combination
Spotify
Ds4 lightbar/speaker (lock on/objective and zone capture/time warnings)
Ds4 sixaxis control
Remote play

Hard (wishlist) :
Native 1080p rendering
Upgrade textures/effects
More tutorials
More customization dlc
Allow ps4 servers
New maps? :)
7.1 support (did Warhawk do 7.1?) could Dolby atmos be retroactively added?

As a side note I always thought it would be interesting to have a level with an underground network that couldn't be shot at by hawks, with most or all zones being above ground. Sneaking through a tunnel to capture a far away zone, hearing explosions going off above you.

Sarobi

Banned
Warhawk threads show up every now and then, and that makes me happy.
Warhawk threads mean nothing to Sony, and that makes me sad.

I'd buy it twice if they decided to bring it to PS4 (Sequel or remaster)

X-Frame

I bought a PS3 specifically for Warhawks. I would buy a remaster in a heartbeat.

They don't even need to change anything. 1080p / 60 fps if that is relatively easy for them to do and then keep everything else the same really. Same dedicated serves. Same custom services. All DLC included.

CDV13

Yea they should...but no one bought Starhawk...which was awesome....so they won't.

If you mean just an upresed version of the game then yes they should.

i never played warhawk but i did starhawk which was dope as fuck, but from what im hearing here it sounds like i would enjoy it too if it were to happen

a free to play model could work great with the game

Because of how aiming works in Warhawk it'd be a great way to test how 3rd person games fair in VR. I'm still a big fan of how aiming works in the game, simple yet there still a large skill curve to ground combat (played this exclusively for over a year).

I've been nagging Dylan constantly for something. If not with Sony then as your own thing. It's crazy the type of games coming up through kickstarter and early access, especially passion project spiritual successors. Warhawk deserves at least this treatment.

AntMurda

Warhawks and Wipeout...

Just remastered games would suffice if the ROI doesn't seem high enough Shu.

I think SCE should reconsider the Wipeout, Socom, and Warhawk/Starhawk lines on the basis that the PS4 platform has much more potential than the PS3 early years.

TheMan

I've dreamed of a sequel to the original Warhawk (psx) since I was a kid. It will never happen, but it would be nice.

Ethelwulf

To me warhawk was the first game that felt next-gen back in the days. I support your idea, OP. Bring it back and lets rock the skies of Acadia one more time
I loved camping with laser binoculars

Widge

The joy of Warhawk was its purity, and its remarkably old school intentions; You had weapon pickups. Heath had to be obtained.

I love the unspoken bond of the community. I hate comms related multiplayer and the way that "vehicle being shot by pistol = wait, someone wants a lift" was perfect.

The only thing I didn't like was adding in jetpacks. Felt it broke the hard won/established front line warfare nature of the game. It was very much like Day Of Defeat:Source in that aspect.

Graphics wouldn't even need that much of an update. I loved the clean look that Warhawk had
Agreed. I have a friend who used to say he'd just boot up a game and roam around alone to stare at the details. It was his first large mapped game where he could be left alone with decent graphics, but still. The game looked great in its own stylized way.

Played some Warhawk yesterday using the free PS Now trial (which works great). The stylized art certainly helps the graphics hold up, and gameplay felt fresh as ever.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'd love to see this reborn. Either straight up or with a sequel. So much fun even though I was terrible at flying.

X-Frame

I just tweeted Shu also

I know this thread topic comes up often and then people get discouraged that it will never happen but hey maybe if we keep asking for it, it may happen. Considering how much larger the PS4 install base is compared to launch PS3 community in 2007 I could totally see a Remaster doing very well.

Couldn't a complete separate third party team also port or remaster this? Would Dylan be needed?

Maybe I'm just being naive though.

Qwark

Loved Warhawk, I would buy it if it came back. Grenades were just so satisfying in that game.

Sony has no involvement with Planetside anymore, correct? So there wouldn't be any market cannibalism going on.

I know this thread topic comes up often and then people get discouraged that it will never happen but hey maybe if we keep asking for it, it may happen. Considering how much larger the PS4 install base is compared to launch PS3 community in 2007 I could totally see a Remaster doing very well.

Couldn't a complete separate third party team also port or remaster this? Would Dylan be needed?

Maybe I'm just being naive though.

Dylan wouldn't be needed, but it would be nice for his team to do it since Warhawk is his baby. Otherwise, I'd love to see Bluepoint on it

Other impossible dreams:
Microsoft actually gets on board with cross-platform multiplayer
Westwood Studios is refounded
Ubisoft makes a game where the only thing you do is blow up radio towers

Pejo

Warhawk PS3 was the only Multiplayer-only game I ever played for extended amounts of time. I still really wish there was a campaign, but I had so much fun I wouldn't even mind if it came back as Multi-only again. I keep hearing if I liked it, I would probably like Battlefield but I feel like they're different types of games.

God dammit I watched some gameplay and was reminded how ridiculous this game is.

Dunno how it didn't sell a billion copies.

DJChuy

I would love to see Warhawk on the PS4. I spent countless of hours on it and was pretty much addicted to it. Definitely one of the best multiplayer games I've played. I never got good at flying, so I mostly stayed with ground combat.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Loved Warhawk, I would buy it if it came back. Grenades were just so satisfying in that game.

Sony has no involvement with Planetside anymore, correct? So there wouldn't be any market cannibalism going on.

Indeed. The other enormously fun thing was proximity mines in surprising tight corners. Not since Goldeneye have those things been so much fun.

A remastered version of this would be an instant buy for me. I would actually buy multiple copies to ensure friends who missed out the first time could enjoy. This was (and probably is) my favourite multiplayer experience and one that I keep dreaming will either re-release or get a proper sequel.

X-Frame

Indeed. The other enormously fun thing was proximity mines in surprising tight corners. Not since Goldeneye have those things been so much fun.

My favorite was CTF when nobody on my team seemed to have any interest in grabbing the flag so I had to make sure to cap the zone closest to the enemy home base, grab a jeep and land mines and drive into their base without being detected.

Then I park it where I'll jump down to after I grab the flag and pointing the other way. I mine the area around my jeep and save a mine or 2 for after I grab the flag to cover my escape -- hop into my jeep and speed off out of their base ...

... only to be destroyed by 4 Warhawks as soon as I drive away.

But every once in awhile the stars will align and friendly Tanks will arrive to cover my escape, friendly Warhawks will come and give me air support as I drive back feeling like a badass ...

... until I'm sniped 4 feet from capping the flag! Then a random person picks it up and scores 2 seconds later.

Ahhh, so much fun!

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Warhawk. Not Starhawk.

If this happens then FML for the rest of this console generation.

Not really in a position to hook my PS3 backup so hell yeah!

Just add a random matchmaking (or maybe it had one, I forget) since I don't want to look through a list of games and don't divide the community with dlc and we'd be set. Just porting Warhawk on PS3 is enough. (With all DLC.)

Top Bottom